FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

PAGE 2
A to Z
quick jump

Edina
Ellen
Era (1)
Era (2)
Era (3)
Eskdale
Ethel Jackson
Eumeralla
Express (1)
Express (2)
Express (3)
Fiado
Franklin
Gabo
Gambier
Geelong
George Rennie
Gerringong
Governor Blackall
Howard-Smith (tug)
Howard-Smith (oil/bulk 1964)
Howard-Smith (bulk 1981)
Iceberg
Innisfail
Island-Seaway
Julia Percy
Keilawarra
Kintore
Konoowarra
Kotuku
Kowarra
Kuaka
Lady Isobel
Lass O'gowrie
Leura
Lindesay Clark
Lomavita
Macedon (1)
Macedon (2)
Macedon (3)
Maggie L Weston
Maid Of The Yarra
Malachite
Manawatu
Marrawah

PORT AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES



IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA ESSENTIAL DATA

OF

Ed Ed Ed

HOWARD SMITH
Limited

also traded as
W Howard Smith Ltd.
W H Smith & Sons Limited


AUSTRALIAN STEAMSHIPS Limited

became
HOWARD SMITH INDUSTRIES

Proprietary Limited from June 1964



Page 1
Aa-Du
THIS IS PAGE 2 Page 3
Mo-Yu







Ed Ed Ed
Funnel - early Handbook Funnel - traditional


Hover mouse over image to enlarge


EASTERN ENTERPRISE

1978-2003


55,465 gross tons, 81131 dwt. Lb: 231 x 44 metres. Oil tanker built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki as the Nordic Spirit for Anglo Nordic Bulkships, London. Single screw, diesel engine making 16.5 knots. Bareboat chartered 1981 initially for 3 years and in a back to back arrangement, was also time chartered to both Total and Amoco. Stopped over at Singapore upon delivery voyage for conversion into Australian crew conditions, and arriving Port Botany 15 November 1981, discharging oil for the 'Total' Oil concern. Completed discharge at Shell Gore Bay Port Jackson. Employed on a six month service transporting Bass Strait crude along the Australian coast and,six months transporting Persian Gulf crude to Australia. Charter extended to 1987 from (possibly acting as agents or, as existing owners since Anglo-Nordic Bulkships) - Killean Ltd, Bermuda. 1987 sold to Panilette Ltd, London renamed Rutland. 1987 renamed Constitution. 1999 renamed Aptera M. Broken up at Alang January 2003
image on Sydney Harbour now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details



EDINA

1854-1938


323 gross tons, 239 net. Lbd: 171' x 23'6" x 12'7". Iron steamship, built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, for the Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co, Leith. Held 2 cylinder engine = 60hp. 1880 tonnage increased to 380 gross, 223 net. 1882 new engine and boiler, engine being compounded = 85hp. Registered Melbourne March 1863 for S G Henty. October 1863 owned by S & E Henty. March 1868 owned by Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, registered at Warrnambool. She ran the Victorian coastal ports of Warrnambool and Portland to Melbourne. Became better known in the bay trade when, in June 1875 purchased by W H Smith & Partners under the banner of the Melbourne Steam Ship Co, registered Melbourne. Of W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd as at October 1883. Of Howard Smith Ltd July 1901. Of Australia Steamships Ltd December 1913. Since 1875 serviced the Melbourne - Geelong passenger trade up to 1937, gaining enormous popularity owing to her longevity. In 1899, she rammed and sank her rival, the Excelsior, in Hobsons Bay, Port Phillip. which was raised seven months later. At her concept mid 1850's, she was chartered by the British Admiralty for service in the Crimean War. When she arrived at Melbourne on March 7th, 1863 she did so under sail only and, worked the western ports of Victoria to Melbourne. Also underwent a few voyages across the Tasman Sea to New Zealand mid 1860's during the height of their 'goldrush' era. Melbourne Steam Ship Company despatched her to Queensland in 1875, (carrying 80 passengers in 2 classes) working her from Sydney to Brisbane and later extending her itinerary further north as far as Maryborough. Under W H Smith's ownership in 1883 she was re-engined and some superficial alterations also made. 1938 sold to The Victorian Lighterage Co., Melbourne, converted into a lighter and renamed Dina. Broken up in Melbourne 1957


Upper left image in her original rig and soon to be published here as a postcard etc
Upper right image as a watercolour by AC Green, Melbourne now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details
lower left image aerial at Portarlington available for purchase
lower right image - her final voyage courtesy State Library of Victoria


ELLEN

1883-1908


91 gross tons. 1885 purchased from C C Breslin, Gladstone. Details scarce, builder or built at Vallejo, San Francisco. How this small vessel was employed also unknown. 1903 sold to E J Mountjoy, Melbourne. As a trawler, ran aground at Morgan's Beach about one and a half miles north of Cape Jervis Yankalilla South Australia, 12 December 1908
image aground at Morgan's Beach now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details


Ed



ERA (1)

1888-1918


2,379 gross tons. Lb: 91.2 x 11.7 metres. Cargo vessel built by Withy, Middleton for W H Smith & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Single screw. Triple expansion engine. Torpedoed or mined 18nm NExE Cape Tenez off Algeria during 1st May 1918
image at Port Melbourne now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details


ERA (2)

1921-55


3148 gross tons. Lb: 108 x 14.9 metres. Cargo vessel built by Hamilton at Glen Yard for this concern. Single screw. Triple expansion engine making 10.5 knots. Scrapped at Hong Kong June 1955
image at Port Melbourne now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details


ERA (3)

1987-


54,880 gross tons. Lbd: 758' x 151' x 46'. Oil tanker built by Samsung Ship Building and Heavy Industries Company in South Korea. Completed January 1987. 1985 officially under ownership of Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd, Melbourne with takeover of R W Miller. 1996 transferred to Intercontinental Ship Management Ltd. Scrapping began at Alang 25 January 2002
image in R W Miller livery now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click photo for details


ETHEL JACKSON

1876-1913


115 gross tons. Paddle steamer. Built at Echuca, 1876, by R. Wilson. 1897 purchased from G A Carpenter, Melbourne, 1905 sold to Scott & Young of Melbourne. 1913 converted to hulk at Townsville, 1914 re-purchased, 1918 scrapped
image as river paddle steamer circa 1888 pending


EUMERALLA

1908-35


906 gross tons, 489 net. Lbd: 190' x 30'1" x 12'5". Steel steamship built by Scott of Kinghorn Ltd, Kinghorn for the Western District Steam Ship Co Ltd., Melbourne. This concern may have been a subsidiary of Howard Smith Ltd, at least held some connection. Powered by a triple expansion engine producing 97 horsepower and of 2 single ended boilers, coal fired. Employed on the Western districts of Victora - Melbourne in passenger-cargo capacity. World War 1 disrupted trade and she spent much time 'laid up'. 1920 owned by Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). 1928 again laid up, 1934 sold to Young & Co., Sydney who probably acted as agents for Asian interests when she was renamed Mow Li No. 2 in 1934-5. Under this name she sunk at Tinghai on the 12th July 1935
Upper left image courtesy of State Library Victoria
Upper right art image titled 'Off Cape Otway' by A V Gregory, Melbourne now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details



EXPRESS (1)

1853-69


199 gross tons, 136 net. (tonnage records vary) Built likely in England / Scotland. Steam-sail vessel brought out under sail arriving Melbourne 7th July 1854 under command and part ownership of Captain Howard Smith. The ship's engineer, S B Skinner owned the other half share. This is where it all began for William Howard Smith as he commenced passenger services between Melbourne and Geelong, some records stating this was also the 'first regular' passenger service in Australia. 1855 based at Geelong, T J Parker (Later becoming Huddart-Parker & Co). acted as ship's agent, advertising under the banner 'Express Steamer Agency. 1861-62 saw W H Smith's share sold to Thomas J Parker. S B Skinner's share, upon his death, was sold to John Traill and Captain Webb. The Port Phillip bay trade continued for this vessel until sold to New Zealand interests 1869. From there records end, sadly as the 'Express' clearly has notable historical significance to the formation of localised shipping in Victorian waters
image (Artist unknown) now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details


EXPRESS (2)

1974-93


15,939 gross tons, 25,384 dwt. Lb: 173 x 25 metres. Oil tanker built by New South Wales Govt Engineering & Shipbuilding, Newcastle for Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. Sold 1987 sold to Amberpoint Co Ltd., Hong Kong renamed Product Star. Sustained major engine damage off Singapore became total loss. Demolished at Sitalpur September 1993
image as Product Star courtesy Matterson Marine


EXPRESS (3)
1990


1990-


14,145 gross tons, 17309 dwt. Lb: 150 x 24 metres. Service speed 13 knots. Bulk Carrier Built by Tsuneishi Zosen K K, Numakuma for Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. Sold 1996 sold to Trimnes Shipping Co, Panama renamed Trimnes. Possibly still in service
image courtesy of Mattmar Marine



FIADO

1878-98


985 gross tons. Iron hulled cargo vessel built by R Thompson, Southwick for Alpha SS Co Ltd., Sunderland. 1885 purchased by Howard Smith and employed along the east coast. 1893 sold to A Jouve & Co., Noumea. Went missing - last reported 300nm South of Noumea 21 February 1898, when bound for Noumea
image at Gladstone courtesy State Library Queensland


FRANKLIN

1985-


1,178 gross tons, 1218 net. Lb: 55.6 x 12 metres. Built by NQEA (North Queensland Engineering ??) as a research vessel, for the Australian Government's scientific and research department - CSIRO. SIngle screw, Diesel engine. Supposedly managed by Howard Smith Industries
image online source


GABO

1883-1925


2,060 gross tons, 1,246 net. Lbd: 279'7" x 38'4" x 20' Steel steamship built by J Key & Sons, Kinghorn, Scotland. Passenger cargo vessel fitted with compounded engine = 300hp and rated at 11 knots. Serviced Melbourne - Queensland trade. Survived the great flood of Brisbane 1883 when she broke adrift and floated along the Brisbane River at house and building rooftop level. Latter years saw her work most coastal runs for W H Smith & Sons Ltd including name change in 1913 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. December 1917 sold to W J Lumb Liu (China-Australia Mail S S Co) and registered at Hong Kong at the later date of November 1920. May 1921 owned by The Patrick Steamship Co Ltd, registered Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. Later came under ownership of the newly named Company, after liquidation and reformation, namely Patrick Steamship Co Ltd. Hulked 1925. Scuttled 18 miles off Sydney Heads, November 30, 1933
Upper left image (160059p) during Brisbane floods 1893 courtesy State Library Queensland
Upper right art image now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details



GAMBIER

1874-91


1,577 gross tons, 1,030 net. Lbd: 280'1" x 31'9" x 23'9". 2 masted schooner rigged iron steamship, compounded engine making 155 horsepower. Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under the name of Oceanby J & R Swan at Woodyard, Dumbarton, for Mories Monroe & Co Glasgow. Owned since by P Denny (pre 1874). 1874 Australasian S N Co., who intended her for potential Australia - China trade. Undetailed misfortune struck on her return from Hong Kong and she was towed to Cooktown Queensland. Court proceedings re: salvage caused Australasian S N Co to transfer ownership to a Mr Buckland, who was also involved in the 'Far-East" venture. September 1883 sold to J & A Brown of Newcastle and employed as a collier only. October 1884 acquired by William Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., who set about refitting her for increased passenger accomodation and general upgrading. February 1885 she was renamed Gambier and worked the Melbourne - Sydney - Newcastle (New South Wales) route. Sank after a collision with the steamer Easby off Pope's Eye Shoal, Port Phillip Heads Victoria on the night of August 7th 1891. A loss of 21 lives
image now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details


GEELONG

1856-88


432 gross tons. ex- Thomas Powell, 1882 purchased from G. K. Stothert & Co., Bristol renamed Geelong by Howard Smith Ltd, Serviced the Geelong - Melbourne passenger trade in 1883 and from 12th January until 25th September 1884 in relieving the steamship 'Edina' when she underwent refitting and further repairs. 1885 placed upon the Sydney - Queensland ports service. 17th February 1888 wrecked in cyclone on Carlyle Island, Queensland. Note: Not the steamer same name same era of the Australasian S N Co
image now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details


GEORGE RENNIE

1855-96


151 gross tons. Paddle steamer. Where built or how employed is unknown. 1896 purchased from the Victorian Government and converted to lighter, 1902 sold to Mr. Garner, Townsville and beached on Magnetic Island as jetty protection. Her remains are still visible
Image wanted



GERRINGONG

1965-85


14,504 gross tons, 7,132 net, 21,260 deadweight. Lbd: 177.43 x 22.61 metres. 7 cylinder 2 SA Sulzer turbo-charged oil engine made by C'wealth Govt Engine Works Port Melbourne. Ore carrier, nine holds, built at Whyalla Shipbuilding & Engineering Works, Whyalla South Australia for Bulkships Ltd (Associated Steamships Pty Limited as managers) Melbourne. Sistership ANL's Musgrave Range. Completed June 1965 registered at Melbourne. Intended for and placed upon the coastal carriage of ore on BHP's trades. 1970 twice voyaged from Kwinana to Japan with a cargo of pig iron. 1976 transferred to Bulkships Containers Pty Ltd. 20 December 1976 bareboat chartered to BHP for three years. 5 August 1977 renamed Iron Gerringong. 26 May 1978 returned to owners and laid up at Sydney. 12 January 1979 sold to Alcoa Australia's subsidiary Company, AFP Ltd with Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd appointed as managers. Renamed Gerringong. Serviced continually between Kwinana Western Australia and Point Henry Geelong Victoria carrying alumina until replaced by the newer vessel, Lindesay Clarke. 22 july 1985 laid up at Geelong, August 1985 sold to Rahim Maritime Ltd, Gibraltar renamed Rahim. Orient Steam Management of Hong Kong appointed Managers. September 1985 sold to Chinese shipbreakers, arriving 1 October 1985 at Ningpo for demolition
Upper left low resolution image
Upper right image at Sydney now available as a modern 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click image for details



GOVERNOR BLACKALL

1871-1910


487 gross tons. Lbd: 194'4" x 23'8" x 15'6". Iron steamship, 2 masts schooner rigged built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney. Originally ordered by the Queensland Government, however contract cancelled and purchased in 1872 by ASN Co. 1887 of AUSN Co. Sold June 1888 to North Illawarra Coal Mining Co. September 1890 owned by Moore & Austin. December 1896 George Adams (Tattersalls fame. Rumoured to be a Gambling ship when taken outside of territorial waters). December 1898 W J Featherstone. Hulked Sydney December 1910 and scuttled 16th July 1931 off Sydney Heads
Art image low resolution 1872 (Artist unknown) now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details however recommend 6 x4 inch only



HOWARD SMITH (1)

Tug 1952-73


496 gross tons. Lb: 41.8 x 9.8 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine 11.5 knots. Tugboat. Built by Hall & Russell Ltd., Aberdeen for Australian Steamships Pty Ltd, Melbourne. 1969 renamed Melbourne. 9th August 1972 capsized and sank after collision with the passenger ship Nieuw Holland in Port Phillip Bay. 1973 raised, slowly stripped 1975 and finally scuttled January 1979 (one record says Moreton Bay as final resting place). Note: Although a tugboat, she is added here on name basis and respect to the families' of the crew who served upon her
image courtesy State Library Victoria


HOWARD SMITH (2)

1964-88


35,082 gross tons. 58,280 dwt. Lb: 235.6 x 32.3 metres. Ore / oil carrier, built by Kieler Howaldt, Kiel as the Hoegh Helm for Leif Hoegh & Co, Oslo. 1969 purchased by Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd, renamed Howard Smith, 1979 sold to Avra Cia. Nav., Panama renamed Breeze. 1984 Akti under Cayman Islands flag. 1987 Sabre under Greek flag. Broken up at Kaohsiung April 1988
wanted


HOWARD SMITH (3)

1981


26847 gross tons. 43300 dwt. Lbd 176.7 x 33.06 metres. Bulk carrier. Built at Kasado Dock Co Ltd., Kudamatsu for Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. 1992 sold to India Cements Ltd, Madras renamed Icl Jayama Kondan. 2000 renamed Med Carrara for Navalmar (UK) Ltd. Cayman Islands flag. Still in service
image courtesy Jim Savage



ICEBERG

1882-


294 gross tons.1886 purchased from Queensland Freezing & Export Co., Brisbane, 1939 sold to H & R Peters, Brisbane. Absolutely no information where built etc, service (obviously Queensland coast) or fate. One can only presume the name meant refrigeration of as likely meat products bound for the major cities of Brisbane and probably Sydney
image courtesy State Library Queensland


INNISFAIL

1912-1960


2399 gross tons. Lb: 144'4" x 32'2'. Steel twin screw steamship built by Mackie & Thomson Ltd., Govan, Glasgow as the Blaxland for Allen Taylor & Co Ltd, Sydney. Two compounded engines set aft. Service speed 9 knots. Cargo vessel. Worked Camden Haven. Sold 1915 to William Holyman & Sons. Sold 1916 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith) and vessel's name changed to Innisfail. She then worked out of Townsville Queensland. Requisitioned during World War 2 and returned to owners in 1946. Sold 1948 to Chinese interests. Deleted from Lloyd's Register 1960
image (303421) courtesy Australian War Memorial


ISLAND SEAWAY

1987


3,536 gross tons, 1,680 net. Twin screw, diesel engine. Roll on/roll off ferry, passengers and vehicles. Built by the "Igloo Engineering Company" aka Eglo at Osborne Port Adelaide. In replacing the ferry "Troubridge" Monday 1st June 1987, this vessel operated in joint partnership of R W Miller & Co., and the South Australian Government Roads Department to run from Adelaide and Kangaroo Island. Island Seaway was severely criticised as being unsuitable for the Backstairs Passage crossing. Seventy-five sheep and cattle died on the inaugural trip due to carbon monoxide poisoning, and the ship was once described as 'steering like a shopping trolley'. The vessel subsequently underwent a AU$1 million refit of its propulsion system in September 1989 which improved its reliability.1987-8 Howard Smith Ltd purchased R W Miller & Co's holdings. 1995 sold to Maltese - Maresi Shipping Ltd. Operates an all year round scheduled service between the ports of Valletta (Malta), Catania (Sicily) and Reggio Calabria (Italy) providing passenger transportation, accompanied cars and any wheeled cargo. Still trading out of Valetta July 1999 under original name. No further details known
postcard of the era



JULIA PERCY

1876-1910


496 gross tons, 282 net. Lbd: 197' x 24'2" x 13'. Iron steamship built by T Wingate & Co., Glasgow as the Julia Percy for the partnership of C V Robinson, J Lilly and J Marshall, Melbourne. January 1877 of the Warrnambool Steam Navigation Co., Warrnambool which later reformed as the Western S N Co., Melbourne Victoria. Worked the western Victorian seaports as a passenger - cargo vessel until the railway opened up in stiff competition and she was sold to Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne in October 1886. Reputedly lengthened in 1877 to be of 580 gross tons, 335 net and Lbd: 219' x 24'2" x 13'. She worked the Queensland service until sold in June 1903 to G T Bell who placed her on the Western Australian service on that state's official mail run as contracted to that owner. May 25th 1905 she struck the jetty piles and sunk at Dongarra, Western Australia. Raised and sent to Fremantle for repairs she was soon after sold in 1906 to the Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., Melbourne who then renamed her Leeuwin. They gained the Western Australian Government's passenger & mail contract to the port of Eucla and placed her on that service for the duration. Later placed upon the Eden (New South Wales) - Melbourne - Tasmanian ports run only to be found economically unviable, and she was hulked in 1910. Demolished 1934
Upper left image courtesy State Library of Western Australia
centre image courtesy State Library Queensland
Upper right art image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details



KEILAWARRA

1878-86


784 gross tons, 486 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 29' x 19"2". Compounded inverted engine 140hp. Engine by builder. Iron steamship, passenger-cargo built by J Keys & Sons, Kinghorn for W H Smith & Partners, Melbourne as the 'first' Melbourne Steam Ship Company. Serviced Melbourne - Newcastle New South Wales run.1883 under full ownership of W Howard Smith & Sons Pty Ltd., registered Sydney. Ran the service from Sydney - Brisbane. Involved in two collisions on Brisbane River - May 1883 vs a steam launch and, December 18, 1883 when struck by the steamer 'Victoria' at her stern starboard side and cut down to the waterline. The enquiry to this collision extended until 1889 when Victoria's Captain found at fault. 8th December 1886 sunk in collision with ss Helen Nicoll in Trial Bay, off North Solitary Island, New South Wales. A loss of 28 souls as passengers and crew plus the Captain himself perished. Another four persons who leapt aboard the Helen Nicoll also perished. First Mate of the Helen Nicoll censured for not slowing down or stopping when the Keilawarra disappeared into the smoke (the main culprit here) billowing out from the Helen Nicoll. The late Captain of the Keilawarra found at fault for steaming full ahead into the smoke
art image by W J Forster, Sydney now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details



KINTORE
1903-44


1903-44


231 gross tons. Cargo ship built by T Dobson at Hessle Yorkshire for Dalgety & Co, London. Was the last trading vessel out of Robe South Australia June 1917. As Dalgety were predominantly pastoralists and Shipping agents, this vessel in their ownership is slightly out of context. One can presume Kintore carried wool and related cargo out of Robe until Portland, Victoria became the preferred port of call with the shipping industry at the time.1919 purchased by Howard Smith & Sons. How employed is unknown. 1942 sold to Government of Australia. Chartered to US Goverment, 17th September 1944 as S 154 under the 'Small Ships Command'. Wrecked in Torres Strait, again no real details known
Upper left image (303494) courtesy Australian War Memorial
Upper right art image by Oswald Brett now available for purchase here in 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details


KONOOWARRA

1880-1915


1273 gross tons, 809 net. Lbd: 246'2" x 33'5" x 16'4". Steel single screw passenger-cargo vessel built completed July 1880 by Russell & Co, Greenock for Carson & McIlwraith, Melbourne. Compounded engine, 2 cylinders 130 hp by Kincaid, Donald & Co, Greenock. Likely sold soon after her arrival Australian shores to W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd, Melbourne. Placed upon various intercolonial (Australian) runs where passengers were carried although she predominantly serviced as a cargo vessel. 1915 hulked at Townsville. Final phases unknown
Upper left images as photographed by A C Green and centre left image Art version again by A C Green both available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards and larger size prints. Click images for details
Upper right art image by G Edwards as a Dufty postcard of the 1900-10 era also available for purchase here as a modern production


KOTUKU

1975-2010

*Managed*

16,221 gross tons. 25503 dwt. Lb: 171.5 x 25.1 metres. Oil tanker built by Eriksbergs, Gothenburg for Wellington Tankers Ltd, Wellington New Zealand. Single screw. Diesel. Service speed 16 knots. Was managed by Union Steamship Co. (NZ). 1994 managed by Howard Smith Industries for for Ship Finance Ltd, Wellington, 1998 sold sold to Cie. Generale Maritime, Paris renamed Cercina. 1999 of CMA CGM (The French Line plus others). 2003 renamed Bora for Silvermar Nav Inc, Honduras. 2003 renamed Bora 1 of Panamanian registry. 2009 owned by Marika Investments Ltd, Zanvibar. September 2010 scrapped at Gadani Beach
Right side image at Wellington, New Zealand. Left side image courtesy Mattmar Marine



KOWARRA

1916-43


2,125 gross tons. Lb: 82.3 x 5.2 metres. Steel hulled single screw cargo vessel built by Priestman at Southwick. Sunderland for Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith), Melbourne. Triple expansion engine making 10 knots. 1916 - 1919 requisitioned by British Admiralty as a collier. 24th April 1943 when southbound with 1460 tons of sugar from Bowen, torpedoed and sunk by Japanese submarine ('I.26') 35 miles north-east off Sandy Cape, Fraser Island, Queensland. 21 lives lost, 11 survivors
image as photographed by A C Green at Melbourne now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


KUAKA

1975-2002

*Managed*

16,221 gross tons, 25503 net. Lb: 171.5 x 25.1 metres. Oil tanker, built by Eriksbergs M/V A/B, Goteborg for Auckland Tankers Ltd (Papachristidis Group of Companies) Single screw. Diesel engine. Service speed 16 knots. 1994 managed for Ship Finance Ltd, Wellington 1996. Sold to Sea Pearl Shipping, Panama renamed Sea Topaz. 1997 renamed Trust A. Scrapped at Alang commencing 11 May 2002
Upper left image online source
Upper right image now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


LADY ISOBEL

1921-62


1,408 gross tons. Cargo ship built as the Kampen by Jonker Bros at Kinderdijk for Olsen Bros Norway. Iron steamship, triple expansion engine making 8.5 knots. 1921 owned by Nobel's Explosives and renamed Glenora. 1921 renamed Lady Isobel by Nobel Industries. 1921 renamed Millewa by Nobel Industries. (3 name changes in one year) 1926 purchased by Howard Smith & Sons Ltd from Nobel Industries, Melbourne, under the name Lady Isobel. 1955 sold to John Manners & Co., Hong Kong renamed Manly Breeze. Again 1955 under J Manners renamed San Carlos. 1858 renamed Lian Hin by Lanena Shipping. Broken up at Hong Kong late 1962
slv better image pending


LASS O'GOWRIE

1878-1975


220 gross tons. Lbd" 136.8 x 20.2 x 8.7 metres. Built by J Keys at Kinghorn, Fife Scotland. 1896 purchased by Howard Smith Ltd from D Sheehy, Sydney. Stranded at Townsville three occassions 16/9/1921, 7/10/1924 and 10/3/1925. Recorded as loading blue metal out of Bombo New South Wales for Sydney. 1934 sold to J Sanderson at Maryborough, Queensland. Some unknown date since was converted into an iron lighter. Last owner Wilson, Hart & Co, Maryborough. Scuttled Roy Rufus Reef, Hervey Bay, Queensland. July 28, 1975
slv better image pending



LEURA

1878-1921


1,186 gross tons. Iron cargo steamship built by Potter at London for W H Smith & Sons, Melbourne (Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd). Of W H Smith & Sons, Melbourne from 1883. Serviced Portland Victoria and Tasmania. 1920 sold to Electrolytic Zinc Co, Melbourne. Stripped at Melbourne from August 1921 & scuttled Storm Bay, Tasmania 30th June 1934
>
Upper left image courtesy of State Library Victoria
Upper right art image now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


LINDESAY CLARK

1985-2013

*Managed*

18692 gross tons. 29515 dwt. Lb: 183.72 x 23.12 metres. Bulk carrier, built by Hyundai Heavy Industries OC. Ltd., Ulsan for Alcoa of Australia Ltd. Service speed 13 knots. Managed by Howard Smith Industries. 1996 management transferred to Intercontinental Ship Management, Sydney. Quite possibly under management of ASP since 2007. Vessel designed for the carriage of Alumina from Alcoa's refineries in Western Australia to their smelting plants at Geelong Victoria and other east coast ports of call. October 2013 scrapped in China
image courtesy Mattmar Marine


LOMAVITA

1968-


49.9 metres length, 500 gross tons. Built as the Roger Rougier, a landing craft for Timber Carrier Corp, Monrovia. 1978 owned by Tas Marine Service Pty Ltd, Burnie Tasmania. 1985 owned by the Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd, with ship renamed Melville Bay and registered at Darwin. 1989 Lengthened to 52.7m, 630 gross tons. 1991 purchased by Howard Smith Indusries and renamed Lomavita with registry at Suva Fiji. 1994 converted into a bulk aggregates carrier. 1995 sold to Coastal Resources Ltd, Auckland renamed Coastal Carrier. 2005 converted into a dredger. 2006 owned by McCallum Bros Ltd, Auckland New Zealand. Still in service

any image wanted


MACEDON (1)

1870-83


826 gross tons, 532 net. Lbd: 220'6" x 29'8' x 15'8". Iron steamship, built as a passenger vessel by W H Potter & Co, Liverpool, England. Barque-rigged vessel with one deck was powered by 96-hp 2 cylinder inverted engines. Built for W H Smith & Partners as the Melbourne Steamship Co. 1881 chartered out, with the option to purchase, to Anderson & Marshall & Lilly, Melbourne. Worked the coast of Western Australia on that State Government's mail run until 21 March 1883 when she drifted onto Transit reef off Rottnest Island. Remaining there overnight and, the next morning, with engines full astern she coursed backward onto Phillip Rock, sustaining damaged stern and holing the hull. To save live and cargo, she was thrust forward onto transit reef, becoming a total loss. All lives saved
Art (sketch) image by G McCrae and is the only view of this ship as known. Such is now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


MACEDON (2)

1916-57


4,368 gross tons. Lb: 112 x 15.7 metres. Cargo vessel steel hull single screw built by Hamilton at Glen Yard for Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith), Melbourne. Propulsion - triple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1926 ran the service from Melbourne to Cairns via Brisbane. Laid up late 1929-1930. Early 1940 and for a few voyages only, saw charter to British Phosphate Commission in lifting phosphate from Nauru and Ocean Island. 1947 march-April commenced a scheduled 6 week service from Adelaide to Brisbane. Owing to a tight schedule where limited time in each port (one may presume there were ports of call in between) meant the ship wasn't laden fully. Later reverted to 'leave when laden' policy. 1955 sold to Barcelona Cia. Nav, Panama renamed Macedonia. Broken up in Belgium in 1957
image now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


MACEDON (3)

1957-


2,737 gross tons, 3749 dwt. Lb: 96 x 14 metres. Service speed 12 knots. Cargo vessel built by J L Meyer, Papenburg for Howard Smith Industries Pty. Ltd. 1986 sold to Tugire Pty Ltd, Port Kembla renamed Macedon I. Broken up at Kaohsiung commencing 1 July 1987
image now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


MAGGIE L WESTON

1889-1901


96 gross tons. 1892 purchased from Callen & Weston, Newcastle and converted to lighter, 16th March 1901 sank in Cleveland Bay, Queensland

wanted



MAID OF THE YARRA

1854-65


16 gross tons, 82 net. Lbd: 100'4" x 18'0" x 9'0". Iron steamship built by J Robson at Blackwall in County Durham England for unknown owners who employed her as a self powered 'lighter' of 20 horsepower, on Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne. Soon sold in February 1855 to W Brown Jnr, Launceston, Tasmania and fitted with passenger accomodation. Employed on the Melbourne - Launceston service as well as some localised work along the Tamar River. Sold September 1857 to W H Smith & Partners, Melbourne and worked a variety of routes including the Port Albert, Victoria trade. October 1859 sold to Fowler & Partners, Melbourne who kept her on the Port Albert trade as well as occasional runs to the Gippsland Lakes. Short service saw her sold December same year, 1859 to Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide where she was employed on the South Australian Gulfs' routes of Port Elliot and Wallaroo. Sold July 1862 to unknown owners in New Zealand and wrecked March 1865 at Hokitika, New Zealand
image wanted


MALACHITE

1894-1928


605 gross tons. Lb: 54.8 x 8.9 metres. Iron steamship, cargo only. Triple expansion engine. Builder - Scott Bowling, Glasgow. First owner - W Robertson, Glasgow. 1902 purchased by the Bellambi Coal Co., Sydney. 1915 purchased by Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). Always employed as a collier Newcastle to Sydney run. 1928 capsized at the Company wharf, Sydney, refloated and sold to H P Stacey, Sydney and there hulked July 1928
image at Melbourne in W H Smith livery now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details


MANAWATU

1873-1929


83 gross tons, 112 net. Lbd: 128'8" x 18'7" x 9'5". Iron paddlesteamer built by Henry Niccol, North Shore Auckland, New Zealand. Originally part of New Zealand based Black Diamond Line fleet taken over by Union S S Co of New Zealand in 1885. Rebuilt in 1882 as a composite hull screw steamship with compounded engine producing 38 horsepower. 1898 sank in a collison in Hobsons Bay Victoria, refloated and purchased from Union SS Co., 1899 by Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. October 1903 owned by E Mountjoy, Lorne Victoria. February 1904 owned by Coastal Steamships Co Ltd. September 1912 owned by Gippsland Steamers Pty Ltd. 1915 owned by J H Edwards of Hobart. September 1916 owned again by Gippsland Steamers Pty Ltd. 1918 owned by Charles P Preston. 1918 owned by F G Wilson. Built as a passenger cargo vessel although employed by Howard Smith as a lighter/tender in Queensland. Worked the Gippsland Lakes area for Gippsland Steamers Pty Ltd., Melbourne. Her fate is recorded with closure of register 1929 stating 'dismantled and abandoned off Williamstown Victoria'
Upper image courtesy of State Library Victoria
Upper right art image in Union SS Co livery - now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger size print. Click image for details


MARRAWAH

1910-51


600 gross tons. Lb: 179.2' x 29.1' x 11.2' (50.3 x 8.6 metres). Steel steamship, passenger-cargo as built by Van Vliet at Hardinxveld for Shipping Investments Ltd (C H Pile), London. Single screw, triple expansion engine, 87 nhp. 19?? purchased by Holyman & Sons, Launceston. Known definitely December 1920 as trading between Melbourne and Stanley on Tasmania's North-west coast, via King Island in Bass Strait. Sold to Howard Smith in 1936. Serviced Bundaberg - Brisbane transporting sugar. November 1941 requisitioned as a minesweeper in Bass Strait. February 1943 passed into U S Navy control (small ships command). Secretive service in the immediate North of Australia/Queensland tropical zones. Returned to owners at War's end and laid up. 1947 sold to Riverside Dock & Engineering Co, Sydney. Stripped at Sydney 1950 and made as an Australian military target off Sydney Heads 10th May 1951
Upper left image courtesy of State Library Victoria
Upper right images as painted by A V Gregory, Melbourne now available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcards and larger size prints. Click images for details


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2008-18 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved