FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

A to Z
quick link

Adelaide
Agnes
Albany
Aldinga (1)
Aldinga (2)
Allara
Allinga
Arakaba
Aroona
Baldina
Baroota
Barossa
Barrier
Barunga
Borda
Brinawarr
Broadway
Bullara
Bundaleer
Bungaree
Burra
Camira
Cantara
Carroo
Ceduna
Claude
Claud Hamilton
Cloncurry *chartered*
Colac
Craiglee
Croydon
Dilga
Dilkera
Dumaresq
Dundala
Echunga
Empire Gladstone *chartered*
Emu
Ferret
Flinders (1)
Flinders (2)
Franklin
Goondi
Grantala
Herbert
Industry *chartered*
Innamincka
Investigator
Junee
Kadina
Kapara
Karalta
Karaweera
Katoora
Kepler
Kolya
Konanda
Koorie
Korara
Koombana
Lammeroo
Lubra
Maltara
Manoora
Manunda
Marloo
Marra
Mary
Meringa
Merriwa
Milluna
Minkara
Minnipa
Mintaro
Momba
Moonta (1)
Moonta (2)
Morialta (1)
Morialta (2)
Mulcra
Mundalla
Mundoora
Muriel
Myrna
Nalpa
Nardoo
Nina
Noora
Oorama
Otway
Ouraka
Parratah
Paringa
Pelican
Penola/Perth
Quorna
River Burdekin *managed*
River Clarence *managed*
Rob Roy
Royal Shepherd
Rupara
South Australia
Swainby *chartered*
Tarcoola
Terka
Tolga
Toorie
Troubridge
Tully
Uco
Ulooloo
Urilla
Victorian
Wakefield
Wandana *chartered*
Wandila
Warilda
White Heather
Willochra
Willyama
Winfield
Willyama
Wortanna
Yankalilla
Yongala
Yuna







FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Ed Ed Ed

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF





ADELAIDE STEAMSHIP
Ed

COMPANY LIMITED

Formed in September 1875 in Adelaide, South Australia, by a group of pastoralists and businessmen some whom already had steamship interests in the Spencer Gulf, namely Federal Wharf Co. Ltd, Port Adelaide Dredging Company Ltd and Spencer Gulf Shipping Co. Ltd and incorporated on 8th October 1875
Its promoters included Andrew Tennant, Robert Barr-Smith and Thomas Elder of Elder Smith & Co Ltd. In July 1876 the company’s leading promoters amalgamated their private ship-owning interests to form the Spencer’s Gulf Steamship Co Ltd, trading in SA coastal waters. The two companies amalgamated in December 1882. Adelaide Steamship Co was liquidated and reconstructed twice for more efficient and profitable operation, first in 1900 and subsequently in 1920. On 20 January 1915 they took over Coast Steamships Limited, and kept it running as a subsidiary that retained its own identity until 1968. During the 1940s this concern experienced a decline in trade and began to acquire interests in other companies and projects. On 1 Jan 1964 its interstate fleet was merged with that of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd in a new company, Associated Steamships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship Co held 40%. Bulkships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship held a 40% interest in 1965, acquired all the shares in Associated Steamship Ltd in 1968. In 1977 the company’s interest in Bulkships was disposed of, and Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd ceased its connection with ship owning and operating


Ed
HOUSE FLAG


Ed
FUNNEL


Page
2 of 4
E to L

PAGE 1
A to D
PAGE 3
M to Q
PAGE 4
R to Z
HOME!




ECHUNGA

1907-1917

4,589 gross tons, 2,245 net. Lbd: 390' x 56' x 23'6". Triple expansion engine = 390 nhp. 3 masts with machinery located aft. Built by Sir Royton Dixon & Co Ltd., Middlesborough England for this concern. Was chartered 1915 to Northern Hemisphere (UK?) interests, until acquired early 1917 by the British Admiralty and converted into an oil carrier. Torpedoed in the English Channel, September 5th 1917 (Echunga- Aboriginal word for 'Near' or 'close by')
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



EMPIRE GLADSTONE

1944-50

*chartered only*

648 gross tons, 344 net. Lb: 129.2 x 17.2 metres. Steel, single screw steamship built by Shipbuilding Corp, Wear Southwick for the Ministry of War Transport (MOWT). Held a triple expansion engine 10.5 knots. Employed mostly in cargo-goods capacity as required. After the war, the ship remained under the ownership of the Ministry of Transport and in 1949 she was managed by Blane Steamships Ltd. She appears to have been re-engined at some time as the Lloyd's Register of 1949-50 indicates that the triple expansion steam engine was built by Markham and Co Ltd, Chesterfield. As indicated, the British Government still had ownership of the ship and the managers had rechartered the vessel to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd about August 1949. Prior to this, the ship was in Australia on 5 May 1949 at Fremantle. On Friday 1 September 1950, departed Whyalla for Sydney and Newcastle with cargo of iron ore for the BHP steelworks in Newcastle as well as 159 Dodge utes. 5th September 1950 at 7.55 pm her stern section hit the reef of Haystack Rock - eight kilometres south east of Merimbula. Stuck hard with the propellor jammed rudder bent, she was unloaded of vehicles by local trawlers over the course of 6 days until 11th September when storm followed and she sank at 36.56S/149.57E. Now a popular dive site
image personal collection



EMU

1876-1901

616 gross tons, 362 net. Lbd: 179'4" x 25'1" x 11'7". Compounded engine = 96 hp. Built Blackwood 7 Gordon Port Glasgow for R W Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. September 1887 Euro S S Co Ltd., of which was formed at least in part by R W Osborne. December 1881 of the Spencer Gulf S S Co Ltd. December 1882 of the Adelaide Steamship Co as result of merger. Circa 1898 chartered by Circular Saw Line. Sold September 1901 with Australian registry closed. New owners seem to be S A Union of Noumea. Lloyds of London had her classed as a 'pontoon' until 1924. Another independant source claimed she was abandoned as a hull in Baie de la Moselle, Noumea
image as a watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



FERRET

1871-1920

347 gross tons. 195 net (June 1885 455 gross & 276 net tons) Lbd: 170'9" x 23'2" x 12'7". Iron steamship built by J & G Thomson, Glasgow. Compounded vertical direct acting steam engine = 90hp. Owners: G & J Burns, Glasgow. 1873 Dingwall & Skye Railway Co Ltd., then Highland Railway Co., Inverness in a merger 1878. She was chartered for a pleasure cruise to the Mediterranean however telltale ship fittings were thrown overboard off Gibraltar to give indication that the ship had foundered. Instead she was renamed 'Bantam' given a different appearance and was taken to Brazil. There, at Santos she loaded a cargo of coffee bound for France however, en-route she was again renamed, this time 'India' and then steamed to Cape Town where her valuable cargo of coffee was sold. She arrived in Melbourne from Albany April 1881, claiming to be a private yacht. Meanwhile the worried legal owners, Highland Railway Co., had placed advertisements globally for this vessel as 'Lost, Stolen or Strayed. At Melbourne an observant wharf policeman noticed the faint name of another vessel under the lettering ‘India’. She was proved to be the Ferret; her operators (Captain & cohorts, Smith, Walker & Wright) were arrested and given 7 years inprisonment. Since, legal matters of complicated ownership details took time to sort out until sold 1881 to William Whinham, Adelaide. Registered the ship as the Ferret in November 1883 at Port Adelaide and in 1883 transferred (taken over) by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Wrecked - Reef Head, Yorke Peninsular South Australia November 14th 1920
Remarks: 10/1880 fraudulently chartered by Messrs Smith & Walker and a Capt Wright and sailed Greenock for Marseilles; disappearance near Gibraltar was faked and insurers paid to owners (Highland Railway Co); name changed to BANTAM with forged documents and bunkered at St Vincent with fake bills of credit; loaded coffee cargo at Santos and renamed INDIA after sailing; cargo fraudulently sold at Cape Town. After arrival at Melbourne in 1881, sale was attempted but, suspicions aroused and both the vessel and those involved arrested 4/1881. Wrecked at Reef Head close to Cape Spencer, South Australia (some sources 13/11/1920)
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



FLINDERS (1)

1874-1928

489 gross tons, 278 net. Lbd: 195'7" x 25' x 12'1". Iron steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger/cargo vessel for Thomas Elder & Partners., Port Adelaide. Held compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. December 1876 of the Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd working the Spencer Gulf. Acquired 1886 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd and made the occassional 'intercolonial' voyages. Sold November 1900 to W Collins & Sons Ltd., Brisbane and employed on the Brisbane - Maryborough - Bundaberg run. At times was chartered to the Australasian United S N Co., Sydney. Laid up during 1925 and register finally closed 1928 upon advice the vessel had been demolished
image at Queensland



FLINDERS (2)

1878-1911

948 gross tons, 499 net. Lbd: 227'1" x 28'3" x 20'1". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow for Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart. Held a compounded engine producing 200 horsepower. As a passenger vessel, was designed for the various routes undertaken by the company. May 1891 taken over by Union SS Co of New Zealand, February 1894 sold to McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd., Melbourne after being chartered from 1893, being placed upon the Western Australian 'Goldfields' run. Visited Albany mostly with passengers only, and returning at times via the western coastal ports of Victoria, which she ultimately traded out of once the goldrush traffic phased itself out. November 1896 owned by J McIlwraith Snr. July 1907 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co and placed upon their South Australian coastal trades. 1911 caught fire resulting in irrepairable damage and hulked. Sold 1927 and totally stripped, finally abandoned on the North Arm, Port Adelaide
image as a watercolour and in Union SS Co's livery now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



FRANKLIN

1880-1902

730 gross tons, 395 net. Lbd: 200' x 26'3" x 11'7". Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson at Patrick, Glasgow. Compounded engine = 280 horsepower by builder. First owner - Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. Capable of carrying 60 passengers, she serviced the outports of South Australia until December 1882 when taken over by Adelaide Steamship Co, and serviced many of their coastal routes. Wrecked April 18 1902 at Point Malcolm, Israelite Bay, Western Australia when operating as a mail steamer between Albany and Esperance
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



GOONDI

1923-1956

339 tons. Lbd: 150' x 29' x 7'. Built 1894 by J Scott & Co Kinghorn and refitted 1923 by Poole & Steele, Sydney. Original name Gartmore original owners unknown. From refit in 1923 owners registered as J Broadford & Sons Ltd, Townsville Queensland. July 1926 purchased via liquidators of J Broadford & Sons (along with the steamer 'Tully') by this company and renamed Goondi. Sold 1956 renamed Goori and converted into a lighter reg., Maryborough Qld (Goondi- Aboriginal word for 'Bark shelter')
image wanted



GRANTALA

1904-34

3,655 gross tons, 1.787 net. Lbd: 350' x 45'2" x 27'2". Steel passenger steamship built by Armstrong Whitworth & Co. at Newcastle on Tyne. Of triple expansion engine = 690nhp. Coal fired boilers = 180psi. Service speed of 15 knots and capable of 225 passenger accomodation as designed for the interstate trade. Sistership Yongala. Served as a hospital ship 1914. WW1, supported the Expeditionary Force landing in Rabaul. Sold/transferred November 1915 to Red Funnel Shipping Co Ltd. Renamed Figuig and sold to Compagnie General Transatlantique (CGT) Bordeaux in 1920. Scrapped in Italy 1934 Grantala- Aboriginal word for 'Big')
left side image postcard of the era, b & w image courtesy State Library South Australia



HERBERT

1884-1933

233 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'3". Iron steamship built by McIntyre & Co., Hebburn on Tyne for William Villiers Brown, a Townsville merchant who was also part of the business known as Aplin, Brown & Co. This vessel, registered in Brisbane was capable of carrying 27 passengers, working the outports from Townsville. She held a compounded engine producing 60 horsepower. May 1888 sold to John Williams, Launceston and February 1889 of the United Steamship Co., Launceston. Her Tasmanian career was spent servicing the north-west coast of that island state. Sold in March 1896 to the Adelaide steamship Co., Port Adelaide who placed her back on the Queensland small ports and rivers service, where she begun. April 1897 saw her steam from Cairns to New Guinea for the 'goldrush' there, but the journey was not repeated. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross, 152 net. Lbd: 140'1" x25' x7'3". By 1907 she was working the South Australian gulfs' trades, taking in the ports of Turton, Minlacowie, Broughton, Victoria and Wallaroo. Since she was demoted to being a 'coal lighter' until July 1913 when she was refitted and placed again in the Spencer Gulf trade. Finally sold for scrapping purposes in 1932 and scuttled off Cape Cleveland, Queensland during January 1933
image personal collection



INDUSTRY

1887-1905

1,830 gross tons. Lbd: 259'5" x 35'6" x 18'6". Cargo steamship built by Strand Slipway Co., Sunderland for W H Cockerline & Co., Hull. From July 1893 until March 1898 she was registered in Sydney and chartered for some of this time by Adelaide Steamship Co for the Melbourne-Adelaide-West Australia run. 1899 renamed Tropic for original owners. 1901 sold to Swedish interests and renamed Tritin. 24 November 1905 wrecked at Husum when bound from Gefle to London with a cargo of timber & iron
image as a watercolour painting now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



INNAMINCKA

1890-1941

2,501 gross tons, 1.355 net. Lbd: 305' x 40' x 19'8". Steel steamship built by Napier, Shanks & Bell, Yoker near Glasgow for this company. Tripled expansion reciprocating engine = 477nhp. Designed for the Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney run as a 370 capacity passenger vessel. Accomodation later reduced. Placed upon most of the Company's services. Sold March 1916 to D MacDonald, Hong Kong and became a collier. March 1917 Innamincka Steam Ship Co Ltd (mng D MacDonald), Hong Kong. 1920 Hadjee Mohamed Nemazee, Hong Kong and renamed Seistan in 1921. 1923 Oriental Nav Co Ltd, Hong Kong, re-engined 1923 (new tonnage as 2455 gross 1571 net). 1927 Mohamed Khalul Nemazee, Madras. 1933 Wing Hong Co (mng Williamson & Co), Hong Kong. 1937 Douglas Steamship Co (Williamson & Co), Hong Kong. 1940 Hong Kong Shipping Board (mng Douglas SS Co), Hong Kong and escaped Hong Kong ahead of Japanese occupation of December 1941. Bombed and sunk Manilla harbour 28th December 1941 Innamincka- Aboriginal word for 'You go into hole')
left side image off Queensland coast. Right side image as a watercolour painting now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



INVESTIGATOR

1882-1918

583 gross tons, 345 net. Lbd: 210'3" x 28'3" x 12'5". Compounded engine = 80hp, boiler - 80psi. Passenger Cargo Vessel built by D & W Henderson Ltd Glasgow for Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. Could carry 32 passengers in servicing the 'gulf' region. February 1883 (officially) of the Adelaide Steamship Co., and serviced a greater range of ports outside of Spencer's Gulf, including a run (the Company's first) to Western Australia. 1903 passenger accomodation removed. Wrecked 24th April 1918 at Wardang Island South Australia (Source: unashamedly from R Parsons book "Australian Coastal Passenger Ships') see links for availability
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



JUNEE

1907-45

2,218 gross tons. Lbd: 301' x 42'2" x 18'6". Built for the company by Mackie & Thomson,Glasgow. Cargo vessel only capable of 10 knots and carried sheep and cattle. 1932 sold to Norway interests (Wallem & Co) renamed Goviken. 1933 sold to Chinese interests renamed Sheng Lee. Scuttled ahead of Japanese invasion of Hong Kong in December 1941. Salvaged by the Japanese and renamed Shori Maru. Sunk by USS Segundo (a submarine) in the Korea Strait 11th March 1943 (Junee- Aboriginal word for 'Speak to me')
image courtesy State Library Victoria



KADINA

1897-1929

2,710 tons. Lbd: 325'5" x 45'1" x 21". Built by Dobson & Co., Walker on Tyne as the Victorian Era. Later registered for Adelaide Steamship Co 1897 and named Kadina. Sold Oct., 1924 to Hinode K K Dairen renamed Taikei Maru. Stranded December 1929, refloated but not repaired and sold for demolition (Kadina- Aboriginal word for 'Lizard plain')
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



KAPARA

1914-1942

842 gross tons. Lbd: 195' x 32'1" x 12'6". Built by J Crown & Sons, Sunderland for the Adelaide Steam Tug Co Ltd. 1927 acquired by this company as a cargo vessel (flux & other cargoes- out of Port Pirie). Rated at 9 knots. Whilst under charter to Coast Steamships Limited, ran on to a reef off the south eastern corner of Flinders Island, South Australia, and badly holed, 13th November 1942. Abandoned, remains sold
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



KARALTA

1947-1986

389 gross tons. Lbd: 158'7" x 26'11" x 9'6". Built C R D Adriatico Monfalcone as Tusna for Swedish owners. 8.5 knots. Acquired 1954 renamed Karalta. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. Sold 1961-2 to British East Asia Marine Ltd, Hong Kong. 1966 renamed Autoly for Hermes Asia Shipping & Trading Agency, Panama. later 1966 reverted to British East Asia Marine Ltd, Port Moresby and renamed Karalta. 1975 renamed Asia Lloyd for unknown owners. 1986 deleted from register. (Karalta- Aboriginal word for 'Green')
image 1947 passing through Birkenhead Bridge Port Adelaide now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



KARAWEERA

1882-1902

1,477 gross tons, 929 net. Lbd: 250' x 35'1" x 17'6". Iron steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth. Of compounded inverted engine = 170hp. 9.75 knots. Owned by R Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide. Designed as a coal carrier however sported 157 passenger capability. Serviced the Newcastle - South Australia run. June 1884 South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners'. From this time passengers were probably not taken. September 1886 J L (Henry) Simpson & Sons (Black Diamond Line). June 1895 A L Harrold & partners. December 1896 Adelaide Steamship Co. Broke her back when stranded on Central Island in the Fitzroy River, at Rockhampton, Queensland, 2nd July 1902. (Karaweera - aboriginal word for 'Forest of red gum trees')
image as a sketch now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



KATOORA

1927-1987

327 tons. Lbd: 135'3" x 26'2" x 8'7". Built G A Brown & Co Greenock, Glasgow. Cargo vessel of 8 knots and worked as a sugar carrier North Queensland coast. November 1942 under the United States Small Ships Command during WW2. Sold 1962 Keith Hollands Shipping Pty, Cairns. 1969 Mornington Island fisheries Pty Ltd Townsville, who converted her into a trawler 1968-9. and listed as 'condemned' in Lloyds Register - 1987
right side image in a very neglected vandalised state, courtesy Glenn of www.ferryman.net.au with thanks



KEPLER

1886-1910

64 gross tons. Lbd: 91' x 18'3" x 5'8". Wooden steamship built by M Erling, Footscray Victoria for J J White of Melbourne. 1890 D Munro & Co Ltd. 1895 E Walsh, T May & W Cowper. Nov 1896 E F Millar, Fremantle. 1909 Adelaide Steamship Co. As steam launch-cargo vessel, sank at her moorings in Hopetoun Harbour West Australia August 8th 1910
image wanted



KOLYA

1888-1924

1,801 tons. Lbd: 271'2" x 37'1" x 16'. Built as Kirkland by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast for Kirklands Steamship Co of Glasgow. Chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co October 1895 and purchased outright June 1897. Cargo vessel making 9 knots and fitted to carry 483 cattle and 1,140 sheep. Sold March 1912 to W J Snedden. May 1912 W Barnes & Co, Singapore. Later sold to USA interests, records reveal name change in 1920 as Roberto Figueras, Manila registry. Broken up 1924 (Kolya - aboriginal word for 'Winter' or 'Rain clouds')
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



KONANDA

1955-87

414 tons. Lbd: 153'3" x 29'11" x 11'2.5". Built Schps 'Vooruitgang' D & J Boot, Alphen for Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Cargo vessel making 8.5 knots. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. April 1960 transferred to Coast Steamships Ltd. Oct 1961 sold to Pearl Kaspar Shipping Co, New Zealand. 1966 sold to Athol R.Rusden, Suva. wrecked Port Vila 8th February 1987 and remains scuttled November 1987. (Konanda - aboriginal word for 'North' or 'Northwards')
image pending



KOORIE

1909-64+

25 tons. Lbd: 54'2" x 12'8" x 5'8". Built Waterview, Sydney as a wooden steamship (tender) for this concern. 1948 re-engined with diesel power. 1963 transferred to Associated Steamships in her capacity as a tender. 1964 sold to Maritime Maintenance Pty Ltd & renamed Mariman. Records end (Koorie - aboriginal word for 'Freshwater mussel')
any image unlikely



KORARA

1947-71

388 tons. Lbd: 48.3 x 8.2 metres. Steel motorship built by C R D Adrtiatico Monfalcone as the Egenes. 1951 renamed Erdstaal and purchased from Dutch owners in 1954. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. Name changes since (accuracy obscure) Quirina and of course here as the Korara. 1961 recorded as a sugar lighter and owned by John Burke Ltd of Brisbane. She was renamed Karoola early 1971. Mid 1971 she was taken to Sydney, stripped of valuable workings and as a hull, presented to the Royal Australian Navy who towed it out to sea and sunk it by gunfire (Korara - aboriginal word for 'Clouds')
image courtesy State Library of Queensland. Same image 'cleaned up' pending *watch this space*



KOOMBANA

1908-12

3,668 tons. Lbd: 340'1" x 48'2" x 20'8". Built A Stephens & Sons Linthouse, Glasgow. Passenger ship carrying 188 compliment. Capable of 13.5 knots and also fitted to transport 219 cattle and 1,500 sheep. Serviced the Fremantle - North west coastal ports of Western Australia. Went missing off the West Australian coast en route from Port Hedland to Broome March 1912. Loss of 138 persons aboard. Cyclonic conditions prevailed shortly after she departed Port Hedland (Koombana - aboriginal word for 'Deep')
left side image as a painting by John Cosh and, right side image dockside both available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards or larger prints. Click on images for details



LAMMEROO

1905-33

3,750 tons. Lbd: 360' x 48' x 26'3". Steel steamship built by W Beardmore & Co , Dalmuir for the Nelson Line as the Highland Laddie. Cargo vessel capable of 9.3 knots. Acquired 1907 and renamed. Fitted to carry 3,900 sheep.Sold to China interests renamed Shun Foo. Scrapped 1933
image personal collection



LUBRA

1860-98

246 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 22'2" x 10'5". Iron steamship built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow for H H Ward of Glasgow. Later A L Elder of London. Jan 1863 Thomas Elder, R B Smith & others of Port Adelaide. Feb 1877 Spencer's Gulf S S Co Ltd., and refitted to Lbd: 167'3" x 22'2" x 10'4" increased tonnage as 321 gross. December 1882 Adelaide Steamship Co. Wrecked Jurien Bay West Australia January 3rd 1898. (Lubra aboriginal word for 'Woman')
image as a watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details






TOP of PAGE HOME!

2007-18 © John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved