FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

PAGE ONE
HMAT
A to Z
quick jump
Aeneas
Afric
Ajana
Anchises
Anglo-Egyptian
Argyllshire
Armadale
Ascanius
Ayrshire
Bakara
Ballarat
Barambah
Barunga
Beltana
Benalla
Borda
Berrima
Boonah
Boorara
Botanist
Bulla
Ceramic
Chilka
Clan MacCorquodale
Clan MacEwen
Clan MacGillivray
Commonwealth
Demosthenes
Euripides
Geelong
Hororata
Hymettus
Itonus
Itria
Kabinga
Kanowna
Karoola
Karroo
Katuna
Kyarra
Malakuta
Marathon
Marere
Mashobra
Medic
Miltiades
Nestor
Omrah
Orsova
Orvieto
Palermo
Pera
Persic
Port Lincoln
Port Melbourne
Port MacQuarie
Port Sydney
Rangatira
Runic
Saldanha
Seang Bee
Seang Choon
Shropshire
Southern
Star Of England
Star Of Victoria
Suevic
Suffolk
Surada
Themistocles
Uganda
Ulysses
Vestalia
Wandilla
Warilda
Wiltshire





Flotilla Australia

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES

this page

AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND ARMY CORP
(ANZAC)

ESSENTIAL SHIPPING HISTORY


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA DATA

of


HMAT
&
HMNZT

TRANSPORT SHIPS
this page

Australian Troop Transports

Prefix

A1 - A28

In the First Convoy
1st November 1914

Hired Military Australian Transport
Hired Military New Zealand Transport

The Great European War
The Great War
World War 1
5th August 1914 - 11 November 1918


*A Maritime Tribute*

Each requisitioned vessel was given transport number -
Australian service given prefix A1 up to A74
New Zealand vessels given HMNZT 01 up to 104


Respectfully listed 11th November 2009
Updated 28 March 2018




PAGE 1a
HMAT
A29 - A54
PAGE 1b
HMAT
A55 - A74
PAGE 2
HMNZT
New Zealand Transports
PAGE 3
RMS
Royal Mail Steamships
PAGE 4
Single voyage transports

PAGE 5
Hospital Ships *to be listed April 2018*

PAGE 6
Anzac related Postcards of the era *to be listed April 2018*



Ed Ed

FIRST CONVOY
1st November 1914 at King George's Sound, Western Australia.
Departure of the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces from Albany. Australian Transports: A1 Hymettus; A2 Geelong; A3 Orvieto; A4 Pera; A5 Omrah; A6 Clan McCorquodale; A7 Medic; A8 Argyllshire; A9 Shropshire; A10 Karroo; A11 Ascanius; A12 Saldana; A13 Katuna; A14 Euripides; A15 Star of England; A16 Star of Victoria; A17 Port Lincoln; A18 Wiltshire; A19 Afric; A20 Hororata; A21 Marere; A22 Rangitira; A23 Suffolk; A24 Benalla; A25 Anglo Egyptian; A26 Armadale; A27 Southern; A28 Miltiades.
New Zealand Transports: HMNZT 3 Maunganui; HMNZT 4 Tahiti; HMNZT 5 Ruapehu; HMNZT 6 Orari; HMNZT 7 Limerick; HMNZT 8 Star of India; HMNZT 9 Hawkes Bay; HMNZT 10 Arawa; HMNZT 11 Athenic; HMNZT 12 Waimate. Warships: HMS Minotaur; HMAS Sydney, HMAS Melbourne & the Japanese Battle Cruiser Ibuki





A1    HYMETTUS

1906-37

4,606 gross tons. Lb: 122 x 15.9 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built 1906 by Palmers at Jarrow for Archibald Currie & Co, Melbourne (Currie Line). Single screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots.
1913 sold with fleet to the British India SN Co Ltd, London


21 September 1914 departed Sydney with Commanding Officer Major A A Holdsworth, 39 troops of the 1st AIF and 256 horses 30 September 1914 departed Melbourne having embarked One Officer, 41 other ranks, 2 naval ranks and 313 horses at that port 22 October 1914 departed Adelaide having embarked 1st Divisional Train HQ [part, as one Medical Officer (Captain) & one Veterinary Officer (Captain), one Lieutenant Automobile Corp and two Privates of the Military Post Office Corp], 1st Divisional Train No 1 Company ASC [Army Service Corps] (part), 1st Divisional Train No 2 Company ASC [Army Service Corps] (part), 1st Divisional Train No 3 Company ASC [Army Service Corps] (part), 1st Divisional Train No 4 Company ASC [Army Service Corps] (part). Total embarked as 1 Officer, 20 other ranks and 117 horses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

FURTHER TRANSPORT VOYAGES
From 5th February 1915 up to and including 3rd February 1917 transported four Field Artillery Brigade Reinforcements, nine Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements & Medical Officers

5th February 1915 at Sydney embarked 1st Field Artillery Brigade 2nd & 3rd Reinforcements, 2nd Field Artillery Brigade 3rd Reinforcements, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade 2nd Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment 3rd Reinforcements & one Medical Officer
17 September 1915 at Brisbane embarked 5th Light Horse Regiment 9th reinforcements, 1st Australian General Hospital - 8th Special Reinforcements (part) as one Medical officer (Captain), 2nd Australian Light Horse Field Ambulance 9th Reinforcements (3 persons),
27 January 1916 at Melbourne embarked 8th Light Horse Regiment 14th Reinforcements, 2nd Australian Light Horse Field Ambulance 14th Reinforcements (8 persons) & one Medical Officer
3rd May 1916 embarked 6th Light Horse Regiment 16th Reinforcements & one Medical Officer (Captain) at Sydney
12 September 1916 at Melbourne embarked 4th Light Horse Regiment 21st Reinforcements, 8th Light Horse Regiment 20th & 21st Reinforcements, 14th Australian General Hospital and Reinforcements
2nd & 3rd February 1917 at Brisbane embarked 2nd Light Horse Field Ambulance - 24th Reinforcements (3 persons), 2nd Light Horse Regiment 24th Reinforcements, 5th Light Horse Regiment 24th reinforcements & one Medical Officer. Departed 3rd February 1917
Handed back to owners 15 May 1917. 1925 sold to Harada Kisen, Japan & renamed Seiun Maru. 28 July 1937 involved in a collision with the Benmohr off Choshi and, sank next day at 36.16N/141.17E
image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A2    GEELONG

1904-16

7,954 gross tons, 5030 net. Lb: 450'3" x 54'6" (137.2 x 16.6 metres). Two x three cylinder triple expansion steam engines, 4150ihp, twin screws, 14 knots. Passenger Liner, laid down on the stocks and launched as 'Australia'. Name changed upon completion in 1904 to 'Geelong' as built by Barclay Curle, Whiteinch Glasgow for W Lund's Blue Anchor Line. Accomodation for 90 saloon and 450 third class passengers. Company and fleet taken over by the P&O SN Co, London 2nd May 1910 and retained on the Britain - Australian emigrant service via Cape of Good Hope

August - September 1914 converted at Melbourne to carry 62 officers and 1539 other ranks

22 September 1914 departed Melbourne with 507 AIF as 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery & 3rd Field Company (Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania) First Division
embarked at Hobart or Melbourne - 2 nurses
20 October 1914 departed Hobart with 836 AIF as the 3rd Light Horse Regiment (Tasmanian contingent) being "C" Squadron, 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery, 3rd Brigade Ammunition Column (1) 3rd Field Artillery Brigade, 12th Infantry Battalion (Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia) 3rd Infantry Brigade & 9th Field Artillery Battery (Tasmania) 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Further Troop embarkations from 29 May 1915 - 18 November 1915 included Signal Company (2) Second Division, five Infantry Battalions five Light Horse Regiments, three Infantry Battalions including 32nd Battalion (Headquarters, Signallers, A, B, C, and D Companies) & Medical Officers


1st January 1916 collided with ss Bonvilston in the Mediterranean and sunk (32.46N/30.05E ) approx 100 miles North of Alexandria, en-route from Sydney via Port Said to Gibraltar and London with general cargo including tea and lead. Her crew was rescued
image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A3    ORVIETO

1909-31

12,130 gross tons. Lb: 163.2 x 19.5 metres. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 18 knots. Passenger steamship built 1909 by Workman & Clark, Glasgow for the Orient S N Co Ltd, London. Serviced the Australia run. Her maiden voyage began from London on November 26th, the beginning of four years of service on the mail run to Brisbane, and service as a passenger liner. In 1913 she became the first Orient Line vessel to berth at the newly opened New Farm Wharf in Brisbane

After two months in Sydney dock being fitted out as a troop transport, she sailed for Egypt with 91 officers and 1,347 men of the AIF (Australian Imperial Force), as part of a convoy of 36 ships escorted by Royal Navy and Japanese cruisers, including HMAS Melbourne and HMAS Sydney. Orvieto was the first ship of the convoy to leave Sydney and the first to set sail from Western Australia for Europe and led the transports all the way to Egypt

21 October 1914 at Melbourne embarked Headquarters of the 1st Australian Division. Notable names included Major General W T Bridges and his staff of the 1st Division. This included his chief of staff, Lieutenant Colonel (later General) C B B White, Major (later Major General) J. Gellibrand, Lieutenant (later Lord) R G Casey and official correspondent C E W Bean. Also embarked the 1st Light Horse Brigade Headquarters, 2nd Infantry Brigade as Headquarters (26 ranks less One Lieutenant/Sergeant that boarded A10 Karroo), 5th Infantry Battalion as Headquarters & Machine Gun Section & the A, B, C, D, E, F, G & H Company (part as All main sections less 1 Officer & 10 men that boarded A10 Karroo - exact details unrecorded), Divisional Engineers Headquarters, 2nd Field Company Engineers (part), 1st Divisional Train as Headquarters, Automobile Corp and Military Post Office Corp, the Ordnance Corps No 1 Company, Army Pay Corps, Five Chaplains, Two Press Representatives, Two Interpreters, One Doctor, Four Nurses & one Attendant, one YMCA Representative, One Aviator & his Assistant. AIF embarkation total as 81 officers, 42 Sergeants & 1,343 other ranks plus 4 Nurses. Added were 34 RAN persons as 4 Officers, 4 Petty Officers and 26 men. 20 horses also boarded. 13 civilians as 7 men and 6 women also embarked as passengers. Departed Railway Pier Port Melbourne 3.00pm 22 October 1914

26 October 1914 arrived at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia
1st November 1914 she was the lead ship of 36 Troop Transport steamships assembled as the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces to Egypt. As Flagship, and at 6.25 am she was the first vessel to depart from Albany Western Australia in leading the transports all the way to Egypt

While calling at Colombo on November 15th, the Orvieto took on board a number of prisoners from the German cruiser Emden which had been disabled and grounded by HMAS Sydney after 70 days marauding in the Indian Ocean. The prisoners included the ship's captain (von Müller) and torpedo officer (Prince Franz Josef von Hohenzollern). The Australian troops and German POWs were disembarked on arrival at Suez and the Orvieto proceeded to London, arriving in January 1915

8th March 1915 she was commissioned as HMS Orvieto under British Admiralty control. 15 March 1915 drydocked at Tilbury for two days before leaving for Scapa Flow where she arrived on March 21st, remaining there for two months, mostly dockside/at anchor. June 8th she departed for Immingham which was to be her base for the next ten months
Performed duties as a minelayer during the next ten months along the east coast between Sheerness and Rosyth, often accompanied by HMS Princess Margaret, a 6,000 ton vessel built as a coastal ship for the Canadian Pacific. On February 18th 1916 Orvieto suffered slight damage when she collided with the Swedish Abiska at Immingham. On March 20th she went aground for a time off Sheerness. Her guns were fired in anger for the first time when she engaged enemy aircraft on April 24th, but no hits were scored. Her first commission came to an end on 25 May 1916 and the ship's company was paid off at the Royal Albert Docks in London
She was, however, quickly recommissioned and at the end of July 1916 left London for the Northern Patrol, and over the next six months intercepted over 30 foreign merchantmen, sending them into northern ports to be searched. In September she spent a week in dock in Glasgow, and saw in the the New Year undergoing gunnery trials with Vice Admiral Tupper on board
28th February 1917 she was at Busta Voe when she collided with a fishing vessel, which lost it's masts and funnel, but suffered no casualties

During July and August of 1917 Orvieto was refitted on the Tyne, and left Hebburn on September 21st, again for the Northern Patrol, being based at Liverpool, where she put in for another refit in the Queen's Graving Dock on January 9th 1918. There was a series of mysterious small fires on board during the refit, the first being on January 16th, when a blaze was discovered in number three lower hold, which took three hours to extinguish, and the last being ten days later, which also took three hours to put out.
On March 23rd 1918 she left Liverpool and spent the rest of the war engaged on trans-atlantic convoy duties. Her first two such voyages were to Rio de Janeiro, and on her return she berthed at Cardiff on August 13th. The next two passages were to Canada, sailing to Quebec and Halifax. She arrived in Devonport at the end of her second journey on October 28th, and was visited by HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria, accompanied by the Japanese ambassador. It had been her final voyage as a Royal Naval Auxiliary and at the end of the year she was paid off and returned to the Orient Line

She sailed for Brisbane on November 1st 1919 and remained on the mail run for eleven years without serious mishap, apart from running aground in the Brisbane River, and made her last return voyage to Australia in August 1930. Not having been converted to burn oil, she was by then outdated and surplus to requirements, and remained at Southampton for five months before being sold to Scottish shipbreakers. She arrived at Bothness at the end of her final voyage on April 3rd 1931
image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A4    PERA

1903-17

7635 gross tons. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship launched 10 June 1903 & completed 23 July 1903 by Workman Clark, Belfast for Peninsular & Oriental S N Co (P&O), Belfast. Lb: 146.3 x 17.4 metres. Twin screw propellors, triple expansion engine capable of 14 knots. Average cruise speed of 11.5 knots or 21.3 kmph

25 September 1914 at Sydney embarked the 1st Field Artillery Brigade Ammunition Column (as 48 men), 1st Divisional Ammunition Column Headquarters & No 1 Section (part), 1st Divisional Ammunition Column (part), 1st Divisional Ammunition Column No 2 Section (part) and the 1st Australian Field Ambulance (part). AIF embarkation total as 5 Officers, 6 Sergeants & 79 other ranks. Also boarded 6 men of the RAN and 391 horses. Departed same day bound directly for Albany however was intercepted on high seas and arrived at Melbourne on the 27th September 1914. Orders had been changed for all Troopships to be escorted by the Warships HMS Minotaur and the HIJMS Ibuki to King George Sound

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

From 8th February 1915 until 23 September 1916 completed a further four transport voyages in carrying Officers and Troops of the AIF as well as horses, four Light Horse Regiments, two Mobile Veterinary Sections & Medical Officers

As A4 visited Tasmania, Hobart, 1915-16 - details of embarkation or purpose of visit - unknown

Torpedoed by Submarine and sunk in Mediterranean (37.16N/24.00E) 19 October 1917
image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A5    OMRAH

1899-1918

8,291 gross tons. Lb: 139.6 x 17.3 metres. Twin screw, triple expansion engine 9,000 ihp. 18 knots. on: 108782. Passenger steamship built by Fairfield, Govan 1899 for the Orient SN Co Ltd, London. 350 passengers total in first & second class and 500 in 3rd class. Maiden voyage from London via Suez to Melbourne and Sydney 3rd February 1899
1908 carried the Australian Rugby Team, the first Wallabies, to England for their tour of England and Wales


24 September 1914 at Pinkenba Wharf, Brisbane embarked the 9th Battalion Headquarters, their Machine Gun Section, and their A, B, C, D, E, F, G & H Companies (less 10 men that boarded A22 Rangatira). Also embarked the 1st Light Horse Brigade Train (part) (5th Company ASC). AIF embarkation total as 38 officers & 1,014 other ranks including 5th Army Service Corps Company & Medical staff (6 persons- 4 being nurses) as well as 15 horses

28th September 1914- Arrived at Port Melbourne

17th October 1914 departed Port Melbourne preceded by 'Hororata' and 'Benalla'.

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces for the Suez via Colombo & Aden
16 November 1914 Received prisoners of war ex "Emden" at Colombo with the the 9th Battalion providing a 'guard' over the 44 prisoners
Re-designated as a Royal Mail Ship (RMS) he was not utilised again as an Australian troopship until Convoy 29, when she departed Fremantle on 23 January 1917

She did however continue voyages in 'RMS' status From Britain - Australia. Those voyages being -
13 April 1915 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail, and Sydney 22 April 1915
5th August 1915 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail. 14 August 1915 arrived Sydney then Brisbane 19 August 1915
27 November 1915 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail, Sydney 6th December 1915 and Brisbane 10 December 1915
1st April 1916 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail, and Sydney 10 April 1916
6th August 1916 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail, and Sydney 14 August 1916
3rd November 1916 her last London - Australia sailing
17 December 1916 arrived Fremantle with passengers and mail and Sydney 5th January 1917

13 January 1917 in RMS status, departed Sydney with 10 AIF Officers and 7 RAN Officers and 1 RAN rating
17 January 1917 in RMS status, departed Melbourne with 747 AIF as the 1st Machine Gun Company 1st Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 2nd Machine Gun Company 1st Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 3rd Machine Gun Company 1st Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 5th Machine Gun Company 2nd Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 6th Machine Gun Company 2nd Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 7th Machine Gun Company 2nd Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 8th Machine Gun Company 5th Machine Gun Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 4th Light horse Regiment 4th Light Horse Brigade 25th Reinforcements, 13th Light Horse Regiment 16th Reinforcements, 2nd Cyclist Battalion 9th Reinforcements, 4th Mobile Veterinary Section 4th Division 25th Reinforcements, 5th Mobile Veterinary Section 5th Division 25th Reinforcements, 4th Flying Squadron and their 2nd Reinforcements, 13 RAN Officers, 3 Nurses and 1 YMCA
19 January 1917 in RMS status, departed Adelaide with 8 AIF Troops & 2 miscellaneous staff
23 January 1917 in RMS status, departed Fremantle with 8 AIF Troops & 2 RAN Officers
March 1917 arrived at Plymouth
Resumed RMS passenger Mail status Britain - Australia, arriving at Fremantle 25 June 1917, recorded as visiting the ports of Sydney on 4th July 1917, Brisbane 9 July 1917, returning Sydney 13 July 1917 and Fremantle 1st August 1917
1st May 1918, left Alexandria for Marseilles in company with six other transports carrying units of the 52nd and 74th Divisions. 12 May 1918 torpedoed and sunk by UB52 in Mediterranean (40nm SW-S Cape Spartivento), whilst on her return voyage from Marseilles, with small loss of life
image at Pinkenba Wharf, Brisbane 1914 as a modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A6    CLAN MACCORQUODALE

1913-17

5121 gross tons. Lb: 430.2 x 53.4 x 26.7 feet. (131.1 x 16.3 metres). Single screw, triple expansion 3 Cylinder engine. 679 Nautical horsepower. Engines by Dunsmuir & Jackson, Glasgow. 14 knots. Steamship built by Charles Connell & Company at Scotstoun for Cayser, Irvin and Co., Glasgow (Clan Line)

20 October 1914 at Sydney embarked the 1st Infantry Brigade Headquarters, their Machine Gun Section & their A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H, Sections (part as 10 men, un-named and their rank and Unit unstated), 2nd Infantry Battalion Headquarters (part as 1 Officer & 12 other ranks), 1st Light Horse Regiment Headquarters (part as 3 men), their A Squadron (part as 4 men), their B Squadron (p art as 4 men). Further, 1 Officer & 20 men in total from both the 3rd and 4th Infantry Battalions also embarked, their exact names and ranks unavailable. Also boarded the 1st Field Artillery Brigade 3rd Battery (as 7 men), the 1st Field Company Engineers (part as 14 men) and, the 1st Australian Field Ambulance (part as 1 or 2 persons) and their A, B & C Sections (part as 16 persons). AIF embarkation total 7 Officers, 1 Sergeant and 115 other ranks. Also boarded 504 horses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces.

From 6 February 1915 up to and including 13th February 1917 transported 14 separate Light Horse Regiment Reinforcements, three Veterinary Section Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

Torpedoed and sunk by UB51 in Mediterranean (33.26N/27.57E ), 17 November 1917 165 miles NNW of Alexandria whilst en route from Madras to London
image at Millers Point, Sydney October 1914 as a Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A7    MEDIC

1899-1942

11,985 gross tons. Lb: 565 feet x 63 feet 4 inches (173.7 x 19.3 metres). Passenger/cargo steamship built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Oceanic S N Co Ltd, Liverpool (White Star Line). Second built of three "Jubilee Class" ocean liners, the other two being the ss Afric and ss Persic, built specifically to service the Liverpool-Cape Town-Sydney route.
Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine, 5,000 ihp making 14 knots, service speed 13.5 knots. Hull: Steel, 3 Decks, 7 holds, 21 derricks, foc'sle-55 ft, bridge-107 ft, poop-57 ft. Coal: 3,000 tons at 80 tons per day; Cargo: 12,5000 cubic feet. Refrigeration for 100,000 carcasses
Passengers: 320 Cabin Class. Launched December 15 1898, completed 6th July 1899
August 3rd 1899, Maiden voyage from Liverpool to Sydney via Capetown being the White Star Line's first 'scheduled' voyage to Australia

September 1899, the return trip of her maiden voyage saw her carrying the Australian 1st Victorian Contingent of men and horses to South Africa for Boer War service (First (Mounted Rifles) Contingent D 7574, South Australian officers of the First (Mounted Rifles) Contingent Officers of the Victorian, Tasmanian and Western Australian contingents for the Boer War).
1900 resumed Passenger service Liverpool - Australia with William McMaster Murdoch aboard. Murdoch later became Second Officer aboard the ill fated Titanic


20 October 1914 departed Adelaide with the 1st Divisional Ammunition Column No 2 Section (part), 1st Divisional Train No 4 Company (part) and the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance B Section (5 Officers & 182 Men minus 7 men that boarded A12 Saldanha 21 October 1914 and one man that boarded A17 Port Lincoln 22 October 1914). Total compliment of 188 AIF personnel as 9 Officers & 179 other ranks. Also boarded 280 horses
31 October 1914 departed Fremantle with 8th Field Artillery Battery (Western Australia) 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade, & the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery
31 October - 2nd November 1914 at Fremantle embarked the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade 8th Battery, 1st Divisional Ammunition Column No 4 Section (part), 12th Infantry Battalion G Company, 1st Divisional Train No 4 Company (part) and the 3rd Australian Field Ambulance C Section - Bearer Subdivision (as 52 persons in total including John Simpson-Kirkpatrick of 'Simpson and his Donkey' fame). AIF embarkation total as 20 Officers & 797 men. Also boarded 1 horse
3rd November 1914 off Fremantle and in company with A11 Ascanius and escorted by the Japanese Cruiser Ibuki, joined the first convoy that had departed from King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia on the 1st November 1914 in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
3rd - 21st May 1915 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 531 troops and 500 horses

2nd June 1915 departed Brisbane with 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade 6th Reinforcements, 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 6th Reinforcements, 2nd Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements, 11th Light Horse Regiment & their 2nd Reinforcements

7th January 1916 departed Sydney with the 2nd Infantry Battalion 12th Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 12th Reinforcements, 4th Infantry Battalion 12th Reinforcements & Medical Officers

12th January 1916 departed Adelaide with the 27th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements

18th January 1916 departed Fremantle with the 28th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements

20 May 1916 departed Melbourne with the 8th Field Artillery Brigade & their 1st Reinforcements, 23rd Field Artillery Brigade & their 1st and 2nd Reinforcements, 29th Field Artillery Battery 8th Field Artillery Brigade, 30th Field Artillery Battery 8th Field Artillery Brigade, 31st Field Artillery Battery) 8th Field Artillery Brigade, 32nd Field Artillery Battery 8th Field Artillery Brigade, 8th Brigade Ammunition Columne, 46th Infantry Battalion 3rd Reinforcements & the 3rd Casualty Clearing Station (Medical)

Carried John Simpson-Kirkpatrick of 'Simpson and his Donkey' fame

16 December 1916 departed Melbourne with the 14th Infantry Battalione 23rd Reinforcements, 29th Infantry Battalion 12th Reinforcements, 37th Infantry Battalion 6th Reinforcements, 57th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 58th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 59th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 60th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 6th Machine Gun Company 8th Reinforcements, 7th Machine Gun Company 8th Reinforcements, 8th Machine Gun Company 8th Reinforcements, 12th Machine Gun Company 8th Reinforcements, 13th Machine Gun Company 8th Reinforcements & Medical Officers

1st August 1917 departed Sydney with the 16th Infantry Battalion 26th Reinforcements, 49th Infantry Battalion 10th Reinforcements & Medical Officers

2nd November 1918 embarked Medical Officers & Australian Army Dental Corps at Sydney

19 December 1918 embarked Medical Officers at Sydney

9th April 1919 returned to Australia with Troops and Nurses


POST HOSTILITIES

Resumed peacetime services until June 1928 when sold to N Bugge, Tonsberg
Rebuilt by Grayson, Rolls & Clover Docks, Birkenhead as mother ship for a whaling fleet. Fitted with a stern ramp. New tonnage as 13,797 gross. Renamed 'Hektoria'.
Operated the Southern Arctic Oceans
27 September 1928, sailed from New York with the Wilkins-Hurst Antarctic Expedition on board. They lived on board this vessel for the next 5 months
1932 Sold to Hektoria Ltd, a London subsidiary of N Bugge which later became Hector Whaling, and flew the Red Ensign
4th September 1942, as an Oil Tanker under control of the British Ministry of War Transport, she departed Liverpool as part of the convoy ON 127 bound for New York


11 September 1942 torpedoed and sunk in the Atlantic by German submarine U-608 at 48.55N/33.38W
image departing Port melbourne As A& available for purchase as a Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print. Click on image for details



A8    ARGYLLSHIRE

1911-36

10,236 gross tons, 6054 net. Lb: 526'2" x 61'4" x 33'3" (160.4 x 18.7 metres). Twin screw, twin quadruple expansion engine 644nhp 5500ihp. Service speed 13.5 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) built 1911 by John Brown, Clydebank for the Scottish Shire Line Ltd, Glasgow and managed by Turnbull, Martin & Co Ltd

22 August - 9th September 1914 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 845 troops and 392 horses
18 October 1914 departed Sydney with 1st Field Artillery Brigade as Headquarters, 1st & 2nd Battery (Complete) & the 3rd Battery (Main less 7 men that boarded A6 Clan MacCorquodale), their Brigade Ammunition Column (less 48 men that boarded A4 Pera), One Senior Medical Officer (Captain) Two Chaplains (Methodist & RC) & Two Nurses. Total compliment of 830 persons of the AIF as 30 Officers, 2 Sergeants and 798 other ranks. The 2 nurses were signed aboard as civilians. 373 horses were also boarded
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces


Completed seven transport voyages from Australia commencing 18 October 1914 until final voyage from Fremantle 9th November 1916
During that time carried multiple Infantry Battalion Reinforcements, multiple Division Ammunition Column Reinforcements, multiple Light Horse Regiment Reinforcements, Mobile Veterinary Sections and their Reinforcements, multiple Field Artillery Battery Brigade Reinforcements, Brigade Ammunition Column Field Artillery Brigades, Field Ambulance Divisions & Medical Officers

27th May 1915 targetted by submarine where two torpedoes missed her

2nd February 1917 three miles off Start Point she was hit by torpedo fired from UC-46 but reached Falmouth safely on the 5th February 1917

POST HOSTILITIES

1st August 1919 departed England with able and invalided troops, arriving at Brisbane September 24
1929 owned by the Federal Steam navigation Co Ltd, London
1927 laid up at Southampton, then at the Gareloch in 1932
When being moved from the Gareloch on 11th February 1932 she grounded off Roseneath, suffering little damage 1932 Purchased by Clan Line Steamers Ltd (managers Cayzer, Irvine & Co Ltd), Glasgow and renamed Clan Urquhart
1936 Sold for scrapping purposes to T W Ward Ltd at Briton Ferry. Arrived for scrapping 30 October 1936
14 March 1937 whilst being demolished she caught fire and her hull was scuttled
Both images as modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcards & larger prints available. Left side at New Zealand 1919, right side at Melbourne 1917-19. Click on image for details



A9    SHROPSHIRE

1911-40

11,911 gross tons, 8,130 net. Lb: 160.4 x 18.7 metres. Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine making 14 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) built by John Brown, Clydebank for the Federal S N Co Ltd, London. Employed on the passenger and meat cargo trade between New Zealand and Britain

Leased by the Commonwealth until 5 August 1917


20 October 1914 departed Melbourne with 2nd Field Artillery Brigade (Victoria) 1st Division Artillery, 4th Field Artillery Battery (Victoria) 2nd Field Artillery Brigade, 5th Field Artillery Battery (New South Wales) 2nd Field Artillery Brigade, 6th Field Artillery Battery (New South Wales) 2nd Field Artillery Brigade, 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery and their 4th Reinforcements, 2nd Brigade Ammunition Column 2nd Field Artillery Brigade & three nurses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Completed seven transport voyages from Australia commencing 20 October 1914 until final voyage from Melbourne 11 May 1917

During that time carried multiple Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, Field Artillery Brigade Divisional Artillery Reinforcements, Veterinary Section Reinforcements, Light & Medium Trench Mortar Battery Reinforcements, Flying Corps Reinforcements 1st Special Draft, Four Machine Gun Company Battalion Reinforcements, Two Cyclist Battalion Reinforcements, Two Mobile Veterinary Section Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

Post Hostilities

1923 renamed 'Rotorua' for New Zealand Shipping Co, Plymouth

Became World War 11 casualty being torpedoed by submarine 58.56N/11.20W 11.12.40
image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A10    KARROO

1913-36

6,127 gross tons. Lb: 131.3 x 16.5 metres. Steamship cargo only. Triple expansion engine average cruise speed of 11.5 knots. Built 1913
by Palmers, Hebburn-on-tyne for Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co Ltd, London


Leased by the Commonwealth until 3 January 1917

20 October 1914 departed Melbourne with 1st Signal Company (New South Wales) First Division
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
Sailed from Australia in the 3rd & the 24th convoys which unlike the first convoy, consisted in variables of a few ships together whilst other sailings consisted of solo vessel in transport
11 February 1915 at Melbourne embarked the 9th Light Horse Regiment Headquarters (South Australia and Victoria) of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade and, Machine Gun Sections "B" and "C" Squadrons
5 May 1916 at Sydney embarked 2nd Light Horse Regiment 17th Reinforcements, 5th Light Horse Regiment 17th Reinforcements, 11th Light Horse Regiment 8th Reinforcements, 12th Light Horse Regiment 8th Reinforcements, 3rd Mobile Veterinary Section of the 3rd Division & Medical Officers
18 September 1916 embarked Medical Officers at Port Melbourne

Completed seven transport voyages from Australia commencing 20 October 1914 until final voyage from Melbourne 11 May 1917

During that time carried multiple Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, Field Artillery Brigade Divisional Artillery Reinforcements, Veterinary Section Reinforcements, Light & Medium Trench Mortar Battery Reinforcements, Flying Corps Reinforcements 1st Special Draft, Four Machine Gun Company Battalion Reinforcements, Two Cyclist Battalion Reinforcements, Two Mobile Veterinary Section Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

Post Hostilities

1927 renamed City Of Khartoum. Scrapped at Genoa 1936

image as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A11    ASCANIUS

1910-52

10,048 gross tons. Lb: 150.3 x 18.4 metres. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 14 knots. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship built by Workman Clark, Belfast for the Ocean SS Co Ltd, Liverpool (Alfred Holt - Blue Funnel Line)

Leased by the Commonwealth until 30 July 1917

20 October 1914 departed Adelaide with the 10th Infantry Battalion (South Australia) 3rd Infantry Brigade

31 October 1914 departed Fremantle with the 11th Infantry Battalion (Western Australia) 3rd Infantry Brigade

embarked at either Sydney, Fremantle or both ports - 4 nurses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

19th April - 12th May 1915 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 1820 troops and 12 horses

Completed nine transport voyages from Australia commencing 20 October 1914 until final voyage from Melbourne 11 May 1917

During that time carried multiple Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, the two Army Service Corps Company Division Trains, the 7th Field Ambulance (Second Division), the 3rd Signal Company (Victoria) Third Division, multiple Field Artillery Brigade Reinforcements, eight Machine Gun Company Battalion Reinforcements, multiple Division Ammunition Column Artillery Reinforcements, Light Trench Mortar Battery Reinforcements 3rd Reinforcements, 1st Cyclist Battalion (New South Wales and Queensland) 6th Reinforcements,1st Siege Artillery Brigade 11th Reinforcements, Artillery Reinforcements (carrying no known divisional number as known being first despatched in this title), the 4th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) 4th Light Horse Brigade 26th Reinforcements, 13th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) 17th Reinforcements, 4th Mobile Veterinary Section (New South Wales) 4th Division 27th Reinforcements, 5th Mobile Veterinary Section (New South Wales) 5th Division 27th Reinforcements & Medical Officers as - 8th & 10th Field Ambulance (Victoria)Third & Fifth Divisions respectively


POST HOSTILITIES

Serviced the refrigerated cargo (meat) trade Liverpool - Australia. Employed as a troopship World War 11 for British Forces. Departed Liverpool 6th February, 1941 within a 72 ship convoy to Port Said then Freetown Sierra Leone on 2nd March and Cape Town from 22nd to 27th March where the ship's fresh water supply was repaired. Arrived at the Suez Canal 20th April and arrived in Port Said on 22nd April, 1941, discharging troops for the Middle East Campaign. Torpedoed 1944, made it to port, resumed service to Australia 1946

1949 sold to A Motosi and renamed San Giovannino
Scrapped at La Spezia July 1952

image as a modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A12    SALDANHA

1912-18

4,594 gross tons. Lb: 117.6 x 14.9 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots. Cargo steamship built by Swan Hunter - Wigham Richardson at Wallsend for Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co Ltd, London

Leased by the Commonwealth until 14 June 1917

At initial requisition this vessel is not recorded as transporting any Troops from Australia and New Zealand. As she was part of the first convoy it can only be assumed she carried horses and or cargoes of unknown description
During 1914-18 she underwent three separate refittings at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney - exact details unknown



1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

20 February 1915 departed Sydney with the 7th Light Horse Regiment 2nd Reinforcements

Torpedoed and sunk by Submarine in Mediterranean 95nm N Algiers, 18 March 1918
image as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A13    KATUNA

1907-40


4,641 gross tons. Lb: 121.9 x 15.9 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Cargo steamship built 1907 by Armstrong Whitworth, Low Walker on Tyne for Bucknall Steamship Lines Ltd, London. After being acquired by Ellerman Lines in 1908 it changed its name in 1914 to Ellerman & Bucknall Steamship Co Ltd

Leased by the Commonwealth until 10 February 1917
19th September 1914 departed Sydney with the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
3rd February 1915 departed Melbourne with the 4th Light Horse Regiment 2nd & 3rd Reinforcements & Medical Officers
24 November 1915 at Adelaide embarked the 32nd Infantry Battalion (Headquarters, Signallers, A, B, C, and D Companies as attached to the 8th Infantry Brigade
9 March 1916 departed Melbourne with 4th Light Horse Regiment 15th Reinforcements, 1st Armoured Car Section & Medical Officers
23 June 1916 at Adelaide embarked 3rd Light Horse Regiment 18th Reinforcements, 9th Light Horse Regiment 18th Reinforcements & Medical Officers
23 November 1916 at Sydney embarked 1st Light Horse Regiment 22nd Reinforcements, 6th Light Horse Regiment 21st and 22nd Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment 21st and 22nd Reinforcements & Medical Officers


POST HOSTILITIES
Since 1929 under ownership as Ellerman Lines and renamed City Of Swansea. 1937 owned by Barry Shipping Co Cardiff and renamed St Glen.

Became casualty World War 11 being bombed and sunk by aircraft at 57.25N/1.38W 6th September 1940
image as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A14    EURIPIDES

1914-54

14,947 gross tons. Lb: 550.7 x 67.4 feet (167.9 x 20.5 metres). Triple screw, triple expansion exhaust turbine engine making 13 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship completed 1914 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for G Thompson & Co Ltd, Glasgow (Aberdeen Line). Fitted with accommodation for 140-1st, 334-2nd and 750-3rd class passengers. Launched on 29th Jan.1914, she was the company's largest ship. Maiden voyage from London to Brisbane commenced on 1st July and she arrived on 24th August

26th August 1914 requisitioned at Brisbane for Australian trooping duties

24 September 1914 at Brisbane embarked B Squadron, D Troop, 2nd Light Horse
Between 18 & 29 October 1914 at Sydney embarked the 3rd Infantry Battalion, 4th Infantry Battalion, 1st Field Ambulance First Division & six Nurses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Reverted to British government control in 1915 and continued London - Australia voyages, her third class accommodation being used mainly for troops under Commonwealth control

Completed seven transport voyages from Australia commencing 24 September 1914 until final voyage from Sydney 31 October 1917

During that time carried forty-four Infantry Battalion Reinforcements, the 6th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements, the 7th Light Horse Regiment 12th Reinforcements, Light Trench Mortar Battery 1st Reinforcements (Artillery) & Medical Officers

Subsequent History

From February 1919 repatriated Australian troops, and during this and her war service steamed 208,307 miles and carried 38,439 troops

Overhauled at Belfast, she resumed the Aberdeen Line's London - Australia service from November 1920. March 1923 she made the company's last inbound call at Plymouth and subsequently sailed direct to Southampton. Laid up in the Clyde for five months in 1927 and then went into the Liverpool - Australia joint service of the Blue Funnel and White Star-Aberdeen Line. 1929 she was transferred to White Star's Oceanic Steam Navigation Co managemant and in July 1932 sold to Shaw Savill & Albion Line Rebuilt to 15,128 gross tons by Hawthorn Leslie & Co, and with accommodation for 200-cabin class passengers she was fitted with a swimming pool, her 3rd class accommodation converted to cargo space, her engines converted from coal to oil burning and she was renamed Akaroa. entered Shaw Savill & Albion's Southampton - Panama - Wellington service on 28th February 1933 and in November made her fastest passage to New Zealand in 37 days. Between 1939-45 she remained in commercial service under the Ministry of War Transport and was reconditioned on the Tyne in 1945 to 15,320 gross tons and with accommodation for 190-cabin class passengers. Final voyage to Wellington commenced 2nd January 1954 and in May of that year she went to shipbreakers at Antwerp
image as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A15    STAR OF ENGLAND

1914-48

9,136 gross tons. Length 503ft 4in Beam of 63ft 4in (152.7 x 19.3 metres). Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship built, completed 1914 by Workman Clark, Belfast for the Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd, London (Port Line)

Requisitioned by the Australian Commonwealth 1914

29 August - 12th September 1914 converted at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney to transport 524 troops and 511 horses

24 September 1914 at Pinkenbar, Brisbane Queensland, embarked the 2nd Light Horse Regiment (as formed in Queensland) attached to the 1st Light Horse Brigade

21 October 1914 embarked at Port Melbourne. 1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces.

Completed eight transport voyages from Australia commencing 24 September 1914 until final voyage from Sydney 17 August 1918 as both 'Star Of England' and 'Port Sydney' as renamed 1916

as

A15    STAR OF ENGLAND

carried fourteen Infantry Battalion Brigade Reinforcements, five Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, the 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade (Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania) 4th Reinforcements, the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 4th Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

Renamed 'PORT SYDNEY' 1916 remaining under lease to the Commonwealth until 22 September 1917.

as

A15    PORT SYDNEY

carried nine Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, twenty Field Artillery Brigade Reinforcements, fourteen Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 19th Reinforcements, the 3rd Division Ammunition Column (Victoria) 3rd Division Artillery 3rd Reinforcements, the 1st Siege Artillery Brigade 12th Reinforcements, the 3rd Cable Section (Desert Mounted Corps Signals), Camel Reinforcements, Veterinary Reinforcements, Flying Corps Reinforcements 1st Special Draft & Medical Officers
During 1914-18 period, underwent six refittings at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney

POST HOSTILITIES

Decommissioned in the November and reverted to commercial use. In 1929 she was fitted with Bauer-Wach exhaust turbines. During the Second World War she continued to operate commercially but under government control and made some meat runs to the River Plate for the Royal Mail Line. 19th December 1948 she arrived at Preston and consequentially scrapped by Thomas W Ward. Saloon woodwork and fittings were of such high quality that such were removed and stored for eventual use in the crew lounge of the Port Sydney (2)

image as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A16    STAR OF VICTORIA

1914-48

9,152 gross tons. Length: 503ft 4in, Beam of 63ft 4in (152.7 x 19.3 metres). Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) launched November 1913 completed 10 January 1914 by Workman Clark, Belfast for the Star Line Ltd (J P Corry), Belfast

Placed upon the Australia service

Requisitioned by the Australian Commonwealth 1914

August 1914 - September 1914 converted to carry 1000 troops

19-20 October 1914 at Sydney embarked the 1st Light Horse Regiment as Headquarters (New South Wales) 1st Light Horse Brigade

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Completed eight transport voyages from Australia commencing 24 September 1914 until final voyage from Sydney 17 August 1918 as both 'Star Of Victoria' and 'Port Melbourne' as renamed 1916
as

A16    STAR OF VICTORIA

carried the 1st Light Horse Regiment as Headquarters (New South Wales) 1st Light Horse Brigade, the 8th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) 3rd Light Horse Brigade, the 2nd Light Horse Regiment (Queensland) 1st Light Horse Brigade 16th Reinforcements, the 2nd Veterinary Section (Victoria) 9th Reinforcements, eight Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

1916 paper ownership taken over by Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd London (Port Line), & vessel renamed 'Port Melbourne'

Vessel remained under lease with the Commonwealth until 2 October 1917.

as

A16    PORT MELBOURNE

carried eighteen Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, the 4th Mobile Veterinary Section 21st Reinforcements, the 5th Mobile Veterinary Section 21st Reinforcements & Medical Officers
During 1914-18 period, underwent six refittings at Cockatoo Island Dockyard, Sydney

POST HOSTILITIES

1919 she reverted to normal commercial trade and the passenger accommodation was reduced to twelve. She had a reputation, as did her sister, for wandering off course and in 1925 was fitted with a gyro compass controlled steering gear which was a new innovation at the time and supposedly cut the passage time from Melbourne to London by two days. In 1929 the management decided that as she was only fifteen years old it was worth the expenditure to re-engine her with Bauer-Wach exhaust turbines which increased fuel efficiency by some 15%-25% and to recover the cost over the following six years. Unfortunately the sudden slump in shipping trade began later that year and by 1931 she was laid up in the River Blackwater. Whilst laid up a fire broke out and the hot plating was doused by crew members and volunteers from other ships until the fire fighting equipment arrived. She was repaired on the Tyne and immediately laid up there. During 1936/7 she was again laid up in the River Blackwater until she returned to the meat run where she remained unscathed for the duration of the Second World War. On 18th May 1948 she arrived at Blyth, Northumberland and was broken up by Hughes, Bolckow (Summary from 1919 source - from red-duster website)
image as A16 at Colombo 1914 available as as Modern digital Photo postcard & larger Print. Click on image for details



A17    PORT LINCOLN

1912-42

7,243 gross tons. Lb: 426 x 54 feet (129.8 x 16.5 metres). Single screw, quadruple expansion engine making 13 knots. Cargo steamship built 1912 by Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn Newcastle for W Milburn & Co, London. Had accomodation for 600-steerage class passengers in 'tween deck' dormitories. From 1912 W Milburn & Co entered into a contract with the Government of Victoria for the carriage of emigrants. 1914 ship and fleet sisters transferred to the Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd, London (Port Line)

Leased by the Commonwealth until 26 September 1917

18 October 1914 departed Melbourne with 4th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) 4th Light Horse Brigade

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Completed eight transport voyages from Australia commencing 18 October 1914 until final voyage from Fremantle 30 June 1917

During that time carried seventeen Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, twelve Field Artillery (Army) Brigade Reinforcements, fourteen Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, one contingent of Camel Reinforcements, the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 4th & 16th Reinforcements, twenty-three Machine Gun Battalion Reinforcements & Medical Officers

POST HOSTILITIES

Three name changes since, being sold 1927 to William Thomas Shipping Co, London (R J Thomas & Co) and renamed Cambrian Baroness. 1930 sold to the Clan Line and renamed Clan Graham. 1938 sold to Neill & Pandelis, London and renamed Maritima

Became casualty World War 11 being torpedoed & sunk by Submarine (U.522) at 52.20N/45.40W - 500 miles NE St Johns Newfoundland 2nd November 1942
image at Port melbourne 20 October 1916 as A17 as a Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A18    WILTSHIRE

1912-22

10,390 gross tons. Lb: 526.5 x 61.4 feet (160.5 x 18.7 metres). Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine 2 x 4 cylinders each 6500 hp. 14 knots. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship built 1912 by John Brown, Clydebank for the Federal S N Co Ltd, London. Serviced Britain - Australia - New Zealand trade

18 October 1914 at Melbourne embarked the 4th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) A, B & C squadron & their Machine Gun Section, the 2nd Field Ambulance (Victoria) First Division


1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the first detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
10 December 1914 disembarked the 4th Light Horse Regiment in Egypt

Completed nine transport voyages from Australia commencing 18 October 1914 until final voyage from Sydney 9th November 1918

During that time carried the 4th Field Artillery Brigade and their 1st Reinforcements, 1st Division Ammunition Column 4th Reinforcements, thirty-fourth Infantry Battalion Reinforcements, the 10th, 11th & 12th Field Artillery Batteries, the 4th Brigade Ammunition Column, the 1st Siege Artillery Brigade 15th Reinforcements, the 4th Light Horse Regiment (Victoria) A, B & C squadron & their Machine Gun Section, Sixth Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, the 1st Veterinary Section 11th Reinforcements, the 1st Mobile Veterinary Section 11th Reinforcements, the 2nd Mobile Veterinary Section 11th Reinforcements, the 1st Cyclist Battalion 3rd Reinforcements, the 2nd Field Ambulance & Medical Officers

Post Hostilities

Wrecked Rosalie Bay, Great Barrier Island New Zealand 31 May 1922 on passage London for Dunedin. Crew of 103 plus 1 stowaway. Carrying 10,000 ton general cargo. No lives lost . Is now a frequented 'Dive' wrecksite
image as A18 at Port Melbourne October 1914 now available for purchase as Modern digital Photo postcard & larger Print. Click on image for details



A19    AFRIC

1899-1917

11,948 gross tons. 167.6 x 19.3 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built by Harland & Wolff Belfast for Ismay Imrie & Co (White Star Line). Completed 2nd February 1899. Twin screw, quadruple expansion engines making 14 knots, cruising speed of 13 knots. Operated Liverpool-Cape Town-Sydney

October 1914 requisitioned as a Troop Transport for the Australian Government given prefix A19
Completed six Troopship voyages up to November 1916
During that time carried six Field Artillery Battery Brigades, the 1st Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade, 43rd Infantry Battalion 11th Infantry Brigade and their 1st Reinforcements, a further fourteen Infantry Brigade Reinforcements, five Division Trains of the Army Service Corps, two Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, two Mobile Veterinary Section Reinforcements, 2nd Veterinary Section (Victoria) 6th Reinforcements, 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 13th Reinforcements & Medical Officers
18 October 1914 departed Sydney with 1,416 AIF as the 1st Field Artillery Battery 1st Field Artillery Brigade, 2nd Field Artillery Battery 1st Field Artillery Brigade, 3rd Field Artillery Battery 1st Field Artillery Brigade, 1st Field Company First Division, 1st Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade and the 2nd Army Service Corps Company 1st Division Train
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
21st April - 13th May 1915 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 549 troops and 500 horses
17 May 1915 of Convoy 6 departed Sydney with 145 AIF
22 May 1915 departed Melbourne with 169 AIF
26 May 1915 departed Adelaide with 197 AIF & 1 RAN Officer
5th January 1916 of Convoy 16 departed Melbourne with 1524 AIF
5th June 1916 of Convoy 21 departed Melbourne with 343 AIF
9th June 1916 departed Adelaide with 1245 AIF
3rd November 1916 of Convoy 26 departed Sydney with 928 AIF
7th November 1916 departed Adelaide with 612 AIF and 3 Nurses
12 February 1917 outbound from Liverpool to Sydney via Cape Town torpedoed and sunk in the English Channel by UC-66, 50.00N/4.25W with a loss of 22 lives
left side image 5th June 1916 at Port Melbourne as A19 and, right side image in peace time livery at unidentified Australian port, both available for purchase as Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo postcards & larger Prints. Click on images for details



A20    HORORATA

1914-43

9461 gross tons, 5613 net, 10687 dwt. Lb: 511'2" x 64'3" x 28'7" (155.8 x 19.6 metres). Two quadruple expansion four cylinder steam engines, 26", 37", 53" and 76" x 48", 8493ihp @ 88.5rpm, twin screw, 15.7 knots. Six single ended Scotch boilers, 222psi. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) completed 23 May 1914 by W Denny & Sons, Glasgow for the New Zealand Shipping Co Ltd, London, registered Plymouth. Designed to carry 5 First Class and 1066 Steerage Class passengers in 'portable accommodation' specificially for the New Zealand emigrant trade

Leased by the Commonwealth until 11 September 1917

18 October 1914 departed Melbourne with 6th Infantry Battalion (Victoria) HQ (attached to 2nd Infantry Brigade), 7th Infantry Battalion (Victoria) HQ (attached to 2nd Infantry Brigade)

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Completed six transport voyages from Australia commencing 18 October 1914 until final voyage from Adelaide 7th November 1916

During that time carried the 6th & 7th Infantry Battalions (Victoria) HQ's (attached to 2nd Infantry Brigade), a further forty-five Infantry Battalion Reinforcements, nineteen Field Artillery Brigade Reinforcements, eight Division Ammunition Column Artillery Reinforcements, nine Machine Gun Company Reinforcements, ten Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, 1st Veterinary Section (New South Wales) 5th Reinforcements, 2nd Veterinary Section (Victoria) 5th Reinforcements, 1st Mobile Veterinary Section (New South Wales) 5th Reinforcements, 2nd Mobile Veterinary Section (Victoria, New South Wales) 5th Reinforcements, the 3rd Flying Squadron 2nd Reinforcements, the 1st Cyclist Battalion (New South Wales and Queensland) 12th Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

SINCE

12 September 1917 to 12 April 1919 Taken up under the Liner Requisition Scheme

August 1930 to January 1931 Laid up at London

July 1932 to February 1933 Laid up in the Falmouth

1934 to 1939: Served as a Cadet Training ship for 20 cadets

6th June 1939 Sold to British India Steam Navigation Co Ltd, London for £10,000 and renamed Waroonga. Cadet accommodation increased to 43 berths

7th March 1940 Requisitioned to serve in the Liner Division
Became casualty World War 11, being torpedoed by submarine (57.10N/35.30W) 5th April 1943 and sank next day. Bound from Sydney and New York to London in Convoy HX231 with 1500 tons of lead, 1000 tons canned meat, 1000 tons beef, 5000 tons of butter, general cargo and 218 bags of mail. 12 crew, 1 gunner, and 6 passengers were lost from an onboard compliment of 110 crew, 8 gunners, and 14 passengers
image departing Port Melbourne as a Troopship available as a Modern digital Photo postcard & larger Print. Click on image for details



A21    MARERE

1902-16

6443 gross tons. Lb: 137.2 x 16.8 metres. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots. Refrigerated cargo steamship built by Workman Clark, Belfast 1902 for Tyser Line Ltd, London. 1914 Company and fleet merged into the Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd, London (Port Line)

22 August - 12th September 1914 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 85 troops and 475 horses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

20 February 1915 departed Sydney with the 1st Division Ammunition Column 3rd Reinforcements (part) and the 6th Light Horse Regiment 2nd Reinforcements

16 August 1915 departed Sydney with the 1st Light Horse Regiment 7th Reinforcements, 9th Light Horse Regiment 7th Reinforcements (part), 1st Mobile Veterinary Section 7th Reinforcements and the 2nd Mobile Veterinary Section 7th Reinforcements

Sunk by a submarine (U-35) gunfire in the Mediterranean (35.51N/19.07E ), 18 January 1916 when on service Fremantle - Gibraltar
image at Newcastle NSW 1914 as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A22    RANGATIRA

1902-16

10,118 gross tons. Lb: 145.7 x 18.6 metres. Twin screw triple expansion engine making 13 knots. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) as built, completed February 1902 by Workman Clark, Belfast for Shaw, Savill and Albion Co Ltd, London

Leased by the Commonwealth until 15 February 1915


24 September 1914 at Pinkenba Wharf Brisbane embarked the 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade, 7th Field Artillery Battery, 1st Division Ammunition Column (part), 3rd Brigade Ammunition Column (1) (part) and the 3rd Field Ambulance

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces


30 March 1916 Stranded, wrecked upon Robben Island off Cape of Good Hope
image at Pinkenba Wharf Brisbane, Qld, 24 September 1914 as Modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger Print available. Click on image for details



A23    SUFFOLK

1902-27

7,083 gross tons. Lb: 460' x 58'2" (140.2 x 17.7 metres). Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship built 1902 by John Brown, Clydebank for Birt, Trinder & Bethell, London. 1911 owned by Potter, Trinder and Gwyn (Birt & Bethell in multi partnership), London. Was actually owned by the Federal Steam Navigation Co., London with abovementioned persons as 'paper' owners. Officially registered under Federal S N Co, London ownership in 1920. Placed upon the Great Britain - Australia - New Zealand service

Leased by the Commonwealth until 14 June 1917

18 October 1914 departed Sydney with 2nd Infantry Battalion (New South Wales) 1st Infantry Brigade

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

Completed five transport voyages from Australia commencing 18 October 1914 until final voyage from Sydney 24 April 1917

During that time carried the 2nd Infantry Battalion and a further thirteen Infantry Battalion Reinforcements, four Light Horse Brigade Reinforcements, 4th and 7th Field Company Engineers - (formed New South Wales) Second Division (Both renumbered 7th Field Company, Egypt, February 1916), 21st Army Service Corps Company 4th Depot Unit of Supply, 2nd Field Bakery, 2nd Field Butchery, the 1st Sanitary Section Second Division & Medical Officers

Post Hostilities

Completed service, resumed peacetime duties until scrapped by P & W MacLellan at Bothness, January 1927
image as Modern digital Photo postcard & Print available. Click on image for details



A24    BENALLA

1913-30

11,118 gross tons. Lb: 152.4 x 19 metres. (aka Lbd: 500 ft 2in x 62 ft 3in x 31 ft 8in)Two four cylinder quadruple expansion steam engines, 9000ihp, twin screws, 14 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) built by Caird at Greenock 1913 for the P & O SN Co, London. Designed for their UK / Australia emigrant service via the Cape of Good Hope (Branch Line)

1st - 14th October 1915 refitted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 1395 troops
19th October 1914 departed Melbourne with 8th Infantry Battalion (formed in Victoria) as attached to the 2nd Infantry Brigade & the 3rd Army Service Corps Company as attached to the 1st Division Train
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces
27 October 1915 departed Adelaide with the 10th Infantry Battalion 11th Reinforcements, 12th Infantry Battalion 11th Reinforcements, 16th Infantry Battalion 11th Reinforcements (part), 27th Infantry Battalion 6th Reinforcements, 3rd Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part), 9th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part), 11th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part) and, Medical Officers


January 1915 Returned to Owners - P&O for skeleton commercial service
19 July 1915 when Caught fire in No. 2 hold three days out of Capetown when bound for Sydney with 800 emigrants on board. The New Zealand Shipping Company’s Otaki stood by, but Benalla reached Durban under her own power and the fire was extinguished, with some difficulty, by the local fire brigade


1st November 1915 departed Fremantle with 16th Infantry Battalion 11th Reinforcements (part), 10th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) and, Medical Officers

3rd December 1915 Was in the Mediterranean carrying 2,500 troops when she intervened in a duel between the British India steamer Torilla and a German submarine, driving the U-boat off with her 4.7 inch gun and standing by the smaller ship until naval forces arrived

1st May 1916 departed Sydney with 35th Infantry Battalion & their 1st Reinforcements, 1st Machine Gun Company 3rd Reinforcements, 9th Machine Gun Company & their 1st Reinforcements and, the 14th Machine Gun Company 3rd Reinforcements
5th July 1916 departed Sydney with the 9th Field Ambulance (part)
9th November 1916 at Sydney embarked the 1st Field Artillery Brigade 22nd Reinforcements, 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade 22nd Reinforcements, 7th Field Artillery Brigade 6th Reinforcements, 9th Field Artillery Brigade 6th Reinforcements, 11th Field Artillery Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 21st Field Artillery Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 2nd Division Ammunition Column 11th Reinforcements, Artillery Light Trench Mortar Battery - 4th Reinforcements, 1st Infantry Battalion 23rd Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 23rd Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 23rd Reinforcements, 36th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 37th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 38th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 39th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 1st Cyclist Battalion 7th Reinforcements, & Medical Officers

10 May 1917 departed Sydney with 36th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements & Medical Officers

12 May 1917 embarked Medical Officers at Melbourne

22 May 1917 embarked Medical Officers at Fremantle


1917 Taken over under the Liner Requisition scheme for the Shipping Controller’s transatlantic munitions and supplies service


Post Hostilities

13 May 1921 Struck amidships by the tanker Patella in thick fog 7 miles off Eastbourne and beached in Pevensey Bay. Her passengers were disembarked the following day by the tender Lady Brassey and landed at Dover, while Benalla was pumped out and patched and then drydocked for repairs at Royal Albert Dock in London before she resumed trading
January 1927 Stranded in the Tees, Sunderland, having to be refloated by tugs. Later in 1927 she carried the first consignment of steel from the northeast of England for the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
3rd September 1930 Sold to Gentaro Kasegawa, Japan for demolition
28 October 1930 Delivered at Kobe. She was the last of her B-class Branch Line Sisterships to remain in service
image at Port Melbourne, 19 October 1914 as Modern digital Photo postcard & larger Print. Click on image for details



A25    ANGLO-EGYPTIAN

1912-55

7,379 gross tons. Lb: 129.5 x 17.2 metres. Single screw, quadruple expansion engine making 12 knots. Cargo steamship built 1912 by Short Bros, Pallion for the Nitrate Producers SS Co Ltd, (Lawther, Latta), London

Serviced Newcastle New South Wales with machinery and construction materials for BHP's Steelworks December 1913
Upon the outbreak of hostilities was requisitioned by Australian Government and from 10th - 19th September 1914 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 127 troops & 552 horses
Continued troopship duties 24 September 1914 up to April 1917
24 September 1914 departed Brisbane with 44 AIF as the Divisional Ammunition Column and (unconfirmed) the 2nd Light Horse Regiment
19 October 1914 departed Melbourne with 64 AIF as 1st Division Ammunition Column (part) [attached to the 1st Division Artillery] & (unconfirmed) sections of the 4th Light Horse Regiment A, B & C squadron
November 1914 assembled at Albany, Western Australia as part of the First Convoy
10 December 1914 disembarked the 4th Light Horse Regiment in Egypt
8th February 1915 of Convoy 3 departed Sydney with 60 AIF as the 1st Light Horse Regiment 3rd Reinforcements
12 February 1915 departed Melbourne with 62 AIF as the 8th Light Horse Regiment advanced party & Medical Officers
Steamed to Egypt and disembarked on 14 March 1915
12 May 1916 of Convoy 20 departed Sydney with 110 AIF as the 1st Light Horse Regiment 16th Reinforcements & Medical Officers
19 September 1916 of Convoy 25 departed Sydney with 91 AIF as the 6th Light Horse Regiment 20th Reinforcements, 12th Light Horse Regiment] 11th Reinforcements & Veterinary Reinforcements
31 January 1917 of Convoy 28 departed Melbourne with 93 AIF as the 8th Light Horse Regiment 23rd Reinforcements

Post hostilities

Continued cargo services undergoing two name and ownership changes until scrapped 1955
image at Port Melbourne October 1914 or February 1915 available for purchase as 6x4 inch postcard or larger print. Click image for details



A26    ARMADALE
1909-17

6,153 gross tons. Lb: 120.5 x 15.8 metres (Lbd: 395.5 x 51.9 x 27 feet). Coal powered triple expansion engine, 495nhp, 12 knots. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) built 1909 by Connell at Scotstoun for Australind SS Co, London. Employed upon the Western Australia service

Leased by the Commonwealth until 7 June 1917

11 - 22nd September 1914 converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 284 troops and 388 horses

20 October 1914 departed Melbourne with the 10th Army Service Corps Company [attached to the 5th Division Train]

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

12 February 1915 departed Port Melbourne with the 8th Light Horse Regiment 2nd Reinforcements and the 9th Light Horse Regiment (part) & their 2nd Reinforcements

14 March 1915 As known - the 9th Light Horse Regiment disembarked at Egypt

20 September 1915 departed Brisbane with the 25th Infantry Battalion 4th Reinforcements, 26th Infantry Battalion 3rd Reinforcements (part) & Medical Officers

21 March 1916 embarked the 1st Light Horse Regiment 15th Reinforcements, 1st Mobile Veterinary Section 15th Reinforcements, 2nd Mobile Veterinary Section 15th Reinforcements & Medical Officers at Sydney

19 July 1916 departed Melbourne with the 23rd Infantry Battalion 13th Reinforcements, 4th Mobile Veterinary Section 19th Reinforcements, 5th Mobile Veterinary Section 19th Reinforcements & Medical Officers

27 June 1917 Torpedoed and sunk by submarine U-60 about 160 nm NW of Tory Island off coast of Ireland in 56.17N 12.42W (Manchester for Salonika, troops & stores). Eleven people lost
image as Modern reproduction of original Art postcard now available as a 6x4 inch postcard and larger print. Click on image for details



A27    SOUTHERN

1912-40

4,769 gross tons. Lb: 118.5 x 16.5 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots. Cargo steamship built 1912 by J L Thompson, North Sands for the Central Shipping Co, London aka Lunsford S S Co Ltd, London (Harris & Dixon)

23 September 1914 departed Sydney with and later, 18 October 1914 departed Melbourne with the 1st Light Horse Field Ambulance as a combine unit from both of those ports
1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces


1915 Sold to NASM, Nederlands and renamed Maasdyk
1922 sold to Morel renamed Rhymney. 1936 sold to C A Roberts renamed MacDonald. 1937 sold to Chang Shu Chang renamed Pei Foo. 1938 sold to Kitagawa Sangyo renamed Kitifuku Maru
March 1940 wrecked
image as a modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger print available for purchase. Click on image for details



A28    MILTIADES

1903-23

6,793 gross tons. Lb: 138.7 x 16.8 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built 1903 by Stephen, Linthouse for G Thompson & Co Ltd, London (Aberdeen Line). Designed with clipper bow, dual sail/steam capacity. 1913 Lengthened to be 153.7 metres, re-measured as 7814 gross tons

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces.
7 February 1916 departed Adelaide with the 10th Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements, 27th Infantry Battalion 9th Reinforcements, 32nd Infantry Battalion 3rd Reinforcements & Medical Officers
12 February 1916 departed Fremantle with the 11th Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements, 16th Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements and the 28th Infantry Battalion 9th Reinforcements
1st August 1916 departed Melbourne with the 14th Infantry Battalion 19th Reinforcements, 23rd Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements, 24th Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements, Medical Officers & one Chaplain (4th class)
7th August 1916 departed Melbourne with the 11th Infantry Battalion 19th Reinforcements, 16th Infantry Battalion 19th Reinforcements and the 28th Infantry Battalion 14th Reinforcements

9th August 1916 departed Fremantle with the 44th Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements, 51st Infantry Battalion 4th Reinforcements, 4th Machine Gun Company 4th Reinforcements, Medical Officers & two Chaplains (1st & 4th class)
24 January 1917 departed Adelaide with the 27th Infantry Battalion 19th Reinforcements & Medical Officers
2nd August 1917 departed Sydney with the 1st Field Artillery Brigade 26th Reinforcements (part), 35th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 36th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 47th Infantry Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 53rd Infantry Battalion 10th Reinforcements & Medical Officers
29 January 1917 departed Fremantle with the 5th Broad Gauge Railway Operating Company, 11th Infantry Battalion 24th Reinforcements, 16th Infantry Battalion 24th Reinforcements, 28th Infantry Battalion 19th Reinforcements, 4th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements and the 51st Infantry Battalion 9th Reinforcements



1921 sold, renamed Orcana. 1923 scrapped

image 11st August 1916 at Port Melbourne as a modern 6x4 inch digital Photo postcard & larger print available for purchase. Click on image for details




TOP of PAGE
PAGE 1a
HMAT
A29 - A54
PAGE 1b
HMAT
A55 - A74
PAGE 2
HMNZT
New Zealand Transports
PAGE 3
RMS
Royal Mail Steamships
PAGE 4
Single voyage transports

PAGE 5
Hospital Ships *to be listed April 2018*

PAGE 6
Anzac related Postcards of the era *to be listed April 2018*



2007-18 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved