FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA Flotilla-Australia

 

 

A to Z
quick link

Babinda
Balcatta
Bellata
Benowa
Berringa
Bethanga
Birriwa
Boobyalla
Borrika
Bundarra
Cethana
Challamba
Coolcha
Culburra
Delungra
Dilga
Dinoga
Dromana
Dumosa
Dundula
Echuca
Echunga
Elouera
Emita
Enoggera
Eromanga
Erriba
Esperance Bay
Eudunda
Eugowra
Eurelia
Eurimbla
Euroa
Euwarra
Ferndale
Fordsdale
Hobsons Bay
Jervis Bay
Largs Bay
Moreton Bay







FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

Of


AUSTRALIAN
COMMONWEALTH GOVERNMENT
LINE of STEAMERS


also known as

AUSTRALIAN COMMONWEALTH LINE

1914-28


CONTINUED
PAGE 2





THE WOODEN SHIPS
built in United States
carried initial prefixes of "B' and "C"

owing shortage of steel and wartime rationalisation of resources, these vessels were ordered. Seemingly a pragmatic decision at the time - noting the U.S. had planned 477 to be constructed for their own purposes, however these wooden vessels were a disaster with only a few reaching Australian shores
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BELLATA
1918-22
BETHANGA
1918-22
BUNDARRA
1918-22
BERRINGA
1918-22
BIRRIWA
1918-23
BELLATA, BETHANGA & BUNDARRA images courtesy State Library Victoria
BELLATA 2959 gross tons. Lb: 81.4 x 14.6 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Brisbane. First to arrive Australian shores Brisbane January 1919. Nicnamed 'belated' & 'butter-boat' by first trans - pacific crew because of her shoddiness. Renamed Xenia by new owners 'Foreign & Domestic' late 1919. November 1921 renamed Bellata. Hulked end of 1922
BETHANGA 3014 gross tons Lb: 81.7 x 14.8 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney New South Wales. Arrived Newcastle 14 July 1919 1920 renamed Petunia by new owners 'Foreign & Domestic'. November 1923 renamed Bethanga. Hulked end of 1922. Scuttled by fire off Sydney August 1930
BUNDARRA 3016 gross tons. Lb: 81.4 x 14.8 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne. Arrived Melbourne 4 April registered at Sydney from 21 May 1919 until 9 August 1922. Hulked Sydney August 1924. Destroyed by fire 1st October 1926
BERRINGA 3007 gross tons. Lb: 81.7 x 14.8 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney New South Wales. Renamed Dahlia by new owners 'Foreign & Domestic'. November 1920 and again renamed Berringa. Hulked 1923 at Sydney. Scuttled off Sydney Heads, August 1930
BIRRIWA 2989 gross tons. Lb: 81.7 x 14.7 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney New South Wales. Renamed Wisteria by new owners 'Foreign & Domestic'. November 1920 renamed Birriwa. Hulked Sydney July 1923


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CETHANA
1918-33
CHALLAMBA
1919-27
COOLCHA
1918-23
CULBURRA
1917-41
COOLCHA image courtesy of State Library Victoria
CULBURRA image courtesy of State Library New South Wales
CETHANA 2,305 gross tons. Lb: 80 x 14.1 metres. Wooden twin screw motorship built at Sloan Shipyard, Olympia USA for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Hobart. Diesel engine making 9 knots. Registered at Hobart from 10 December 1918 until 31 January 1920. Unknown exact date came under control of the Chilberg Line, Seattle. Broken up early 1933
CHALLAMBA 2,368 gross tons. Lb: 79.9 x 14.1 metres. Wooden twin screw motorship built at Sloan Shipyard, Olympia USA for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne. Diesel engine making 9 knots. Registered at Melbourne from 16 January 1919 until 10 January 1920. Later unknown date under control of the Chilberg Line, Seattle. Chartered later again by the Admiral line. Stranded on White Cliff Island, British Columbia, June 16 1927. Totally wrecked and broken up
COOLCHA 2,403 gross tons. Lb: 80.4 x 14.1 metres. Wooden twin screw motorship built at Sloan Shipyard, Olympia USA for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Fremantle. Diesel engine making 9 knots. Registered at Fremantle from 26 February 1919 until 31 December 1919. Later unknown date under control of the Chilberg Line, Seattle. Wrecked Albert Head, British Columbia 14 February 1923 and broken up at Seattle commencing 2 may 1923
CULBURRA 2,322 gross tons. Lb: 79.8 x 14.2 metres. Wooden twin screw motorship built at Sloan Shipyard, Olympia USA for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Adelaide. Diesel engine making 9 knots. Registered at Adelaide from from 20 November 1918 until 26 January 1920. Later unknown date of the Chilberg Line, Seattle. The Admiral line chartered the vessel between 1925 and 1931 and operated it on the Puget Sound to California and Alaska trades. Sold 1935. Scrapped january 1941

In Summary
Several of these wooden vessels were moored together (mothballed) in one of Sydney Harbour's numerous bays. Prone to vandalism, one evening they caught ablaze and gaining full attention of the Harbour firefighting boats and various authorities. When it was observed that the more they burnt, the higher out of the water they arose, it was quickly decided NOT to put out the inferno, allowing the flames to rid the Harbour City of an eyesore

"babinda-acl"

Other vessels ordered and built but not registered in Australia were


BABINDA 3,099 gross tons. Lb: 81.9 x 14.8 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built and completed in December 1918 by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney. Diesel engine making 9.5 knots. 1919 of the Chilberg Line. Caught fire off Santa Cruz, California 3 March 1923 and sank the following day
BALCATTA 3,109 gross tons. Lb: 81.9 x 14.7 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built and completed in August 1919 by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney. Diesel engine making 9.5 knots. 1919 of the Chilberg Line. 1923 owned by Wiegand & Co., and renamed Presidente Alessandri. Destroyed by fire off Tocopilla 3rd June 1923
BENOWA 3,093 gross tons. Lb: 81.7 x 14.7 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built and completed in November 1918 by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney. Diesel engine making 9.5 knots. 1919 of the Chilberg Line Broken up at San Francisco late 1923
BOOBYALLA 3,100 gross tons. tons. Lb: 81.8 x 14.7 metres. Wooden twin screw steamship built and completed in October 1919 by Patterson-MacDonald, Seattle. Intended for the Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney but not accepted. Diesel engine making 9.5 knots. Registered at Tacoma 1919 for the Chilberg Line (J E Chilberg ). Destroyed by fire near Victoria, British Columbia 12 May 1929
BORRIKA Not completed believed intentionally burnt on the stocks at Sloan Shipyard, Olympia USA


The "D" Class vessels

Ed Ed Ed
DELUNGRA
1919-51
DILGA
1920-53
DINOGA
1920-59
DELUNGRA image as the Corio, DILGA & DINOGA images courtesy State Library Victoria
DELUNGRA 3,346 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 41'9: x 23'6". Built at Walsh Island Sydney. Early 1920's chartered to Scott Fell's Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd taking timber from Bunbury, Western Australia to Mauritius. Sold 1926 to Huddart Parker & Co., renamed Corio. Served WW2. Ran on to Admella reef off Carpenter's Rocks, South Australia 26 February 1951
DILGA 3,308 gross tons, 1,949 net. Lbd: 331' X 47'9" X 23'5". (100.9 x 14.6 metres) Steel steamship built at the State Government dockyard Newcastle, New South Wales for the Australian Government Line. Cargo vessel. Triple expansion engine 510 nhp. 9.5 knots. Owned by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd from 1925. Scrapped at Yokohama February 1953
DINOGA 3,341 gross tons. Lbd: 100.88 x 14.54 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo only as built at Walsh Island Sydney for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Line of Steamers as the Dinoga. Triple expansion engine saw a service speed of 10 knots. Sold to Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne in 1926 and renamed Colac. 1951 acquired by J Paterson & Co and renamed Easby. 1956 purchased by J.Manners & Co (Hong Kong) and renamed Clyde Breeze. Scrapped Foochow 1959


Ed Ed Ed
DROMANA
1919-42
DUMOSA
1920-54
DUNDULA
1920-53
DROMANA & DUNDULA images courtesy of State Library Victoria
DUMOSA image courtesy of State Library New South Wales
DROMANA 3,350 gross tons. Lb: 100.9 x 14.5 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo only as built at Williamstown Victoria for the Commonwealth Line of Steamers. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1926 Howard Smith Ltd., Melbourne. 1935 sold to Chung Hsing Coal, Shanghai and renamed Yih Hsing. 1938 sold to Java China Trading Co., renamed Beatrice. 1941 captured bu Japanese Government forces and renamed Biwa Maru. Sunk after a collision 3.54S/109.13E 1st November 1942
DUMOSA 3,351 gross tons. Lb: 100.9 x 14.6 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo only as built at Williamstown Victoria for the Commonwealth Liner of Steamers. Triple expansion engine making 9 knots. Sold 1923 to James Paterson & Co. Sold 1952 to Gulf Steamships and renamed Mustanseri. Broken up at Karachi mid to late 1954
DUNDULA 3,344 gross tons, 1,936 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'5". Triple expansion engine = 520 nhp. Built as a cargo vessel at the Commonwealth Naval (Cockatoo Island) dockyard Sydney, New South Wales for the Australian Goverment Line. Sold 1925 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Sold for scrapping February 1953


The "E" Class vessels

Ed Ed Ed Ed
ECHUCA
1921-41
ECHUNGA
1922-57
EMITA
1920-35
ENOGGERA
1920-51
ECHUCA image personal collection, ECHUNGA image (a637332r), ENOGGERA images courtesy of State Library New South Wales, EMITA image courtesy State Library Victoria
ECHUCA 3363 gross tons. Lbd: 332'7" x 47'1" x 27'1". (101.4 x 14.4 metres) Steel single screw steamship, cargo only as built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough Queensland for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Echuca. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1924 to Australasian United S N Co., and renamed Mareeba in January 1925. scuttled in the Indian Ocean (8.15N/88.06E) by the German raider Kormoran 26 June 1941
ECHUNGA 3362 gross tons. Lbd: 332'5" x 47'9" x 23'5". (101.3 x 14.6 metres) Steel single screw steamship built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough Queensland for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line. Sold 1925 to Scott Fell's Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd., for use as a collier, retaining original name. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1957 to Wheelock Marden and renamed Shona. Scrapped at Hong Kong February 1959
EMITA 3346 gross tons, 1919 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'5". Steel single screw steamship built at the Williamstown Dockyard, Victoria for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Emita. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold December 1925 to AUSN Co renamed Milora in January 1927. Inward bound from Newcastle with coal, she ran ashore and wrecked on Rondella Reef off Point Lonsdale Victoria on 21st September 1934. Refloated, declared a constructive loss, stripped of all fittings and scuttled off Torquay Victoria on March 8th 1935
ENOGGERA 3,478 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 47'7" x 26'1". Steel single screw steamship built at the State Dockyard, Walsh Island, Newcastle New South Wales for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Enoggera. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1924 to AUSN Co renamed Mildura in December of that year. Served WW2. July 1951 sold for scrapping purposes and remained laid up on Sydney Harbour until towed to Hong Kong 1954 and demolished


Ed Ed Ed Ed
EROMANGA
1921-40
ERRIBA
1921-54
EUDUNDA
1920-64
EUGOWRA
1922-64
EROMANGA & ERRIBA images courtesy State Library Victoria
EUDUNDA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
EROMANGA 3,359 gross tons. Lb 100.9 x 14.6 metres. Steel single screw steamship built at the State Dockyard, Walsh Island, Newcastle New South Wales for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Eromanga. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. December 1925 sold to the AUSN Co and renamed Maranoa. Sold November 1934 to unknown Japanese buyers and handed over on 24th January 1935 at Kobe. Immediately resold to Johan Gran and renamed Mione. February 1937 sold to V K Soong and renamed Fu Yuang. East bound from Nauru to Japan 33.05N/139.05E she foundered on 26th January 1940
ERRIBA 3,345 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'6". (110.9 x 14.6 metres) Steel single screw steamship built at the Commonwealth Dockyard Williamstown Victoria for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Erriba. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1926 to AUSN Co and renamed Murada in January 1927. Served WW2 surviving a submarine attack in 1942. Sold June 1947 to Cia Atalaya de Naviera, Panama (E Yannoulatos)and renamed Nymphe. Renamed Hellenic Nymphe soon after. Demolition began at Spezia on 5th February 1954
EUDUNDA 3,352 gross tons. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 23'5". (100.9 x 14.6 metres) Steel single screw steamship built Cockatoo Island Naval Dockyard, Sydney for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Chartered by Burns Philp & Co Ltd (South Seas) subsidiary in 1925 and bought in 1926, being renamed Mangola. Transferred to Burns Philp & Co Singapore registry in 1938. Later registered at Sydney. Sold 1958 to Hong Kong interests with John Manners & Co., as Managers. Renamed Torres Breeze. 1958 sold to Chinese Government renamed Foo Chow. Scrapping began November 1964 at Hong Kong
EUGOWRA 3,345 gross tons, 1,909 net, 6,170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". (100.9 x 14.6 metres). Steel single screw steamship built Poole & Steel, Port Adelaide for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line. Triple expansion three cylinder engine built by the shipbuilder. 516 nhp, service speed 10 knots. Crew: 46. Originally laid down as the Erina on the stocks for Australian Government's Commonwealth Line of Steamers, but launched and completed as Eugowra when commissioned 13th June 1923. Was chartered out to James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., who employed her on some voyages carrying BHP cargoes. Sold 1925 to Broken Hill Pty Co (BHP) Australia and renamed Iron Warrior. 1957 sold to V B Bendix and renamed Zeus. 1963-64 sold to Lee Shek Tung and renamed Dorar. Wrecked E Chau Is, Hong Kong 5th September 1964


Ed Ed Ed
EURELIA
1920-51
EURIMBLA
1921-57
EUWARRA
1922-55
EURELIA image courtesy State Library Victoria
EURIMBLA & EUWARRA (as Iron Knob a637819r) images courtesy State Library New South Wales
EURELIA 3351 gross tons. Lb: 100.9 x 14.6 metres. Steamship built Walsh Island Newcastle in the State Dockyard for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line as the Eurelia. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1926 to AUSN Co renamed Mungana. Served WW2. Sold January 1951 for scrapping purposes and demolished at Hong Kong 2nd quarter of 1951
EURIMBLA 3351 gross tons, 1,916 net, 6170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". Steel, single screw steamship, "E class" built by Poole & Steele Ltd., Adelaide as the Eurimbla for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government Liner of Steamers. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine (by shipbuilder) 516 nominal horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots. Crew 46. Was fitted with limited refrigeration. 3 December 1921 commissioned and 19 January 1922 arrived at Melbourne for drydocking and was her only voyage for the Commonwealth Liner of Steamers. Sold 9th November 1923 to BHP renamed Iron Master and registered at Melbourne. Serviced this concern's terminal ports in the products cargo service with more than her fair share of incidents. Had struck Corsair rock early in her career, damaged a propellor after striking submerged submarine in Williamstown dock Melbourne, and grounded herself off Bulli Head New South Wales 1942 in fog with subsequent damage requiring 72 new plates. A normal situation there would have her written off, but as there was a war going on repairs were deemed essential. Was converted to oil-firing 1927 but this was disengaged at a later date owing to the instability it caused to the delicate balance of the ship with her payload of iron and coal. May 1946 and October 1955 alterations made to accomodation and (1955) additional structure added to poop deck. Made a total of 384 voyages in 34 years with this Company. July 1957 sold to Cambray Prince Steamship Co Ltd, Hong Kong (J Manners & Co as managers) and handed over on 1st March 1958. April 1958 registered at Hong Kong with name of Tasman Breeze tentatively approved. Laid up until March 1959 when delivered to Shun Fung Ironworks Ltd., Hong Kong (a J Manners subsidiary) for scrapping purposes
EUWARRA 349 gross tons, 1,907 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". Steel single screw steamship, "E class" as built by Poole & Steele Ltd., Adelaide as the Euwarra for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government Liner of Steamers, and registered Newcastle New South Wales. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine (by shipbuilder) 516 nominal horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots. Crew 46. Sold 9th October 1923 to BHP renamed Iron Knob. Serviced most routes of this concern in the era included being the first to load limestone from Rapid Bay in the St Vincent Gulf of South Australia for Whyalla. Also took first load of dolomite at Ardrossan. In 32 years service between Newcastle and southern Australian ports (393 voyages) she carried approx 3.2 million tons of cargo as scrap and pig iron, dolomite, limestone and iron ore. Sold in 1955 to Panatiotis Vrangos of Trieste and renamed upon delivery as Clarisse registered Panama. She sank in the Indian Ocean on 15th July 1957 bound from Mormugao India to Trieste. Heavy weather caused a port side leak that flooded the engineroom and, when plates sprang on the outer hull orders were made for abandonment. Master and 21 survivors landed at Durban via the oil tanker Justin Walker


note: EUROA Built Williamstown, 1923 laid down as the EUROA but transferred ownership to Scott Fell's Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd., and renamed Iron Crown. See BHP Shipping
ELOUERA 3352 tons Laid down as the Elouera for Australian Government but transferred ownership to BHP during construction and renamed Iron Prince. See BHP Shipping


Ed


The FIVE "BAY" vessels

Ed Ed Ed Ed
ESPERANCE BAY
1922-55
HOBSONS BAY
1921-55
LARGS BAY
1922-40
LARGS BAY
ACL postcard
ESPERANCE BAY 13,837 gross tons. Lb:161.8 x 20.8 metres. Passenger-cargo vessel built by Wm Beardmore & Co, Dalmuir, Yard No 617 for Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Fremantle. 4 x Steam Turbine DR geared to two sc shafts, 3 x Double Ended & 2 x Single Ended Forced Draught Boilers supplying superheated steam at max pressure 220lbs. Engines by Shipbuilder. 1924-28 Australian Commonwealth Line of Steamers, Fremantle. 1928-33 White Star Line (G Thompson & Co), London. 1933-36 Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line Ltd, London. 1936-55 Shaw, Savill & Albion Co Ltd, Southampton who renamed her Arawa. 1939-41 Admiralty Requisition. Served as armed merchant cruiser. Returned to owners resuming normal services. 21 May 1955 arrived for scrapping at Newport, Monmouthshire
HOBSONS BAY 13,837 gross tons. Lb: 161.7 x 20.8 metres. Twin screw, steam turbine steamship built by Vickers, Barrow for Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers. Passenger-cargo. Service speed 16 knots. 1928 purchased by White Star Line (G Thompson & Co), London. 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line. 1936 renamed Esperance Bay August 1955 scrapped at Faslane
LARGS BAY 13,853 gross tons. Lb: 530'9" x 68'3" (161.8 x 20.8 metres) Passenger-cargo steamship built by W Beardmore & Co, Dalmuir, Yard No 616 for Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Adelaide. 1928 sold to Aberdeen-White Star Line, London and rebuilt to 14184 gross tons. 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, London. Troopship during WW2. Returned to owners, being refitted 1948-49. Last sailing 11th January 1957. Scrapped at Barrow in Furness. After her sale to breakers the Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line wound up. Scrapping commenced 22 August 1957


Ed Ed
MORETON BAY
1921-57
MORETON BAY
ACL postcard
MORETON BAY 13,855 gross tons. Lb: 161.7 x 20.8 metres. Passenger-cargo steamship built by Vickers, Barrow for Commonwealth Line of Steamers. Twin scew, steam turbine making 16 knots. 1928 purchased by Aberdeen-White Star Line, 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line. April 1957 scrapped at Barrow


Ed Ed


JERVIS BAY
1922-40


13,839 gross tons. Lb: 549 x 69 x 33 feet. (161.7 x 20.8 metres). Passenger-cargo steamship built at Vickers Ltd at Barrow in Furness in 1922, originally to carry emigrants across the oceans to Australia. 16 knots (26 kph) Compliment - 254 souls. Requisitioned by the Admiralty in September 1939. 1928 purchased by White Star Line. 1933 transferred to Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line. Requisitioned by the British Admiralty, she became HMS Jervis Bay, an Armed Merchant Cruiser mounting 7 x 6 inch guns of WW1 vintage, and 2 x 3 inch AA guns. Her speed, a modest 15 knots. Jervis Bay sailed out of Halifax, the sole escort for 38 ships forming Convoy HX 84, on the 28th. of October 1940. In the Geman pocket battleship Admiral Scheer, her Captain Krancke, with his ship's 11 inch guns had learned through Naval intelligence that HX 84 was on its way, and his ship stood directly in their path. Jervis Bay, being ahead of the convoy, steered towards the un-identified vessel that was the Admiral Scheer 8 nautical miles in the distance. Unable to withstand the superior firepower brought against her, Jervis Bay, at full steam with guns a-blazing (WW1 guns courtesy British Admiralty), withstood several direct 'hits' in deflecting attention away from the then scurrying convoy. She is famously and heroically recorded as sunk (52.26N/32.34W 5.11.40) by German cruiser Admiral Scheer while protecting convoy as Armed Merchant Cruiser (190). Captain Fegan was awarded a posthumous Victory Cross for his gallant fight and sacrifice which saved many of Convoy HX 84
A loss of 190 crew. However, while Admiral Scheer went on to sink five merchant ships out of the convoy, Jervis Bay's sacrifice bought enough time for the convoy to scatter, and the remaining ships escaped. Sixty-five survivors from Jervis Bay (Captain Fegen not amongst them) were picked up by the neutral Swedish ship Stureholm.
for full details see http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/
Such were the Noble actions of this vessel's Captain in World War 2 that the Royal Australian Navy carries on the name Jervis Bay in all areas with utmost respect. In Melbourne, Victoria Australia at the Immigration Museum, Customs House on Flinders Street is an exact scale model over 2 metres in length and a 'must see' item


Ed
ESPERANCE BAY
menu 1934

Ed
pass the salt please


The two "FORD" Class vessels
Built as the most advanced in design and power and functionability for the era. Within a climate of parliamentary distaste and union unrest, these vessels never had a chance
Ed Ed
FERNDALE
1924-32
FORDSDALE
1924-59
FERNDALE image courtesy State Library Victoria
FERNDALE 9,949 gross tons. Lb: 152.4 x 19.3 metres. Steel twin screw steamship built Cockatoo Island Dockyards, Sydney. Refrigerated. Cargo only. Quadruple expansion engine. Service speed of 16 knots. At the time, she was one of the most powerful and modernistic cargo vessels of her type, set to re-define ocean-going tranportation methods. Unfortunately owing to many political factors, namely British shipping magnates, domestic goverment and equally damning, Trade Unions, saw this vessel never finding harmony in reaching her full potential. Often laid up - strike bound, suiting the foreign concerns trading Australian waters and earmarked for disposal by the then Prime Minister Stanley Bruce, she virtually had no chance. Equally astounding was the fact BHP were in need of tonnage to transport their produce. (Editor's note: You can never sell the future to 'yesterdays men'). Sold 1928 to Aberdeen-White Star Line. Wrecked Algeria (36.55N/3.55E ) 17th June 1932
In summary - even a classic ship such as this one had, like most under White Star Line, come to grief too soon
FORDSDALE 9,928 gross tons. Lb: 152.4 x 19.3 metres. Steel twin screw steamship (Refrigerated) built at Cockatoo Island Dockyards, Sydney. Cargo only. Quadruple expansion engine. Service speed of 15 knots. All the attributes (and tribulations) of her sistership Ferndale. Sold 1928 to Aberdeen-White Star Line. 1933 transferred to Shaw, Savill & Albion. 1952 sold to Audax Shipping, Hong Kong (owner - C Y Tung) renamed Ocean Neptune. 1954 renamed Pacific Trader. 1956 renamed Atlantic Concord. 1958 renamed Jui Yung. Recorded as C Y Tung owned with all name changes since exit from Shaw Savill ownership. Scrapped at Osaka June 1959


REBIRTH


AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING BOARD

This organisation was formed, as the Board, in March 1941.
Concerned initially with control of overseas ships chartered for the Australian coastal trade
and all ships built by Australian shipyards, its first "A" Class
(later becoming popularly known as the "River" Class) ship was commissioned in mid-1943.

By the end of the Second World War, eight "River" Class ships were in service
the new ships being allocated to private shipping companies for management.
There were thirteen RIVER class ships built in total and, further post war construction
saw massive local shipbuilding of many and varied ships for the coastal needs

The AUSTRALIAN COASTAL SHIPPING COMMISSION (ACSC)
was established by an Act of Parliament on 1 October 1956, to take over and manage
vessels previously under the control of the AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING BOARD
On 1 January 1957, Australian Shipping Board commenced the transfer of ownership
of the existing vessels and the fleet began operating under the title of
the AUSTRALIA NATIONAL LINE

SEE AUSTRALIA NATIONAL LINE

SEE Commonwealth Line of Steamers PAGE 1

TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-11 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved