FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 



A to Z
quick jump
Balarr
Balook
Baralga
Baroota
Barrigun
Bellerby
Bilkurra
Binburra
Boonaroo
Borda
Bulwarra
Carcoola
Cedarpool
Clearpool
Coolabah
Corrimal
Dalby
Dandenong
Daylesford
Delamere
Delungra
Denman
Dongara
Dorrigo
Dubbo
Dulverton
Edenhope
Elmore
Enfield
Eugowra
Euroa
Fawkner Park
Firby
Gullpool
Heronspool
Inyula
Lake Barrine
Lake Eyre
Levenpool
Nilpena
Noongah
Nyora
Oakby
Pikepool
Ransdorp
Reynella
River Burdekin
River Burnett
River Clarence
River Derwent
River Fitzroy
River Glenelg
River Hunter
River Loddon
River Mitta
river-murchison
River Murray
river-murrumbidgee
River Norman
Stagpool
Swainby
Swanbrook
Talinga
Taronga Park
Timbarra
Tyalla
Van Spilbergen
Wangara
Windarra
Woomera
Yanderra
Yarrunga
Yearby

Fleet Lists

Main Directory
Vessels A - Z


Links

Contact Us

Home Page

Flotilla Australia
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING BOARD

1941 - 1956
This organisation was formed, as the Board, in March 1941. Concerned initially with control of overseas ships chartered for the Australian coastal trade and all ships built by Australian shipyards, its first "A" Class (later becoming popularly known as the "River" Class) ship was commissioned in mid-1943.
By the end of the Second World War, eight "River" Class ships were in service, these new ships being allocated to private shipping companies for management.
There were thirteen RIVER class ships built in total and, further post war construction saw massive local shipbuilding of many and varied ships for Australia's coastal needs
With war-prize and requisitioned and lend-lease vessels' in their control at war's end, 1946 saw blueprints for 10 vessels in each class of B C D and E, all with variable tonnages and design requirements. Changes since saw 11 'B' class, no 'C' class constructed at all, 10 'D' class and 5 'E' class.
From 1941, with the World War hostilities creating huge shortage of necessary tonnage, the creation of this entity and it's direction showed great insight from the Government of the day. 1946 saw wise construction and distribution of vessels catering for most requirements of Australian ports, minor and major
Placing many vessels under management of existing Shipping Lines created trust rather than competition as was seen in the past when Prime Minister W M Hughes created the Australian Government Line of Steamers (ACL)
Further charters saw many Ropner Shipping Line vessels employed, more so upon the carriage of coal and ore for BHP related trades in balancing the fleet coast wise with adequate numbers of vessels sevicing all areas as deemed essential to a country rebuilding
A change at Federal level saw further wisdom in the continuance of this shipping entity (perhaps with memory of the demise of the ACL and the then Prime Minister S M Bruce so responsible) in evolution that became
The AUSTRALIAN COASTAL SHIPPING COMMISSION (ACSC)
was established by an Act of Parliament on 1 October 1956, to take over and manage vessels previously under the control of the AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING BOARD
On 1 January 1957, the Australian Shipping Board commenced the transfer of ownership of all existing vessels and the fleet began operating under the title of
the AUSTRALIA NATIONAL LINE




Ed Ed Ed
FUNNEL Maritime Flag Post War FUNNEL


'A' class vessels
known as 'River' class

Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER BURDEKIN
1943-71
RIVER BURNETT
1947-73
RIVER CLARENCE
1943-68
RIVER DERWENT
1944-62
RIVER BURDEKIN & BURNETT images courtesy State Library Victoria, RIVER CLARENCE image courtesy State Library Queensland, RIVER DERWENT image courtesy Matterson Marine
RIVER BURDEKIN 5,108 gross tons, 2,804 net. Lbd" 449'2" x 56'8" x 25'6". (136.85x17.3 m.) Steam powered cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. October 1947 Australian Shipping Board took over management. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Indonesia government renamed Djajadwitja. Several Indonesian owners since until scrapped Kaoshiung 1971
RIVER BURNETT 5,033 gross tons. 2,888 net. Lbd: 449'1" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the the Australian Government. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. Feb 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. April 1965 - sold to Australine Shipping Co. Inc., Liberia renamed Ionic Coast. 1967 sold to Devon Steamship Corp., Liberia renamed Ilissos. April 1968 detained at Saigon until sold 1973 to D L Wirth Corporation North Hollywood, September 1973 left Saigon in tow for Kaohsiung for demolition
RIVER CLARENCE 5,995 gross tons. 3,451 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'6". Built Cockatoo Island Docks & Engineering Co., Sydney for the Australian Government with Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., appointed as managers. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1960 sold to World-Wide S S Co Ltd renamed Golden Alpha. Many ownership changes since until scrapped Japan 1968
RIVER DERWENT 5,020 gross tons. 2,897 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'8". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. January 1957 transferred to he Australian National Line. April 1959 - sold to Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia (Scott Fell & Co) and renamed Echunga. Sold 1961 to Heilgers (Eastern) Hong Kong renamed North Point. 1962 driven aground East Brothers Island Hong Kong during Typhoon 'Wanda." Refloated, declared a total loss and scrapping at Hong Kong commenced later that year


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER FITZROY
1944-63
RIVER GLENELG
1944-63
RIVER HUNTER
1945-60
RIVER LODDON
1944-63
RIVER FITZROY, GLENELG, HUNTER & LODDON images courtesy Matterson Marine
RIVER FITZROY 5,001 gross tons. 2,780 net. Lbd 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (136.85x17.3 m) Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board and transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. Sold through Mitsubishi Shoji kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K.K. in March 1963 for demolition
RIVER GLENELG 4,982 gross tons. 2,689 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (137x17.3 m) Built by BHP shipyard Whyalla, South Australia for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd as managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. Sold Oct 1960 to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd., Hong Kong, and was renamed Bai Feng. Then sold through Manners Navigation Co. Ltd. in January 1963 to Kawasaki Dockyard Co. Ltd for demolition at Tsuneishi
RIVER HUNTER 4,942 gross tons. 2,843 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (131.36 x 17 metres.) Built Cockatoo Docks & Engineering Co Pty Ltd., Sydney for the Australian Government with Burns Philip & Co. Ltd appointed Managers. Transferred to the Australian Shipping Board October 1947. February 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. July 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd Australia & registered at Hong Kong.Transferred to Hang Fung Shipping Hong Kong. September 1959 transferred to Wallem & Co Ltd., Hong Kong renamed Sze Feng. Scrapped 1960 at Hong Kong
RIVER LODDON 5,001 gross tons. 2,780 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Commonwealth Naval Dockyard Williamstown Victoria for the Australian Government with McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd., appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board and transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. In 1957 during the Suez Crisis was chartered by the Bank Line - subcontinent and Africa trade. Sold through Mitsubishi Shoji kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K.K. in March 1963 for demolition at Osaka


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
RIVER MITTA
1945-59
RIVER MURCHISON
1945-63
RIVER MURRAY
1945-59
RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE
1945-63
RIVER NORMAN
1946-62
RIVER MITTA image (178742r) courtesy State Library Queensland, RIVER MURCHISON, MURRUMBIDGEE & NORMAN images courtesy Matterson Marine
RIVER MITTA 5,010 gross tons. 2,843 net. Lbd 449'1" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Commonwealth Naval Dockyard Williamstown, Victoria for the Australian Government with Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. 1952 refrigerated cargo machinery removed. Transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. July 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd., Australia with registry taken in Hong Kong. July 1959 transferred to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong. 1959 demolition at Osaka began
RIVER MURCHISON 5,062 gross tons. 2,623 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (136.85 x 17 metres) Built by BHP Ltd., shipyard, Whyalla for the the Australian Government with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers until October 1947 when management was transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. In February 1957 the Australian National Line under took management. In February1963 sold through Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K.K. for demolition. Left Sydney in tow of tug Nissho Maru (with River Fitzroy) for Japan. In May 1963 demolition began at Yokosuku
RIVER MURRAY 5,032 gross tons. 2,901 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built by BHP Ltd., shipyard, Whyalla for the the Australian Government with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers. October 1947 transferred to ASB. March 1957 transferred to the Australia National Line. August 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd., Australia with registry taken in Hong Kong. July 1959 transferred to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong. December 1959 demolition at Osaka began
RIVER MURRUMBIDGEE 5,030 gross tons. 2,900 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built by BHP Ltd., shipyard, Whyalla for the the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co., as managers. October 1947 transferred to ASB. March 1957 transferred to th Australian National Line until January 1963 when it was sold through Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K.K. for demolition. Shortly afterwards the vessel left Sydney, with the River Loddon in tow of tug Nissho Maru. Demolition commenced at Osaka in March 1963
RIVER NORMAN 6,458 gross tons. 3,782 net. Lbd 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co. Pty Ltd appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to ASB and transferred February 1957 to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Wallem & Co Hong Kong renamed Tung Feng. September 1962 she was driven ashore on Green Island Hong Kong by Typhoon `Wanda`. The vessel was refloated in October 1962 but declared a total loss and scrapped that year


'B' class vessels
In 1945 ten 'B' class vessels were ordered, changes and variations saw eleven constructed. As general cargo vessels, six were coal-fired and two oil-fired as steamships, later three motorships added


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BARRIGUN
1947-74
BALARR
1948-76
BILKURRA
1949-74
BALOOK
1950-75
BARRIGUN (as Koorawatha), BALARR & BALOOK images - personal collection
BILKURRA image courtesy State Library Victoria
BARRIGUN 4,054 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'3" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo design steamship, coal fired, built by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia. December 1948 sold to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd., Australia and renamed Koorawatha. January 1964 transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia. September 1964 sold to San Fernando Steamship Co S.A. Panama, converted to burn oil as fuel and renamed Visaya Regidor. November 1966 sold to Cia de Nav Buena S.A. Panama. 1968 renamed Holly Trader. Sold 1973 to Union Seafort Nav Co S.A. Panama and renamed Union Industry. Early 1974 scrapped at Kaohsiung
BALARR 4,053 gross tons, 2,054 net. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo steamship, coal fired, built by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia. Sold upon completion to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith Ltd) Australia. June 1964 owner name change to Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. 1966 converted to burn oil as fuel and side port vehicle doors fitted. March 1970 sold to Cia Nav Pearl S.A. Panama renamed Suying. 1973 Teh-Hu Cargo-ocean Management took over administration of vessel. 1974 sold to Pontos Freighters Ltd Panama and renamed Pontos Princess. March 1976 scrapped Gadani Beach, Pakistan
BILKURRA 3,952 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1964 - 1967 bulk cargo tanks installed and side doors fitted. October 1969 Sold to Malaysian International Shipping Corp., and renamed Malaysia Maju. 1971 Sold to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Panama renamed Santa Carina. 1974 scrapped Hsinkang, China. Records do not show any conversion from steam to oil
BALOOK 4,053 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo design steamship, coal fired, built at the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia. July 1950 sold to Australasian United Steam Navigation Co (AUSN) and in November of that year renamed Caloundra. March 1961 Sold to Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd (BHP) and renamed Iron Warrior. Also converted from coal to oil as fuel. February 1975 sold to Hi-Firm Corp., Hong Kong and left Newcastle under tow in May for sale to shipbreakers at Kaohsiung where demolition began July 1975


Ed Ed Ed
BINBURRA
1950-74
BORDA
1951-74
BAROOTA
1952-70
BINBURRA, BORDA & BAROOTA images courtesy State Library Victoria
BINBURRA 3,952 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. April 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1964 and 1966 bulk cargo tanks installed and side doors fitted. October 1969 Sold to Malaysian Internaltional Shipping Corp., and renamed Malaysia Pertama. 1971 Sold to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Panama renamed Santa Rosa. 1974 scrapped Kaohsiung. Records do not show any conversion from steam to oil
BORDA 4,033 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. No "D" name allocated and purchased on the stocks by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., September 1950 and named Borda prior to launching. Completed June 1951. Sold March 1961 to South Breeze Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Brisbane Breeze. May 1961 converted to burn oil as fuel. April 1964 transferred to Panama registry, under Cia De Nav Palomar S.A. and renamed Jose Regidor. July 1966 transferred to Manners Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and sold the next month, August to Shui Cheung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd., Hong Kong who renamed her Lyemen. Sold again in 1967 and 1970, June being renamed Luk Chau for the Hong Kong Pacific Shipping Co Ltd., Liberia. 1974 sold for demolition at Taiwan
BAROOTA 4,070 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". General cargo design steamship built by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia. Her original name was to be BENARSON however she was sold on the stocks during early construction in 1950 to the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., and launched as the Baroota during May 1951. Completed February 1952 with Australian Government as registered owner, and re-registered soon after in Adelaide Steamship Company's name. Apart from an internal company transferral to their Operations division in March 1961, she was sold May 1961 to South Breeze Navigation Co Ltd., Hong Kong and renamed Adelaide Breeze. August 1961 converted to burn oil as fuel. 1964 transferred to Panama registry, under Cia De Nav Palomar S.A. and renamed Anontio Regidor. September 1966 sold to Jeep Fatt Shipping Co Ltd S.A. Panama renamed Jeep Lee. Scrapped Hong Kong early 1970


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WOOMERA
1952-74
BOONAROO
1953-85
BULWARRA
1954-71
BARALGA
1956-80
WOOMERA image personal collection
BOONAROO image courtesy Matterson Marine
WOOMERA 4,033 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built by New South Wales Government 's State Dockyard, Newcastle NSW on order from Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane. No "D" name allocated and purchased on the stocks November 1950 before her launching by Huddart Parker Ltd., who named her Woomera. Completed July 1952. November 1961 sold to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, Australia. Transferred January 1964 to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia. From January 1966 until January 1967 underwent vast reconstruction to become a unit load container carrier as well as conversion to oil fuel capability by their own engineering division based in Sydney. Gross tonnage increased to 5,614. June 1973 sold to Shin Shin Navigation Co., S.A. Panama and renamed Blue Jade. These owners later renamed themselves as the Blue Diamond Navigation Co., S.A. Panama. 1974 sold for demolition at Kaohsiung
BOONAROO 3,904 gross tons, 6453 dwt. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'2" x 22'7". (123.6 x 16.2 metres) General cargo vessel built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd., Sydney for the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to ANL. Single screw, diesel negine. 12 knots. 1966-7 Side port door installed. March 1967 commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a supply ship, being renamed HMAS Boonaroo. May 1957 returned to ANL. January 1971 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S. A. Hong Kong and renamed Collin Four. 1972 transferred to their No. 2 subsidiary registered Liberia. February 1976 sold to Singapore interests (Uni-Ocean Lines Pty Ltd) and renamed Reunion. November 1977 sold to United Orient Lines Ltd., Singapore. Scrapped at Chittagong November 1985
BULWARRA 3,912 gross tons. Lbd: 405'1" x 53'1" x 22'7". General cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to ANL. 1962 refrigerated cargo capacity installed. January 1971 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S. A. Hong Kong and renamed Collin Five. 22nd October 1971 an engine breakdown in heavy seas caused her to run aground 9 miles off Keelung. She broke into three sections and declared a total loss
BARALGA 3,895 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" x 53'3" x 22'7". General cargo vessel built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd., Sydney. February 1957 transferred to ANL. 1964 cargo refrigeration capability installed. March 1972 sold to Nilmore Ltd., of the Somali Republic and renamed Hang Chow. March 1977 renamed Taiping. 1979 sold to Sea Horse Shipping Co Ltd., Honduras and renamed Sea Horse. 1980 renamed Ever Luck however was scrapped at Kaohsiung later same year


'D' class vessels
In 1945 ten 'D' class vessels were ordered and constructed. All ten had limited refrigerated cargo space, six were coal-fired and three oil-fired as steamships, whilst the last built Dongarra fitted as a motorship


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
DELAMERE
1946-73
DORRIGO
1946-76
DANDENONG
1946-71
DAYLESFORD
1946-72
DUBBO
1947-69
DELAMERE, DANDENONG & DAYLESFORD images courtesy State Library Victoria, DORRIGO image personal collection, DUBBO image courtesy Matterson Marine
DELAMERE 2,354 gross tons. 1,115 net. Lbd 291'4" x 46'4" x 19'0". Built by BHP Shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Government with John Burke & Co as appointed managers. Transferred Oct 1947 to the ASB. March 1957 sold to Western Australian Government's 'State Shipping Service' and given extensive refit over 11 month period. Tonnage gross increased to 2,385. 1971 sold to Century Shipping Lines S.A. Panama renamed Century Ruby. 1972 sold to Kwong Wah Nav co Panama renamed Poly. 1973 sold for demolition
DORRIGO 2,321 gross tons, 1,161 net. Lbd: 291'2" x 46'1" x 19'0". (88.74 x 14.04 metres) Built by State Dockyard Newcastle NSW for the Australian Government with Western Australia's 'State Shipping Service' as managers. October 1947 transferred to ASB. 15th August 1954 sold to Western Australian Government's 'State Shipping Service'. 1957 deck additions made. 1965 extensive modifications made with tonnage increased to 2,898 gross. 1971 sold to Century Shipping Lines S.A. Panama renamed Adelante. 1970 renamed Evergin. 1976 scrapped Kaohsiung
DANDENONG 2,350 gross tons. 1,123 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by BHP Whyalla for the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the ASB. 1956 converted to burn oil. 1957 transferred to the ANL. 1960 sold to Jones Bros Coal Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Koorine. 1964 sold to Leechco Steamship Co S.A. Panama and renamed Lady of Victoria. 1969 sold to Hong Kong Ocean Shipping Co Ltd of Somali Republic and renamed Sha Chau. 1971 scrapped Kaohsiung
DAYLESFORD 2,351 gross tons. 1,124 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship refrigerated as built at the BHP Shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the ASB. Early 1955 converted to burn oil. 1957 transferred to the ANL. 1960 sold to Fung Shing Nav Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Asia Star. 1969 renamed Asia Life. Late 1969 (Johnson Co Asia) renamed Lady Grace. 1971 sold to China interests for demolition and scrapped Kaohsiung January 1972
DUBBO 2,351 gross tons. 1,124 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle NSW for the Australian Government with Howard Smith Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred Oct 1947 to the ASB. 1956 converted to burn oil. March 1957 transferred to the ANL. May 1965 sold to Australia Pacific Co (Hong Kong) Ltd., Panama renamed Pacific Lady. Early 1969 sold to Litonjua Shipping Co Inc., Phillipines renamed Lord KL. Later 1969 sold to Lueng Yau, Shipbreakers at Hong Kong and scrapped



Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
DALBY
1947-71
DELUNGRA
1947-82
DULVERTON
1948-75
DENMAN
1949-70
DONGARA
1950-74
DALBY image courtesy Matterson Marine, DELUNGRA, DULVERTON & DENMAN images courtesy State Library Victoria, DONGARA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
DALBY 2,349 gross tons. 1,111 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by Evans Deakin & Co., Brisbane for the Australian Government with Melbourne Steamship Co Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred Oct 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. 1956 through til 1957 underwent reconstruction at Mort's Dock & Engineering Co Ltd Sydney, including being fitted with oil burning engine as well as extra cargo hold forward and a re-positioned funnel. January 1958 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1969 sold to Cronulla Cia Nav S.A. Panama and renamed Hualien. 14th November 1971 grounded off Peng Chia Hsu Island near Keelung China mainland during a Typhoon and abandoned as a total loss
DELUNGRA 2,333 gross tons. 1,161 net. Lbd: 291"5" X 46'1" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle NSW for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). November 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line (ANL). April 1960 sold to B Stuart (H & S Credits Pty Ltd) Australia. May 1960 saw her towed to Hong Kong where she was sold in August to Lucas Navigation, S.A. Panama. 1961 sold again to Cia Nav., Pearl S.A., Panama and renamed Ping An. 1965 sold to Ta Peng Steamship Co Ltd., Taiwan being renamed Tayu. 1966 renamed Poti No 2 when sold to Poti Thai Navigation Co Ltd., Thailand. Again during 1966 sold to Tung Lee Navigation Co (hong Kong) Ltd., Panama renamed An Tung. 1968 sold to The Jin Tong Co Ltd., South Korea and renamed Boklae. 1982 reported as scrapped
DULVERTON 2,280 gross tons. 1,123 net. Lbd: 294'4" x 46'4" x 19'. General cargo vessel built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). July 1954 sold to Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service. November 1965 owner name change to Western Australian State Shipping Commission. Early 1966 refitted carried out at Fremantle, with tonnage increase to 2,845 gross. September 1971 sold to Wan Lung Navigation Co Ltd S.A., Panama and renamed Wang Chung. 1973 sold to Goodwill Navigation Co Ltd S.A., Panama and renamed Goodwill. 1975 sold to Union Pacific Navigation Co Ltd S.A., Panama and renamed Liengkiu. A further sale occurred to Summit Shipping Line, Panama, exact date unknown. 27th May 1975 abandoned in the Straits of Malacca in a leaking condition. Presumed sunk
DENMAN 2,265 gross tons. 1,100 net. Lbd: 291"5" X 46'1" X 18'10". General cargo steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle NSW for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line (ANL). Bareboat chartered to Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service on two occasions, from december 1960 - November 1961 and August 1964 until early 1965. Sold to Eddie Steamships (Philippines) Inc., registered Philippines and renamed Aurelio KL. 1970 sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers and scrapped that year
DONGARA 2,693 gross tons. 1,359 net. Lbd: 289"10" X 46'1" X 18'1". Ordered as a modified 'D' class cargo/passenger steamship built by State Dockyard Newcastle NSW. Sold prior to launching to the Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service and renamed Kabbarli. November 1951 completed as designed with passenger accomodation for 37. Early 1962 Shelter deck moved forward in slight modifications carried out at Fremantle. November 1965 owner name change to Western Australian State Shipping Commission. October 1971 sold to Asiatic Internodal Seabridge S.A., Panama. Hit by rocket fire in Mekong River 21st July 1974 but made destination safely same day. 3rd August 1974 heeled over and sank as result of overload of fire-fighting water poured on to extinguish a spread of flames within. Cause of fire unknown, although some records indicate the rocket fire of 12 days prior to her sinking was the catalyst. 12 days of fire seems improbable


'E' class vessels
In 1945 ten 'E' class vessels were ordered, changes and variations saw only five constructed

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
EUGOWRA
1948-74
ENFIELD
1948-95+
EDENHOPE
1949-79
ELMORE
1949-90
EUROA
1950-80+
EUGOWRA, EDENHOPE & EUROA images courtesy State Library Victoria, ELMORE image courtesy State Library Queensland, ENFIELD image courtesy Matterson Marine
EUGOWRA 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian Naltional Line. June 1969 sold to Pacific Islands Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed Kieta. July 1974 scrapped in the Philippines
ENFIELD 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1965 sold to Legaspi Oil Co Inc., Philippines and renamed Helen J. February 1967 sold to Rodriguez Shipping Corp., Philippines and renamed Sultana. 1991 renamed Moses. 1995 sold to Edago Lighterage renamed Edago 3. No further details
EDENHOPE 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 31'1" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. From June 1951 until June 1953 bareboat chartered to the Newcastle and Hunter River Steamship Co Ltd. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1965 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed in 1966 Nukutoa. 1969 sold to Kinley Navigation Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1972 sold to Madrigal Shipping Co Inc., Panama. Stranded off Iligan City, Philippines 5th december 1978 and refloated January 1979. Written off to underwriters owing to extensive damage and scrapped Cebu City October 1979
ELMORE 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough Queensland for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1965 sold to John Burke Ltd., Australia and renamed Waiben. April 1966 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed Nukumamu. 1970 sold to Bougainville Trading Co (1970) Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1973 sold to Morehead Shipping Pty Ltd, Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Sulpicio Lines Inc, Philippines and renamed Dona Lily. Deleted from register 1990 (probably broken up at the Philippines by 1987 - source: Miramar Ship Index, with many thanks)
EUROA 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. March 1965 sold to Keith Hollands Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Maluka. January 1974 sold to Nuigini Pacific Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Seafreight Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1976 sold to Bishop Shipping Services Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. Reported stranded off Ragrave reef New Guinea, June 1977. Refloated, towed to Lae, left at anchorage up until december 1980 where plans for demolition were in place. Unknown if or when she was scrapped


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WINDARRA
1953-80
WANGARA
1953-79
INYULA
1954-77
TIMBARRA
1954-73
WINDARRA image as Warringa personal collection, WANGARA, INYULA & TIMBARRA images courtesy Matterson Marine
WINDARRA 2,355 gross tons, 1,184 net. Lbd: 288'4" x 46'2" x 18'8". General cargo motor vessel, twin screw built by New South Wales Government Dockyard, Newcastle (State Dockyard). Her allocated name was Derriwong, however name changed prior to any work commencement to Warringa. Upon completion she was renamed Windarra, possibly as another vessel in operation carried that name. April 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. 1959 refrigeration capable cargo holds innovated. October 1970 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S.A., Liberia and renamed Collin Two. 1976 sold to Success Shipping & Trade Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Whitehall. 1980 sold to Kaohsiung shipbreakers
WANGARA 2,459 gross tons, 1,274 net. Lbd: 288'5" x 46'2" x 18'8". General cargo motor vessel, twin screw built by New South Wales Government Dockyard, Newcastle (State Dockyard) for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). Her allocated name was Dungong and renamed prior construction to Wangara. March 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. March 1965 bareboat chartered to the Western Australian Government's State Shipping Service. Lessee's name changed November 1965 to Western Australian Coastal Shipping Commission, and vessel sold to that party October 1966. November 1966 renamed Dongara and between August until October 1967 she was lengthened to 318'5" by Taiko Dockyard, Hong Kong. Her tonnage increased to 3,411 gross. May 1972 sold to Asiatic Intermodal Seabridge S.A., Panama and renamed Endurance. 1979 made into a dumb barge in the Philippines
INYULA 4,887 gross tons, 2,882 net. Lbd: 386'5" x 52'2" x 24'. Bulk carrier built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board (ASB). February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. September 1975 sold to Octamaris Maritime Corp., Greece and renamed Eurometal. 1976 sold to Miralta Cia Nav., S.A. Panama and renamed Lorna. December 1977 saw extremely bad weather in the Black Sea at the time she was in steaming routine. Presumed lost and some time later, exact date unknown, four bodies were washed ashore and wreckage located at Kilyos Turkey. 21 souls lost
TIMBARRA 7,530 gross tonss, 3,941 net. Lbd: 458' x 58'7" x 26'1". Bulk carrier built by Blyth Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Blyth for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1969 sold to Montauk Maritime Ltd., Cyprus and renamed Montauk. 1973 scrapped in Split, Yugoslavia


Ed Ed Ed Ed
YANDERRA
1954-76
NILPENA
1954-85
NOONGAH
1955-69
YARRUNGA
1955-75
YANDERRA & YARRUNGA images courtesy Matterson Marine
YANDERRA 3,446 gross tons, 1,843 net. Lbd: 329'11" x 48' x 21'4". Bulk carrier built by BHP Whyalla shipyard, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. November 1970 sold to Collin Navigation Co., S.A. Panama and renamed Collin Three. February 1976 sold to National Iron and Steel Co Ltd., Singapore with scrapping in mind, however resold mid 1976 to Hi Firm Co Ltd and scrapped Kaohsiung later that year
NILPENA 1,468 gross tons, 763 net. Lbd: 243'4" x 37'1" x 15'1". (74.2 x 11.3 metres) General cargo vessel built by James Lamont & Co Ltd., Port Glasgow for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. June 1971 sold to Simanggang Sawmill Co Pty Ltd., Singapore and renamed Selamat Singgah. May 1975 sold to Southwind Shipping and Trading Co Pty Ltd., Singapore. Sold in 1981 to Hai Lee Shipping and Trading Co Pty Ltd., Panama and renamed Wihar 11. 1983 renamed Atlantic I, and finally as the Rusli 1985. En-route Kakinada-Singapore flooded just west of Little Andaman Island (10.25N/91.15E) 22nd June 1985 and sank 11.32.30N/92.10.6E
NOONGAH 1,465 gross tons, 734 net. Lbd: 243'4" x 37'1" x 15'1". General cargo ship built by James Lamont & Co., Port Glasgow for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. August 25th 1969 left Newcastle with a cargo of steel for Townsville She struck bad weather off Smokey Cape near Kempsey on the northern New South Wales coast . The vessel developed a list and sank with the loss of 21 members of the crew . At that time the wind was blowing at 70 knots (110 kph) with the seas at 30 feet. Two survivors escaped by life raft, and three others were found clinging to a plank.The search for survivors was one of the greatest in Australia's history involving five destroyers, three minesweepers, seven aircraft, two helicopters and a number of other vessels
YARRUNGA 3,473 gross tons, 1,844 net. Lbd: 329'10" x 48'6" x 21'4". built by BHP Whyalla shipyards, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. Bareboat chartered on two separate occasions, June 1967 until May 1968 and from October 1970 until July 1971 to the Western Australian State Shipping Commission. December 1971 sold to Corona Navigation Co S.A. Panama and renamed Unicorn. 1974 sold to Regan Shipping Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Good Hope. 4th May 1975 as a result of fire aboard with cargo of timber, she sank in the Persian Gulf


Ed Ed Ed
TALINGA
1955-72
LAKE EYRE (1)
1956-75
LAKE BARRINE (1)
1956-82
TALINGA image courtesy State Library New South Wales, LAKE EYRE (1) & LAKE BARRINE (1) images courtesy Matterson Marine
TALINGA 7,582 gross tons, 3,972 net. Lbd: 458' x 58'7" x 26'1". Coal fired Ore carrier built by Blyth Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Cowpen Quay for the Australian Shipping Board. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11.5 knots. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. July 1970 sold to Elios Compania Navigation S.A. Panama and renamed Gallantry. Final voyage from Australia under new name departed Princes Pier Port Melbourne that year. Cyclone 'Rose' drove her aground at Hong Kong 17 August 1971. Refloated however damage too great for economical repair and she was consequentially scrapped May 1972
LAKE EYRE (1) 7,583 gross tons, 4,203 net. Deadweight 10,280 tons. Lbd: 458'5" x 58'10" x 25'11". (139.7 x 17.9 metres) Bulk carrier built by BHP Proprietary Co Ltd., Whyalla Shipyard at South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. Single screw, steam turbine making 12 knots. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. During 1965 she was converted to burn oil as fuel and fitted as 10,368 deadweight tonnage. February 1973 sold to Century Shipping Lines (Hong Kong) Ltd., Singapore and renamed Good Oceaner. October 1973 sold to Solid State Co Ltd, Singapore. June 1975 delivered to Whampoa, China for demolition
LAKE BARRINE (1) 7,215 gross tons, 4,469 net, 10,437 dwt. Lbd: 467'6" x 57'5" x 25'6". (142.5 x 17.5 metres) Bulk carrier built by Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board. Single screw, diesel engine making 12 knots. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1972 sold to S Londish, Australia. Transferred one month later to Drillships Ltd., Australia who converted her into an offshore drilling supply and serving vessel off the Western Australia coast. 1973 renamed Regional Enterprise. July 1974 sold to Atwoodhill Corp Ltd., Hong Kong. 1976 sold to Atwood Oceanics Inc., Panama. 1981 renamed Lacandonbu. Scrapped at Brownsville 1982


Vessels acquisitioned, requisitioned, lend-leased, time chartered and purchased.
Records state 23 in all.


Ed Ed Ed Ed
REYNELLA
1926-59
REYNELLA
as REMO
FAWKNER PARK
1944-68
TARONGA PARK
1944-77
REYNELLA as REMO image personal collection
REYNELLA 9,787 gross tons, 6,069 net, 11,100 dwt. 506"7' x 62"4' x 26"2'. (147.8 x 19 metres) Passenger - cargo ship built Stabilitimento Tecnico Trieste, San Marco as the Remo for Lloyd Triestino Italy. Twin screw, diesel engine making 12 knots. Seized at Fremantle September 1940 by Australian Government and renamed. How exactly this vessel was employed is unknown considering it's passenger and cargo status. MacDonald Hamilton & Co appointed Managers until 1948. Themselves being agents for AUSN, this ship had her almost non-existent funnel painted in the Australasian United S N Co's colours. One can only conclude she spent time laid up or, worked the major Australian ports in passenger service where the established vessels were undergoing War Duties. Sold November 1949 to Lloyd Triestino and renamed Remo. Sold 1951 to Sitmar as cargo only vessel. 1952 sold to Nav Trieste Italy renamed San Sergio. 1956 sold to Marigensa Marittima Genovese. Sold for demolition at Kure. Scrapping began August 1959
FAWKNER PARK 2,882 gross tons, 1,654 net. 4,700 approx deadweight. Lbd: 328' x 46'6" x 20'10". Triple Steam Expansion engine. Cargo vessel , steamship as completed by St John Drydock and Shipbuilding Co Ltd of St John Canada for the Canadian Government, and named Fawkner Park (Park Steamship Co). Delivered to the Commonwealth of Australia on 21 January 1944 under lend-lease arrangement with the Goverment of Canada. Modifications made in Sydney for Australian conditions. Commissioned for Coastal service with Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd (Scott Fell) as Managers. Post War, managed by McIlwraith McEacharn who eventually purchased her late 1946. She was renamed Kooralya. 1956 Converted to burn oil and refitted. 1960 Sold to Theta Shipping Co Ltd of Hong Kong and renamed Mandarin Star. 1964 Transferred to Mandarin Shipping Co Inc of Liberia. 1967 Sold to Fortune Bay Shipping Co Ltd of Liberia and renamed Fortune Bay. 1967 Sold to Dragon Seatransport Co S.A Panama and renamed Dragon Boat. 1968 Sold to Sangyo Shinko for demolition in Izumiotsu
TARONGA PARK 2,884 gross tons, 4,700 tons approx deadweight. Cargo steamship built by Saint John Dry Dock, East St John, New Brunswick for the Government of Canada, Montreal. Construction completed April 1944. Delivered to the Commonwealth of Australia on 8 May 1944 under lend-lease arrangement with the Government of Canada. How she serviced the Australian needs is so far unrecorded. 1947 renamed Federal Ranger owned by Federal Commerce. 1948 renamed Maria Toft as owned by J Toft. 1951 renamed J E Manne as owned by C Manne. 1956 renamed J E M Naess as owned by I Jansen. 1963 owned by T Samourkas with two name changes being - Hermes Leader & in 1969 renamed Leader One. 1971 owned by G Foutoulakis with two name changes being - Panagia M, later in 1975 renamed Merian. Wrecked off Othoni Island July 1977


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RANSDORP
1934-61
TYALLA
1944-62
CARCOOLA
1943-67
COOLABAH
1943-68
RANSDORP image personal collection, COOLABAH image courtesy Matterson Marine
TYALLA & CARCOOLA image courtesy State Library Victoria
RANSDORP 469 gross tons. 189 net. Lbd: 164'0" x 27'0' x 11'2". (47.5 x 8.2 metres) Built Nederlandsche Dok, Amsterdam, Netherlands as a tanker for N V Maats voor Zwavelzuurbereiding (G T Ketjen & Co). Single screw, diesel engine making 9 knots. November 1949 bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board and purchased early 1950's. March 1957 transferred to Australian National Line. May 1958 sold to P N Dent & L Graham of Fiji and renamed Verao. 1960 sold to Southern Cross Shipping Co Ltd., Fiji. 18th March 1961 foundered in heavy seas 230 miles east of Brisbane en route from Bundaberg to Auckland with cargo of molasses
TYALLA 7,437 gross tons. 5,372 net. Lbd: 447'10" x 56'4" x 26'9". Repair ship laid down on the stocks 18 November 1943 by Short Bros, Pallion Sunderland England for Ministry of War Transport UK as the Empire Perak. Transferred to Royal Navy being launched as HMS Dullisk Cove. Refitted at Smiths Dock, Middlesborough late 1944, completed June 1945, laid up until 1947 and sold to Haddon Steamship Co Ltd. Renamed Kefalonia. 1951 sold to the Australian Shipping Board with registry still in UK. July 1951 renamed Tyalla. October 1954 registry transferred to Australia. March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. May 1957 sold to Cambray Prince Steamship Co Ltd., Hong Kong (J Manners & Co) and renamed Wear Breeze. Demolished at Yokosuka, Japan July 1962
CARCOOLA 3,296 gross tons. 1,799 net. Lbd: 327'11" x 46'6" x 20'10". Coal fired steamship built by W Gray & Co Ltd., West Hartlepool as the Empire Mountain for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. 1947 management transferred to Moller Line (U.K.) Ltd., and converted to burn oil as fuel. 1950 sold to Mollers Line Ltd and renamed following year Hannah Moller. Later in 1951 tranferred to Mount Lines Ltd., renamed Mount Parker with Mollers Ltd as managers. May 1952 sold to the Australian Shipping Board and renamed Carcoola. Registry in Australia took place October 1954. November 1956 sold to J Manners & Co, Cambray Breeze Steamship Co Ltd of Hong Kong and renamed Timur. 1964 of Cambray Breeze Steamship Co Ltd of Hong Kong (J Manners & Co, managers) and renamed Timur. 1966 sold to China Pacific Nav Co , Panama and renamed Victoria Trader. June 1967 demolition began at Kaohsiung
COOLABAH 3,327 gross tons, 1,824 net. Lbd: 327'10" 46'6" x 20'10". Coal fired steamship built by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Troon as the Empire Dirk for the Ministry of War Transport, Troon. 1947 management transferred to Moller Line (U.K.) Ltd., and converted to burn oil as fuel. 1950 sold to Mollers Line Ltd, renamed following year as Nancy Moller. Later in 1951 tranferred to Mount Lines Ltd., renamed Mount Austin with Mollers Ltd as managers. May 1952 sold to the Australian Shipping Board and renamed Coolabah. Registry in Australia took place October 1954. November 1956 sold to Cambray Breeze Steamship Co Ltd of Hong Kong and renamed Troon Breeze. Mid 1964 transferred to San Fernando Steamship Co S.A., Panama and renamed Cachupin. 1966 sold to Shiu Cheung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Kowloon No 1. 16 September 1967 ran aground and abandoned off Hachinohe (40.32N/141.33E). October 1967, refloated and arrived at Yokosura port after 4 days. Declared a total constructive loss and sold for demolition at Oppama February 1968


Ed Ed Ed Ed
NYORA
1935-79
SWANBROOK
1937-70
CORRIMAL
1911-69
VAN SPILBERGEN
1908- 49
NYORA image courtesy State Library Victoria, SWANBROOK image (L15579) National Library of Australia, CORRIMAL & VAN SPILBERGEN images personal collection
NYORA 1,299 gross tons, 681 net. Lbd: 242'6" x 36'1" x 13'5". General cargo motor vessel built by Nordseewerke Emden G m b H., Emden Germany as the Adrian. 1938 transferred ownership to Ernst Komrowski, Reederei, Hamburg. Seized by Allies at Copenhagen 1945, handed over to Ministry of Transport (UK) and renamed Empire Conifer. Allocated (leased?) as war reparations to the Australian Government 1945. Arrived Australian shores New Years Day 1947, laid up from October at Sydney for extensive modifications. Registry transferred May 1948 to Australia and officially bought for one penny in September 1948 and renamed Nyora. Sold to John Burke & Co, Brisbane December 1953. Sold to Robin & Co, Panama in 1963 & renamed Selat Singkep. 1964 renamed Molopo, 1964 renamed Anban, 1965 renamed Basongo, 1966 renamed Medduno, 1969 renamed Mesawa, 1976 renamed Forevergreen, 1977 renamed Majullah, 1978 renamed Jayawang. 23 July 1978 sank near Bangkok. 1979 raised but sank again
SWANBROOK 4944 gross tons. Lb: 127.5 x 16.8 metres. Cargo vessel built vy Barclay Curle, Whiteinch as the Dunkeld for Lomond Shipping Co Ltd (R J Dunlop Jnr), Glasgow. Single screw, diesel engine making 11 knots. 1945 owned by J A Billmeir & Co and renamed Stankeld. 1951 owned by Westralian farmers, (Fremantle?) and renamed Swanbrook. Under charter by ASB, date unknown and returned to owners 1957. Later 1957 owned by J Manners & Co, renamed Sydney Breeze. 1964 same owners, renamed San Ernesto. 1966 owned by Cathay Trader SS Co renamed Cathay Trader. 1968 owned by Soo E Loh renamed Renown Trader. Broken up at Hong Kong January 1970
CORRIMAL 1,140 gross tons. 682 net. Lbd: 239'0" x 34'8" x 15'5". (70.1 x 10.6 metres) General cargo vessel built by Greenock and Grangemouth Dockyard Grangemouth for G S Yuill & Co Ltd Australia. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 9 knots. 1926 sold to White Steamship Co Ltd Australia. July 1927 sold to Hammond & Co Australia. November 1927 sold to James Patrick & Co Ltd., Australia. November 1942 requisitioned by Australian Government. James Patrick & Co, Sydney appointed as managers November 1942. December 1944 purchased outright by Australian Government. December 1947 transferred to ASB. Laid up during 1949. Sold 1950 to Bitumen & Oil Refineries (Australia) Ltd, remained laid up. 1951 sold to R W Miller and Co, Australia, converted into a collier and renamed Ayrfield. Sold for demolition 1969, broken up at Homebush Bay Sydney June 1969
VAN SPILBERGEN 2,868 gross tons. Lb: 99.2 x 13.4 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, Rotterdam for Koninklijke Paketvaart-Maatschappij (KPM). Registered Batavia. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots. Escaped the conflict at Singpore and being leased / chartered vessel to the Australian Shipping Board control. Made several trips between April and November 1945 to Derby and Broome under Western Australia's Stateships banner. Was capable of only 8 knots per hour according to Ship's Engineer. From 17 June 1949 scrapped at Hong Kong


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BELLERBY
1944-72
FIRBY
1942-66
STAGPOOL
1930-63
YEARBY
1929-58
FIRBY inage (a637475r) courtesy State Library New South Wales, YEARBY image personal collection
BELLERBY 7,071 gross tons. Built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Irving or the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10-11 knots. 1946 purchased by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1946 until 1960. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until 30th July 1948. Bareboat chartered again from 16th May 1950 until 'unknown date' to Scott Fell Shipping Co., Sydney. 1960 sold to Iranian Lloyd Co, and renamed Persian Cambyses. 1964 sold to Iranian Shipping Co, renamed Iranian Trader, 1964 renamed Shiraz. 1970 sold to Matrood & Bayrainis, Bahrain, renamed Sayhet. 1972 scrapped at Gadani Beach
FIRBY 7,174 gross tons, 10,490 dwt. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only, built by Todd Bath Iron Shipbuilding Corp, Portland as the Ocean Fame for the Ministry of War Transport, Manchester. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1947 purchased by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1947 until 1955. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until September 1948. Bareboat chartered again from 14th July 1949 until 16th October 1950 and from 27th June 1951 until 'unknown' date. Was still known on the Australian coast up to early 1955. 1955 sold to N G Kyriakides renamed Irene K. 1964 under same ownership renamed Winchester Queen. From 29 November 1966 scrapped at Bilbao
STAGPOOL 4,560 gross tons. Lb: 112.9 x 16.9 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only, built by W Doxford & Sons, Sunderland for Interstate Steamships Ltd (Scott Fell & Co., Sydney) as Iron Chief. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Sold 1934 to Essex Oak. 1935 purchased from Essex Oak by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd., and renamed Stagpool. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until 6th July 1948. 1950 sold to Heron Steamship Co., London (Tsavliris) and renamed Granny Suzanne. 1954 sold to S.Tuillier, Costa Rica and renamed Carmen. 30 June 1963 sunk in collision with the 'Sadikzade', 51.08N/1.36E with the loss of 2 lives
YEARBY 5,666 gross tons. Lb: 132.6 x 16.9 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only, built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool in 1926 for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. purchased by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England and renamed. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 30th January 1948 until 6th July 1948. 1950 sold to A Ravano, Italy renamed Bonitas. 19 February 1958 foundered 34.03N/74.00W off Cape Hatteras


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CLEARPOOL
1941-59
SWAINBY
1941-71
OAKBY
1942-66
LEVENPOOL
1942-69
OAKBY image wanted
CLEARPOOL 6,715 gross tons. Lb: 127.8 x 13.3 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Cabot for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1945 until 1954. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 1st March 1948 until 8th December 1948. 1954 sold to Cardigan Shipping Co., Cardiff (W T Gould & Co) and renamed Grelmarion. 1959 sold to Bowring & Curry, Germany and renamed Rachel. November 1959 scrapped at Hong Kong
SWAINBY 6,711 gross tons, 9712 dwt. Lb: 131.6 x 17.2 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Sunbeam for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1945 until 1954. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 1st March 1948 until 8th December 1948. Bareboat chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co., South Australia from 11th December 1952 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast during 1953. 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co, london (Tsavliris Shipping) renamed Newgate. October 1971 scrapped at Istanbul
OAKBY 7,173 gross tons, 10,490 dwt. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only built by Todd-Bath Iron Shipbuilding Corp, Portland as the Ocean Pride for the Ministry of War Transport, Glasgow. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. Purchased 1947 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1947 until 1959. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 19th August 1948 until December 1949. 1959 sold to Pateras Shipbrokers, Lebanon and renamed Erinio. 1964 sold to G & P Lygnos renamed Penelope L. 1965 sold to Litonjua & Co, Liberia and renamed Susana K L. 16 May 1966 abandoned at sea when caught on fire, remains scrapped at Kaohsiung June 1966
LEVENPOOL 7,012 gross tons. Built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Lionel for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1945 until 1962. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 10th September 1948 until November 1949. Bareboat chartered by BHP Shipping Ltd., Australia from 11th December 1951 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast during 1953. 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co., London renamed Newlane. October 1969 scrapped at Chittagong


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CEDARPOOL
1942-59
PIKEPOOL
1942-67
HERONSPOOL
1942-67
GULLPOOL
1928-59
HERONSPOOL image (131765r) courtesy State Library Queensland
CEDARPOOL 7,031 gross tons. Built by W Gray & Co., West Hartlepool as the Empire Clarion for the Ministry of War Transport, Hartlepool. Purchased 1945 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed and owned from 1946 until 1959. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 21st December 1948 until unknown date. Bareboat chartered by BHP Shipping Ltd., Australia from 11th December 1951 until unknown date. Was still plying the Australian coast up until 1955. Scrapped July 1959 at Hamburg
PIKEPOOL 7,178 gross tons, 10,490 dwt. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only as built by Todd Bath Iron S.B. Corp., Portland as the Ocean Pilgrim for the Ministry of War Transport, Cardiff. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. Purchased 1947 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed, and owned from 1947 until 1959. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 19th January 1949 until 8th March 1950. Bareboat chartered by Huddart Parker Ltd., Australia from 7th April 1951 until unknown date. 1959 sold to J Livanos & Sons, Greece and renamed Marigo. 1966 sold to Amfitriti Shipping Co, Cyprus renamed Amfitriti. November 1967 scrapped at Kaohsiung
HERONSPOOL 7,174 gross tons, 10,490 dwt. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only as built by Todd California Iron Shipbuilding Corp, Richmond California USA as the Ocean Valour for the Ministry of War Transport, Southampton. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1947 purchased by Ropner Shipping, not renamed, 1949 renamed Heronspool. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 25th August 1949 until 26th August 1950. Bareboat chartered again from 31st May 1951 until date unknown. Was still on the Australian coast up to late 1954. 1955 sold to Flotta Lauro Lines (A Lauro), Italy and renamed Liana. from 25 February 1967 scrapped at La Spezia
GULLPOOL 4,870 gross tons. Lb: 123.5 x 16.3 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only as built by Cowpen Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co., Blyth for Ropner Shipping. Triple expansion engine making 10.5 knots. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board circa 21st March 1944. 1950 sold to Italian interests (Malvicini) and renamed San Felice. 1959 same owner and renamed Santo Emilio. 1959 owned by Miniere Metallurgic renamed Kettara. Scrapped Osaka from 4 June 1959


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved