FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

A to Z
quick link

Adelaide
Agnes
Albany
Aldinga (1)
Aldinga (2)
Allara
Allinga
Arakaba
Aroona
Baldina
Baroota
Barossa
Barrier
Barunga
Borda
Brinawarr
Broadway
Bullara
Bundaleer
Bungaree
Burra
Camira
Cantara
Carroo
Ceduna
Claude
Claud Hamilton
Cloncurry *chartered*
Colac
Craiglee
Croydon
Dilga
Dilkera
Dumaresq
Dundala
Echunga
Empire Gladstone *chartered*
Emu
Ferret
Flinders (1)
Flinders (2)
Franklin
Goondi
Grantala
Herbert
Industry *chartered*
Innamincka
Investigator
Junee
Kadina
Kapara
Karalta
Karaweera
Katoora
Kepler
Kolya
Konanda
Koorie
Korara
Koombana
Lammeroo
Lubra
Maltara
Manoora
Manunda
Marloo
Marra
Mary
Meringa
Merriwa
Milluna
Minkara
Minnipa
Mintaro
Momba
Moonta (1)
Moonta (2)
Morialta (1)
Morialta (2)
Mulcra
Mundalla
Mundoora
Muriel
Myrna
Nalpa
Nardoo
Nina
Noora
Oorama
Otway
Ouraka
Parratah
Paringa
Pelican
Penola/Perth
Quorna
River Burdekin *managed*
River Clarence *managed*
Rob Roy
Royal Shepherd
Rupara
South Australia
Swainby *chartered*
Tarcoola
Terka
Tolga
Toorie
Troubridge
Tully
Uco
Ulooloo
Urilla
Victorian
Wakefield
Wandana *chartered*
Wandila
Warilda
White Heather
Willochra
Willyama
Winfield
Willyama
Wortanna
Yankalilla
Yongala
Yuna







FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Ed Ed Ed

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF





ADELAIDE STEAMSHIP
Ed

COMPANY LIMITED

Formed in September 1875 in Adelaide, South Australia, by a group of pastoralists and businessmen some whom already had steamship interests in the Spencer Gulf, namely Federal Wharf Co. Ltd, Port Adelaide Dredging Company Ltd and Spencer Gulf Shipping Co. Ltd and incorporated on 8th October 1875
Its promoters included Andrew Tennant, Robert Barr-Smith and Thomas Elder of Elder Smith & Co Ltd. In July 1876 the company’s leading promoters amalgamated their private ship-owning interests to form the Spencer’s Gulf Steamship Co Ltd, trading in SA coastal waters. The two companies amalgamated in December 1882. Adelaide Steamship Co was liquidated and reconstructed twice for more efficient and profitable operation, first in 1900 and subsequently in 1920. On 20 January 1915 they took over Coast Steamships Limited, and kept it running as a subsidiary that retained its own identity until 1968. During the 1940s this concern experienced a decline in trade and began to acquire interests in other companies and projects. On 1 Jan 1964 its interstate fleet was merged with that of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd in a new company, Associated Steamships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship Co held 40%. Bulkships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship held a 40% interest in 1965, acquired all the shares in Associated Steamship Ltd in 1968. In 1977 the company’s interest in Bulkships was disposed of, and Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd ceased its connection with ship owning and operating


Ed
HOUSE FLAG


Ed
FUNNEL


Page
4 of 4
R to Z

PAGE 1
A to D
PAGE 2
E to L
PAGE 3
M to Q
HOME!




RIVER BURDEKIN

1943-71

*as Managed*


5,108 gross tons, 2,804 net. Lbd" 449'2" x 56'8" x 25'6". (136.85x17.3 m.) Steam powered cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as Managers. October 1947 Australian Shipping Board took over management. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Indonesia government renamed Djajadwitja. Several Indonesian owners since until scrapped Kaoshiung 1971
image courtesy State Library Victoria



RIVER CLARENCE

1943-68

*as Managed*

5,995 gross tons. 3,451 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'6". Steam powered cargo vessel built Cockatoo Island Docks & Engineering Co, Sydney for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as Managers. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. Feb 1957 transferred to he Australian National Line. 1960 sold to World-Wide Shipping Co Ltd renamed Golden Alpha. Many ownership changes since until scrapped Japan 1968
image courtesy State Library Queensland



ROB ROY

1867-1901

309 gross tons, 200 net. Lbd: 148'2" X 21'5" X 15'1". Iron steamship built by Thomas Wingate & Co, Whiteinch for C V Robinson, Launceston Tasmania and J Lilley of Melbourne with the ship being registered at Melbourne. 2 cylinder engine producing 50hp. Service speed of 9 knots. Passenger capacity of 60 in two classes. November 1872 refitted becoming 168' x 21'5" x 15'1" with tonnage being 393 gross and 267 net. Serviced the Melbourne - Launceston trade until (unknown date) she was placed upon the Western districts of Victoria trade in a lively arena of competition. By 1877 the western Steam Navigation Company held sway over all other competitiors and this vessel changed over to the Western Australian coastal services. By November 1878 J Lilley & Marshall were the registered owners. Stranded at Cossack, Western Australia. February 1882 registration cancelled, towed to Melbourne for repairs. Re-registered Melbourne for Lilley & Marshall September 1882 until sold to Adelaide Steamship Co May 1883. Under this ownership, she saw service upon the Western Australia coast as well as upon the South Australia gulf region and at times along the Queensland coast. Passenger capacity varied, up to 100 according to records. Hulked 1901, isolated at Melbourne until fully scrapped 1910
Left image personal collection. Right image as a painting now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



ROYAL SHEPHERD

1853-90

265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (after mizzen mast removed and main mast moved further forward late 1865) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853 for Major & Co of Greenock 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots on 22 tons of coal. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



RUPARA

1906-24

1,368 gross tons, 791 net. Lbd: 230'2" x 36'2" x 13'7". Steel single screw steamship built R & W Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Hebburn-on-Tyne, Newcastle. Designed for the Spencer Gulf trade, Adelaide - Eyre Peninsular town of Port Lincoln in an express passenger service. Steamed from Port Lincoln, across the Spencer Gulf to Wallaroo, and returning to Port Adelaide via Port Lincoln. Became a regular until World War 1 when she was diverted to the east coast serving Cairns via Brisbane from Sydney. Capable of 102 passengers, 72 first class and 30 second class. Sold to Hong Kong interests in 1919. Sold again to owners in Manila and renamed Heras. Wrecked April 1924, full details obscure (Rupara - aboriginal word for 'Round hill')
images showing passeners, crew and vessel were postcards of the era. Sharper digital real photo image pending



SOUTH AUSTRALIAN

1876-1909

656 gross tons, 353 net. Lbd: 226'1" x 26'4" x 13'5". Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson & Co., Meadowside Glasgow as a (100) passenger vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide for their Adelaide - Melbourne passenger trade. Compounded engine producing 436 horsepower with a service speed of 12 knots. 1878 tonnage increased to 716 gross, 412 net and capable of carrying 170 passengers. She was their first regular service steamer to Sydney and became their first steamer to visit Brisbane. Sold February 1898 to A Sneddon, Sydney who converted her into a collier with limited passenger capacity. Chartered out to William Rankin of the Howard Colliery for 3 months early 1899. December 1904 sold to Mutual Shipping Co Ltd., of Fiji. Driven ashore and abandoned on Wallis Island (Tonga) in 1909. She was eventually salvaged and employed as a hulk at Levuka, Fiji until blown ashore and totally wrecked in 1914 (Sister ship Victorian)
right side image as a watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



SWAINBY

1941-71

*chartered only*

6,711 gross tons, 9712 dwt. Lb: 131.6 x 17.2 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Sunbeam for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1945 until 1954. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 1st March 1948 until 8th December 1948. Bareboat chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co., South Australia from 11th December 1952 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast during 1953. 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co, london (Tsavliris Shipping) renamed Newgate. October 1971 scrapped at Istanbul
image postcard of the era



TARCOOLA

1902-36

2,647 gross tons. Lbd: 326' x 45'4" x 21'8". Steel steamship built by Tyne Shipbuilbers Co., Willington Quay on Tyne. Service speed of 9 knots. Triple expansion reciprocating steam engine 1400 ihp. Cargo only vessel, serviced the Queensland coast circa 1911. Sold April 1932 to Australian Tramp Steamers Ltd., of Hong Kong. again sold 1933 to Chinese interests and renamed Pei an. Wrecked April 1936 (Tarcoola - aboriginal word for 'Bend in river')
image courtesy of State Library Western Australia



TERKA

1925-1944

420 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for and in conjunction with Dorman, Long & Co as the Sir Dudley De Chair. Service speed = 8 knots. Her purpose with Dorman Long & Co was ancilliary to the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Chartered early 1927 by the White Steamship Co, Sydney (J G White) who ran her between Brisbane and Sydney. White Steamship co went into voluntary liquidation July 1927. Acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1928, renamed Terka and placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. 1940 became RAN auxilliary vessel WW2, as a minesweeper and later as a water carrier. Lost at Madang 26th March 1944 (Terka - aboriginal word for 'Kangaroo')
imagecourtesy of Australian War Memorial



TOLGA

1925-1946

418 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for Dorman, Long & Co, Sydney as the Dorlonco. Service speed = 8 knots. Renamed 1926 as Sir T Hugh Bell. Sold to the Adelaide Steamship Co in 1930 and renamed Tolga. Placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. 1940 became RAN auxilliary vessel WW2, as a minesweeper and later as a water carrier. Purchased by the Navy 1946 and scuttled April same year
image courtesy of Australian War Memorial



TOORIE

1925-1956

414 gross tons. Lbd: 147' x 26'6" x 9'2". Steel steamship built by New South Wales Government Dockyard Newcastle, Australia for Dorman, Long & Co, Sydney as Sir Arthur Dorman. Service speed = 8 knots. Acquired by Adelaide steamship Co 1928 renamed Toorie. Placed upon the Queensland coast lightering sugar to larger vessels. Minesweeper for RAN November 1940 until January 1943. Sold 1956 to Hong Kong for scrapping
Image at Williamstown prior to refit as RAN auxiliary vessel WW2 (Toorie - aboriginal word for 'Water hen')
image courtesy of Australian War Memorial



TROUBRIDGE

1961-2004

,995 tons, 582 net. Lbd: 291'6" x 50'1" x 13'1". Built by Evans, Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane as a passenger cargo vehicle ship servicing Port adelaide and the Gulf ports. Service speed of 14.5 knots. She came under the Adelaide Steamship (Operations) Ltd., a subsidiary company of Adelaide Steamship Co. Finally sold outright to the South Australian government 1972 ending 90 plus years of coastal shipping services by the Adelaide Steamship Company. She became a joint venture between R.W. Miller and Co., and the South Australian Government Roads Department on equal shareholdings of 50% each. Worked the Port Adelaide - Kangaroo Island - Port Lincoln service. This was a very profitable ferry service and 'iconic' to many locals. Replaced by the "Island Seaway" 1st June 1987. The partnership between R.W. Miller and Co., and the South Australian Government Roads Department continued on the earlier basis and shareholding. At this date the R.W. Miller and Co., had become a 100% subsidiary of Howard Smith Ltd. Since she went to Malta, 1990 and renamed City of Famagusta. Later European Seaways as the European Glory. Then Poseidon Lines, as the Sea Wave. 1995 Turkey interests as the Karden. 2003 possibly under charter to Gibraltar Lines renamed Marwa, registered in North Korea. 2004 from March scrapping began at Aliaga
postcard of the era



TULLY

1910-27

115 gross tons. Wooden steamship built by D Sullivan, Manning River New South Wales for James Broadford of Townsville. Later J Broadford & Sons Ltd. Service speed of 7 knots. Purchased via liquidators of J Broadford & Sons (along with the steamer 'Goondi') in July 1926. Wrecked Johnstone River North Queensland 1st September, 1927
image taken at Maria Creek, Queensland now available for purchase here as a modern 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



UCO

1919-65

386 gross tons. Lbd: 135'4" x 29' x 13'6". Steel steamship built by Murdoch & Murray Ltd., Port Glasgow as the St Kitts. Acquired 1926, renamed and employed as a salvage tug off Fremantle until 1952 when transferred to the WaratahTug & Salvage Co and renamed St Kitts. Withdrawn from sevice 1963. Scrapped 1965 (Uco - aboriginal word for 'Canoe')
image courtesy State Library New South Wales



ULOOLOO

1924-1962

3,238 gross tons. Lbd: 332' x 46'6" x 23'. Steel steamship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd, Dalmuir Glasgow as a cargo vessel. Serice speed of 11 knots. Began as a general cargo carrier servicing most states until diverted to the Queensland sugar trade. Sold 1957 to Cambray Prince S S Co, renamed Clyde Breeze. Early 1962 renamed Hankong Scrapped mid 1962 (Ulooloo - aboriginal word for 'Permanent watercourse')
better image pending



URILLA

1907-37

1,965 gross tons. Lbd: 275'7" x 40'4" x 18'7". Steel hulled cargo steamship built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesborough England for this company. Service speed of 9 knots. Where employed is unknown. Sold August 1931 renamed Shun Hong. 1935 renamed Heng Mei and later same year renamed Lee Ping. Sunk as a blockship Whangou River, March 1937 (Urilla is aboriginal word for 'Running water')
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



VICTORIAN

1876-95

653 gross tons, 354 net. Lbd: 225'8" x 26'4" x 13'5". Tonnage increased October 1878 to 718 gross, 415 net. Iron steamship built by D W Henderson, Glasgow. Service speed of 14 knots on 30 tons per coal. Sister ship South Australian. Both built in Scotland for the Adelaide-Melbourne passenger trade. Could carry 100 persons and increased to 170 in 1878. Eventually serviced all of this concern's intercolonial passenger services around Australia. The Victorian was gutted by fire in 1895 while laid up in Johnson Bay, Sydney, alongside the steamship - 'Emu' and her (Victorian) sistership the 'South Australian'. Badly gutted she was converted to a hulk and employed in Townsville and later Melbourne. Finally condemned and scuttled outside Port Phillip Heads Victoria, May 8th 1925
left image courtesy State Library of Victoria. Right image as a watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



WAKEFIELD

1877-1920

104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. Cargo vessel making 8 knots. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. Sold August 1910 to the British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked
image courtesy State Library Queensland



WANDILLA

1912-42

7,785 gross tons, 4532 net. Lbd; 411'3" x 56'7" x 34'1". Steel hulled twin screw passenger vessel as built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for this concern along with sisterships Warilda & Willochra. Twin quadruple expansion engines = 626nhp on 6 coal fired boilers. Her top speed is recorded as 16.36 knots and her average service speed rated as 14.5 knots. Placed upon the Fremantle - Sydney service, carrying 400 passengers. Requisitioned as a troop transport vessel in May 1915 and converted into a hospital ship July 1916. When serving in the status of Hospital ship, she was torpedoed by a U-boat in February 1918. The torpedo failed to explode. Returned to Adelaide Steamship Co in 1919 as the Company believed there was no future in coastal pasenger services at the time. 1921 sold to Burmuda & West Indies SS Co (Furness-Withy) and renamed Fort St George. 1935 Lloyd Triestino acquired and renamed Cesarea. Renamed Arno 1938. Converted into a hospital ship by the Italian forces during WW2. Torpedoed and sunk 40 miles off Tobruk September 10th 1942 (Wandilla is aboriginal word for 'sister' &/or 'baby')
images in peacetime livery and in Hospital Ship markings both available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards or larger prints. Click on images for details



WANDANA

1913-48

*chartered only*

7090 gross tons, 10445 dwt. Lbd:205'7" x 32'6" x 11'8". on: 122745. Steel single screw steamship built for the West Coast Shipping Co by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, in Glasgow, Scotland. Held a Muir & Houston triple expansion engine 156 nhp, 1200 ihp, two coal fired boilers and rated 12 knots. Passenger accommodation - 80 first class, 20 steerage. When ordered by the West Coast Shipping Co she was intended for the Port Adelaide - Murat Bay (West Coast) passenger trade. Well designed for accomodation of 100 first class passengers in staterooms within main deck, The Ladies were catered for with their own room on the promenade deck whilst steerage passengers were exactly that, placed aft. By the time she arrived in May 1913, she performed on such run. November 1913 of the Coast Steamships Ltd and placed on the Port Lincoln - Port Adelaide run and the Wallaroo - Cowell trade in stiff competition to the Adelaide SS Co's 'Morialta'. 1915 was chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co to run the mail around the Spencer Gulf ports, and did so for the next 12 years. January 1918 re-measured at 964 gross, 514 net tons. November 1922 again re-measured at 974 gross, 502 net. Owned by John Burke & Co, Brisbane 1931-1948 servicing Queensland ports after major accomodation refit. (He even made special accomodation for about 12 natives). Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy 1941 and serviced the run to Darwin. Returned to owners post hostilities and scrapped 1948 Wandana means "Along the coast"
image now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



WARILDA

1912-18

7,713 gross tons, 4477 net. Lbd: 411'6" x 56'7" x 34'1". Twin screw steel passenger ship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for this concern along with sisterships Wandilla & Willochra. Twin quadruple expansion engines = 626nhp on 6 coal fired boilers. Her top speed is recorded as 16 knots and her average service speed rated as 14.5 knots. Commenced passenger services out of Fremantle, Western Australia upon arrival 1912. Capable of almost 400 in three classes. August 1915 requisitioned as an Australian Troopship designated A69 and completed 3 troopship voyages. Converted into a hospital ship July 1916
Between Southampton and Le Havre, in 1918, she was struck by a torpedo that failed to explode. Following that she was involved in a collison at sea resulting in heavy damage
3rd August 1918 torpedoed and sunk by U-boat in English Channel with the loss of 130 lives (Warilda is aboriginal word for 'wattle gum' and 'Place of wild honey')

Upper left & upper right images now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards or larger prints. Click on image for details. Lower images courtesy State Library of New South Wales with lower right courtesy Australian War Memorial


WHITE HEATHER

1886-1908

23 gross tons. Lbd: 45'8" x 13'4" x 5'4". Wooden steamship built by Rock Davis at Blackwall, New South Wales as the Nimrod. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co from Askin M Foster in 1902. Utilised as a steam tender on Sydney Harbour. Service speed of 10 knots. November 8th 1908 sank after a collision with the paddle steamer 'Newcastle' off Morts Dock Sydney
image wanted



WILLOCHRA

1913-29

7,784 gross tons, 4,532 net. Lbd: 411'7" x 56'7" x 25'1". Steel twin screw passenger ship built by W Beardmore & Co Ltd., Dalmuir for the company along with sisterships Wandilla & Warilda. Twin quadruple expansion engines producing 626nhp and 7,000ihp. Rated at 15.5 knots. Upon completion chartered to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. Requisitioned by the New Zealand Government November 17th, 1914 for trooping duties, and then by the British Government 1918. Returned to this Company and sold 1919 to the Bermuda & West Indies S S Co Ltd. Renamed Fort Victoria, she sunk in collision with the 'Algonquin', in New York Harbour December 19th 1929. Wreck later blown up to clear channel. In her brief career, she never carried passengers along the Australian coast. (Willochra is aboriginal for 'Place of green bushes')
Left side image as tinted postcard courtesy State Library New South Wales. Right side images as HMNZT 27 and in Dazzle paint both available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcards or larger prints. Click on images for details



WILLYAMA

1897-1907

2705 tons. Lbd: 325'5" x 45'1" x 21'. Steel steamship built by W Dobson & Co., Low Walker Glasgow for this concern. Early 1907, off Albany, Western Australia she broke her tailshaft. Taken into that port then towed to South Australian waters where she was grounded at Shark Bay. After her cargo was lightered off, she was run ashore at Marion Bay in the Yorke Peninsula, 13 April 1907. Prevailing rough weather damaged her so badly she was abandoned as a total loss
Better image pending



WINFIELD

1900-33

3,215 gross tons, 2,082 net. Lbd: 330'7" x 45'7" x 16'2". Steel steamship built by W Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow for E L Hickie, registered London. Of triple expansion engine = 1,200ihp, rated at 9.5 knots. November 1901 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Predomintly a cargo vessel, and yet she could accomodate 25 passengers. Serviced intrastate on Western Australia ports, being fitted to carry 210 cattle and 600 sheep. Also worked this company's other regular ports of call. 1915, during a chronic grain shortage as a result of of tumultuous rains in the winter of that year, she was diverted to importing grain from the USA on several occassions. With a proven ocean-going record, she was requisitioned by the British Admiralty in 1918 and despatched overseas. Details of her service are seemingly not recorded or just unavailable. May 1919 sold to Greek interests renamed Aristides Bistis. 1921 renamed N Hadzikyriakos. 1924 renamed Chrysanthi. Stranded on the Swedish coast March 2nd 1933, refloated but broken up
WINFIELD image (PRG280_1_29_248) courtesy State Library South Australia



WOLLOWRA

1891-28

2,631 gross tons, 1,678 net. Lbd: 323' x 40'3" x 7'. Steel steamship built by Palmers Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Jarrow as the Silvio Spaventa of Italian owners. Held a triple expansion engine = 400nhp and rated at 12 knots. Passenger capacity 306. Acquired May 1895 and renamed Wollowra. Upon the advent of the Western Australia 'goldrush' her passenger capacity was increased to approx 470 and, stabling fitted onboard for 39 horses. Later passenger capacity reduced to 161 in comfort and she serviced most, if not all, of this Company's passenger coastal services. October 1915 sold to B W Pritchard of Hong Kong, and several unkown owners since. 1923 of Spanish owners who renamed her Iberia. Scrapped at Norway 1928. (Wollowra is aboriginal for 'eagle')
Left side image courtesy courtesy State Library Victoria. Right side image as a watercolour now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click on image for details



WORTANNA

1875-1957

191 gross tons. Iron auxilliary motor vessel. Propulsion: Side Lever 2 cylinder 60nhp paddle. Built 1875 by Barclay Curle & Company Glasgow, as the Albatross for Captain Mitchell. Constructed as a paddle steamer rigged as a brig. 1876 owned by John Marshall, Melbourne. 1877 J Paterson, Melbourne. 1906 E Newbiggin & Partners. 1909 J Paterson & Co Ltd, Melbourne. 1917-18 J Wardle. 1918 Frank A Verco. 1917-18 new oil engine added and rebuilt as auxiliary 3 mast schooner. Lbd became 131'4" x 21'1" x 10'4". 1920 Victor C Reeves, Hobart. 1921 Cairns Timber Ltd. June 1922 Adelaide Steamship Co. Converted into a Sugar lighter, North Queensland ports. 1942-1945 requisitioned by US Army. Returned to Adelaide Steamship Co and re-engined into twin screw motor vessel diesel power of 228 gross tons. 18th November 1957 struck rocks Mourilyan Harbour, Queensland (en route Mourilyan to Cairns with sugar) and abandoned as a total loss. Sold for scrapping 8th January 1958 (Wortanna is aboriginal for 'the sea')
image personal collection. another image pending




YANKALILLA

1907-41

3,477 gross tons. Lbd: 350' x 49'1" x 23'8". Steel steamship built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton for Cardiff owners as the Lady Lewis. Acquired by this concern in May 1912 and renamed. Cargo vessel only and rated at 9 knots. Where she worked is unknown however, she did undergo overseas duties in imported grain from the USA during 1915-16 and under Commonwealth Government control. Returned post war to owners where again, no record of her service is known. Sold 1929 to Swedish interests renamed Bolivia. Finnish owners renamed her Pluto in 1935. Torpedoed and sunk June 28 1941 off Outer Hebrides
YANKALILLA image (-PRG280_1_33_167) aground at Wallaroo courtesy State Library South Australia



YONGALA

1902-11

3,664 gross tons, 1,957 net. Lbd: 350' x 45'2" x 27'2". Sistership 'Grantala'. Steel passenger steamship built by Armstrong Whitworth & Co., Wallsend Newcastle. Held a triple expansion engine = 690 nominal horsepower and 5 single ended boilers. Passenger capacity of 225 and service speed of 14.5 knots, although rated at 15 plus during trials. Specificially designed for the interstate passenger trade on the Australian coast. Vanished with all 120 on board in a cyclone after leaving the Queensland port of Mackay for Townsville on 23 March 1911. The wreck was found by skin divers in the late 1970s, but gave no indication of why she sank. She is now a fantastic diver's attraction as a living reef, encompassing the fact that she is in almost intact condition. (Yongala is aboriginal word meaning 'broadwater', & 'a watering place')
left side images as postcards in issue that era. right side image also postcard in issue by 'Empire' and now now available for purchase here as modern 6x4 inch reproduction postcard or larger print. Click on image for details


YUNA

1944-70

479 gross tons. Lbd: 143'1" x 30'1" x 14'11". Steel steamship built by Clelands Ltd., Wallsend on Tyne as the Empire Winnie. 1947 renamed Zealandia for unknown owners. Acquired by this concern in 1952 and employed as a tug. 1961 transferred to Operations Company, laid up 1970, sold mid 1972 towed to and scrapped Bunbury West Australia
image at Fremantle unworked version here - pending per 'Ships Nostalgia' website





TOP of PAGE HOME!

2007-18 © John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved