FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

A to Z
quick link

Adelaide
Agnes
Albany
Aldinga (1)
Aldinga (2)
Allara
Allinga
Arakaba
Aroona
Baldina
Baroota
Barossa
Barrier
Barunga
Borda
Brinawarr
Broadway
Bullara
Bundaleer
Bungaree
Burra
Camira
Cantara
Carroo
Ceduna
Claude
Claud Hamilton
Cloncurry *chartered*
Colac
Craiglee
Croydon
Dilga
Dilkera
Dumaresq
Dundala
Echunga
Empire Gladstone *chartered*
Emu
Ferret
Flinders (1)
Flinders (2)
Franklin
Goondi
Grantala
Herbert
Industry *chartered*
Innamincka
Investigator
Junee
Kadina
Kapara
Karalta
Karaweera
Katoora
Kepler
Kolya
Konanda
Koorie
Korara
Koombana
Lammeroo
Lubra
Maltara
Manoora
Manunda
Marloo
Marra
Mary
Meringa
Merriwa
Milluna
Minkara
Minnipa
Mintaro
Momba
Moonta (1)
Moonta (2)
Morialta (1)
Morialta (2)
Mulcra
Mundalla
Mundoora
Muriel
Myrna
Nalpa
Nardoo
Nina
Noora
Oorama
Otway
Ouraka
Parratah
Paringa
Pelican
Penola/Perth
Quorna
River Burdekin *managed*
River Clarence *managed*
Rob Roy
Royal Shepherd
Rupara
South Australia
Swainby *chartered*
Tarcoola
Terka
Tolga
Toorie
Troubridge
Tully
Uco
Ulooloo
Urilla
Victorian
Wakefield
Wandana *chartered*
Wandila
Warilda
White Heather
Willochra
Willyama
Winfield
Willyama
Wortanna
Yankalilla
Yongala
Yuna







FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Ed Ed Ed

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF





ADELAIDE STEAMSHIP
Ed

COMPANY LIMITED

Formed in September 1875 in Adelaide, South Australia, by a group of pastoralists and businessmen some whom already had steamship interests in the Spencer Gulf, namely Federal Wharf Co. Ltd, Port Adelaide Dredging Company Ltd and Spencer Gulf Shipping Co. Ltd and incorporated on 8th October 1875
Its promoters included Andrew Tennant, Robert Barr-Smith and Thomas Elder of Elder Smith & Co Ltd. In July 1876 the company’s leading promoters amalgamated their private ship-owning interests to form the Spencer’s Gulf Steamship Co Ltd, trading in SA coastal waters. The two companies amalgamated in December 1882. Adelaide Steamship Co was liquidated and reconstructed twice for more efficient and profitable operation, first in 1900 and subsequently in 1920. On 20 January 1915 they took over Coast Steamships Limited, and kept it running as a subsidiary that retained its own identity until 1968. During the 1940s this concern experienced a decline in trade and began to acquire interests in other companies and projects. On 1 Jan 1964 its interstate fleet was merged with that of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd in a new company, Associated Steamships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship Co held 40%. Bulkships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship held a 40% interest in 1965, acquired all the shares in Associated Steamship Ltd in 1968. In 1977 the company’s interest in Bulkships was disposed of, and Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd ceased its connection with ship owning and operating


Ed
HOUSE FLAG


Ed
FUNNEL


Page
3 of 4
M to Q

PAGE 1
A to D
PAGE 2
E to L
PAGE 4
R to Z
HOME!




MALTARA

1946-84

951 gross tons. Lbd: 209'4" x 31'5" x 13'7.5". Steel motorship (diesel) built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repair Co Ltd, Goole as the Ino for Bristol Steam navigation Co. Cargo vessel capable of 9 knots. Acquired 1954 by Adelaide Steamship Co., for their cement components trade. Worked the Klein's Point, Yorke Peninsular to Port Adelaide trade in carrying limestone for the Adelaide Cement Co Ltd., and on 28th September 1959 sold to their subsidiary Company - Acco Transport Ltd, Adelaide. Sold 1967 renamed Sandy registered in Panama. 1974 sold Indonesia renamed Bagas. 1984 scrapped (Maltara is a type of eucalypt)
image pending



MANOORA

1935-1961

10,856 gross tons, 6,261 net. Lbd: 463'5" x 66'2" x 249'8". Steel twin screw diesel powered passenger ship built by A Stephen & Sons Ltd, Glasgow. Engine = 8,200 bhp. Reached 18.5 knots at trials. Innovative design for the era, 3 decks, cruiser stern, refrigeration and promenade deck (fully open) with tennis courts, entertainment etc. Fitted with accommodation for 400 passengers in 2 classes. Regularly worked the Fremantle - Sydney route and Melbourne - Cairns service until commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy December 12th 1939 as an Armed Merchant Carrier (AMC). 1943 converted to a Landing Ship Infantry, participating in Island hopping landings, and, at war's end, transported Aussie troops back home from Asia and the Pacific Islands. 1949 handed back to owners to resume normal service. Sold to Indonesian Government 1961. Renamed Ambulombo, 1965 renamed Affan Oceana then Ambulombo in 1966. Sunk off Luzon on her way to Taiwan for scrapping 18th November 1972 (Manoora aboriginal name for 'Spring')


Upper right image as HMAS Manoora taken August 1947 now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details. Lower images as baggage labels


MANUNDA

1929-1957

9,115 gross tons, 5,300 net. Lbd: 430' x 60'2" x 35'6". Built Harland & Wolff, Glasgow. Steel twin screw passenger ship, rated 17.5 knots with service speed of 15 knots. Twin diesels = 10,000 ihp, cruiser stern, 3 decks refrigeration machinery and 300 passenger accomodation in 2 classes. Worked the interstate services until May 1940 when she was converted into a Hospital ship. Survived bombing of Darwin 19th February 1942. Refitted for normal passenger service 1947. 1956 sold to Japan renamed Hakone Maru. Scrapped 1957(Manunda is aboriginal word for 'waterhole')


Upper images as Hospital ship in real photo on Hobsons Bay Port Melbourne and Art version by John Allcot, Sydney now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards or larger prints. Click on image for details. Lower images as postcards of the era


MARLOO

1891-1914

2628 gross tons, 1,676 net. Lbd: 323' x 40'3" x 17'2". Clipper bow, passenger vessel. Built Palmers Shipbuilding Jarrow as the Francesco Crispi. Of triple expansion engine = 400hp, 4 boilers coal fired and made 12 knots service speed. Renamed when acquired by this Company 1895 as a passenger vessel of 300 and refitted with steerage extended into the hold for the Western Australian 'goldrush' demand. Latter part of her career saw passenger accomodation reduced to approx 120 and placed upon the Company's various coastal passenger routes. Wrecked Fraser Island, Queensland, 27 September 1914 (Marloo is aboriginal word for 'kangaroo')
MARLOO 1st image at Bulimba Point 1908 image courtesy State Library Queensland
centre image courtesy Nathan Smith, an excellent maritime artist contactable at mahenoguy@yahoo.com.au
3rd image courtesy State Library Victoria



MARRA

1955-84

1,396 gross tons. Lbd: 233'2" x 37'8" x 14'9". Built Ardrossan Dry Dock & Ship Building Co., Ardrossan for this concern. Of British Polar engine making 9.5 knots as a cargo vessel. May 1965 sold to Australian Army and renamed AS3051 (John Monash) and provided a shuttle service from Australia to Vietnam transporting cargo for the AustralianTask Force. Sold September 1974 to unknown buyers however prior to that sale, she worked the West Australian coast being used on the Ord River Project under 'Stateships' perhaps under lease. Clydebuilt shipsite states she was renamed 1976 Asian Queen, 1980 Arabian Victory and finally Sea Rose in 1981. Scrapped May 1984 at Gadani Beach, Pakistan (Marra is aboriginal word for 'hand')
left side image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details. Right side image as RAN vessel John Monash courtesy Australian War Memorial



MARY

1866-1909

89 gross tons. Lbd: 96' x 18' x 7'. Iron paddle steamer (steam tug) built by P N Russell under sub contract from John Cuthbert, Sydney for the Queensland Government. June 1890 W & W J Collin, Brisbane. June 1984 Adelaide Steamship Co. 1901 to J G Fearnley of Cairns, whom at the time was this company's agent. She was sheathed in wood Townsville June 1901. Whilst employed as a tug, sank at her moorings in Cairns August 2nd, 1909
MARY image with 'Lady Musgrave' (181512p) image courtesy State Library Queensland



MERINGA

1958-93

5,459 gross tons. Lbd: 411'6" x 53'6" x 22'1". Cargo vessel built by Hall, Russell & Co Pty Ltd., Aberdeen for the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Service speed = 12.5 knots. From January 1959 she commenced the 'sugar' run from Lucinda Point, North Queensland to Colonial Sugar Refineries plant at Pyrmont, Sydney. January 1964 transferred to Associated Steamships. 1977 sold to Bulkships subsidiary - Hull Investments Ltd, Australia. 1979 sold Panama. Broken up at Chittagong February 1993 (Meringa is aboriginal word for 'Red soil')
image courtesy State Library Queensland



MERRIWA

1915-41

5,629 gross tons. Lbd: 402' x 53'3" x 27'4". Cargo vessel built by Rickmers Weft, Bremerhaven as Willy Rickmers. Service speed = 10 knots. Renamed Gertrud 1917 and acquired 1921 from British Shipping controller. Renamed Merriwa by this concern. Sold 1928 to German interests renamed Ditmar Koel. Sold 1939 renamed Kate Grammerstorf. Sunk by a mine May 22nd 1941 (Merriwa is aboriginal word for 'Grass seed')
image image courtesy New South Wales



MILLUNA

1914-42

5,681 gross tons. Lbd: 402' x 53'3" x 27'4". Cargo vessel built by Rickmers Weft, Bremerhaven as Mabel Rickmers. Service speed = 10 knots. Renamed Franziska 1917. Acquired 1921 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd from British Shipping controller and renamed Milluna. Transferred to Auckland December 1928 until Jan 1930 and again from June 1930 until June 1931 when sold to Italian interests and renamed Mouni. 1936 renamed Tembein. Torpedoed by British submarine near Tripoli February 27th 1942 (Milluna is aboriginal word for 'racing')
image courtesy State Library Queensland



MINKARA

1954-83

2,616 gross tons. Lbd: 311'4" x 44'7" x 19'. Cargo vessel built at Grangemouth Dockyard Co Ltd, Greenock and purchased on the stocks by Adelaide Steamship Co. Burmeister & Wain diesel engine making 11.5 knots. Worked as a bulk cargo carrier. January 1964 was sold/transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Melbourne. Purchased by R.W. Miller in 1969 and renamed Ricky Miller. Sold 30th May 1976 to the Maldives Shipping Co of Panama renamed Maldive Carrier. Scrapped 1983 (Minkara is aboriginal word for 'Silver wattle tree')
image as the Ricky Miller image courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia



MINNIPA

1927-1963

1,977 gross tons, 986 net. Lbd: 253'1" x 39'9" x 22'. Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen as a passenger ship for this concern. Diesel engine - 2,700bhp and rated at 15 knots.150-200 passenger capacity on the Port adelaide - Port Lincoln run. Maintained that bi-weekly service since 1927, at times taking in Tumby as a port of call. Withdrawn June 1960 and sold to unknown interests who renamed her Mayon under Panamanian registry. Broken up Hong Kong late 1963 (Minnipa is aboriginal word for 'Hill')
images taken 1927 & 1935 courtesy State Library South Australia



MINTARO

1889-1951

2,286 gross tons. Lbd: 290'8" x 37'9" x 19'5". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow as the Larnaca for G M Steeves, Liverpool. Cargo only making 9 knots. Under this name she was chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co., Sydney from May 1897 and purchased in August 1899. Renamed Mintaro. Fitted to carry 506 cattle. Sold October 1913 to H C Sleigh, Sydney. Sold 1914 to Japanese owners and renamed Taisei Maru. 1920-21 renamed Daiboshi Maru. Scrapped Japan 1951. (Mintaro is aboriginal word for 'Drinking place for kangaroos')
image courtesy State Library Queensland



MOMBA

1926-72

3,021 gross tons. Lbd: 331'8" x 46'6" x 23'1" (Lb: 101.13 x 14.2 metres) Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern. Cargo vessel making 11 knots. Sold 1954 to interests at Wellington, New Zealand and renamed Ken Waihi. Was arrested at Sydney April 29th 1955 for debt, with the crew being repatriated May 9th and the vessel sold September to Italian interests being renamed Due GolfI. 1972 scrapped
image courtesy State Library South Australia



MOONTA (1)

1892-1931

2,266 gross tons. Lbd: 280' x 38'1" x 16'2". Steel steamship built by W Dobson and Co., Tyne Newcastle England as La Serena. Chartered from July 1896 under La Serena until stranded and abandoned to underwriters April 10th 1899. Purchased as a wreck by Adelaide Steamship Co., 1899 and registered as Moonta 1900. Sold 1913 to William Crosby & Co., Melbourne. January 1915 sold to Japan renamed Tokei Maru. Scrapped Japan 1931
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



MOONTA (2)

1931-1967

2,693 gross tons, 1,598 net. Lbd: 288'2" x 43'7" x 22'9". Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern as a passenger ship carrying 140-150 passengers. Diesel engine = 1,400 ihp. Service speed of 14 knots. Mostly serviced the Spencer Gulf trade and briefly engaged upon the Bass Strait run from June 6th 1955 until December 8th 1955 when relieving the steamship Taroona (whilst undergoing repairs) in servicing Melbourne - Launceston. Sold late December to Greek interests and renamed Lydia. 1967 sold to French interests who removed the engine and beached the hull at Perpignan, Southern France as a Casino/nightclub
both images postcards or the era



MORIALTA (1)

1911-1942

1,929 gross tons, 1,108 net. Lbd: 240' x 40'3" x 14'5". Built by D & W Henderson Ltd, at Patrick Glasgow for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide. She was a twin screw passenger ship designed for and placed upon the Spencer Gulf run. Service speed = 12 knots. Spent 3 years as interstate passenger vessel between Sydney and North Queensland during WW1. Sold 1919 to Hong Kong Interests and renamed Hai Loong. Sold again in 1922 to Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co Ltd., and renamed Gwydir. Worked the Sydney - Newcastle route. February 14th 1942 beached after collision with Neo Hebridais off Norah Head, New South Wales & dismantled where she lay
left image at Port Lincoln courtesy State Library South Australia. Right side image courtesy State Library Victoria (pending better images soon to be uploaded)



MORIALTA (2)

1940-73

1,379 gross tons, 695 net. Lbd: 219'5" x 39'1" x 13'. Steel motorship built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Dundee for this concern as a passenger ship. Service speed = 12.5 knots. Designed for the Spencer Gulf trades. Requisitioned by British Admiralty for WW2 duties. Finally arrived South Australian waters 1947. Sold September 1957 to John Burke Ltd, Brisbane and renamed Waiben. Sold December 1964 to Noumea renamed Jacques Del Mar. Sold 1968 renamed Long Life. Early 1972 renamed Royal Martin later same year renamed Island Pearl. December 23rd 1973 struck a mine on a voyage from Phnom Penh to Singapore, capsized and sank (Morialta is aboriginal word for 'running water')
images courtesy State Library Victoria (pending better images soon to be uploaded)



MULCRA

1925-1976

1,168 gross tons. Lbd: 215'7" x 34'2" x 13'6". Built Svenberg Skbs & Msk, Svenborg as a cargo ship with limited passenger accomodation for this company. Engined by Burmeister & Wain with service speed of 9 knots. Commissioned by the RAN & U S Forces as an armament stores carrier 1942-5. Returned to civilian service 1946. Sold 1961 renamed La Trinidad. 1964 renamed Tasanee. 1973 renamed Andes. 1975 Veng-An. 1976 scrapped
Left image personal collection, right side image courtesy State Library South Australia *better images pending*



MUNDALLA

1926-70

3,018 gross tons. Lbd: 331'8" x 46'6" x 23'1". (98.15x14.17m) Steel motorship built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen for this concern and launched as the Mundoo but quickly renamed as another vessel same name was already in existence. Laid up 1954 but soon recommissioned. Since, recorded as sold to Hines Metals Ltd who since sold her in December 1959 to Southern Shipping of Vila, New Hebrides where she serviced overseas from Australian ports. Sold 1962 renamed Adele Beam. Renamed Perola 1965. 1965 transferred to Panama registry. 1970 scrapped (Mundalla is aboriginal word for 'sweet')
image courtesy State Library Victoria. better images pending



MUNDOORA

1960-84

4,116 gross tons. Lbd: 340'10" x 52'7" x 22'1". General cargo vessel built by Evans, Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for Adelaide Steamship Co. Service speed of 12.5 knots. Doxford engine constructed at the Commonwealth engine works, Melbourne. Transferred to Associated Steamships January 1964. 25th January 1975 she was time chartered to BHP Shipping for 12 months. Laid up from February 1976 at Sydney until sold 24th May 1976 to Maldives Shipping and renamed Marina from 8th June. Foundered at 14.35N/59.01E on the 9th September 1984 when bound Aqaba-Calcutta with cargo of phosphates. (Mundoora is aboriginal word for 'deep water')
better images pending



MURIEL

1881-1931

108 gross tons. Lbd: 91'5" x 18'4" x 7'3". Steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth for owners in Colchester, England. Service speed of 6 knots. Acquired by McIlwraith McEacharn circa 1883. August 1889 Registered Melbourne to Charles Douglas & Partners. December 1890 W Cowper & Partners. August 1894 Adelaide Steamship Co. Engaged in Queensland port trades, as likely a tender to the larger vessels where practible. Sold 1926 to Hayles Magnetic Island Pty Ltd., Queensland and register officially closed 1931 after she had been stripped and beached at Townsville
any image unlikely to exist



MYRNA

1929-64

Unregistered Wooden motor lighter built for the company in Sydney circa 1929. Capable of 8 knots. Sold/transferred 1964 to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd. Records, exact data obscure
any image unlikely to exist



NALPA

1918-55

685 gross tons. Lbd" 180'8" x 28'7" x 12'6". Built by Wortelboer & Co., Delfzijl as the Solholm. Service speed of 8 knots. Serviced the Yorke Penninsular in carrying barley and other crop produce to Port Adelaide. Acquired in June 1921 and renamed. Chartered to AUSN Co, Sydney in 1934 and subsequently sold to that concern December 1937 and renamed Buranda. 1946 sold renamed Chung Foo. No Lloyd's of London registry since 1955, presumed scrapped (Nalpa is aboriginal word for 'Saw of the Sawfish')
better images pending



NARDOO

1902-27

2,907 gross tons. Lbd: 324' x 47'1" x 21'7". Cargo vessel built by W Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland for this company. Service speed of 9.5 knots. Recorded as purchased by Trinder, Anderson & Co, date unknown. Since, sold 1922 to Japan renamed Futami Maru. Wrecked january 23rd 1927 on a voyage between Vladivostock and Japan (Nardoo is aboriginal word for 'Plant with edible seeds')
better images pending



NINA

1916-30

Unregistered motor lighter 15 gross tons. Operated in West Australian waters between 1916-1930. Fate unknown
any image unlikely to exist



NOORA

1924-1957

1,072 gross tons. Lbd: 215' X 33'1" X 13'. Cargo vessel built Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydock Pty Ltd, Blyth as the Ornais. Service speed of 8.3 knots. Carried gypsum to the eastern states of Australia. Acquired 1927 renamed Noora. Sold 1956 to Hong Kong interests renamed King Bee. Wrecked January 24th 1957 en-route Amoy to Hong Kong (Noora is aboriginal word for 'Tail')
left image courtesy State Library of New South Wales. Right side imagenow available for purchase here as a 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



OORAMA

1921-1956

1,051 gross tons, 589 net. Lbd: 210'4" x 33'2" x 12'9". Cargo vessel built John Fullerton & Co., Paisley as a steel hulled steamship for the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd, Adelaide . Propulsion: T3cy 156nhp. Employed transporting gypsum from South Australia to Sydney Cement and plaster manufacturers, returning with coal. Sold June 1949 renamed Tuggerah by Wallarah Coal Co. Sold January 1956 to Cambray Prince S S Co Hong Kong renamed Brenda. Scrapped Hong Kong August 1956 (Oorama is aboriginal word for 'Tomorrow')
better images pending



OTWAY

1872-1913

446 gross tons, 271 net. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Iron steamship of 93 horsepower, 2 masts as built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. Designed as a passenger vessel for their Melbourne - Western Districts of Victoria run. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall, whom together with Anderson, became the Western Australian Shipping Company. That concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra S N Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymbodia. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
Left image as owned by Warrnambool SP Co, centre image as watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details. Image unloaded (pending) as real photo dockside with good resolution



OURAKA

1890-1932

2,627 gross tons. Lbd: 300'3" x 41'2" x 19'6". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co Port Glasgow for the Adelaide Steamship Company . Cargo vessel with 6 berth passenger capacity, service speed of 9 knots. Presumedly employed carrying coal and laid up at Sydney 1892 during a lull in coal contracts. 1911 was servicing Queensland coast. February 1914 sold to H C Sleigh. Later same year sold to Japan renamed Yei Maru No. 2. Renamed Ying Ping 1930. 1941 renamed Hasshu Maru and under this name was bombed and sunk north of Tanahmera Bay, New Guinea 02.33S 140.43E 10th March 1944 (Ouraka - aboriginal word for 'Wait awhile')
better 'real photo' image pending. Right side image as watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



PARATTAH

1904-32

4196 gross tons. Lbd: 375'6" x 49'. ex Berlin of the German-Australian Steam Ship Co. 1914 seized by Australia at Sydney and renamed Parattah. Operated by this company as Managers on behalf of Australian Government from 1920. Operated between east coast ports and West Australia. Sold 1925 to E. Marcou of Greece renamed Markakis. Scrapped at Italy 1932
image as a Dufty art postcard c1914-20 now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



PARINGA

1908-35

1310 gross tons, 762 net. Lbd: 230'2" x 36'1" x 13'9". Steel steamship built Kinghorn, England for the Adelaide Steamship Company's Spencer Gulf passenger services. Cargo vessel with 80 passenger capacity. Triple expansion engine = 1,600 ihp and making 11 knots. During WW1 serviced the Sydney - Cairns route in lieu of larger vessels being absent on war duties. Was laid up in Port Adelaide until sold to Chinese interests in 1935 when her register as a British ship closed. Late December 1935, whilst towing the old tanker Vincas out of Western Port, the ships met a gale off Wilsons Promontory; when the line parted the Paringa disappeared in the darkness and apparently foundered in Bass Strait shortly after with a loss of five European officers and twenty six Chinese crew (Paringa - aboriginal word for 'By the river')
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



PENOLA / PERTH

1863-87

349 gross tons, 261 net. Lbd: 170'5" x 22'5" x 12'6". Iron steamship, clipper bow as built by Laurence Hill & Co., Glasgow 1863 as the Penola for Grice Sumner and Co. of Melbourne. Held a 2 cylinder engine of 80 horsepower and rated at 10 knots service speed. Designed for the passenger trade between Melbourne and Adelaide. June 1865 owned by G Ormerod of Robe, Western Australia. Sank the steamship City of Launceston in a collision Port Phillip Bay November 19th 1865. Sold March 1874 to J J Grice & Partners. July 1887 sold to Mount Gambier Steamship Co Ltd. Same year lengthened Lbd: 194'6" x 22'5" x 12'6". With refitting tonnage change became 414 gross, 310 net. March 1881 owned by Piggot & Partners. October 1882 ownership of W Whinham, Port Adelaide. August 1883 Adelaide Steamship Co who retained the name Penola until she was rebuilt and given a straight stem, ie: removal of the clipper bow. Lbd: became 192'1" x 22'5" x 12'6" in 1885 and she was renamed Perth. During her career passenger numbers varied in carrying capacity, with rebuilds she was reported as being capable of 100 by her final refit. Wrecked ashore near Point Cloates, Western Australia, 13th September 1887. The boiler burst soon after she struck injuring several firemen, but all passengers and crew landed safely
better image pending



QUORNA

1912-47

565 gross tons, 231 net. Lbd: 175'5" x 28'1" x 11'6". Steel steamship built by J. Fullerton & Co, Paisley as the Warrener for George Wills & Co, reg. Port Adelaide. Triple expansion engine producing 86 nhp. Service speed of 9.5 knots. 26 passenger berths and certified to carry 45. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Renamed Quorna August 1913 when sold to Adelaide Steamship Co. 1915 passenger accomodation added, new tonnage as 606 gross tons, 265 net. Reputed to have 80 passenger capacity. Employed in the Spencer Gulf trade and used as a 'relief' vessel within the fleet. Laid up at Port Adelaide circa 1947 and gradually stripped. Hull presented to the RAAF and towed to sea October 30th 1950 and sunk off Kangaroo Island by bombers (Quorn - aboriginal word for 'deep')
Left side image private collection. Right side image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details






TOP of PAGE HOME!

2007-18 © John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved