PORT AUSTRALIA

 

 

A to Z
quick link

Baralga
Bilkurra
Binburra
Boonaroo
Bulwarra
Dalby
Dandenong
Daylesford
Delungra
Denman
Dubbo
Edenhope
Elmore
Enfield
Eugowra
Euroa
Inyula
Lake-Barrine (1)
Lake-Eyre (1)
Nilpena
Ransdoerp
Noongah
River Burdekin
River Burnett
River Clarence
River Derwent
River Fitzroy
River Glenelg
River Hunter
River Loddon
River Mitta
River Murchison
River Murray
River Murrumbidgee
River Norman
Talinga
Timbarra
Tyalla
Wangara
Windarra
Yanderra
Yarrunga

Port Australia
FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

of

AUSTRALIA NATIONAL LINE



Formed 1st January 1957, via The Australian Coastal Shipping Commission (ACSC), itself established by an Act of Parliament on the 1st October 1956, to take over and manage vessels previously under the control of the Australian Shipping Board.
With a new livery on the existing vessels transferred as well as those newly built since this Line's formation, a new vision of Australian coastal shipping came into force.
As at March 1957 40 vessels had been transferred, whilst two were later transferred in November 1957 and January 1958 respectively
Further construction saw interstate passenger ships, specialised bulk carriers, off main route designed general cargo vessels servicing smaller ports up to the uniquely designed "Trader" ships with Ro-Ro capacity. The Darwin Trader took containeristion to a new level with her ability to vary the types of cargoes carried as required. The advancing rate of container ships themselves in size and handling abilities also saw this concern as a major player, with overseas destinations added to the trade routes.
ANL Ltd., as it became in 1989, was dismantled by the Australian Government in 1998 with the name rights and overseas vessels being acquired by what is now
CMA CGM Holdings.
The name is still in use by this group as the subsidiaries ANL Container Line Pty. Ltd and ANL Singapore Pty. Ltd. using chartered tonnage which still bear the ANL funnel colours

No longer Australian owned except for the agency side of operations where perhaps 300 staff are employed
Ironically, perhaps more than co-incidental, the deliberate dismantling of a shipping line the Australian Government created has seen once again, the Prime Minister responsible lose his own seat for the second time in Australian history. Where Stanley Melbourne Bruce dismantled, and sold off the ACL Australian Commonwealth Line of Steamers, since, John Howard was removed from his seat in 2007
Some learn from history, others become history where at times, history repeats itself
THIS PAGE 1943 - 56

PAGE 2
1957-72
PAGE 3
1972-98




Ed Ed Ed Ed
Australian Coastal Shipping Comission House flag 1969 House flag up to1984 House flag since 1984


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BARALGA
1956-80
BILKURRA
1949-74
BINBURRA
1950-74
BOONAROO
1953-85
BILKURRA & BINBURRA images courtesy State Library Victoria
BOONAROO image courtesy Matterson Marine
BARALGA 3,895 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'3" x 22'7". General cargo vessel built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd., Sydney for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to ANL. 1964 refrigerated cargo capacity installed. March 1972 sold to Nilmore Ltd., of the Somali Republic and renamed Hang Chow. March 1977 renamed Taiping. 1979 sold to Sea Horse Shipping Co Ltd., Honduras and renamed Sea Horse. 1980 renamed Ever Luck however was scrapped at Kaohsiung later same year
BILKURRA 3,952 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1964 - 1967 bulk cargo tanks installed and side doors fitted. October 1969 Sold to Malaysian International Shipping Corp., and renamed Malaysia Maju. 1971 Sold to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Panama renamed Santa Carina. 1974 scrapped Hsinkang, China
BINBURRA 3,952 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. April 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1964 and 1966 bulk cargo tanks installed and side doors fitted. October 1969 Sold to Malaysian Internaltional Shipping Corp., and renamed Malaysia Pertama. 1971 Sold to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Panama renamed Santa Rosa. 1974 scrapped Kaohsiung
BOONAROO 3,904 gross tons. 6463 net. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'7". (123.6 x 16.2 metres) General cargo vessel built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd., Sydney for the Australian Shipping Board. Single screw, diesel, 12 knots. March 1957 transferred to ANL. 1966-7 Side port door installed. March 1967 commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a supply ship, being renamed HMAS Boonaroo. May 1957 returned to ANL. January 1971 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S. A. Hong Kong and renamed Collin Four. 1972 transferred to their No. 2 subsidiary registered Liberia. February 1976 sold to Singapore interests (Uni-Ocean Lines Pty Ltd) and renamed Reunion. November 1977 sold to United Orient Lines Ltd., Singapore. Broken up at Chittagong commencing 17 November 1985


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BULWARRA
1954-71
DALBY
1947-71
DANDENONG
1946-71
DAYLESFORD
1946-72
DALBY image courtesy Matterson Marine
DANDENONG & DAYLESFORD images courtesy State Library Victoria
BULWARRA 3,912 gross tons. Lbd: 405'1" x 53'1" x 22'7". General cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to ANL. 1962 refrigerated cargo capacity installed. January 1971 sold to Collin Navigation Co, SA Hong Kong and renamed Collin Five. 22nd October 1971 an engine breakdown in heavy seas caused her to run aground 9 miles off Keelung. She broke into three pieces and declared a total loss
DALBY 2,349 gross tons. 1,111 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by Evans Deakin & Co., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. 1956 through until 1957 underwent reconstruction at Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd Sydney, including being fitted with oil burning engine as well as extra cargo hold forward and a re-positioned funnel. January 1958 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1969 sold to Cronulla Cia Nav S.A. Panama and renamed Hualien. 14th November 1971 grounded off Peng Chia Hsu Island near Keelung China mainland during a Typhoon and abandoned as a total loss
DANDENONG 2,350 gross tons. 1,123 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". Machinery: 4 cylinder Lentz-type compound steam engine. Coal fired. General cargo steamship built by BHP Whyalla for the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. 1956 converted to burn oil. 1957 transferred to the ANL. 1960 sold to Jones Bros Coal Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Koorine.1964 sold to Leechco Steamship Co SA Panama and renamed Lady of Victoria. 1969 sold to Hong Kong Ocean Shipping Co Ltd of Somali Republic and renamed Sha Chau. November 1971 scrapped Kaohsiung
DAYLESFORD 2,351 gross tons. 1,124 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built at BHP Shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. Early 1955 converted to burn oil. Chartered November 1955 - June 1957 to Western Australian Government's 'State Shipping Service'. Late 1957 transferred to the ANL. 1960 sold to Fung Shing Nav Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Asia Star. 1969 renamed Asia Life. Later, exact date unknown, renamed Lady Grace. 1971 sold to China interests for demolition and scrapped 1972


Ed Ed Ed Ed
DELUNGRA
1947-74
DENMAN
1949-70
DUBBO
1947-69
EDENHOPE
1949-79
DELUNGRA, DENMAN & EDENHOPE images courtesy State Library Victoria
DUBBO image courtesy Matterson Marine
DELUNGRA 2,333 gross tons. 1,161 net. Lbd: 291"5" X 46'1" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle New South Wales for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). November 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line (ANL). April 1960 sold to B Stuart (H & S Credits Pty Ltd) Australia. May 1960 saw her towed to Hong Kong where she was sold in August to Lucas Navigation, SA Panama. 1961 sold again to Cia Nav., Pearl S.A., Panama and renamed Ping An. 1965 sold to Ta Peng Steamship Co Ltd., Taiwan being renamed Tayu. 1966 renamed Poti No 2 when sold to Poti Thai Navigation Co Ltd., Thailand. Again during 1966 sold to Tung Lee Navigation Co (Hong Kong) Ltd, Panama renamed An Tung. 1968 sold to The Jin Tong Co Ltd., South Korea and renamed Boklae. 1974 reported as scrapped at South Korea
DENMAN 2,265 gross tons. 1,100 net. Lbd: 291"5" X 46'1" X 18'10". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle New South Wales for the Australian Coastal Shipping Commission. March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line (ANL). Bareboat chartered to Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service on two occasions, from december 1960 - November 1961 and August 1964 until early 1965. Sold to Eddie Steamships (Philippines) Inc., registered Philippines and renamed Aurelio KL. 1970 sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers and scrapped that year
DUBBO 2,351 gross tons. 1,124 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle New South Wales for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred Oct 1947 to the ASB. 1956 converted to burn oil. March 1957 transferred to the ANL. May 1965 sold to Australia Pacific Co (Hong Kong) Ltd., Panama renamed Pacific Lady. Early 1969 sold to Litonjua Shipping Co Inc., Phillipines renamed Lord KL. Later 1969 sold to Lueng Yau, Shipbreakers at Hong Kong and scrapped
EDENHOPE 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182"10" x 31'1" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. From June 1951 until June 1953 bareboat chartered to the Newcastle and Hunter River Steamship Co Ltd. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1965 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed in 1966 Nukutoa. 1969 sold to Kinley Navigation Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1972 sold to Madrigal Shipping Co Inc., Panama. Stranded off the Philippines december 1978 and refloated January 1979. Written off to underwriters owing to extensive damage and scrapped Cebu City late 1979


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ELMORE
1949-87
ENFIELD
1948-__
EUGOWRA
1948-74
EUROA
1950-80
ELMORE image courtesy State Library Queensland
ENFIELD image courtesy Matterson Marine
EUROA image courtesy State Library Victoria
ELMORE 84 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built as the Elmore by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough, Queensland for the Australian Shipping Board. Single screw, diesel engine 10.5 knots. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1965 sold to John Burke Ltd., Australia and renamed Waiben. April 1966 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed in 1966 Nukumamu. 1970 sold to Bougainville Trading Co (1970) Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1973 sold to Morehead Shipping Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Sulpicio Lines Inc., Philippines and renamed Dona Lily. Deleted from registry 1990 believed scrapped Philippines by 1987. Deleted from register 1990
ENFIELD 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1965 sold to Legaspi Oil Co Inc., Philippines and renamed Helen J. February 1967 sold to Rodriguez Shipping Corp., Philippines and renamed Sultana. 1991 renamed Moses. 1995 renamed Edago 3. Owners unknown, believed still in service
EUGOWRA 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian Naltional Line. June 1969 sold to Pacific Islands Shipping Co Pty Ltd, Papua New Guinea and renamed Kieta. July 1974 scrapped in the Philippines
EUROA 584 gross tons, 264 net, 642 dwt. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". (55.7 x 9 metres) General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. March 1965 sold to Keith Hollands Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Maluka. January 1974 sold to Nuigini Pacific Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Seafreight Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1976 sold to Bishop Shipping Services Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. Reported stranded off Ragrave reef (9.41S/150.03.24E ) New Guinea, 1st June 1977. Refloated, towed to Lae, left at anchorage up until december 1980 and scrapped Salamaua Bay


Ed Ed Ed Ed
INYULA
1954-77
LAKE BARRINE (1)
1956-82
LAKE EYRE (1)
1956-75
NILPENA
1954-85
INYULA, LAKE BARRINE (1) & LAKE EYRE (1) images courtesy Matterson Marine
INYULA 4,887 gross tons, 2,882 net. Lbd: 386'5" x 52'2" x 24'. Bulk carrier built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. September 1975 sold to Octamaris Maritime Corp., Greece and renamed Eurometal. 1976 sold to Miralta Cia Nav., S.A. Panama and renamed Lorna. December 1977 saw extremely bad weather in the Black Sea at the time she was in steaming routine. Presumed lost and some time later, exact date unknown, four bodies were washed ashore and wreckage located at Kilyos Turkey. 21 souls lost
LAKE BARRINE (1) 7,215 gross tons, 4,469 net. Lbd: 467'6" x 57'5" x 25'6". (142.5 x 17.5 metres) Single screw, diesel engine. 12 knots. Bulk carrier built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1972 sold to S Londish, Australia. Transferred one month later to Drillships Ltd., Australia who converted her into an offshore drilling supply and serving vessel off the Western Australia coast. 1973 renamed Regional Enterprise. July 1974 sold to Atwoodhill Corp Ltd., Hong Kong. 1976 sold to Atwood Oceanics Inc., Panama. 1981 renamed Lacandon. Owners unknown. Scrapped at Brownsville 1982
LAKE EYRE (1) 7,583 gross tons, 4,203 net. Deadweight 10,280 tons. Lbd: 458'5" x 58'10" x 25'11". Steam powered bulk carrier built by BHP Ltd, Whyalla Shipyard, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1965 she was converted to burn oil as fuel and fitted as 10,368 deadweight tonnage. February 1973 sold to Century Shipping Lines (Hong Kong) Ltd., Singapore and renamed Good Oceaner. October 1973 sold to Solid State Co Ltd., Singapore. Mid 1975 delivered to Whampoa, China for demolition
NILPENA 1,468 gross tons, 763 net. Lbd: 243'4" x 37'1" x 15'1". General cargo vessel built by James Lamont & Co Ltd., Port Glasgow for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. June 1971 sold to Simanggang Sawmill Co Pty Ltd., Singapore and renamed Selamat Singgah. May 1975 sold to Southwind Shipping and Trading Co Pty Ltd., Singapore. Sold in 1981 to Hai Lee Shipping and Trading Co Pty Ltd., Panama and renamed Wihar 11. 1983 renamed Atlantic I, and finally as the Rusli circa 1985. Sunk after flooding just west of Little Andaman Island 22nd June 1985


Ed Ed Ed Ed
NOONGAH
1955-69
RANSDORP
1934-61
RIVER BURDEKIN
1943-63
RIVER BURNETT
1947-73
RIVER BURDEKIN & BURNETT images courtesy State Library Victoria
NOONGAH 1,465 gross tons, 734 net. Lbd: 243'4" x 37'1" x 15'1". General cargo ship built by James Lamont & Co., Port Glasgow for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. August 25th 1969 left Newcastle with a cargo of steel for Townsville She struck bad weather off Smokey Cape near Kempsey on the northern New South Wales coast . The vessel developed a list and sank with the loss of 21 members of the crew . At that time the wind was blowing at 70 knots (110 kph) with the seas at 30 feet. Two survivors escaped by life raft, and three others were found clinging to a plank.The search for survivors was one of the greatest in Australia's history involving five destroyers, three minesweepers, seven aircraft, two helicopters and a number of other vessels
RANSDORP 469 gross tons. 189 net, 491 dwt. Lbd: 164'0" x 27'0' x 11'2". (47.5 x 8.2 metres) Single screw. 7 cylinder 2 strok e cycle single acting oil engine capable of 9 knots. Built by Nederlandsche Dok Maats, Amsterdam, Netherlands as a tanker for G T Ketjen & Co, Netherlands. November 1949 bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board and purchased early 1950's. March 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. May 1958 sold to P N Dent & L Graham of Fiji and renamed Verao. 1960 sold to Southern Cross Shipping Co Ltd., Fiji. 18th March 1961 foundered in heavy seas 230 nautical miles east of Brisbane en route from Bundaberg to Auckland with cargo of molasses
RIVER BURDEKIN 5,108 gross tons, 2,804 net. Lbd" 449'2" x 56'8" x 25'6". (136.85x17.3 m.) Steam powered cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. October 1947 Australian Shipping Board took over management. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Indonesia government renamed Djajadwitja. Several Indonesian owners since until scrapped Kaoshiung 1971
RIVER BURNETT 5,033 gross tons. 2,888 net. Lbd: 449'1" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the the Australian Government. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. February 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. April 1965 - sold to Australine Shipping Co. Inc., Liberia renamed Ionic Coast. 1967 sold to Devon Steamship Corp, Liberia renamed Ilissos. April 1968 detained at Saigon until sold 1973 to D L Wirth Corporation North Hollywood, September 1973 left Saigon in tow for Kaohsiung for demolition


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER CLARENCE
1943-68
RIVER DERWENT
1944-62
RIVER FITZROY
1944-63
RIVER GLENELG
1944-63
RIVER CLARENCE image courtesy State Library Queensland
RIVER DERWENT, FITZROY & GLENELG images courtesy Matterson Marine
RIVER CLARENCE 5,995 gross tons. 3,451 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'6". Built Cockatoo Island Docks & Engineering Co., Sydney for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. February 1957 transferred to he Australian National Line. 1960 sold to World-Wide S S Co Ltd renamed Golden Alpha. Many ownership changes since until scrapped Japan 1968
RIVER DERWENT 5,020 gross tons. 2,897 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'8". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. January 1957 transferred to he Australian National Line. April 1959 - sold to Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia (Scott Fell & Co) and renamed Echunga. Sold 1961 to Heilgers (Eastern) Hong Kong renamed North Point. 1962 driven aground East Brothers Island Hong Kong during Typhoon 'Wanda." Refloated, declared a total loss and scrapping commenced later that year at Hong Kong
RIVER FITZROY 5,001 gross tons. 2,780 net. Lbd 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (136.85x17.3 m) Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board and transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. Sold through Mitsubishi Shoji kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K K in March 1963 for demolition
RIVER GLENELG 4,982 gross tons. 2,689 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (137x17.3 m) Built by BHP Whyalla shipyard, South Australia for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd as managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. Sold October 1960 to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd., Hong Kong, and was renamed Bai Feng. Then sold through Manners Navigation Co. Ltd. in January 1963 to Kawasaki Dockyard Co. Ltd for demolition at Tsuneishi


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER HUNTER
1945-60
RIVER LODDON
1944-63
RIVER MITTA
1945-59
RIVER MURCHISON
1945-63
RIVER HUNTER, LODDON & MURCHISON images courtesy Matterson Marine
RIVER MITTA image courtesy State Library Queensland
RIVER HUNTER 4,942 gross tons. 2,843 net. Lbd 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (131.36 x 17 metres.) Built Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Co Pty Ltd., Sydney for the Australian Government with Burns Philip & Co. Ltd appointed Managers. Transferred to ASB Oct 1947. Feb 1957 transferred to Australia National Line. July 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd Australia & registered at Hong Kong.Transferred to Hang Fung Shipping Hong Kong. September 1959 transferred to Wallem & Co Ltd., Hong Kong renamed Sze Feng. Scrapped 1960 at Hong Kong
RIVER LODDON 5,001 gross tons. 2,780 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Commonwealth Naval Dockyard Williamstown Victoria for the Australian Government with McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd., appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to ASB and transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. In 1957 during the Suez Crisis was chartered by the Bank Line - subcontinent and Africa trade. Sold through Mitsubishi Shoji kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K K in March 1963 for demolition at Osaka
RIVER MITTA 5,010 gross tons. 2,843 net. Lbd 449'1" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Commonwealth Naval Dockyard Williamstown, Victoria for the Australian Government with Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., appointed managers. Oct 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. 1952 refrigerated cargo machinery removed. Transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. July 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd., Australia with registry taken in Hong Kong. July 1959 transferred to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong. 1959 demolition at Osaka began
RIVER MURCHISON 5,062 gross tons. 2,623 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (136.85 x 17 metres) Built by BHP Ltd., shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Govt with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers until October 1947 when management was transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. In February 1957 the Australian National Line under took management. In February1963 sold through Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K K for demolition. Left Sydney in tow of tug Nissho Maru (with River Fitzroy) for Japan. In May 1963 demolition began at Yokosuku


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER MURRAY
1945-59
RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE
1945-63
RIVER NORMAN
1946-62
TALINGA
1955-72
RIVER MURRAY image source unknown
RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE & NORMAN images courtesy Matterson Marine
TALINGA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
RIVER MURRAY 5,032 gross tons. 2,901 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built by BHP Ltd., shipyard, Whyalla for the the Australian Government with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers. Oct 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to ANL. August 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd., Australia with registry taken in Hong Kong. July 1959 transferred to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong. December 1959 demolition at Osaka began
RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE 5,030 gross tons. 2,900 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built in BHP Whyalla for the the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co., as managers. Oct 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1963 sold through Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K.K. for demolition. Shortly afterwards the vessel left Sydney, with the River Loddon in tow of tug Nissho Maru. Demolition commenced at Osaka in March 1963
RIVER NORMAN 6,458 gross tons. 3,782 net. Lbd 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co. Pty Ltd appointed managers. Oct 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. Transferred February 1957 to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Wallem & Co Hong Kong renamed Tung Feng. September 1962 she was driven ashore on Green Island Hong Kong by Typhoon `Wanda`. The vessel was refloated in October 1962 but declared a total loss and scrapped that year
TALINGA 7,582 gross tons, 3,972 net. Lbd: 458' x 58'7" x 26'1". Bulk carrier built by Blyth Docks and Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Blyth for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. July 1970 sold to Elios Compania Navigation S.A. Panama and renamed Gallantry. Cyclone 'Rose' drove her aground 17th August 1971. Refloated however damage too great for repair economically and she was consequentially scrapped mid 1972


Ed Ed Ed Ed
TIMBARRA
1954-73
TYALLA
1944-62
WANGARA
1953-83
WINDARRA
1953-80
TIMBARRA & WANGARA images courtesy Matterson Marine
TYALLA image courtesy State Library Victoria
WINDARRA image as Warringa - personal collection
TIMBARRA 7,530 gross tons, 3,941 net. Lbd: 458' x 58'7" x 26'1". Bulk carrier built by Blyth Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Blyth for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1969 sold to Montauk Maritime Ltd., Cyprus and renamed Montauk. 1973 scrapped in Split, Yugoslavia
TYALLA 7,437 gross tons. 5,372 net. Lbd: 447'10" x 56'4" x 26'9". Built by Short Bros., Sunderland England for Ministry of War Transport UK. Transferred to Royal Navy being launched as HMS Dullisk Cove. Refitted Middlesborough Dock late 1944 and laid up until 1947 when sold to Haddon Steamship Co Ltd and renamed Kefalonia. 1951 sold to the Australian Shipping Board with registry still in UK. July 1951 renamed Tyalla. October 1954 registry (finally) transferred to Australia. March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. May 1957 sold to Cambray Prince Steamship Co Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Wear Breeze. Demolished Japan 1962
WANGARA 2,459 gross tons, 1,274 net. Lbd: 288'5" x 46'2" x 18'8". (87.8 x 14.1 metres) General cargo motor vessel, twin screw built by New South Wales Government Dockyard, Newcastle (State Dockyard) for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). Diesel engine. 10 knots. Her allocated name was Dungong and renamed prior construction to Wangara. March 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. March 1965 bareboat chartered to the Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service. Lessee's name changed November 1965 to Western Australian Coastal Shipping Commission, and vessel sold to that party October 1966. November 1966 renamed Dongara and between August until October 1967 she was lengthened to 318'5" (97.1 metres) by Taiko Dockyard, Hong Kong. Her tonnage increased to 3,411 gross. May 1972 sold to Asiatic Intermodal Seabridge SA, Panama and renamed Endurance. made into a dumb barge 1983
WINDARRA 2,355 gross tons, 1,184 net. Lbd: 288'4" x 46'2" x 18'8". General cargo motor vessel, twin screw built by New South Wales Government Dockyard, Newcastle (State Dockyard). Her allocated name was Derriwong, however name changed prior to any work commencement to Warringa. Upon completion she was renamed Windarra, as another vessel soon to be in operation for Huddart Parker Ltd, Melbourne, carried that name. April 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. 1959 refrigeration capable cargo holds innovated. October 1970 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S A, Liberia and renamed Collin Two. 1976 sold to Success Shipping & Trade Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Whitehall. 1980 sold to Kaohsiung shipbreakers


Ed Ed
YANDERRA
1954-76
YARRUNGA
1955-75
YANDERRA 3,446 gross tons, 1,843 net. Lbd: 329'11" x 48' x 21'4". Bulk carrier built by BHP Whyalla shipyards, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. November 1970 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S.A. Panama and renamed Collin Three. February 1976 sold to National Iron and Steel Co Ltd., Singapore with scrapping in mind, however resold mid 1976 to Hifirm Co Ltd and scrapped Kaohsiung later that year
YARRUNGA 3,473 gross tons, 1,844 net. Lbd: 329'10" x 48'6" x 21'4". built by BHP Whyalla shipyards, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. Bareboat chartered on two separte occasions, June 1967 until May 1968 and from October 1970 until July 1971 to the Western Australian State Shipping Commission. December 1971 sold to Corona Navigation Co S.A. Panama and renamed Unicorn. 1974 sold to Regan Shipping Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Good Hope. 4th May 1975 as a result of fire aboard with cargo of timber, she sank in the Persian Gulf


PAGE 2
1957-72
PAGE 3
1972-98

TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved