FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 



Vessels listed this page

Abel Tasman (1)
Abel Tasman (11)
Adderley Sleigh
Arthur Phillip
Asphodel
Bulga
Cape Leeuwin
Cape Otway
Dampier
Eastern Queen
Eskdale
Ethel Sleigh
Francis Drake
Gervaise Sleigh
George Anson
Hamilton Sleigh
Harold Sleigh
James Cook (1)
James Cook (11)
John Hunter
Marco Polo
Marion Sleigh (1)Marion Sleigh (11)
Matthew Flinders (1)
Matthew Flinders (11)
Mintaro
Oceana
Ouraka
Papanui
Victoria
War Spray
William Dampier


Fleet Lists

Main Directory
Vessels A - Z


Links

Contact Us

Home Page

FLOTILLA-AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


H C SLEIGH
Melbourne

Ed


Harold Crofton SLEIGH was intially involved in barge traffic on the Murray and Darling Rivers since he first arrived upon colonial shores in 1888
H C SLEIGH, Melbourne founded 1895 with chartered tonnage, having won a Western Australian Government Railway coal contract in supplying to Fremantle, coal from Newcastle, New South Wales.
Harold C Sleigh began as a shipowner 1898 with a subsidiary company 'Australian Transport Co'., in the ordering and construction of the steamships Cape Leeuwin & Cape Otway

Moved in and out of Shipping ownership in a seemingly whimsical style
Activities diversified with petrol being the mainstay. Was first motor fuel interest to introduce 'kerbside' fuel pumps in Australia. Became "Golden Fleece" as motor spirit importer and Fuel Supplier wholly Australian. In 1933 founder H C Sleigh died and Hamilton Moreton Sleigh became Chairman and chief executive.
Hamilton Moreton Sleigh was born at South Yarra, Melbourne 1896
Set about expanding operations creating a wholly owned subsidiary firm, H C S Coasters Pty Ltd., and three ships were bought for the trans-Tasman timber trade.
H C Sleigh became a public company in 1947.
The Singapore Navigation Co. Ltd, another subsidiary, took delivery in 1952 of an ocean-going tanker, the Harold Sleigh. Further oil carriers were acquired
In the 1950s the parent company introduced modern, 'one brand only', drive-in service stations, began selling better quality petrol, built additional ocean terminals moved to new offices in Melbourne, and took over Purr Pull Oil Pty Ltd in New South Wales and Queensland
Sleigh's other business interests included directorships of
Amalgamated Petroleum N.L., Associated Australian Oilfields N L
Australian Lubricating Oil Refinery Ltd, Botany Bay Tanker Co. (Australia) Pty Ltd,
Flinders Shipping Co. Pty Ltd, Australian & Eastern Insurance Co Ltd
Bath Holdings Ltd, Derby Holdings Ltd and Petersville Australia Ltd

He was President (1961-69) of the Australian Hospital Association and vice-president of the Royal Melbourne Hospital
For his services in Melbourne as honorary consul for Finland, he was appointed to the Order of the White Rose and the Order of the Lion of Finland.
The doyen of the Australian petroleum industry, he was knighted in 1970 and retired in favour of his son Peter in June 1975.

Also co-created in partnership with John Swire the Dominion Far East Line

Quite separately, Abel Tasman Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Melbourne was formed in 1972 to take over assets of H C Sleigh Ltd, Melbourne. The motorship Abel Tasman was the only vessel registered under this Company Name. This later became a fully owned subsidiary company of the Union Steamship Co Ltd., of New Zealand until its sale in 1975
H C Sleigh also had subsidiary Company, in partnership with Caltex Oil, known as The Australian Tanker Company, managing the traditional Australian explorer named vessels, 'Arthur Phillip' and 'John Hunter'. Both were oil tankers and joined by another oil tanker - 'William Dampier' in 1980. This subsidiary concern then became known as Botany Bay Tanker Co, a joint concern with Caltex and Total Oil Companies
1981 Caltex bought out the petrol marketing of H C SLEIGH
I believe this as the final chapter of H C Sleigh from it's concept in 1898 until 1981. Owing to diversity of trade practice and innovation in the fuel industry as 'Golden Fleece' greater recognition of this Australian 'pioneer' concern is most deserved

Sleigh pronounced as 'Slee'




The fleet listed on this page is probably incomplete, as information is scarce and rarely documented. H C Sleigh held many subsidiaries offshore thus making the pursuit of fleet accuracy even more daunting. As more is learnt so too will this page be added to

Vessels listed in chronological order
except

Dominion Far East Line
listed bottom of webpage


ESKDALE
1893-1931
ASPHODEL
1890-1903
No images available
ESKDALE 2,996 gross tons, 1,926 net. Lbd: 320' x 42'1" x 20'9". (97.5 x 12.8 metres) Steel steamship built by C Connell & Co., Glasgow for Robert Mackill & Co., Glasgow. Cargo vessel powered by a triple expansion 3 cylinder engine producing 280 horsepower. Service speed of 8.5 knots. Was at Sydney in December 1895 when chartered by H C Sleigh for 6 months. Loaded coal for Fremantle from Newcastle, New South Wales on 31st December 1895. Given registry at Port Adelaide February 1896, she was advertised under the banner 'Blue Star Line' to the agency of H C Sleigh, eventually under the banner of the Intercolonial Steam Ship Co who took over the coal contract held by H C Sleigh at that time. From 1896 also advertised by Howard Smith Ltd who either took a charter on her or, acted as agents. Returned to Glasgow 1897. 1911 sold to Itaya Shosen KK renamed Dainichi Maru. 1926 sold to Kyuei Shokai KK. Wrecked on Omai Saki 21 July 1931
ASPHODEL 2,674 gross tons, 1,730 net. Lbd: 310' x 41" x 23'5". (94.5 x 12.5 metres) Steel hulled single screw steamship built by A Stephen & Sons, Linthouse for J B Murray & Co., Glasgow. Held a triple expansion engine producing 240 nhp. As a 'freelance tramper' she was chartered by H C Sleigh in January 1896 and advertised for passengers to Fremantle along with her coal carrying obligations. With the coal strike by Newcastle miners in February 1896, H C Sleigh faced the improbability of supplying the coal contract to Western Australia and sought out W R Cave & Co, Port Adelaide in turning over that contract. April 1896 charter transferred to W R Cave & Co and in August 1896 transferred again to Intercolonial Steam Ship Co, Adelaide, all the while continuing her run in that trade. She was advertised under the banner 'Blue Star Line' to the agency of H C Sleigh up until August 1896. January 1898 Intercolonial Steam Ship Co wound itself up and sold it's Fremantle shore based holdings to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, transferring the charter of Asphodel simultaneously. Upon the charter being complete in April 1898, she sailed to England, never to return.1902 converted to oil tanker. 1900 sold to 'Luckenbach' and renamed Norfolk. 1902 renamed S V Luckenbach. Went missing - cleared Sabine Pass off Texas USA 23 March 1903 (Pt Arthur-Marcus Hook, crude oil)


AUSTRALIAN TRANSPORT Co
CAPE LEEUWIN & CAPE OTWAY were H C Sleigh's first steamships and yet, prior to completion they were sold to AUSN Co and named Paroo and Pilbarra, having never sailed for this concern
Recorded as the only two vessels for this short-lived 'paper' Company

Ed Ed
CAPE LEEUWIN
1897-1944
CAPE OTWAY
1897-1928
CAPE LEEUWIN & OTWAY images as PAROO (b43257) & PILBURRA respectively courtesy State Library Victoria
CAPE LEEUWIN 2,665 gross tons, 1,719 net. Lbd: 315'6" x 40'1" x 14'6". Built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow originally named Cape Leeuwin for H C Sleigh's 'phantom Company' known as Australian Transport Co., however purchased before completion by AUSN Co. Renamed Paroo and used as a passenger vessel Melbourne - Fremantle until sold August 1903 to the West Australian S N Co Ltd., Fremantle. Here she serviced the West Australian coastal ports including the run to Singapore. Sold 1917 to Persian Gulf S N Co., Bombay and renamed Iran. 1922 sold to Okuda Yeikichi of Japan and renamed Mikage Maru. Sold 1926 to Muso Kisen K K Japan. 24th October 1944 at 33N., 125E (S E of Korea) she was torpedoed and sunk by the USS Croaker
CAPE OTWAY 2,664 tons. gross tons, 1,718 net. Lbd: 315'5" x 40'1" x 14'6". Built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow originally named Cape Otway for H C Sleigh's 'phantom Company' known as Australian Transport Co., however purchased before completion by AUSN Co. Not renamed until July 1898 when renamed Pilburra. Used as a passenger vessel on most Australian coastal runs. Completed one voyage to Canada with prospectors heading for the Klondyke. Also worked a few voyages across the pacific to Fiji. Cargo vessel only from 1910. Sold 1915 to Sun Shipping Co., and renamed Sunstream. Sold 1917 to Persian Gulf S N Co., Bombay and renamed Shustar. 1924 sold to Government of Hedjaz and renamed Radwa. 1926 acquired by Abdullah al Fadle, Jeddah. Laid up at Jeddah for some unknown time period until declared non-commercial and towed to Savonia Italy for demolition purposes in July 1928


VICTORIA
1871-1903
1,254 gross tons. Lbd: 239'6" x 30'2" x 23'. Iron steamship, 2 masted schooner rigged built by Richardson & Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne for the Italian Government as the Siracusa. Considered too slow and sent to Australia, and renamed by Australian Steam Navigation Co, Sydney when purchased in 1872. Used as a passenger ship of their major routes. Of AUSN Co 1887. December 1897 charted by H C Sleigh who placed her on a run to New Zealand with Newcastle coal. On her return jourrney the cargo shifted and the coal stocks were low, forcing her to put in at Twofold Bay. Refuelled and cargo re-balanced she made her destination Melbourne, being handed back to AUSN 18 days after arrival. 1898 - end of 1899 chartered out to Burns Philp & Co, Sydney Sold 1899 to O E Pauss & Partners (traded as 'The Steamship Victoria Ltd') for their South Seas Islands' trade. Sold 1903 to Chinese shipbreakers
image courtesy State Library Queensland


1909 Sleigh submitted a tender the carriage of bananas from Fiji to Sydney and Melbourne. The Fijian Government accepted the tender, being lower in annual fee subsidy and matching the demand for two refrigerated steamships for the contract. At the time H C Sleigh had two Booth Line vessels ready for charter, those being the 'Madeirense' and 'Obidense'. Upon winning the contract problems immediately set in with Booth Line (perhaps in support of Elder Dempster Line who failed in their bid) withdrawing the chance to charter the aforementioned vessels. Sleigh also encountered finance difficulties compounded by failure to float a Company for the venture. Booth's hovered as they claimed they had the suitable ships and finance whilst AUSN and Union SS Co of New Zealand were keen to win back an established trade. Sleigh approached Howard Smith for tonnage charter but was offered two vessels that were totally inadequate as 'banana boats'. Finally H C Sleigh, even after approaching AUSN to take over the contract (he outbid them also and they were quite indignant about it all) and being refused, he relinquished the contract altogether


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
OCEANA
1891-1918
PAPANUI
1898-1911
MINTARO
1889-1951
OURAKA
1890-1932
BULGA
1904-60
MINTARO image courtesy State Library Queensland
BULGA and courtesy State Library Victoria
OCEANA 682 gross tons. 392 net. Lbd: 187' x 27' x 14'2" Built by S McKnight Ayr Shipyard, Glasgow as the Harold for Harold Shipping Company Glasgow as a general cargo steamship. 1900 sold to Jaluit Gesell, Hamburg and renamed Oceana. 1904 Scott Fell & Co., Sydney. 1905 H C Sleigh, Melbourne. 1907 onwards Japanese owners renamed Kyoyei Maru No.3 Status: Destroyed by Fire at Kobe with benzine cargo on 28th November 1918
PAPANUI 6372 gross tons. Lb: 430 x 54'1" (131.1 x 16.5 metres). Passenger Cargo steamship built by William Denny & Brothers Dumbarton, Yard No 602 for the New Zealand Shipping Company, Plymouth. Launched: Tuesday, 1st November 1898 completed 26 December 1898. Single screw, triple expansion engine
Used on the London to Australia route until 1905 she was then placed into secondary service between London and New Zealand carrying cargo and emigrants. She could only make 13 knots at best and carry 80 passengers in first and second class and an undetermined number of steerage passengers. December 1909 struck an uncharted shoal to the north of Waterhouse Island, near Banks Straits, en-route Hobart - Melbourne where she arrived for repairs after initially seeking harbour at Beauty Point. The owners decided against repairing the ship and sold her to 1910 James Paterson, Melbourne. On sold to H C Sleigh and H B Black. They made temporary repairs with plans to take her to Japan for permanent repairs. When local officials would not certify the ship as being seaworthy they transferred the ships flag to Nicaraguan registry and sailed her without a pilot to Japan. In May of 1911 now ready for sea, she departed Melbourne full of passengers who were on the way to see the coronation of King George V. in London. Papanui departed London 25 August on her return trip to Australia with 318 emigrants bound for Fremantle and 50 emigrants bound for Melbourne. A fire was discovered in a coal bunker on September 5th, soon after they crossed the Equator. The crew attempted to extinguish the fire for five days but were unable to bring it under control. Finally the captain decided to head for St. Helena, there all 324 passengers and most of the crew were put ashore, following this he ran the ship aground at James Bay. 11 September 1911 the ship was allowed to burn itself out and in a few years what remained of the burned out hulk was consumed by the sea. 29 September 1911 The Opawa, having being converted and equipped into an emigrant steamer in less than four days, left the Mersey under command of Captain J J Cameron, for St Helena to pick up the emigrants
MINTARO 2,286 tons. Lbd: 290'8" x 37'9" x 19'5". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co., Greenock for G M Steeves, Liverpool as the Larnaca. Under this name she was chartered by Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd from May 1897 and purchased in August 1899. Renamed Mintaro. Sold October 1913 to H C Sleigh, Sydney. Sold 1914 to Japanese owners renamed Taisei Maru. 1920-21 renamed Daiboshi Maru and finally scrapped Japan 1951
OURAKA 2,627 tons. Lbd: 300'3" x 41'2" x 19'6". Steel steamship built by Russell & Co, Greenock for Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd. February 1914 sold to H C Sleigh. Later same year sold to Japan renamed Yei Maru No. 2. Bombed and sunk north of Tanahmera Bay, New Guinea 02.33S 140.43E 10th March 1944
BULGA 1,449 gross tons. Lbd: 250'7" x 36'1" x 17'9". (76.4 x 11 metres). Poop deck 24 feet; Bridge 73 feet; Forecastle 34 feet. Steel single screw cargo vessel as built by Howaldts-Werke in Kiel as the Signal for M Jebsen, Apenrade. Launched 23 November 1903, completed January 1904. Triple expansion engine making 10 knots. 1915 Acquired by the Australian Government Line of Steamers and renamed Bulga. Sold 1923 to H C Sleigh, Melbourne. As known ran the coal trade between Newcastle - Sydney and Melbourne. During this period low cartage rates was set by J Patrick & Co, which Sleigh matched. By January 1925 it was realised that little to no profit was gained and so was sold later 1925 to Moller & Co. Vessel then renamed Haiyen. 1932 owned by USSR Government and renamed Primorye. Deleted from register 1960


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MARION SLEIGH (1)
1906-54
WAR SPRAY
1919-44
ABEL TASMAN (1)
1916-36
JAMES COOK (1)
1921-93
MARION SLEIGH (1) image as Holmburn at Wellington, NZ
ABEL TASMAN (1) image courtesy State Library Victoria
JAMES COOK (1) image courtesy of Australian War Memorial
MARION SLEIGH (1)496 gross tons. Lb: 44.3 x 8.9 metres. General cargo coaster built by Seebeck at Geestemunde Germany as the Favorita Dona Catalina for S Ferrando Argentina. Coal fired steamship compound engine, twin screw. 1918 sold to S Instone & Co renamed Newston. 1923 sold to Nordsea Linie renamed Marie Kothe. 1924 sold to H Schutte renamed Mars. 1926 sold to H C Sleigh renamed Marion Sleigh. 1932 sold to A F Watchlin renamed Port Whangarei. 1944 sold to Holm Shipping Co renamed Holmburn. 1954 sold to E Savoie, Noumea renamed Jacques Del Mar. Wrecked at Lord Howe Island 20 July 1954
WAR SPRAY 3,121 gross tons. Lb: 331' x 46'8". Single screw. Triple expansion engine. 11.5 knots. Built by R Thompson & Sons Ltd, Bridge Dockyard, Sunderland as War Spray for the British Shipping Controller. Completed June 1918. Shipping Controller, managers G B Harland & Co. 1919 owned by R W J Sutherland & Co, Cardiff. 1920 owned by General Maritime Trust Ltd, London. 1922 owned by James Bell & Co, Melbourne. 1925 owned/transferred to Bell Steamships Ltd, Melbourne. 1929 owned by H C Sleigh, Melbourne. 1929 owned by Hamane Shoten KK, Tarumi, Japan and renamed Tamahine Maru. 5th June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by USS SHARK at 18.40N 140.35E
ABEL TASMAN (1) 2,097 gross tons, 1,475 net. Single screw triple expansion engine. Cargo vessel built by Jonker & Stans at Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Nederlands as the Maria for N V Holland Gulf Stmvt Maats (J de Poorter), Rotterdam. 1919 owned by Annetta Co and renamed Mont Blanc. 1927 owned by J Enger and renamed Nord. 1933 acquired by H C Sleigh's subsidiary Company HCS Coasters and placed upon the timber trade. Wrecked at North Beach, Greymouth New Zealand 18th July 1936
JAMES COOK (1) 2,181 gross tons. Lb: 84 x 13.3 metres. Steel hulled single screw triple expansion engine. 10 knots. Built as the Belfri by Moss Vaerft, Moss for Christen Smith. Designed for timber carrying as well as transporting locomotives, most innovative in her early career. Acquired by this concern as H C Coasters and placed upon the Trans tasman timber service 1934-1953. used the West Coast ports of the South Island for timber bound for Melbourne and Sydney, mostly out of Greymouth. 1954 sold, renamed Philippine Trader for J M Lontoc. Deleted from register 1993


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MATTHEW FLINDERS (1)
1938-71
ABEL TASMAN (11)
1957-90
HAROLD SLEIGH
1952-70
GERVAISE SLEIGH
1951-69
MATTHEW FLINDERS (1) image (gr002047) courtesy State Library Victoria
ABEL TASMAN (11) image published by Ian G B Lovie
HAROLD SLEIGH image courtesy State Library New South Wales
MATTHEW FLINDERS (1) 2,290 gross tons. Lb: 86.4 x 13.4 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Burntisland SB, Burntisland for H C S Coasters Pty Ltd (Sleigh), Melbourne. Triple expansion engine. 10.5 knots. Cargo only and serviced the trans-tasman timber trade 1938-1956. 1956 sold to J Nurminen renamed Pirkko Nurminen. 1967 sold to Loffredo & Ummarino renamed Rauma. Broken up at Cartagena October 1971
ABEL TASMAN (11) 2,681 gross tons, 3470 dwt. Lb: 93.6 x 13.6 metres. Cargo ship built by Hall Russell & Co Ltd Aberdeen completed 1957. Single screw, diesel engine making 12.5 knots. Mostly known as a timber carrier, having serviced Coff's Harbour 1962. She was the last vessel built for the Union SS Co's Subsidiary of H C S Coasters Pty Ltd., Melbourne. 1975 Sold to Guan Guan Shipping Ltd of Singapore and renamed Golden Globe. 1982 Sold to Safinatus Salem Shipping Ltd of Singapore and renamed Sam Ju. 1985 Sold to Azim Shipping Ltd Singapore with Bayanihan Shipping Ltd of Singapore as Managers. She was renamed Azim 1. 1985 Renamed Alfalah after being sold to Amora Holdings Inc of Panama who used Hind Shipping Agencies of Bombay as Managers. Renamed Alsarah in 1985. Again name change in 1985 to Alba 111 all under Panamanian Registry. 1985 She was arrrested for alleged smuggling by the Bangladesh Navy in the outer anchorage of Chittagong. 1989 Released and sold to Mariners Bangladesh Ltd for demolition at Begum Dockyards, Sadarghat and was beached with demolition commencing in 1990. She had spent 18 years under Union SS Co Ltd control and a further 14 years under various owners
HAROLD SLEIGH 8,555 gross tons, 4,926 net. 12,614 deadweight. Lbd: 487'4" x 61' 2" x 27'6" (148,5 x 18.6 metres). on: 186192 Oil Tanker built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Co., Scotstoun for H C Sleigh Ltd. Vessel registered at Hong Kong. Engines by J G Kincaid & Co Ltd Greenock. Propulsion: B&W Oil 4SA 6cy 3600bhp 11.5 knots machinery aft. Scrapping began at Kaohsiung 11th May 1970
GERVAISE SLEIGH 16,220 dwt. Oil Tanker Built as the 'Rygja' by Nederlandsche Dock & Shipbuilders Amsterdam for J L Mowinckel Norway flag. Lbd: 502.4 x 68.0 x 28.4 metres. Single screw, diesel engine. 13,5 knots. Bought by Singapore Navigation Co Ltd (H C Sleigh) in 1956 and renamed. Transferred to Dominion Navigation Co Ltd., (H C Sleigh Ltd) Hong Kong in 1962. Scrapped Kaohsiung 1969


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ADDERLEY SLEIGH
1954-75
DAMPIER
1937-66
HAMILTON SLEIGH
1961-79
MARION SLEIGH (11)
1957-79
ADDERLEY SLEIGH image courtsey R Priest, DAMPIER image as Bungaree courtesy State Library South Australia, Marion Sleigh image as Magnolia
ADDERLEY SLEIGH 9941 gross tons, 15900 dwt. Lb: 157 x 19.5 metres. Single screw. Diesel engine. 14 knots. Steel hulled, single screw oil tanker built by Framnaes Mek, Verk Sandefjord for Sven Foyn Bruun. Likely time chartered by H C Sleigh as this was the launch/completion name of vessel. Service area unknown 1968 sold to E A Karavias, renamed St George 111 Broken up at Kaohsiung from 24 January 1975
DAMPIER 3,943 gross tons, 1,592 net. Lbd: 357'2" x 48'7" x 20'5". Built as the Bungaree by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel for the Adelaide Steamship Co., and registered at Melbourne. Cargo vessel of triple expansion engine. She was requisitioned as a minelayer during WW2. Sold 1957 to a subsidiary company of H C Sleigh, Melbourne and renamed Dampier. Sold 1960 renamed Eastern Mariner under Panamanian registry. Ironically struck a mine in Saigon River Viet nam May 26 1966 and sank
HAMILTON SLEIGH 18,772 gross tons, 11,318 net, 27606 dwt. Lbd: 658' x 82' x 33' (200.6 x 25 metres). Oil Tanker built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Co., Scotstoun for this concern. Engines by D Rowan & Co Ltd., Glasgow. Propulsion: 2 S Turb dr geared to sc shaft 1400shp machinery aft. 16 knots. Registered at Hong Kong. Returned to Barclay Curle in 1966 for lengthening at the Elderslie Drydocks. New dimensions - 22,119 gross tons, 34817 dwt and Lbd: 745'2" x 82' x 34'5" (227.1 metres). Sold 1973 renamed Evangelia. Scrapped Pusan January 1979
MARION SLEIGH (11) 12210 gross tons. Lb: unknown. Oil Tanker built by Oresundsvarvet at Landskrona as the Magnolia for unknown owner. 1967 sold to H C Sleigh renamed Marion Sleigh (11). 1970 sold renamed Gruno Reidar. 1973 sold to renamed Kosmas M. Scrapped at Barcelona 1979


Ed Ed Ed
ETHEL SLEIGH
1958-77
MATTHEW FLINDERS (11)
1970-86
ARTHUR PHILLIP
1974-2004
MATTHEW FLINDERS (11) image as Australian Explorer courtesy R Matterson/Shippingdatabase
ARTHUR PHILLIP courtesy Oceania Shipping Forum
ETHEL SLEIGH 12935 gross tons, 20807 dwt. Lbd: 559'11" x 72'01" x 32'03.5" (170.7 x 22 metres). Oil Tanker. Launched as Albert Maersk, as built by Mitsui Zosen of Tamano 1958 for A P Moller of Sweden. Single screw, diesel engine. 14.5 knots. 1969 sold to Dominion Navigation, Hong Kong, H C Sleigh managers, renamed "Ethel Sleigh". On: 332487, B&W, 8250bhp, 14.5 knots. Call sign VPJS. 1972 sold Quivira Shipping Co., Liberia, renamed Katharina. October 1977 arrived Hong Kong for scrapping purposes, demolition began 6th November
MATTHEW FLINDERS (11) 9,334 gross tons, 3,934 net. 14,150 dwt. Lbd: 181.72 x 25.05 x 9.32 metres. June 1970 built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Kobe Japan as the Matthew Flinders for the Flinders Shipping Co Pty Ltd., with H C Sleigh as Managers. Cargo vessel Ro/Ro. Sold to Australian National Line in April 1975 and renamed Australian Explorer. Early 1978 lengthened by original shipbuilder with dimensions becoming 11,353 gross tons, 4,934 net and 18,411 dwt. Lbd: became 210.42 x 25.05 x 8.87 metres. Broken up at Kaohsiung November 1986
ARTHUR PHILLIP 37195 gross tons. 65103 dwt. Lb: 239.3 x 32.3 metres. Steel single screw motor ship (tanker) built at BHP Shipyard, Whyalla South Australia for H C Sleigh. Diesel engine. Service speed of 16 knots. Usual service run was Botany Bay to Western port Victoria, return. Also occasionally ran Port Bonython - Botany Bay. Was known to service Barrow Island in the west coast of Australia. 1992 sold to the Chandris Group and renamed AL Sharifa II. Broken up at Chittagong August 2004


Ed Ed
JAMES COOK (11)
1975-97
JOHN HUNTER
1976-92
JAMES COOK (11) image as Australian Escort courtesy Matterson Marine
JOHN HUNTER image courtesy Marine Photography MPVB Sydney Australia
JAMES COOK (11) 21,708 gross tons, 11,295 net, 23629 dwt. Lbd: 222.26 x 30.05 x 10.51 metres. Single screw diesel engine making 22.5 knots. Vehicle-Deck/Cellular Container Carrier (Ro/Ro) built and completed September 1975 by Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd., Kobe as the James Cook for Flinders Shipping Co Ltd., (H C Sleigh Ltd as managers). Single screw Diesel engine making 22.5 knots. January 1976 sold to Australian National Line and renamed Australian Escort. Since renamed Anro Melbourne 1989. 1992 renamed Makedon for new owners - Plixia Trading Ltd of Cyprus. Managed by Optimus Maritime Co. Scrapping began at Alang 17 September 1997
JOHN HUNTER 15324 gross tons. 24430 dwt. Lb: 172.5 x 24.4 metres. Steel single screw motor ship (tanker) built at State Dockyard, Newcastle, New South Wales for Botany Bay Tanker Co Pty Ltd. A joint venture between HC Sleigh & Caltex Oil Australia. Diesel engine. Service speed of 14 knots. 1989 sold to unknown owners and renamed K Glory. Caught on fire at Yosu 29 September 1992 whilst discharging & towed away to China 25 December 1992 for scrapping purposes


WILLIAM DAMPIER
1968-85
49,887 gross tons. 89,903 dwt. Lb: 253.2 x 37.2 metres. Steel single screw motorship (oil tanker) built by Mitsubishi Yokohama for 'unknown' as Fotini Carras. Diesel engine. 16 knots. Sold 1978 to the Greek owned Triump Shipping Co., and renamed Iolcos. 1980 acquired by H C Sleigh and renamed William Dampier. First Australian flagged oil tanker to arrive in Australian waters with light Arabian crude from the Persian Gulf. She did so in May 1980 after being fitted out at Singapore for Australian crew conditions, steaming from there to the Persian Gulf. and arriving with crude for the Golden Fleece Petroleum. Intended for oil transport coastally and seasonal voyages to and from the Persian Gulf. Broken up at Inchon January 1985
image courtesy R Priest


A Joint Venture in 1962 with John SWIRE formed the
DOMINION Navigation Co. Ltd, Nassau Bahamas
Focussing on the passenger trade between Australia and the Far East

A Joint Venture in 1962 with Jardine Matheson saw the
DOMINION FAR-EAST LINE, Melbourne
Focussing on the passenger trade between Australia and the Far East


Ed Ed Ed
FRANCIS DRAKE
1947-71
GEORGE ANSON
1948-71
EASTERN QUEEN
1950-74
above postcard images personal collection
FRANCIS DRAKE 7,438 gross tons., 440' x 61' x 26'6". Passenger-cargo vessel built by Vickers Armstrong, Newcastle as the 'Nova Scotia' for the Furness Warren Line. Steam. D.R. & S.R. Geared Turbines, single screw. 16 knots. Operated between Liverpool, St John’s N.F, Halifax and Boston. Accommodion for 60 First Class and 90 Tourist Class passengers until in December 1961, when due to declining passenger patronage, January 1962 Company decided upon carriage of just 12 First Class passengers. October 1962 sold to Dominion Navigation Co. Ltd, Nassau Bahamas. Placed upon the Australia Japan service. Given yellow funnel of H C Sleigh. Both sisterships were later sent to Barclay Curle Shipyards in Glasgow to be partially rebuilt and fully refitted. The superstructure was extended forward and all cabins were extensively remodelled. In addition full air-conditioning was installed for operations in warmer climate, and a pool was installed aft on Promenade Deck. 130 all First Class accommodation. Sistership 'Newfoundland', renamed George Anson. 1965 under ownership of Dominion Far East Line, a joint venture between H C Sleigh and Jardine Matheson, and given the red and black Indo-China funnel synominous to Jardine. In that service they operated with Indo-China's "Eastern Queen".
Route: 1963-1965/1966-1971. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville (optional), Cairns (optional), Manila, Hong Kong, Keelung, Kobe, Yokohama, Guam, Rabaul, Sydney, Melbourne.
Alternative route: September 1965 to December 1966. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Cairns, Manila, Hong Kong, Keelung, Kobe, Yokohama, Guam, Rabaul, Sydney, Melbourne. Owing to declining passenger numbers and Airways competition, both sisterships were sold 1971 and scrapped same year at Kaohsiung Taiwan
GEORGE ANSON 7,438 gross tons. Built by Vickers Armstrong, Newcastle as the 'Newfoundland' for the Furness Warren Line. See matching details above Francis Drake
EASTERN QUEEN 8,644 gross tons. Lbd: 468' 3" x 63' 2" x 26' 3". Cargo Passenger Liner built by William Denny & Bros., Dumbarton for Indo China Steam Nav Co Ltd., Hong Kong. Engines by shipbuilder. Propulsion: 2 Steam Turbines dr geared to sc shaft 8,400 shp. 16 knots. Port of Registry: Hong Kong. 1968 (part-owner) Dominion Nav Co Ltd. 1970 of Wicklow Shipping Co Ltd (Mullion & Co), Hong Kong. Scrapped at Whampoa April 1974


Ed Ed
MARCO POLO
1962-current
above images personal collection
MARCO POLO 9,696 gross tons. Built as the 'Princesa Isabel' in Bilboa Spain. 483 ft/ 147.30m, Beam - 61 ft/18.67m, Draught – 24.1 ft/ 7.35m. Dominion Far East Line, purchased her in 1969. She was given a seven month refit that saw her change from being an all white ship to a smart looking cruise ship with a blue hull, white superstructure and a red, black-topped funnel. Her interiors received contemporary and modern décor. Upon completion, her passenger capacity had reduced to 375 giving her a spacious atmosphere compared to other ships of her size. She departed the Clyde under a British flag, renamed Marco Polo, and was delivered to Melbourne Australia in June 1970. Upon arrival, she commenced her cruise programme of the South Pacific and Asia. In May 1978 she was purchased by a Greek owned Hong Kong Company, known as Aquamarine International. Marco Polo’s final Asian cruise departed Sydney on June 7. This cruise became one passengers would not soon forget. Her itinerary included ports in Japan, then onto Hong Kong, Singapore and Bali. However, in the China Sea, between Nagasaki to Hong Kong, Marco Polo was caught in the grip of a typhoon and suffered a battering for five days, resulting in a number of injuries amongst her 192 passengers. Upon reaching Hong Kong, repairs were needed before she could return to Sydney, were she was de-commissioned. (source www.ssmaritime.com with many thanks). She was refitted again and renamed 'Aquamarine'. 1980 she was "arrested" and auctioned to pay debts. From 1981 until 1988 she was laid up in Piraeus Greece until sold and renamed 'Odysseus'. 2003 she was sold yet again and became a floating casino vessel renamed 'Lucky Star' out of Singapore
A full history of her is available at ssmaritime.com/marcopolo.htm



Ed Ed


Ed


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2009-12 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved