FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


COLLIERS & COAL CARRYING SHIPPING CONCERNS

Various coal concerns formed their own shipping lines in order to tranship their produce to the major cities via their own constructed wharves. Known as 'Black Diamonds' the stuff was the only power source for steam powered machinery, including obviously steamships
Separate pages are allocated for the major coal shipowners, such as BHP and J & A Brown (Seaham) whilst this webpage concerns the 'early' and lesser known operatives


mostly based in Sydney and Newcastle
NEW SOUTH WALES


Balmain Line of Steamers
A Sneddon, Sydney
Bellambi Coal Co Ltd, Sydney Alex Brown Bulli Coal Company, Illawarra Coal Cliff Collieries Ltd
Coal-cliff Land & Coal Mining Co G R Dibbs James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd Minmi Colliery Co Ltd., (R Napier) MT Kembla Coal & Oil Company
Mount Pleasant Coal & Iron Mining Co., Sydney R Napier Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Co New Wallsend Coal Company North Illawarra Coal Mining Co Ltd
Osborne Wallsend Company C M Poole A Sneddon, Sydney
Balmain Line of Steamers
William Summerbell Wallsend Coal Company
Wallarah Coal Co South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners'.




BULLI COAL Mining Company
Illawarra New South Wales
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BULLI (1)
1872-77
BULLI (11)
1884-84
WONIORA
1863-82
BARWON
1863-71
BULLI Wollongong City Library 1st image courtesy of Wollongong City Library
2nd image courtesy State Library Victoria
WONIORA image courtesy Max Gleeson (Maritime Author & Dive Site Proprietor) with thanks
BULLI (1) 524 gross tons, 337 net. Lbd: 180'1" x 23'2" x 15'9". Iron screw steamship, collier, with limited passenger capacity and built by Lewis & Stockwell at Greenwich, London for the Bulli Coal Mining Co Ltd., Sydney. Could carry 49 passengers in 2 classes. Had no set itinary as regular ports of call, with Launceston being more frequented of any other ports. June 27th 1877 wrecked on a submerged rock at the Kent Group of Islands, Bass Strait whilst taking shelter during a storm. She was Launceston bound from Newcastle New South Wales, fortunately no lives lost
BULLI (11) 451 gross tons. Lb: 164' x 25'1". Iron single screw steamship, cargo, built by Napier Shanks & Bell Yoker for the Bulli Coal Mining Co Ltd., Sydney. Compounded engine. No other details known. Never reached any Australian port, having beeen wrecked on Seal Island, Paternoster Point, Cape Colony on her delivery voyage from Glasgow for Sydney 5 May 1884
WONIORA 226 gross tons, 160 net. Lbd: 141' x 20'1" x 10'4". Iron single screw steamship, collier, three masts rigged as a schooner. 123 nhp. Built by Wigham Richardson, Low Walker Newcastle Upon Tyne for this concern. Although constructed as a collier, she also carried passengers where possible in accordance with her design. Foundered in heavy seas after rolling on her beam ends, five miles south-east of Botany Heads, 28th October 1882. Carried no passengers at the time, however fifteen crew were lost. The only survivor managed to grasp a plank until an upturned boat drifted within reach. He managed to right it and eventually landed at Botany Bay opposite La Perouse
BARWON 401 gross tons, 311 net. Lbd: 175' x 22'7" x 13'5". Iron steamship built at Greenock, Glasgow for R Little & Co., Glasgow, Of 90 horsepower. 1865 of Robert Neill, Geelong Victoria (possibly an agent for R Little) and in November that year ran Melbourne - Sydney to Hokitika, New Zealand as likely carrying passengers for the goldfields. 1866 was chartered to convey coal from Newcastle to Melbourne as well as passengers from Sydney to Melbourne. Stranded at Queenscliff Victoria on the 24th June 1866 and abandoned to underwriters. Purchased by S G Henty, of western Victoria who refloated her in a successful salvage whereupon she steamed without assistance to Melbourne for necessary repairs. Re-registered at Melbourne 1867 with dimensions being 419 gross tons, 366 net and Lbd: 172'3" x 21'6" x 14'. March 1868 sold to the Bulli Coal Mining Co., Sydney for use as a collier. April 3rd 1871 wrecked on a rock, 4 miles off Cape Bridgewater, Victoria


MT KEMBLA COAL & OIL Company
Loosely owned by Ebenezer Vickery
including here vessels registered solely in his name only
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ALDINGA
1860-96
HAVILAH
1853-1900
FIVE ISLANDS
1909-54
LLEWELLYN
1875-82
DUKE OF EDINBURGH
1867-80+
ALDINGA (128038p) image courtesy of State Library Queensland
HAVILAH (108456) seen here on the left, moored to the Auckland, fully dockside image courtesy State Library Queensland
FIVE ISLANDS image (P12937) courtesy Wollongong City Library
ALDINGA 423 gross tons, 291 net. Iron steamship 2 funnels rigged as a 3 masted barque and built 1860 by Scott of Greenoch for McMeckan, Blackwood & Co in partnership with S White of Aldinga, Adelaide and J Darwent also of Adelaide. Modified 1862 Lbd: 202'6" x 24'6" x 13'4" with tonnage increased to 446 gross. Worked the Tasman run and Otago. 1871 fully owned by McMeckan, Blackwood & Co. Altered during 1887 with with passenger accomodation removed as well as one funnel and and two masts. Sold August 1877 to Adelaide steamship Co. Laid up until 1883 then placed on collier run when purchased by E Vickery who traded as the Mount Kembla Coal Co, Sydney. Wrecked Bellambi reef January 23 1896
HAVILAH 301 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 151' x 22' x 13'4". Iron steamship, 2 cylinder making 55 horsepower and schooner rigged of 3 masts. Built by C Mitchell & Co., Low Walker Tyne for Charles & J F Bowman of South Australia, and Hugh McMeckan - Master Mariner in partnership. Serviced the Melbourne and Adelaide in 1854 as a passenger vessel under agency of McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., Melbourne, their first managed vessel. Owners since: May 1858 Samuel White, reg., Port Adelaide. June 1861 G Fisher & Partners who traded as Launceston & Melbourne S N Co of Launceston, Tasmania. July 1866 W A Guesdon & Partners reg., Hobart. October 1867 Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. May 1868 Mort & McArthur reg., Sydney. November 1869 ASN Co. November 1873 French owners at Noumea. July 1878 J C Lloyd reg Sydney and November 1884 Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co. With her return to Australian registry from Noumea, she was converted into a collier by either J C Lloyd or ensuing purchaser and was converted into a hulk prior to 1900, effectively ending her status as a ship per se. Records state she was broken up in 1911. Havilah apparently means "Land of Gold"
FIVE ISLANDS 956 gross tons. Lbd: 215'2" x 33'1" x 13'9". Collier built by Napier & Miller at Old Kilpatrick, Port Glasgow as the Five Islands for the Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Well known as a 'south-coaster' out of Port Kembla, but was also the last ship of this concern when they ceased shipowning in 1927. Transferred 1927 Mount Kembla Collieries Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Then 1927-54 Bellambi Coal Co Ltd., Sydney who renamed her Bellambi. Withdrawn from service and sold 1954 to Stride, Blackwattle Bay for demolition. Slowly stripped and bare hull scuttled outside Sydney Heads 1981
LLEWELLYN 290 gross tons, 197 net. Lbd: 151'2" x 24' x 12'. Wooden steamship, single screw as built by D Sheedy at Wooloomooloo Sydney for William Hughes, Sydney. Sold July 1875 to J S McFarlane, Sydney. Sold September 1875 to Auckland S N Co., Auckland New Zealand. At this juncture, she was fitted with passenger accomodation, 42 saloon and 35 in steerage. Re-measured she was 155 feet in length and tonnage increased to 478 gross & 358 net. Not too popular in New Zealand coastal service and sold April 1877 to J M Banks, F Bickle & J Paul, registered at Sydney. From June 1877 she 'replaced' the Kembla' on the Newcastle trade under obvious charter arrangement with the Newcastle S N Co., Sydney. Since, and under the agency of W Laidley & Co, she operated the Sydney - North Queensland routes in passenger-cargo capacity. Sold February 1881 to E Vickery where she serviced the south coast of New South Wales as a passenger carrying collier. August 1881 sold to G A Lloyd. Wrecked upon Bellambi Reef, New South Wales 23rd May 1882
DUKE OF EDINBURGH 368 gross tons, 244 net. Lbd: 166'3" x 25' x 10'3". Wooden auxilliary steamship originally built as a 2 masted schooner by George Dent at Jervis Bay, Sydney. First owner unknown. February 1873 acquired by E Vickery who had a 30 horsepower engine installed by Morts Dock & Engineering shipyard at Balmain, Sydney. From that date until mid 1874 was advertised as a passenger carrying mail steamer to Fiji. 1876 saw her on the Sydney - Townsville - Cooktown service, at times taking in other Queensland ports en route. April 1879 sold to C G Lessing, origin unknown. April 1880 sold to Dutch subjects, whereabouts unknown. Fate unknown


Wallsend Coal Company New Wallsend Coal Co Coal-cliff Land & Coal Mining Co Coal Cliff Collieries Ltd
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ALHAMBRA
1855-88
SUSANNAH CUTHBERT
1864-75
HERGA
1878-1928
HILDA
1878-93
UNDOLA
1909-18
ALHAMBRA (66394p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
HERGA image courtesy State Library New South Wales
ALHAMBRA 642 gross tons, 373 net. Lbd: 209'3' x 27'1" x 16'3". (63.8 x 8.3 metres) Iron screw steamship with 3 masts, built by Samuel Bros., Millwall London, 1855 for the Peninsula & Oriental Steam Navigation Co; reg. London. Single screw. Simple steam engine making 10 knots. December 1862 came under ownership of McMeckan, Blackwood & Co/Blue Emu Line with her tonnage increased to 766 gross and 497 net. As a passenger vessel, she ran on the Melbourne - New Zealand route, also to Adelaide, and for a while to Suva. Nipper & See acquired her in December 1882, July 1883 saw S Marsden of Sydney take ownership. April 1884 H Perdriau and later in November by A Wheeler Jnr. From about 1883 she became a collier, with her reportedly being under the auspices of the Wallsend Coal Company. She foundered seven miles east of Newcastle, after striking a derelict vessel, possibly the American J T Berry, near Port Stephens, NSW, June 30th 1888
SUSANNAH CUTHBERT 194 gross tons, 123 net. Lbd: 131'6" x 18'8" x 10'. Wooden steamship of 50 horsepower, rigged as a 3 masted schooner. Built Sydney for J Cuthbert and sold to the Clarence & New England S N Co in April 1865. As a passenger vessel holding steerage only accomodation, she was given a new deckhouse to billet first class voyagers in 1865. Her dimensions then read 194 gross and 161 net tons. Worked the Northern New South Wales river trades until sold in March 1874 to J Frazer (loosely the New Wallsend Coal Co) Sydney July 7th 1875 she was wrecked on Long Reef, near Manly Sydney
HERGA 221 gross tons. Lbd: 125'2" x 21' x 10'6". Built by Cunliffe and Dunlop of Port Glasgow for A Stuart of Sydney. Sold 1886 to H Robinson of Sydney. Coal-cliff Land and Coal Mining Co took ownership in 1890. Robert W Miller purchased the "Herga" in early 1921 for the Newcastle to Sydney "60 milers" coal shipping trade. Broken up in Sydney in 1928
UNDOLA 429 gross,135 net tons. Lbd 135' x 27'1" x 10'7". (41.14 x 8.27 x 3,26 metres) Steel hulled, single screw steamship, collier, Built at Paisley, Scotland, 1909. Registered Sydney, July 1910. Compounded engine. Although owned by Coal Cliff Collieries Ltd, the Undola carried coal for an organisation called "The Southern Coal Owners' Agency" for a great deal of her life. From when she entered service in February 1910 till June 1915 the ship was hired by the organisation for certain trips and payment was on the basis of the tonnage carried. From July 1915, the arrangement changed to one where the ship was chartered to the organisation for £150 per month. Serviced the southern coalfields to Sydney most of her short carrer, with occassional ventures north taking cargoes again to Sydney. Disappeared after leaving Bellambi for Sydney on 20 December 1918. The crew of thirteen were lost. No established reason for her sinking. She lies upright only one nautical mile off the northern headland of Garie Beach, Royal National Park, 14 nautical miles from Bellambi. Now a popular scuba dive
HILDA 222 gross,135 net tons. Lb: 125'2" x 21'1". Steel hulled, single screw steamship, collier, Built Cunliffe & Dunlop Port Glasgow, for Donald Lanarch, London . Compounded engine, 2 cylinders making 55 nhp. 1879 as ship and as Coalcliff Mining Co were owned Sir Alexander Stuart. From 1883 to 1885 he was Premier of New South Wales. He also owned a number of other colliers. Upon his death in 1886, Company Mine and assets owned by H Robinson. Later owned by Sir John Robertson (also a Premier of New South Wales) and Charles Cowper. In 1892 the mine and ships were sold to Ebenzer Vickery and then on sold to E Vickery and Sons. Regular service Port Kembla - Sydney with coal. Foundered in clear conditions when came to close to shore 20 July 1893


BELLAMBI COAL Co Ltd Sydney
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
WERFA
1883-1913
MARJORIE
1898-1929
BELLAMBI (1)
1908-52
BELLAMBI (11)
1909-54
WONIORA
1913-59
CURRAJONG image courtesy of Wollongong City Library
WERFA (gr000556) & MARJORIE (b36428) image courtesy State Library Victoria
WONIORA image courtesy State Library Victoria
WERFA 935 gross tons. Cargo-collier vessel built by Palmers at Willington Quay for unknown. Arrived Sydney 1898 for owners - Bellambi Coal Co. Hulked 1913, when registered Melbourne. Very little data known
MARJORIE 928 gross tons. Lb: 68.2 x 19.1 metres. Single screw. Triple expansion engine. Cargo-collier vessel built at Strand Slipway Monkwearmouth, Sunderland for SS Marjorie Ltd (Locket & Judkins), London. Owners Bellambi Coal Co, Sydney. Hulked 1929, sunk by gunfire off Sydney September 2 1951
BELLAMBI (1) 1,162 gross tons. Lb: 74.4 x 9.6 metres. Cargo vessel, collier built by Clyde Shipbuilding Co, Port Glasgow for this concern in 1908. Single screw, triple expansion engine. Sold 1919 to Navale de l'Oceanie and renamed Saint Joseph. Under four successive Noumea based owners since until sold 1938 to Moller Towages Ltd, Shanghai and renamed Josephine Moller. 24 December 1941 scuttled at Hong Kong; raised by Japanese and converted to cable layer. Renamed Sagami Maru. 1947 returned to Moller's and renamed Josephine Moller. 1951 sold to Great Northern Shipping Co renamed Plymouth Star. Wrecked Wenchow 6th July 1952 & broken up at Hong Kong October 1952
BELLAMBI (11) 956 gross tons. Lbd: 215'2" x 33'1" x 13'9". Collier built by Napier & Miller at Old Kilpatrick, Port Glasgow as the Five Islands for the Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Well known as a 'south-coaster' out of Port Kembla, but was also the last ship of this concern when they ceased shipowning in 1927. Transferred 1927 Mount Kembla Collieries Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Then 1927-54 Bellambi Coal Co Ltd., Sydney who renamed her Bellambi. Withdrawn from service and sold 1954 to Stride, Blackwattle Bay for demolition. Slowly stripped and bare hull scuttled outside Sydney Heads 1981
WONIORA 823 gross tons. Steel hulled steamship. First owners Belambi Coal Co. Under Holyman ownership from 1926 and worked Tasmania Devonport - Melbourne. Was fired upon off Port Phillip heads at onset of World War 2. She failed to stop on passing the fort at Point Nepean and was duly acted upon with a salvo fired across her bows. April 1958 laid up Appleton dock Melbourne and sold 1959 to for demolition at Hong Kong


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CURRAJONG
1875-1910
MALACHITE
1894-1928
SOUTH BULLI
1913-60
KIAMA
1902-38
CURRAJONG image courtesy Wollongong City Library
MALACHITE image courtesy State Library Victoria
SOUTH BULLI image as the Abersea (low resolution scan) courtesy Mr Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
CURRAJONG 603 gross tons. Lbd: 222'2" x 30'1" x 15'7". Iron twin screw steamship of 250 horsepower, schooner rigged with 3 masts as built by T Wingate & Co., Whiteinch, Glasgow. This vessel was to be named Marquis of Lorne, however prior to completion she was renamed the Victory. Purchased on the stocks by the Clarence & New England S.N. Co., Sydney and completed as the The Clarence. In 1883 Clarence & New England S.N. Co went broke and in March same year The Clarence was sold to the ASN Co and renamed Currajong. Laid up in 1887, sold to Mitchell and Woolcott-Waley in 1888 and converted to a collier. 1893 sold to the Bellambi Coal Company. Tuesday 8 March 1910 Sydney Harbour New South Wales, off Bradley's Head, she collided with the Wyreema and sank with loss of one life
MALACHITE 605 gross tons. Lb: 54.8 x 8.9 metres. Iron steamship, cargo only. Triple expansion engine. Builder - Scott Bowling, Glasgow. First owner - W Robertson, Glasgow. 1902 purchased by the Bellambi Coal Co., Sydney. 1915 purchased by Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). Always employed as a collier Newcastle to Sydney run. 1928 capsized at the Company wharf, Sydney, refloated and sold to H P Stacey, Sydney and there hulked July 1928
SOUTH BULLI 818 gross tons. Lb: 59.5 x 9.2 metres. Cargo vessel built as the South Bulli by Hall Russell, Aberdeen for the Bellambi Coal Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 9 knots. 1927 sold to Jones Bros Coal and renamed Abersea. Broken up at Adelaide July 1960

KIAMA 358 gross tons. Lb: 140'4" x 26'2". Cargo vessel, Cargo ship built by Mackie & Thomson Govan, Glasgow. Propulsion: steam compound 52nhp 560ihp Engines by McKie & Baxter, Govan. 10 knots. Owned by the Kiama Road Metal Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Employed in the carriage of blue metal to Sydney. 1911 Company and holdings taken over by the New South Wales State Government. Continued in that role until 1932 when purchased by Bellambi Coal Co Ltd, Sydney and employed in the transport of coal. 1938 hulked, given the ignoble name of C597A. Finally scrapped 1960 in Sydney


WALLARAH COAL Co, Sydney
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MUNMORAH
1934-49
TUGGERAH (1)
1912-1919
TUGGERAH (11)
1921-1956
KELLOE
1866-1902
MUNMORAH image (umpCAXMJV7E 303663) courtesy Australian War Memorial
TUGGERAH (1) naval blueprint only image available
TUGGERAH (11) image as the Oorama
KELLOE image (b45886) courtesy State Library Victoria
MUNMORAH 1273 gross tons. 1934-49 Steel hulled, single screw steamship, Collier, Built Leith Scotland, 1934 for Wallarah Coal Co, Sydney. Length 231 ft. Maintained a regular run on the Newcastle to Catherine Hill Bay. With the usual south coast vessel, the ss Bellambi in Cockatoo Dock being overhauled, the Munmorah under Captain K Knutsen along with eighteen crew was seconded to pick up a 1,450 tonne load of coal from the now long gone South Bulli jetty at Bellambi. One day later, ran on to Bellambi Reef, New South Wales, 18 May 1949. Hopes were held that she could be refloated however after a couple of days heavy seas battered her and she could not be saved. Sold for salvage
TUGGERAH (1) 749 gross, 336 net tons. Lbd: 186'3" x 28'9" x 12'6". Steel hulled, single screw steamship, collier, Clyde Ship Building and Engineering Company Ltd at Port Glasgow, Scotland for the Wallarah Coal Company; reg. Sydney, 1912. Triple expansion engine with the steam provided by two Scotch boilers. Arrived Sydney heads 23 December 1912. Captain M’Conachie. Placed upon the 'sixty miler' run. Turned turtle and sank after shipping a heavy sea a few miles south of Port Hacking, New South Wales, off Marley Beach, 17 May 1919. Six crew including the captain, Chief Officer and Chief Engineer were lost; eleven survived and landed on Cronulla Beach. Wrecksite located in the early 1970s, in 165 ft off the northern headland of Wattamolla Beach. Only the stern of the wreck is visible, badly broken up but with its boiler exposed. A popular dive
TUGGERAH (11) 1,051 tons. Lbd: 210'4" x 33'2" x 12'9". Steel steamship built Fullerton & Co., Paisley as the Oorama for the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. Sold June 1949 renamed Tuggerah by Wallarah Coal Co. Sold January 1956 to Cambray Prince SS Co Hong Kong renamed Brenda. Scrapped Hong Kong 1956
KELLOE iron hulled collier built by J. Laing in Sunderland, UK for J. Forster of London. It was launched in either April or August 1866 (the records say both). The Kelloe displaced 500 tons and was almost 50 metres long and 8 metres wide. A single screw steam ship powered by a 70hp two cylinder compound engine built by G. Clark at Sunderland, its first regular destination was Hamburg, Germany. It appears that the Kelloe was named after the small town of Kelloe, near Durham City. This is located south of Newcastle-on-Tyne. Kelloe was a coal mining town and there were eight small mines situated around the town. In the early 1870s the Kelloe was sold to J.D. Hill and in about 1876 it was sold again to J. Young, Ehlers and Co. The Kelloe remained in the UK, its home port being London. In early 1891 the Kelloe was purchased by the Wallarah Coal Co. for use in conjunction with its Australian coal mines. On 23 April 1891 the Kelloe left London under the command of Captain Hagan. It arrived in her new home port of Sydney on 9 July and started its regular run from Catherine Hill Bay on the southern outskirts of Newcastle to Sydney. It also made some journeys from the southern coalfields to Sydney and Brisbane. On 11 February 1893 the Kelloe was proceeding down Sydney Harbour when she collided with HMS Ringarooma. She suffered some damage to the bow area and the master, Captain George F. Mason was suspended for three months. The Kelloe appears to have been incident free for the next nine years. At about 10 pm on 12 May 1902, the Kelloe left the South Bulli jetty on the southern coalfields. She had a full load of coal aboard, bound for Sydney with Captain Hector Boyle as master. Just over two hours later, the wooden steamer SS Dunmore left Sydney for Shellharbour (south of Wollongong) under the command of Neils Hanson to load blue metal. The Dunmore was in its 12th year of incident free service but the early hours of 13 May 1902 would change that luck. At about 1.30 am in almost perfect conditions to the immediate north of Botany Bay, the two vessels approached each other. On the Kelloe, Captain Boyle was in his cabin changing clothes. Captain Hanson saw the Kelloe and decided that the lights showed that the two would comfortably pass each other, the Dunmore to the seaward side of the Kelloe. To make certain, the Dunmore turned slightly to port. Suddenly, the Kelloe made a turn to starboard and a collision was imminent. Captain Boyle ordered full reverse and blew his whistle. Moments later, the Dunmore rammed the Kelloe's starboard side. As soon as Captain Boyle reached the Kelloe's bridge he "realised that the steamer was doomed". The Dunmore lowered one of its boats to help the Kelloe but she was also in trouble. Captain Boyle ordered the Kelloe to be abandoned and her boat was put in the water. All 15 crew climbed aboard and were soon met by the Dunmore's boat. Within 15 minutes, the Kelloe had sunk, stern first, her engine still running. The Kelloe's crew, taken on board the Dunmore, were not yet really saved as she herself was in a bad situation. Water was streaming in through the damaged bow, slowed a bit by a tarpaulin placed over the hole. Captain Hanson decided to take the Dunmore into Botany Bay and he beached the ship off Kurnell. The next morning, the crew of the Kelloe were taken over to the Botany Pier and caught a tram into Sydney. Temporary repairs to the Dunmore were carried out and on 16 May she returned to Sydney under her own power. However, the Dunmore was now on the road towards an accident in January 1909 when she ran down a Navy boat killing 15 Navy crew. This was the greatest maritime disaster to happen on Sydney Harbour to that time. In April 1914 the Dunmore was to again strike trouble when she collided with ss Kiama at Sydney Heads and was driven up on Lady Bay Beach where she remained for three days. In September 1915 the Dunmore ran aground at Bradleys Head and in February 1918 she collided with the tug Champion off Botany Bay. The Dunmore was surely not one of the luckiest vessels around. An inquiry found that the Second Officer of the Kelloe, George Alstrope, was at fault for not keeping a proper lookout


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
WALLARAH (1)
1900-14
WALLARAH (11)
1914-64
WALLARAH (111)
1952-74
BEULAH
1908-45
HIMATANGI
1911-49
WALLARAH (1) image (LAK00095) courtesy Lake Macquarie City Library. -Seen here aground at Catherine Bay
WALLARAH (11) image (304081) courtesy Australian War Memorial
BEULAH image via Michael MacFayden's website per Lindsay Howard-Smith with thanks
HIMATANGI image shown as the Coolebar
WALLARAH (1) 633 gross tons. Lb: 55.8 x 8.5 metres. Cargo vessel built as the Hamm by Williamson at Workington, England Yard No: 165. Owner as Completed: D.Fuhrmann, Hamburg. Single screw. Triple expansion engine. Service speed 8.5 knots. Sold 1902 Wallarah Coal Co Ltd, New South Wales and renamed Wallarah. Wrecked Catherine Hill Bay, New South Wales, 16 April 1914
WALLARAH (11) 815 gross tons. Length: 196'5" x 29'9''. (59.9 x 9.1 metres). Cargo ship built by Clyde Shipbuilding Co., Port Glasgow for the Wallarah Coal Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Single screw, triple expansion engine. Sold to Eastern China Navigation Co and renamed Tung Hwa in 1947. Deleted from register 1964
WALLARAH (111) 1448 gross tons,1585 net. Lb 73.3 x 11.6 metres. Cargo ship built by Austin, Wear Dock for Wallarah Coal Co Ltd, Sydney. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Sold 1971 to E Savoie, Noumea and renamed Sorana Del Mar. Capsized in tow 12 nm off Cape Brett, New Zealand 5 July 1974
BEULAH 932 gross tons. Lbd: 211' x 30'5". Cargo steamship built by Clyde Shipbuilding Company Port Glasgow, Yard No 281 for the Wallarah Coal Co Ltd. Propulsion: steam, triple expansion. Launched: Monday, 31 August 1908. Sold 1935 to Fan Shien Ho, Tsingtao and renamed Min Ho. 1037 of China Import & Export Lumber Co., Shanghai ship renamed to Hsin Tse Ang Tah. Captured and renamed by Japanese Government during 1941-42 to Shintai Maru. Bombed & sunk - 18th July 1945 by US aircraft at 34.25N/130.27E (Northwest of Tsunoshima)
HIMATANGI 479 gross tons. Lbd: 150'3" x 30' x 8'7". Built as the Coolebar by Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, for North Coast S N Co, New South Wales. Serviced their Northern New South Wales rivers' trade to Sydney. Sold to Holm & Co., Wellington New Zealand and renamed Himatangi in 1929/30. 1931 sold to Anchor Shipping & Foundry Co., Nelson New Zealand. 1936 Sold to Wallarah Colliery of Sydney after being laid up in Wellington since 1931. Sold 1936 to Cam & Sons, Sydney. 1938 sold to North Coast S N Co., Sydney and given original name again. 1939 requisitioned by the Australian Government and named HMAS Coolebar for 1939-45 period. Served as a minesweeper 1939 and as stores carrier 1944. 1946 of the Australian Government. Sold 1948 to Fu Chan, of Canton and renamed East River. Sank at her moorings in Newcastle harbour, 29 September 1949. She was raised in pieces and finally broken up in 1958


NEWCASTLE-WALLSEND Coal Co., Sydney
Ed Ed Ed
SAXONIA
1856-98
TASMANIA
1853-1904
WALLSEND
1899-1934
WALLSEND image (P02929) courtesy Wollongong City Library
SAXONIA 357 gross tons, 243 net. Lbd: 162'4" x 24'3" x 13'1". Iron steamship, 30 horsepower rigged as a 3 masted schooner and built by M Samuelson & Co., Hull England. Launched as the Columbia later renamed Sirius in 1860 by the General Steam Navigation Co., of London. Built for trade between England and Holland, and running to Mauritius from 1860 on. Sent to Australia since with a view to sell her, and she was purchased by ASN Co December 1865 after she had spent much of 1864 anchored in Hobsons Bay Victoria. As a passenger ship, she lasted four years until sold November 1869 to W Summerbell, and converted into a collier. Sold November 1896 to the Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Co. Wrecked 17th May 1898 on Bellambi Reef, New South Wales
TASMANIA 515 gross tons, 285 net. Lbd: 164'5" x 25' x 12'7". Iron steamship built by Smith & Roger, Glasgow for the Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart. Held a 2 cylinder compounded engine producing 68 horsepower. First vessel owned by the Tasmanian Steamship Co Pty Ltd, Hobart. Designed for the Hobart - Melbourne service as a passenger vessel. Ran her first trip from Hobart to Sydney in 1854 when the company's 'Articles of Association' were changed allowing greater scope of transit outside of Hobart. Maintained that service until 1871 when sold to W Summerbell, Sydney. Used mostly as a collier from that time, she underwent a refitting in 1880 where her accomodation was removed, her engine compounded at Mort's Dock, Sydney to produce 80 horsepower and her new dimensions read: 390 gross tons, 256 net with Lbd: 171'4" x 24'6" x 12'6". November 1896 sold to Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Co. Broken up in Sydney, register closed 1904
WALLSEND 518 gross tons. Lb: 165 x 27 feet. (50.4 x 7.4 metres) Single screw. Compounded engine 2 cylinders. Cargo Steamship. Designed by James Pollock, London (Project No 88) in 1898. Launched: Monday, 19 June 1899. Built, completed 1899 by Murdoch & Murray Port Glasgow. Yard No 165. Owner History: Newcastle Wallsend Coal Co, Sydney New South Wales. 1905 Chartered to Burns Philp & Co, Sydney. 1913 sold to E & O Warburton, Sydney New South Wales. 1920 Australian Steamships Pty (Howard Smith), Sydney. Hulked 1934. Scuttled off Sydney Heads 07 February 1935


William Summerbell, Sydney
purchased 2nd hand vessels and converted same into colliers. Registered at Sydney
Ed Ed Ed Ed
EAGLE
c 1849-69
CITY OF HOBART
1853-77
MORPETH
1861-91
PATERSON
1854-74
CITY OF HOBART image courtesy State Library Tasmania
EAGLE 244 gross tons,144 net. Lbs: 150' x 18'1" x 10'4". Wooden paddle steamer built 1849 by Thomas Chowne, Pyrmont Sydney. With two side lever engines from the old paddle steamer James Watt. Of 80 horsepower. As a passenger - cargo vessel, she plied Hunter River to Moreton Bay and Sydney. Became of the ASN Co fleet with the name change of 1851. 1858 saw her altered to screw propulsion and fitted with an oscillating engine taken from the fleets wooden vessel, City of Melbourne. Her new dimensions read - 216 gross tons, 147 net. Lbd: 151' x 19'4" x 10'2". November 1866 chartered by the South Australian Government to bring back settlers from Escape Cliffs, Northern Territory after that attempted colony failed. Sold October 1869 to Edye Manning who placed her in February 1870 on a run to Noumea under contract, making her the first steamer to make that run from Sydney. Was later employed on the northern rivers of News South Wales run as well as becoming familiar on the Illawarra service. Also saw Melbourne many times on her travels. 1877 sold to W Summerbell who utilised her as a collier. 1890 register closed upon her being converted into a wharf at Sydney
CITY OF HOBART 616 gross tons, 439 net. Lbd: 184'2" x 24'7" x 18'6". Iron steamship built by T Wingate & Co., Whiteinch Glasgow, 1853 for Tasmanian S N Co. Originally 3 masted barque-rigged vessel of two funnels equiped with a 2 cylinder enginer producing 100 horsepower. Ran a passenger - cargo service between Victoria and Hobart, Tasmania. Steamed to Port Curtis Queensland from Melbourne with prospectors for the gold fields. Operated a mail service between Melbourne and New Zealand during the Otago goldrushes. Re-engined at Morts Dock, Sydney during 1865 and ran Melbourne to Sydney from that year on. Sold March 1875 to W Summerbell and converted into a collier. Whilst on a voyage from Melbourne to Sydney, her screw shaft broke and water penetrated her holds; abandoned, sank, about sixty nautical miles north east of Wilsons Promontory 25th July 1877
MORPETH 527 gross tons, 360 net. Lbd: 212'9" x 25'4" x 12'8". Iron paddle steamer built by Mitchell & Co., Low Walker on Tyne for the Hunter River New S N Co. 2 funnels, 2 cylinder engine producing 185 horsepower. Designed as a passenger vessel for the Hunter River trade until sold October 1888 to W Summerbell, who was her former Captain, and converted into a collier. Sold April 1891 to G S Power. Converted into a hulk that year, fate unknown
PATERSON 326 gross tons, 219 net. Lbd: 155' x 20'8" x 10'2". Iron Paddle steamer of 60 horsepower, 2 decks and schooner rigged built by by Scott & Co., Greenock Glasgow for Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Worked the Sydney - Hunter river trades as a passenger vessel until sold in July 1871 to William Summerbell & Others. Here then she was converted into a collier. Sold November 1872 to A Kennedy who refitted her back into passenger status with tonnage increase to 410 gross and 260 net. Her Lbd became 156'8" x 23'2" x 10'7". Sold January 1874 to John Billings, registered Wellington New Zealand. July 13th 1874 wrecked at the Waitara River entrance, New Zealand


Ed Ed Ed
LADY BOWEN
1864-94
TASMANIA
1853-1904
YARRA YARRA
1851-77
TASMANIA image (b41878) courtesyState Library Victoria
LADY BOWEN 527 gross tons, 425 net. Lbd: 210'5" x 25'7" x 11'5". Iron Paddle steamer, 2 cylinder oscillating 150 horsepower. 2 masts brigantine rigged. Built by A & J Inglis Glasgow for the Queensland S N Co's Sydney - Brisbane passenger trade. Of ASN Co as at 1868. December 1875 lengthened to 228'2" x 25'7" x 11'5". Tonnage became 702 gross and 442 net. Worked many of the Company's routes including the Hunter River. December 1882 sold to the Hunter River New S N Co. Sold again in October 1888 to W Summerbell and finally owned by B Corrigan as at January 1889. October 1889, she was converted into a fully rigged 4 masted schooner and was wrecked near Cardwell Queensland on Kennedy Shoal August 19th 1894
TASMANIA 515 gross tons, 285 net. Lbd: 164'5" x 25' x 12'7". Iron steamship built by Smith & Roger, Glasgow for the Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart. Held a 2 cylinder compounded engine producing 68 horsepower. First vessel owned by this concern. Designed for the Hobart - Melbourne service as a passenger vessel. Ran her first trip from Hobart to Sydney in 1854 when the company's 'Articles of Association' were changed allowing greater scope of transit outside of Hobart. Maintained that service until 1871 when sold to W Summerbell, Sydney. Used mostly as a collier from that time, she underwent a refitting in 1880 where her accomodation was removed, her engine compounded at Mort's Dock, Sydney to produce 80 horsepower and her new dimensions read: 390 gross tons, 256 net with Lbd: 171'4" x 24'6" x 12'6". November 1896 sold to Newcastle-Wallsend Coal Co. Broken up in Sydney, register closed 1904
YARRA YARRA 337 tons. Lbd: 166'5" x 25' x 13'. Iron paddle steamer built by W Denny and Bros., Dumbarton,Scotland. 1862 lengthened to be 183'5" x 30' x 11'7" with tonnage as 555 gross. As a passenger - cargo vessel, was placed on the Sydney - Melbourne trade route until 1857 when moved to the Brisbane run. 1971 became familiar to the Grafton trade. Later was converted to collier capacity and sold to W Summerbell in November 1974. Lost when overwhelmed by several big seas on Oyster Bank, Newcastle, 15 July 1877. All hands, numbering eighteen, were lost. The National Shipwreck Society of N.S.W. was formed as a result of this wreck


NORTH ILLAWARRA Coal Company, Sydney
disposed of all three ships by 1890
Ed Ed Ed
WARATAH
1874-87
GOVERNOR BLACKALL
1871-1910
TIMARU
1883-1922
WARATAH 425 gross tons. Lb: 48.8 x 7.3 metres. Iron hulled, single screw cargo vessel built by Hall Russell, Aberdeen for C Smith, Sydney New South Wales. Held compounded engine. Service speen unknown. Foundered June 1887 200 yards off the jetty at Hicks Point North Bulli whilst under charter to North Illawarra Coal Co
GOVERNOR BLACKALL 487 gross tons. Lbd: 194'4" x 23'8" x 15'6". Iron steamship, 2 masts schooner rigged built by Mort's Dock & Engineering Co., Balmain Sydney. Originally ordered by the Queensland Government, however contract cancelled and purchased in 1872 by ASN Co. 1887 of AUSN Co. Sold June 1888 to North Illawarra Coal Mining Co. September 1890 owned by Moore & Austin. December 1896 G Adams. December 1898 W J Featherstone. Hulked Sydney December 1910 and scuttled 16th July 1931 off Sydney Heads
TIMARU 459 gross tons. Lbd: 150' x 27' x 10'6". Iron steamship of 70 horsepower, three masts as built at Sunderland, England for unknown New Zealand owners. Several owners since, again unknown March 1889 of the North Illawarra Coal Co, and disposed of in 1890. Was of the obscure concern known as Brisbane & Clarence Rivers S N Co., and sold to Patrick Steamship Co Ltd. Sold from that concern to the North Coast S N Co., Sydney during July 1922. Sold December 1922 to Adelaide interests and hulked soon after


Minmi Colliery Co Ltd., Owner - R Napier C M Poole Mount Pleasant Coal & Iron Mining Co., Sydney
Ed Ed Ed
BUNGAREE
1861-1920
BALCLUTHA
1860-81
PALMERSTON
1878-1929
BALCLUTHA image (128529p) courtesy State Library Queensland
BUNGAREE 163 gross tons, 85 net. Lbd: 121'5" x 22'5" x 9'4'. Iron Paddle steamer/Steam Tug, schooner rigged built by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow. Designed as a tug for the Newcastle Australia trade, with side lever paddles and 150 horsepower (grasshopper) steam engine. Possibly used as limited capacity passenger vessel early upon her arrival. Sold March 1963 to R Napier (Minmi Colliery Co Ltd ). June 1964 sold to G R Dibbs. September 1864 sold to Alex Brown and sunk one year later, 5th October 1865 in the Hunter River after a collision with the City of Newcastle. Whilst underwater, sold to the Newcastle Co-Operative Tug Co., salvaged and served until 1978 when sold to J & A Brown, Newcastle. Laid up at Hexham during the 1920's, converted into a lighter and serviced the area until sold to P Callen 1933. Demolished at Newcastle for scrap 1933-5
BALCLUTHA Originally 433 gross tons, 1868 increased to 456 gross tons, 262 net. Lbd: 202'1" x23'3" x 13'3". Iron passenger steamship built by Caird & Co., Greenock Scotland for R Little (& possible partners) as well as part owner and skipper, Captain F H Trouton in replacing the lost 'Admella'. Worked Port Adelaide to Albany on a mail contract for the South Australian Government, during a climate of 'rate-war' between the major players of the era. Lost the mail contract in 1861 and transferred to the Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney run in direct oppostion to ASN Co., Sydney. Switched to the Sydney - Brisbane route which prompted ASN Co to purchase her outright. The Captain Trouton continued his duty and rose through ASN Company ranks eventually attaining General Manager status. Meanwhile the Balclutha served all of this concerns coastal passenger routes including travel to Noumea on behalf of the Montifiore Company from 1873. Sold June 1881 to C M Poole and was lost with a loss of 22 hands when travelling from Sydney to Melbourne, as a collier October 1881. She was last seen in the vicinity of Gabo Island, Victoria
PALMERSTON 430 gross tons. Lbd: 175'3" x 25'. Cargo vessel, steamship built as the Rook by J & G Thomson Clydebank, Glasgow. Propulsion: compound direct acting inverted 20"38" stroke 28" 70hp, Engines by shipbuilder. Launched: Tuesday, 04 June 1878. Owner History: G & J Burns, Glasgow. 1880 Napier & Co., Glasgow. 1883 C Barrie, Sydney. 1884 Goverment of South Australia. 1887 J Darling Jnr., Port Adelaide. 1889 Mount Pleasant Coal & Iron Mining Co., Sydney. 1929 R J Butler, Sydney. Refitted as a trawler in 1929 and sank after collision with trawler Millimumul off Jervis Bay, New South Wales 29th May 1929


A Sneddon, Sydney
Balmain Line of Steamers
...........................
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BALMAIN
1883-1904
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN
1876-1909



SOUTH AUSTRALIAN image courtesy State Library Victoria
BALMAIN 604 gross tons, 377 net. Lbd: 186' x 27'1" x 10'8". Steel steamship built by Dobie & Co., Glasgow for W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Sydney. Held a compounded engine producing 85 horsepower, 2 single ended coal fired boilers, 90 psi as constructed by James Jack & Co., Liverpool. Designed with passenger carrying capacity, she serviced the Melbourne and Sydney run as well as travelling as far as Fremantle and Queensland on occassion. August 1892 sold to A Sneddon, Sydney who utilised her as a collier with passenger accomodation, servicing Sydney - Newcastle. Sneddon embraced the title 'Balmain Line of Steamers' and offered reduced fares in enticing passengers. Sold October 1904 to B Einerson & Partner, who converted her into a hulk. Sold in 1906 to Scott Fell Shipping Co., fate unknown
SOUTH AUSTRALIAN 656 gross tons, 436 net. Lbd: 225' x 26'3" x 15'. Sister ship Victorian Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson & Co., Meadowside Glasgow as a passenger vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide for their Adelaide - Melbourne passenger trade. Compounded engine producing 436 horsepower. 1878 tonnage increased to 716 gross and capable of carrying 170 passengers. She was their first regular service steamer to Sydney and became their first steamer to visit Brisbane. Sold February 1898 to A Sneddon, Sydney who converted her into a collier with limited passenger capacity. Chartered out to William Rankin of the Howard Colliery for 3 months early 1899. December 1904 sold to Mutual Shipping Co Ltd. Driven ashore and abandoned on Wallis Island (Tonga) in 1909. She was eventually salvaged and employed as a hulk at Levuka, Fiji until blown ashore and totally wrecked in 1914
3


James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd, Sydney (James and David)
Ed Ed Ed Ed
HELEN NICOLL
1882-1932
GALAVA
1906-27
ABERSEA
1913-60
DANDENONG
1946-71
DANDENONG image courtesy State Library Victoria
ABERSEA image (low resolution scan) courtesy Mr Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
HELEN NICOLL (gr000729) image courtesy State Library Victoria
GALAVA image (d1_25283r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
HELEN NICOLL 384 gross tons, 246 net. Lbd: 157' x 22' x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for G W Nicoll, Brisbane. Worked on the North Coast of New South Wales in passenger-cargo capacity and remained on that run when sold to John See, Sydney in July 1882. Of North Coast S N Co upon formation in December 1891. August 1893 sold to Anton Schlink of Port Adelaide who placed her on the South Australian run, particularly that State's west coast ports. Extended to Esperance, Western Australia with the advent of gold discoveries and taking in Albany as another port of call. Sold 1896 to A L Harrold and sold yet again in 1897 to J Darling Jnr, who kept her on the South Australia - West Australia trade route. 1901 saw her change ownership again, this time to to James Jones of Sydney, later Jones Bros., Coal Co Ltd., seeing her as a collier only. Demolished with register closed 1932
GALAVA 400 gross tons. Lb: 141'1" x 23'9". (43.1 x 7.3 metres) Cargo vessel built and owned by R.Williamson & Son, Workington, England. Single screw, steel hull. Single boiler powering a two cylinder compound stream engine. Had several owner changes up to the unrecorded date when she came under ownership of Jones Bros Coal. Worked the coastal run from Catherine Hill Bay to Sydney as a collier. 8 February 1927 foundered off Terrigal, New South Wales after severe leakage from hull plates forward near the bow. Seven lives lost, five survivors. Info sourced from Miramar Ship Index and Michael McFayden Dive website - http://www.michaelmcfadyenscuba.com"/
ABERSEA 818 gross tons. Lb: 59.5 x 9.2 metres. Cargo vessel built as the South Bulli by Hall Russell, Aberdeen for the Bellambi Coal Co Ltd, Sydney New South Wales. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 9 knots. 1927 sold to Jones Bros Coal and renamed Abersea. Broken up at Adelaide July 1960
DANDENONG 2,350 gross tons. 1,123 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". Machinery: 4 cylinder Lentz-type compound steam engine. Coal fired. General cargo steamship built by BHP Whyalla for the Australian Government with MacDonald Hamilton & Co., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. 1956 converted to burn oil. 1957 transferred to the ANL. 1960 sold to Jones Bros Coal Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Koorine.1964 sold to Leechco Steamship Co SA Panama and renamed Lady of Victoria. 1969 sold to Hong Kong Ocean Shipping Co Ltd of Somali Republic and renamed Sha Chau. November 1971 scrapped Kaohsiung


J L (Henry) Simpson & Sons (Black Diamond Line). Adelaide
Long history with coal and colliers, commencing with sail only vessels and taking on various partnerships leading up to the formation of this concern as named. Owned only 'four' steamships
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
KARAWEERA
1882-1902
RIDGE PARK
1878-81
BIRKSGATE
1882-1907
TENTERDEN
1883-93
KARAWEERA image courtesy State Library Victoria
BIRKSGATE image (a636507r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
RIDGE PARK images and added data coutesy heritage.vic.gov.au
KARAWEERA 1,477 gross tons, 929 net. Lbd: 250' x 35'1" x 17'6". Iron steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Blyth. Of compounded inverted engine = 170hp. Owned by R Harrold & partners, Port Adelaide. Designed as a coal carrier however sported 157 passenger capability. Serviced the Newcastle - South Australia run. June 1884 South Australian Coal & Co & 'partners'. From this time passengers were probably not taken. September 1886 J L (Henry) Simpson & Sons (Black Diamond Line). June 1895 A L Harrold & partners. December 1896 Adelaide Steamship Co. Broke her back when stranded on Central Island in the Fitzroy River, at Rockhampton, Queensland, 2nd July 1902. Sketch by Allen C Green
RIDGE PARK 969 gross tons, 618 net. Lbd: 214' x 31' x 15'5". Iron steamship, single screw as built by S P Austin & Co, Sunderland for Sir Thomas Elder. Engine producing 99 nominal horsepower. 4 cemented bulkheads. Iron decked. Raised quarter deck 78ft. Bridge Deck 40ft. Fore Deck 20ft. Double bottom aft 73ft, double bottom fore 102ft. Foreward and aft peak tanks. Anchors and chains proofed. July 1879 owned by Henry Simpson & Sons. Frequented Port Adelaide - Newcastle carry passengers outwards and on the return to Port Adelaide, sometimes taking paying fares via Sydney - Launceston on her return to Port Adelaide. She was predominantly a collier. Wrecked on 10th February 1881 in Beware Bay near Cape Comran, Victoria when bound for Newcastle, New South Wales from Adelaide with a cargo of Brandy, wine, flour. Struck the north western side of Beware Reef. The captain and crew took to the lifeboat and made for Gabo Island, which they reached the following day. They were later rescued by the SS Wentworth and taken to Sydney. The Ridge Park remained on the rocks for just over a month until a series of severe southerly gales washed the wreck into deeper water. Most of the cargo was salvaged. A Marine Board of Inquiry found that Captain Heslop and Chief Officer Peake had been inattentive to their duties while navigating close to the coast. Despite submitting letters in their defence both had their certificates suspended for three months. No lives lost
BIRKSGATE 1,458 gross tons, 916 net. Lbd: 255' x 33' x 21'7". Iron steamship, 2 masts and schooner rigged with compounded engine of 163 horsepower. Built by D & W Henderson, Patrick, Glasgow for H Simpson & Co (Black Diamond Line) registered Port Adelaide. Designed as a passenger-collier vessel running between South Australia and Newcastle, taking in Launceston en route. June 1884 acquired by ASN Co and of AUSN Co April 1887. 1897 purportedly conveyed passengers from Port Adelaide to the New Guinea goldfields. Sold July 1904 to Y Kensuke, Tokyo and renamed Saito Maru. Went missing, failed to arrive at Moji on a voyage from Chinnampo April 1907
TENTERDEN 1,339 gross tons, 867 net. Lbd: 246'5" x 33'5" x 19'9". Iron steamship, 2 masted schooner rigged built by Campbell, McIntosh & Bowstead, Spotswood-on-Tyne for H Simpson & Co (Black Diamond Line) registered Port Adelaide. Designed as a collier vessel with limited passenger capacity working between South Australia and Newcastle, taking in Sydney and/or Launceston on the return journey. Was so popular her passenger accomodation was increased at Mort's Dockyard, Sydney during 1883. June 1884 acquired by ASN Co and of AUSN Co April 1887. Early 1890's travelled further to the Western Australia ports during the goldrush years. Was under charter to McIwraith McEacharn when she was wrecked at MacDonnell Bay, South Australia on 23rd December 1893


OSBORNE WALLSEND Co, New South Wales SYDNEY COAL Co, New South Wales
actually sunk a mine at Balmain, Sydney
Ed Ed Ed Ed
KURRARA
1888-1929
....................
YULOO
1910-29
....................
No images available
KURRARA 386 gross tons. ON89493 Iron hulled cargo vessel built by J & K Smit, Kinderdijk, Netherlands for J Osborne. The first vessel loaded at The Southern Coal Company’s jetty erected at Port Kembla was the Osborne Wallsend Company’s steamer SS Kurrara on Thursday 7 November 1889. Having already shipped a part load at Wollongong, the vessel proceeded to the new jetty and was topped up with 140 tons of Corrimal coal as a test of the new jetty. In 1889 the Southern Coal Company was producing approximately 250 tons of high grade coke from its twenty coke ovens per week, the majority being shipped directly to Adelaide for transport to Broken Hill and Silverton for silver smelting purposes. 1925 converted into a tug. March 1928 sold to M Leventhal, registered Sydney and renamed East Star. 1929 converted into a fishing trawler. Register closed March 1936 'broken up' but became storeship for timber in Port Stephens and reportedly abandoned in ' The duckhole' at Port Stephens

YULOO 407 tons. Length 145 feet. (Lb: 44.2 x 7.3 metres). ON128809. Steel single screw steamship, built as the Teeswood by Harkess, Middlesborough Great Britain, in 1910 for Meteor Steamship Co Ltd (Constantine & Donking), Middlesborough. Single screw, compounded engine. 1912 owned by Sydney Coal Co, registered March at Sydney. 1920 purchased by W H Smith. 1929 sold to H P Stacey, Sydney. Ended her days in the ‘disposal area’ off Sydney, 14 November 1932



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved