FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

 

PAGE ONE
1915 - 61
A to Z
quick jump

Bright Wings
Emerald Wings
Iron Baron (1)
Iron Baron (11)
Iron Cavalier
Iron Chieftain (1)
Iron Clipper
Iron Dampier (1)
Iron Derby
Iron Duke (1)
Iron Flinders (1)
Iron Kimberley
Iron King
Iron Knight (1)
Iron Knight (11)
Iron Knob
Iron Master
Iron Monarch (1)
Iron Monarch (11)
Iron Prince (1)
Iron Prince (11)
Iron Spencer (1)
Iron Warrior (1)
Iron Warrior (11)
Iron Whyalla (1)
Iron Wyndham
Iron Yampi
Koolonga
Southborough

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


B H P
SHIPPING
Incorporated in Melbourne Thursday 13 August 1885 as The Broken Hill Proprietary Company Limited (BHP)
From 1889 sea transport was contracted, via Adelaide Steamship Company, for the carriage of coal and coke from Newcastle to smelters at Port Pirie. At the same time P & O were contracted as overseas carriers of lead and silver.
The discovery and claim of Iron ore at Iron Knob and Iron Monarch, inland from Spencer Gulf South Australia saw a gradual move toward Iron ore interest as more than just a flux in the smelting of lead and silver. With the construction of steelworks at Newcastle, New South Wales completed by 1915 came the advent of partial ship owning with the arrival of the steamer EMERALD WINGS in transporting to Newcastle the first shipment of iron ore from Whyalla South Australia on January 19 1915.
Scott Fell had been appointed as the Company's ship manager as from March 1914 when the contract of 25 years with Adelaide Steamship Company was not renewed. Scott Fell chartered on behalf of BHP three British owned steamships. Emerald Wings, Bright Wings and the Southborough for the exclusive carriage of cargoes as required by BHP
It was through Scott Fell that on 22 November 1917 a ten-year-old steamer named KOOLONGA was purchased (in joint ownership), and renamed IRON MONARCH
on 30 July 1918. BHP were now shipowners, and a new direction had begun.
Scott, Fell continued to manage BHP ships at the time, with his own vessels under continual charter before and after BHP formed its own shipping division in 1928
The story of BHP as, originally silver mining and evolution into iron & steel is another story altogether.
This page is dedicated to the vessels associated with and owned by BHP Shipping and Transport

THIS PAGE 1915 - 61


PAGE 2
1961-81
PAGE 3
1981-2007

PAGE 4
chartered/managed vessels
1915-98

Page 3 under construction!

HOUSE FLAGS
Ed Ed Ed
pre 1985 1985-93 1994


Ed
FUNNEL
pre 1985


Ed Ed Ed
EMERALD WINGS
1911-55
BRIGHT WINGS
1909-23
SOUTHBOROUGH
1910-18
EMERALD WINGS 3,139 gross tons, 1,985 net. 5,600 deadweight. Lbd: 331'3" x 49' x 24'3". Steel hulled general cargo steamship built by Russell & Co., Kingston Yard Port Glasgow as the Emerald Wings for the Wing Steamship Co Ltd (Norman Hallett & Co) London. Of triple expansion 3 cylinder engine = 276 nominal (nhp) horsepower and rated at 9 knots. 1915 chartered to W Scott Fell & Co, Sydney and registered at Sydney. Transported to Newcastle, New South Wales the first shipment of iron ore from Whyalla, South Australia for BHP on January 19th 1915. The Wing Steamship Co Ltd decided not to renew charter and sold her to the Limerick Steamship Co of Limerick Ireland on June 26th, 1917. Renamed Kilbaha on the 9th February 1918 with her Sydney registry retained. Owing to the essential services required by Australia during the 'first great conflict' , Commonwealth Shipping Authorites stepped in ensuring this vessel remain in service on the Australian coast. 23rd February 1918 ownership transferred to Margam Abbey Steamship Co Ltd., Cardiff Wales. Her Sydney registry remained. 20th October 1919 sold to Broken Hill Proprietary Co., Sydney and 23rd June 1920 renamed Iron Baron. 1921 modified to include marine wireless with extra bridge deck added for wireless shack and enclosed wheelhouse. 25th January 1925 registered at Newcastle, New South Wales, re-register at Melbourne July 1926. Sold 13th November 1929 to E B Aaby of Oslo Norway, later under ownership as E B Aaby Rederi A/S with name remaining as Iron Baron. Commissioned by the Norwegian Shipping and Trade Mission London undertaking runs on the Atlantic ocean between Britain and the United States during World War 11. Returned to owners late 1945, eventually being converted to oil-firing. 18th February 1952 sold to Flotta Z (Mario Zobali) of Genoa Italy and renamed Vittorio Z. 11th October 1955 sank off Texel Island, Netherlands after a collision with the motorship Prins Mauritz with a cargo of cement
BRIGHT WINGS 3116 gross tons. Lb: 331'4" x 48'9". Cargo ship. Launched: 22/04/1909 & Completed: May 1909. Built as the Bright Wings by Russell & Co Port Glasgow, for the Wing SS Co. (Norman Hallett), London/Sydney New South Wales. Propulsion: steam, triple expansion, single screw, 9 knots. 1915 chartered to W Scott Fell & Co, Sydney and registered at Sydney. 1917 owned by the Limerick Steam Ship Co. Renamed 1918 Auchinish. 1918 Carrington Steam Ship Co. (Williams & Mordey), Cardiff and renamed Auginish. 1919 purchased by Broken Hill Proprietary Co., Sydney New South Wales and renamed Iron Prince. Wrecked 19th April 1923 on Cape Howe on passage Devonport Tasmania for Newcastle New South Wales with cargo of limestone
SOUTHBOROUGH 3,809 gross tons. (Some records state 3,709 gross tons) Built in 1910 under yard no 249 by the Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland, for Una, Ltd. (Houlder, Middleton & Co. Ltd.) London, under the name Anerley. Lbd:. 346'5" x 50'8" x 23 feet. One triple expansion steam engine 314 nhp., speed 10 knots. 1914 Sold to Hazelwood Shipping Co., Ltd. (Hopkins, Jones & Co. Ltd), Sydney, New South Wales (Cardiff UK real ownership interests who registered the vessel at Sydney). 1915 chartered to W Scott Fell & Co, Sydney and registered at Sydney. Traded round the Australian coast until recalled to Britain in May 1918. 1917 Under management by Humphries (Cardiff), Ltd. Torpedoed and sunk on 16 July 1918 by the submarine UB 110. The Captain and 29 men lost. At the time of her loss was still registered in Sydney. Sunk 5 miles N by E1/2E of Scarborough when sailing from La Goulette for Teeside with a cargo of iron ore
Norman, Hallett & Co of London were the owners of the 'Wings" prefix vessels and upon completion of their charters, decided not to renew. In fact the Emerald Wings was sold 26 June 1917 to Limerick Steamship Co and the Bright Wings sold to the same concern July 3 1917. As there was a war going on, the Australian Commonwealth Government was not about to release necessary tonnage essential at the time to Australian domestic needs


KOOLONGA / IRON MONARCH (1) 1914-44
Ed Ed
KOOLONGA IRON MONARCH (1)
KOOLONGA image courtesy State Library Victoria
IRON MONARCH (1) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
IRON MONARCH (1) 4,260 gross tons, 2632 net. Lbd: 364' x 50'7" x 26'1" (110.9 x 15.5 metres). Steel single screw cargo ship built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., South Dock Sunderland as the Koolonga for McIlwraith, McEacharn Line Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine manufactured by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co Ltd., Sunderland. 344 nominal horsepower. 6th August requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a collier. May 1915 returned to owners and occassionally empoyed on BHP cargo trades from South Australia - Newcastle New South Wales. October 1917 co-purchased by Scott Fell & Co., Newcastle, New South Wales (11/64th shares) and BHP Ltd (Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd) via Sydney solicitor as nominee for BHP., Mr. Edward Simpson (53/64th shares). Renamed Iron Monarch and registered at Sydney. 1920 sold to Interstate Steamships Ltd (Scott Fell & Co) yet remained in registered ownership of Simpson and Fell. 1928 registered to Interstate Steamships Ltd. On July 7, 1933, vessel ran into breakwater at Port Kembla, NSW during 100 mph squall. Towed free by Newcastle tugs Rollicker and St. Giles. On October 23rd 1934, ran aground in dense fog at Cape Three Point, Broken Bay. Vessel quickly freed itself; damage £1,763; Captain T. J. Wilson, found guilty at inquiry of 'poor navigation', & had his licence suspended for 3 months. On November 26th 1934, ran aground approaching Newcastle Steelworks (on 'Stockton rock breakwater') when loaded with 6,600 tons of iron ore from Whyalla, South Australia. Almost half the load had to be dumped; vessel seriously damaged; temporary repairs were effected; repaired at Cockatoo Dock, Sydney, New South Wales, at cost of £8,985. 1937 owners renamed as Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd. Sold in 1937 to Madrigal & Co., Philippines and renamed Paz. March 1942 scuttled at Sourabaya Harbour, later salvaged by Japanese forces and under ownership of the Government of Japan was renamed Hatsu Maru. Bombed and sunk by US carrier based aircraft in Manila Bay, Philippines, on November 13, 1944


Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON BARON (1)
1911-55
IRON PRINCE (1)
1909-23
IRON KNOB
1922-57
IRON MASTER
1921-57
IRON BARON (1) , IRON PRINCE (11) & IRON MASTER images courtesy State Library NSW
IRON KNOB image courtesy State Library Queensland
IRON BARON (1) 3,139 gross tons. Lb: 331'4" x 48'9". Cargo ship. Launched: Wednesday, 6 September 1911 Completed end of September 1911. Built as the Emerald Wings by Russell & Co Port Glasgow, for the Wing SS Co. (Norman Hallett), London/Sydney New South Wales. Propulsion: steam, triple expansion, single screw, 9 knots. 1917 owned by the Limerick Steam Ship Co. 1918 renamed Kilbaha. 1919 when owned by Margam Abbey SS Co., Cardiff. 1919 purchased by Broken Hill Proprietary Co., Sydney New South Wales and renamed Iron Baron. Was this concern's first vessel owned outright. Sold 13th November 1929 to E B Aaby of Oslo Norway, later under ownership as E B Aaby Rederi A/S with name remaining as Iron Baron. Commissioned by the Norwegian Shipping and Trade Mission London undertaking runs on the Atlantic ocean between Britain and the United States during World War 11. Returned to owners late 1945, eventually being converted to oil-firing. 18th February 1952 sold to Flotta Z (Mario Zobali) of Genoa Italy and renamed Vittorio Z. 11th October 1955 sank off Texel Island, Netherlands after a collision with the motorship Prins Mauritz whilst laden with a cargo of cement
IRON PRINCE 3116 gross tons. Lb: 331'4" x 48'9". Cargo ship. Launched: Wednesday, Thursday, 22nd April 1909 and Completed May 1909. Built as the Bright Wings by Russell & Co Port Glasgow, for the Wing SS Co. (Norman Hallett), London/Sydney New South Wales. Propulsion: steam, triple expansion, single screw, 9 knots. 1917 owned by the Limerick Steam Ship Co. Renamed 1918 Auchinish. 1918 under ownership of Carrington Steam Ship Co. (Williams & Mordey), Cardiff, was renamed Auginish. 1919 purchased by Broken Hill Proprietary Co., Sydney New South Wales and renamed Iron Prince. Wrecked 19th April 1923 on Cape Howe on passage Devonport Tasmania for Newcastle New South Wales with cargo of limestone
IRON KNOB 3349 gross tons, 1,907 net. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". Steel single screw steamship, "E class" as built by Poole & Steele Ltd., Adelaide as the Euwarra for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government Liner of Steamers, and registered Newcastle New South Wales. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine (by shipbuilder) 516 nominal horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots. Crew 46. Sold 9th October 1923 to BHP renamed Iron Knob. Serviced most routes of this concern in the era included being the first to load limestone from Rapid Bay in the St Vincent Gulf of South Australia for Whyalla. Also took first load of dolomite at Ardrossan. In 32 years service between Newcastle and southern Australian ports (393 voyages) she carried approx 3.2 million tons of cargo as scrap and pig iron, dolomite, limestone and iron ore. Sold in 1955 to Panatiotis Vrangos of Trieste and renamed upon delivery as Clarisse registered Panama. She sank in the Indian Ocean on 15th July 1957 bound from Mormugao India to Trieste. Heavy weather caused a port side leak that flooded the engineroom and, when plates sprang on the outer hull orders were made for abandonment. Master and 21 survivors landed at Durban via the oil tanker Justin Walker
IRON MASTER 3351 gross tons, 1,916 net, 6170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". Steel, single screw steamship, "E class" built by Poole & Steele Ltd., Adelaide as the Eurimbla for the Australian Government's Commonwealth Government Liner of Steamers. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine (by shipbuilder) 516 nominal horsepower. Service speed of 10 knots. Crew 46. Was fitted with limited refrigeration. 3 December 1921 commissioned and 19 January 1922 arrived at Melbourne for drydocking and was her only voyage for the Commonwealth Liner of Steamers. Sold 9th November 1923 to BHP renamed Iron Master and registered at Melbourne. Serviced this concern's terminal ports in the products cargo service with more than her fair share of incidents. Had struck Corsair rock early in her career, damaged a propellor after striking submerged submarine in Williamstown dock Melbourne, and grounded herself off Bulli Head New South Wales 1942 in fog with subsequent damage requiring 72 new plates. A normal situation there would have her written off, but as there was a war going on repairs were deemed essential. Was converted to oil-firing 1927 but this was disengaged at a later date owing to the instability it caused to the delicate balance of the ship with her payload of iron and coal. May 1946 and October 1955 alterations made to accomodation and (1955) additional structure added to poop deck. Made a total of 384 voyages in 34 years with this Company. July 1957 sold to Cambray Prince Steamship Co Ltd, Hong Kong (J Manners & Co as managers) and handed over on 1st March 1958. April 1958 registered at Hong Kong with name of Tasman Breeze tentatively approved. Laid up until March 1959 when delivered to Shun Fung Ironworks Ltd., Hong Kong (a J Manners subsidiary) for scrapping purposes


Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON PRINCE (11)
1923-59
IRON WARRIOR (1)
1922-64
IRON BARON (11)
1936-69
IRON KING
1936-67
Iron Prince image (303430) in wartime livery courtesy Australian War Memorial
IRON WARRIOR (1) image courtesy Wollongong City Library
IRON PRINCE (11) 3,352 gross tons, 1,916 net, 6,170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". Triple expansion three cyliner engine manufactured by Thompson & Co Pty Ltd., Castlemaine Victoria. 516 nhp, service speed 10 knots. Crew: 46. Steel single screw steamship "E" class and laid down as the Elouera at the Commonwealth Government Shipbuilding and Engineering Dockyard, Williamstown Victoria for Australian Government's Commonwealth Line of Steamers. Launched 1st March 1923 and completed July 1923. Remained at that port until 16th November 1923 when sold to BHP for 39,500 pounds and renamed Iron Prince. Although originally designed for bulk grain and wheat exports, this vessel and her sisterships also acquired by BHP., proved excellent in the carriage of heavy cargoes. This vessel serviced the round trip of finished product from Newcastle alternating to Adelaide and Melbourne, from either of those ports steamed in ballast to Whyalla and loading on average 5,500 tones of ironstone for Newcastle. This usually took 21 days round trip. Some voyages backloaded limestone at Devonport. 13th September 1939 was the first vessel to steam up the Whyalla channel, newly completed and berhing at Basin Wharf. There she self unloaded variable of parts required for the soon to be built Whyalla blast furnace. Served WW2 on essential domestic coastal duties. 1947 Aterations made to accomodation. 1952 major accomodation alterations made at Whyalla. 1956 offered for outright sale to Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd. Same sold directly to Cambray Prince Steamship Co Ltd (John Manners Managers) Hong Kong for the sum of 84,500 pounds sterling. Delivered 13th September 1956 at Newcastle and renamed Kembla Breeze. 11 April 1958 towed her sistership Iron Master from Newcastle bound for new owners at Hong Kong. December 1959 sold to Iwai & Co Ltd., Tokyo. Broken up at Kokura that year
IRON WARRIOR (1) 3,345 gross tons, 1,909 net, 6,170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". (100.9 x 14.6 metres). Steel single screw steamship built Poole & Steel, Port Adelaide for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line. Triple expansion three cylinder engine built by the shipbuilder. 516 nhp, service speed 10 knots. Crw: 46. Originally laid down as the Erina on the stocks for Australian Government's Commonwealth Line of Steamers, but launched and completed as Eugowra when commissioned 13th June 1923. Was chartered out to James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., who employed her on some voyages carrying BHP cargoes. Sold 1925 to Broken Hill Pty Co (BHP) Australia and renamed Iron Warrior. 18th July 1928 was first vessel to berth at the AIS No 2 berth at Port Kembla. Unloaded 5,000 tons of iron ore as first consignment for the Port Kembla blast furnace. During World War 11, was fitted with extra generator (as were all "e" class vessels) for the purpose of provided extra powered required for the de-gaussing (anti magnetic mine) gear. Retained in all E class vessels and in later years causing severe 'taxing' of power problems by modern appliances ie: turning on a toaster could and often did cause a complete electrical blackout. 1947 alterations made to accomodation. 1949 became first BHP vessel to visit Hobart, Tasmania, arriving with a cargo of pig-iron and returning to Port Kembla via Risdon, Tasmania with a consignment of zinc. 1953-54 major changes made to accomodation effected at State Dockyard Newcastle. 11th June 1957 decommissioned at newcastle after arriving with her final load of scrap iron from Port Adelaide. During 32 years with BHP, she completed 403 voyages, having traversed some 2,093,000 nautical miles carrying some 3.5 million tons. Sold to Onfrio Jacomino , Naples 11th June 1957 with intended new name of Baliluzzo however purchaser defaulted and she was laid up. 1st October 1957 sold to Carribean and St Lawrence Navigation Co., SA Panama (V B Bendix) and renamed Zeus. Carried ore and coal for new owners along the Manchurian coast. 1963 sold to Cia Globo De Navigation SA Panama, name unchanged. Later 1963 sold to Cia. Nav., Emmanuel SA Panama (Lee Shek Tung) and renamed Dorar. Wrecked east coast Chau Island, Hong Kong 5th September 1964 during Typhoon Ruby with a loss of 11 eleven lives when bound from Indonesia to Japan
IRON BARON (11) 4,584 gross tons, 2634 net 7950 dwt. Single turbine cargo ship built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow as an Ore Carrier for BHP. Lbd: 393'2" x 56'2" x 23'10". Propulsion: Quadruple 4 cylinder & exhaust turbine driving steam compressor 2800ihp 10.5 knots machinery aft. First constructed of the 'chieftain' class. Upon arrival at Wallaroo, South Australia , proceeded to Whyalla and loaded ironstone for Newcastle. Such was to be her regular run. 1941 funnel extended by 14 feet at Whyalla Shipyard. April 1954- early 1955 converted to oil firing and given general upgrade. Sold 1966 to Australia Pacific Shipping (H K) Ltd, Hong Kong, renamed Pacific Queen under Panamanian registry. 1969 sold to Ming Hing Co for demolition and scrapping began at Hong Kong as from 20th October 1969
IRON KING 4,584 gross tons, 2634 net 7950 dwt. Ore Carrier built by Lithgows Port Glasgow for BHP. Lbd: 407'4" x 56'2" x 23'10". Propulsion: quad exp 4cy 2800ihp 12 knots machinery aft. 11 December 1936 sailed into Wallaroo South Australia after successful sea trials. 'Chieftain' class vessel. Maintained the run from South Australia to Newcastle New South Wales in her capcity. 4 June 1942 saw her fire 4 inch salvo upon the area of the Japanese submarine (I.27) which had just sunk the Iron Crown off Gabo Island New South Wales. 3 March 1953 opened the newly built Kings Wharf at Geelong Victoria with a consignment of steel rods from Port Kembla for the local Rylands Mill. 1955 sustained a water immersed engine room from sudden flooding whilst in Brisbane drydock. 1955 converted to oil firing and accomodation upgraded at Whyalla. 12 July 1960 unofficially opened the 'still under contruction' Inner Harbour Wharf at Port Kembla. Happened as a result of Gale force conditions and the Captain's decision to run the 'narrow' leading to Inner Harbour or be dashed against the breakwater. Sold 1967 to Golden Star Shipping Co., SA Panama and renamed Golden Star. Arrived at Leung Yua Shipbreaking Yard, Hong Kong July 1970, demolition began August 1970


Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON KNIGHT (1)
1937-43
IRON CHIEFTAIN (1)
1937-42
IRON MONARCH (11)
1943-72
IRON DUKE 11-(1)
1943-71
IRON MONARCH (11) image personal collection
IRON CHIEFTAIN (1) image courtesy State Library Victoria
IRON KNIGHT (1) 4812 tons, 2737 net 8130 dwt. Lbd: 404'5" x 56.2 x 26'1". Ore carrier-general cargo built by Lithgows Ltd, Port Glasgow. 'Chieftain' class, quadruple expansion four cylinder engine, exhaust turbine manufactured by David Rowan & Co, Glasgow. Ran on 36 tons of coal per day. Service speed 11 knots crew 47. She arrived at Port Pirie on her maiden voyage with 4,000 tons of coke for the smelting works and thereafter commenced the regular course from South Australia to the eastern ports. 8 February 1943 she was torpedoed by the Japanese submarine 1.21 and sank within two minutes when north of Twofold Bay 30 km from Montague Island, New South Wales. location - 36.51S, 150.38E. She was was the leading ship in a convoy of ten vessels en route Whyalla to Newcastle. Thirty-six lost their lives, fourteen rescued by the French destroyer Le Triomphant
IRON CHIEFTAIN (1) 4812 tons, 2737 net 8130 dwt. Lbd: 404'5" x 56'2" x 26'1". Ore carrier. Built by Lithgows Ltd, Port Glasgow, Scotland for BHP. Fourth vessel of the 'Chieftain' class. Propulsion: steam, quadruple expansion, 553 nhp. Exhaust turbine manufactured by David Rowan & Co, Glasgow. Ran on 36 tons of coal per day. Service speed 11 knots. Crew 47. 26 December 1937 departed the Clyde for Birkenhead, loading 1,300 tons of ferro-manganese. Next port being Lorenco Marques loaded 4,000 tons of chrome ore and eventually at Fremantle 1,330 tons of scrap metal. Port Kembla discharged 946 tons of chrome ore and steamed on to Newcastle discharging the remainder of cargoes. All on her maiden voyage. Held five cargo hatches and improved cargo handling systems in derrick cranes and addition of hydraulic rams. Sunk by Japanese submarine (1.24) 60 km east of Manly, 3 June 1942 on a voyage from Newcastle, New South Wales to Whyalla, South Australia. Twelve crew lost including Captain
IRON MONARCH (11) 4816 gross tons, 2737 net 8130 dwt. Lbd: 404'5" x 56'2" x 26'1". First commercial 'purpose built' vessel at BHP's Whyalla Shipyard (yard No 1), the first 'Chieftain' class built there and the fifth of the 'Chieftain' class constructed. Machinery - quadruple expansion four cylinder engine manufactured by BHP, Newcastle New South Wales. 36 tons of coal per day consumed. 11 knots. Completed trials in Spencer Gulf, steamed in ballast Port Pirie - Whyalla three trips whilst awaiting arrival (by rail) of a four inch gun bound from Bendigo Victoria. Upon being fitted at Whyalla, and loaded with iron ore, this defensively armed merchant vessel headed for Port Kembla 28 March 1943. Having loaded a full cargo of coal at Newcastle for Melbourne and, in the South Channel of Port Phillip Bay, she collided heavily with the 'in ballast' Empire Strength. Neither sank but sustained damage to Iron Monarch later repaired at Whyalla. Blame laid upon Iron Monarch but Captain exonerated owing to overwork, anxiety of the climate of the times and being in a situation that necessitated an experienced pilot. 1952 modified accomodation. May 1957 converted to oil firing. By 1972 she had in a span of 29 years, carried 5 million tons total of cargo and steamed 1,125,000 miles. Sold early 1972 to Great Fareastern Ltd, Hong Kong. Resold soon after to Great China Steel Enterprise Co Ltd, Taiwan for scrapping. 31 August 1972 departed Sydney together with Iron Knight (11) in tow of the tug Sakura Maru. 14 October 1972 arrived Kaohsiung where demolition began 24 October
IRON DUKE 11-(1) 4,818 gross tons, 2,637 net. 8,030 dwt. Lbd: 404'5" x 56'2" x 26'2". Sixth and last of the 'Chieftain" class vessels and being the second built by BHP at their Whyalla Shipyard, Yard No 2, being launched officially as the Iron Duke 11. As there was HMS Iron Duke, a British warship already in service the 11 suffix was added to avoid confusion. Only after the warship was decommissioned in 1946 was this vessel renamed to 'Iron Duke'. Her dimensions since completion read quadruple expansion engine (4 cylinders) as manufactured by BHP, Newcastle. 2,560 shaft horsepower and being a steamship consumed 36 tons of coal per day. Top speed of 12.7 knots. Serviced BHP's coastal trades for 27 uneventful years with a tempoary grounding at Dyke End, Newcastle being her only known mishap. 8 December 1953 converted to oil firing with accomodation aalso being upgraded. July 1970 sold to Pac Trade Navigation Co., Manila and on the 25th July that year sailed from Newcastle as the Exmouth with a Panamanian registry. 11th September 1971 sold to Taiwanese shipbreakers and later that year arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition


Ed
IRON DERBY
image courtesy
State Library New South Wales


Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON YAMPI
1948-75
IRON KIMBERLEY
1949-72
IRON DERBY
1951-73
IRON WYNDHAM
1953-79
IRON KIMBERLEY image personal collection
IRON WYNDHAM image courtesy of Mattmar Marine
IRON YAMPI 9440 gross, 5427 net, 12,791 deadweight tons. Lbd: 504'5' x 66'1' x 32'3". on177202 Steel, single scrw steamship built at BHP Whyalla Shipyard (yard No 17). First constructed of the 'Yampi' class of general cargo vessels for this Company. Machinery: three steam turbines (Parsons, Wallsend UK) single reduction geared to a single shaft. 5,500 shaft horsepower at 115 rpm. Steam pressure 260 lb per square inch provided by three Babcock & Wilcox boilers each with superheaters and forced draught. Of five cargo holds, on storing coal for the journey, she consumed 68 tons per day in making service speed of 12 knots. Maiden voyage 15 June 1948 from Whyalla to Newcastle with 11,400 tons of iron ore. Maintained a service running iron and coke from both Newcastle and Port Kembla to Whyalla blast furnaces, and returning with ironstone to both eastern ports. 26 February 1951 rescued crew from stricken Huddart Parker vessel 'Corio' stranded at Cape Banks South Australia. July 1951 saw the opening of Cockatoo Island, Yampi Sound Western Australia. Here iron ore was mined and shipped to Port Kembla by Iron Yampi for almost the rest of her career. 28 November 1960 officially opened the Inner Harbour at Port Kembla. 1966 converted to oil firing, consuming 43 tons of heavy oil/fuel per day. May 1966 underwent her first overseas voyage from Newcastle to the Philippines with a cargo of steel products. Similiar voyages ensued, including afar as Taiwan and Hong Kong. 17 August 1971 aground at Hong Kong in typhoon 'Rose'. Refloated next day, and drydocked. 26 September 1975 sold to Nissho Iwai Co Ltd, Japan. resold to the Taiwanese shipbreakers, Hsin Hu Tai Steel Works. 16 October 1975 departed Newcastle with 17 Japanese crew, arriving Kaohsiung 4 November 1975 for demolition
IRON KIMBERLEY 9456 gross tons, 5435 net, 12,741 dwt. Lbd: 504'5" x 66'1" x 32'3". Built Whyalla South Australia, and completed 1949, she was the second of the 'Yampi' class vessels to enter trade for BHP. Machinery: three Parsons type steam turbines manufactured by BHP Whyalla, single reduction geared to a single shaft. 5,700 shaft horsepower. Service speed 13 knots. Maiden voyage 2 October 1949 with 10,050 tons of iron ore for Newcastle. Continued the coal, coke and iron ore service between Whyalla Port Kembla and Newcastle until mid 1951 when placed upon the Cockatoo Island Yampi Sound service. 1967 converted to oil firing. Uneventful career, she was grounded twice, October 1957 at Newcastle and 27 August 1962 dragged from Kwinana Wharf in a severe Gale, being ground 100 metres from shore. September 1972 whilst bound for Manilla with a cargo of steel plates and billets, BHP were offered a selling price for her from Wiltopps (Asia) Ltd, Hong Kong. The offer accepted and upon discharge of cargo, and, with all the personal belongings of crew and officers loaded away in containers, plus the Australian ensign and BHP ensign retrieved for return to Australia, she was handed over at Manilla harbour 5 October 1972. Towed to the shipbreakers at Taiwan and demolished
IRON DERBY 9461 gross tons, 5433 net, 12,619 dwt. Lbd: 504'5" x 66'1" x 32'3". Built Whyalla South Australia, and completed 1951, she was the third of the 'Yampi' class vessels to enter trade for BHP. Machinery: three Parsons type steam turbines manufactured by BHP Whyalla, single reduction geared to a single shaft. 5,500 shaft horsepower. Service speed 13 knots. Maiden voyage 1951 carried 10,000 tons of iron ore from Whyalla to Port Kembla. Swung over to the Cockatoo Island in Yampi Sound run to eastern ports with iron ore. 19 April 1965 caused major damage to steelwoks jett at Kwinana. 1967 converted to oil firing. 7 January 1973 departed Whyalla for final time with cargo of steel billets for Hong Kong. Discharging cargo at Junk Bay onto barges, she steamed for Launtau, handed over to new owners Wiltopps (Asia) Ltd, Hong Kong. From there towed to Taiwanese shipbreakers and demoliton began February 1972
IRON WYNDHAM 9460 gross tons, 5434 net, 12,659 dwt. Lbd: 504'5" x 66'1" x 32'3". Built Whyalla South Australia, and completed 1951, she was the fourth and last of the 'Yampi' class vessels to enter trade for BHP. Machinery: three Parsons type steam turbines manufactured by BHP Whyalla, single reduction geared to a single shaft. 5,500 shaft horsepower. Service speed 13 knots. Maintained regular service from Yampi Sound carrying iron ore. Was twice grounded during her career. 1966 converted to oil firing. In 23 years of service she travelled afar as Singapore, Manilla, Taiwan, Hong Kong and New Zealand. Most of her career was out of Yampi sound. First vessel of her 'class' to service Port Headland arriving with heavy equipment for the fledgling Mount Newman project 16 July 1968. 1976 sold to Union Bros Marine Corp, SA Taiwan. October 16 that year delivered to Newcastle, handed over, renamed Union Atlantic with a Panamanian registry. 4 December 1978 laid up at Singapore. 26 December 1978 sold to Lung Ching Steel Enterprise Co Ltd, Taiwan. 29 January 1979 demolition began at Kaohsiung


Ed
IRON WHYALLA (1)
1954-79
image (wrongly titled Iron King) courtesy National Library of Australia
quote vn3095471
IRON WHYALLA (1)Major difference between the sisterships Iron Whyalla and the later built Iron Spencer was the existence of the Samson Posts - with horizontal beam just forward of the superstructure on the Iron Whyalla only. The Iron Duke certainly did not have such in place thus defining the image of the National Library of Australia as incorrect. The Iron Spencer when constructed was reliant on shore based cargo lifting machinery. (Many thanks to 'Gordy' - another well informed former shipmate aboard Australian vessels for this information) See full details of ship further below


Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON WHYALLA (1)
1954-79
IRON KNIGHT (11)
1948-72
IRON SPENCER (1)
1957-80
IRON FLINDERS (1)
1959-78
IRON WHYALLA (1) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
IRON SPENCER (1) image courtesy of Mattmar Marine
IRON FLINDERS (1) image courtesy National Archives of Australia (barcode 7494026)
IRON WHYALLA (1) 7843 gross tons, 3863 net, 10,777 dwt. Lbd: 498' x 62'1" x 30'. Machinery: three steam turbines (Parsons, Wallsend UK) single reduction geared to a single shaft. 6,200 shaft horsepower. Consumed 65 tons per day in making service speed of 14 knots. 51 crew. Four cargo holds. Designed by BHP's Architect and staff, incorporating the 'Isherwood' structural framing system. She was the first of a planned 'four' 10,000 dwt bulk carriers intended for BHP's coastal services, taking iron ore and fluxes from South Australia to Port Kembla and Newcastle, returning with coal and coke. Laid down at Whyalla shipyards March 1951, she was not completed and delivered until until June 1954 owing to long delay in the delivery of machinery. Sistership Iron Spencer. Maiden voyage 10 June from Whyalla jetty with a cargo of iron ore bound for Port Kembla. Mid 1967 shelter deck closed, converted to oil firing and tonnage increased as 10,305 gross, 4978 net, 12,762 dwt. 1st June 1979 sold to Selco (Hong Kong) Ltd, and later resold to Nanhor Steel Enterprise Ltd. Towed to Kaohsiung and demolition began 27 July 1979
IRON KNIGHT (11) 5547 gross tons, 2804 net, 7763 dwt. Lbd: 413'6" x 52'3" x 24'. on196742. Steamship, cargo only as built by Burrard Dry Dock Co Ltd, Vancouver as the Venissieux for the French Government. Single screw, coal fired, with Parsons type double reduction Turbine engine. 11 knots on 20 tons of fuel per day. Sold 19..... to Cie Nantaise Des Bhargeurs De L'Ouest & Others. Sold 19..... Society Nationale Chemins De Fer Francaise (French Railways). August 1955 purchased by BHP. Registered Melbourne. Accomodation reconstructed to suit Australian conditions at Newport Graving Dock on the Usk River, Wales UK. 9 February 1956 trials completed and she sailed for Swansea with Captain J Miles in command and a crew of 39. She loaded 2,070 tons of Anthracite coal and proceed to Sauda, Norway to load 3,995 tons of ferro manganese. This visit gave her the distinction of being the first ever Australian vessel to visit Norway. Departing February 15 bound for Port Kembla, she broke down in the North Sea 27 February, taking four hours to repair. Arrived Aden for coal bunkering and, had to unload the Anthracite coal from the third hold due to spontaneous combustion. Sailed out only to return the following day with electrical problems. Eventually arrived Port Kembla via Port Said, Suez, Aden (twice) and Fremantle, a voyage of 16 weeks. In her time on the Australian coast, BHP employed her very suitably in most cargo capacities. At times she carried train rails to Thevenard and Port Lincoln, South Australia. Has also transported Bentonite from Whyalla to Port Stanley, Tasmania. Also conveyed 'scrap' metal and pre-slung cargoes. By 1972 she had transported 2,500,00 tons of cargo. Sold 1972 to Great Fareastern Ltd, Hong Kong, and resold to Great China Steel Enterprise Co, Taiwan for scrapping purposes. Sailed from Newcastle in tow with Iron Whyalla bound for Kaohsiung and arrived October 14 1972. 30 October 1972 demolition began
IRON SPENCER (1) 7,837 gross tons, 3,810 net, 12,683 dwt. Lbd: 498'8" x 62'6' x 30'. Steel steamship built at BHP shipyards, Whyalla South Australia. Machinery: 3 Steam Turbine double reduction geared to screw shaft. 6,820shp. Service speed: 14.5 knots on 65 yons of coal per day. Sistership Iron Whyalla (1). Converted at State Dockyard, Newcastle, from coal to oil firing. From 1965 - 10250 gross tons, 5,042 net, 12,683 dwt. Her keel was laid 1952, many delays caused her eventually completed 1957. The second of four planned 'Whyalla' class ships. she was the second and last owing to revised Company strategies. Service the Australian coast all her career, twice circumnavigated the continent via Kwinana and Yampi Sound. Ports of call outside of her usual run were, Newcastle with the first ever cargo of 'pencil pitch' to Bell Bay and Geelong, another first being Coffin Bay Limesand from Proper Bay, South Australia. Transported ferro-silicon from Bell Bay to Newcastle and Port Kembla. 27 September 1979 decommissioned, Newcastle and sold to Jehow Tradong Co, Singapore and sold on to Taiwanese shipbreakers. Sailed from Newcastle 30 November 1979 under tow of tug - 'Progress Rover for Kaohsiung where demolition began 28 January 1980
IRON FLINDERS (1) 14039 gross tons, 7145 net, 19,100 dwt. Lbd: 580'8" x 70'7" x 30'3". Steel ore carrier as built at Whyalla to the design of BHP's Naval Architects. The first of the 'Explorer' class, she was also BHP's first vessel fitted at construction as oil fired, AC powered and Air Conditioned. Also boasted a swimming pool on the boat deck. Specificially designed for the iron ore trade from Yampi Sound's Cockatoo Island to the Ports of Newcastle and Port Kembla's steelworks. Machinery - three steam turbines (Parsons, Wallsend UK) double reduction geared to a single shaft (single screw). 14 knots on 45 tons fuel per day. Maiden voyage early August 1959 with 14,000 tons of ore for Port Kembla, arriving 20 August. Incident 8 March 1966 outside of Bradleys Head Sydney collided with the French cargo vessel 'Velay'. Both vessels sustained serious damage, a later inquiry found the Master of the 'Velay' totally at fault. November 1977 laid up at Kwinana, sold same month to Goldwills (Hong Kong) Ltd. 20 January 1978 delivered to owners at Fremantle. 23 January 1978 towed by the tug 'Sumi Maru' arriving early March 1978 at Kaohsiung. Demolition began 2 May 1978


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
IRON DAMPIER (1)
1961-78
IRON WARRIOR (11)
1950-75
IRON CLIPPER
1961-
IRON CAVALIER
1962-
IRON DAMPIER (1) image personal collection. IRON WARRIOR (11) image as Caloundra courtesy State Library Victoria. IRON CAVALIER colour image at Port Hedland personal collection
IRON DAMPIER (1) 14,037 gross tons, 7159 net, 19,020 dwt. Lbd: 580'8' x 70'5" x 30'2". (177 x 21.5 metres) Ore carrier completed at BHP's Whyalla shipyards June 1961. Single screw. Steam turbine. 14 knots. The second vessel of the 'explorer' class. Maiden voyage from Whyalla with 14,000 tons of ore for Port Kembla. An uneventful career of 17 years servicing the west - east coast ore trade. Scrapping began at Kaohsiung 28 March 1978
IRON WARRIOR (11) 4,075 gross tons, 2011 net, 6247 dwt. (tonnages as per BHP official records. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo design steamship, coal fired. Triple expansion three cylinder engine, (C'wealth Govt Engine Works, Port Melbourne) exhaust turbine double reduction gearing with hydraulic coupling to a single shaft. 3,000 ihp. 10 knots. Built by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard, South Australia as the Balook for the Australian Shipping Board. July 1950 sold to Australasian United Steam Navigation Co (AUSN) and in November of that year renamed Caloundra. Serviced mainly Brisbane, Melbourne, Fremantle in the general cargo trade. March 1961 Sold to BHP and renamed Iron Warrior. Also converted from coal to oil as fuel. Placed upon the southern run from Newcastle and Port Kembla with product for Melbourne, Geelong and Port Adelaide. Here she backloaded either dolomite or limestone for those New South Wales ports. Also serviced on occasion Port Augusta, Kwinana, Sydney, Fremantle and Kwinana. 1966-67 saw overseas ventures to Keelung, Kaohsiung, Hong Kong, Illigan, Manilla and Naha. 1967 saw her as the first ship loading magnetite at Port Hedland for the eastern coastal ports. From 1967-68 carried sleepers from Bunbury to Port Hedland for the Mount Newman railway project. 1968 ventured to Darwin, being the first BHP vessel to discharge there. Considered a model ship in the fleet and along the coast, where innovations for the benefit of officers and crews on-board comfort were implemented, as well as the fact she was probably the last active triple expansion steamship in the fleet, her impending retirement left many lamenting, with Unions believing she would make an excellent 'training' ship. February 1975 sold to Hi-Firm Corp., Hong Kong and left Newcastle under tow in May for sale to shipbreakers at Kaohsiung. Demolition began July 1975
IRON CLIPPER 23,793 gross tons, 15,644 net, 35,441 dwt. Lbd: 669'11" x 90'7' x 35'1". Bulk carrier, motorship built by Mitsubishi Zosen, Nagasaki Japan as the Naess Clipper for Anglo-Pacific Shipping Company Ltd, Bermuda (Managers Naess Denholm & Co, London). Nine cyliner 2SA UE oil engine. 13,000 bhp. 15 knots. Chartered by BHP initially for 4 years, she was fitted out at Japan for Australian conditions, arriving Yampi Sound 19 December 1964 as Iron Clipper. BHP's first motorship bulk carrier and the largest ship operating in Australian waters at the time. Placed upon the coal and iron ore export trade to Japan, and found so suitable her charter was twice extended. January 1969 as a result of special dry dock survey, her deadwight tonnage was increased to 38'7". Her and her sistership Iron Cavalier were the worlds last bulk carriers to have an 'island' bridge midships. June 1975 upon completion of charter, returned to owners and renamed Nordic Rambler. Left Newcastle with coal for Europe and there sold to Interoceaneos Armadora SA, Pireaus. Renamed Kavo Xifias. Scapped from May 1984 at China
IRON CAVALIER 23,811 gross tons, 15,568 net, 35,350 dwt. Lbd: 669'11" x 90'2" x 35'1". Bulk carrier, motorship built by Mitsubishi Zosen, Nagasaki Japan as the Naess Cavalier for Anglo-Pacific Shipping Company Ltd, Bermuda (Managers Naess Denholm & Co, London). Nine cyliner 2SA UE oil engine. 13,000 bhp. 15 knots. 4 November 1965 chartered by BHP for a 4 year period. Refitted as Sasebo, Japan for Australian conditions, renamed Iron Cavalier and commenced service in Australia at Yampi Sound, Western Australia 19 December 1965. Here she would have loaded iron ore for Port Kembla, where the port itself had been deepened to accept vessels of this size. Intended to service the Australia - Japan pig iron trade along with her sistership Iron Clipper, she was also found suitable in the trades and her charter extended. 1969 her loading dimensions were remeasured as: draught - 38'8" and deadweight tonnage increased to 40,261. 1972 ownership transferred to Anglo Norness Shipping Co Ltd, chartered remained in effect. Laid up 2 February - 16 June 1972 due to industrial problems. Recommenced trading on the Australian coast in the coal service with her charter extended to 1975. June that year owner again reverted to Anglo-Pacific Shipping Co Ltd and in June 1975, at completion of charter, BHP purchased this vessel outright. London registry (as too her sistership) retained throughout. June 1977 last voyage and with a cargo of manganese ore loaded at Groote Eylandt for Bell Bay and Newcastle where she was laid up at as 8 July 1977. Sold June 1978 to Ailsai Maritime Corp, Piraeus, a subsidiary of Chandris Services Ltd, London. Drydocked at Newcastle 12-17 June 1978, inspected found proper and renamed . Departed Newcastle 1 July 1978 for the final time bound for the Northern Hemisphere. Service since unknown however she was sold to Taiwanese shipbreakers February 1984. Arrived Kaohsiung 17 March 1984 for scrapping purposes




Ed
IRON LADY
current
IRON LADY Built well! Weight never an issue. Similiar to the UK version inasmuch as there's not a hair out of place


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved