FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA-AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


WILLIAM HOLYMAN & SONS Pty Ltd

Operated under several names Wm Holyman & Sons Ltd, Holymans Pty Ltd, Holyman Bros Pty Ltd, James Holyman Pty Ltd, White Star Line and other proprietary companies including King Island Steamers, formed in 1910

HOLYMAN, WILLIAM (1833-1919)
Master mariner and shipowner, was born on 17 December 1833. Arrived Launceston Tasmania 12th June 1854. Soon married and Holyman settled at Devonport and worked on barges owned by his father-in-law. In 1861 he returned to active command in the ketch 'Cousins'. Ten years of profitable trading in her on the north coast of Tasmania encouraged him to buy the paddle-steamer Annie in 1871. This venture was not a success and she was sold in 1873. His three sons qualified as master mariners and in turn commanded ships which were added to the fleet of the family company, William Holyman & Sons.

The purchase in 1877 of the ketch 'Catherine' by William junior made it possible to take over 'Colleen Bawn', a converted schooner bought in 1874 and destined to be the 'mothership' of the Holyman fleet. In 1882 the company registered their ships as the White Star Line. In 1882 Holyman's only daughter Susannah married Harry Wood, a shipbuilder at Devonport. This added an important service to the Holyman company, which later bought several ships for enlargement and renovation at Wood's shipyard. Holyman retired from the sea in 1886. Management of the company was again revised with William, the second son, assuming the management of the company from his father and transferring its head office to Launceston. The company continued to expand its fleet and its operations. During 1890's began voyages to King Island, Bass Strait. In 1911 they bought automobiles to carry mail from Launceston to Beauty Point, the first regular mail service by motor car in Tasmania; pastoral estates of 27,000 acres (10,927 ha) were also developed on the islands of Bass Strait. Later the company inaugurated a commercial airline, known then as A.N.A. (Australia National Airways). Sadly one off the Holyman offspring lost his life along with complete disappearance of plane en route Tasmania to Mainland. Perserverence with airline operations continued with DC-2's then DC-3's being preferred and hard competition from the Government created TAA (trans-Australia Airways). During this journey Adelaide Steamship also bought shares into Holymans' airline and ultimately Ansett Airways merged with them. Away from the "aero" side Holyman's at one stage owned and operated 50 vessels on the Australian coast, being argueably the largest Australian fleet owner at a certain point in time. After all this, wound up shipping services in early 1970's.
Patricks Shipping make claim to ownership of Holyman's various operations up to 2008 although they themselves are now fully owned and operated by Toll Holdings Ltd as are all of Holyman operations

NOTE: While every effort was made in compiling the fleet and history of William Holyman & Sons as shipowners, this webpage is by no means complete


Fleet List A - Z Quick Link

AMY ANNIE AUSTRALIAN AWAROA BLAXLAND COLLIBOI DORSET GLADYS KELPIE KOOMEELA KOONOOKARRA KOORINGA LANENA LARANAH LEMANA LINDA LOATTA LORINNA LUTANA MARRAWAH MARY HOLYMAN MERILYN MONGANA ORION TAMBAR TARINNA TNT ALLTRANS TOROA WAREATEA (1) WAREATEA (11) WARRENTINA WAUCHOPE WILLIAM HOLYMAN WONIORA YAMBACOOMA ZINCMASTER



Ed Ed
FUNNEL FLAG


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
AMY
1875-1911
ANNIE
1866-1956
AUSTRALIAN
1879-1912
AWAROA
1904-25
BLAXLAND
1912-1960
AMY & AWAROA (b42344) images courtesy State Library Victoria
BLAXLAND image as Innisfail (303421) courtesy Australian War Memorial
AMY Steamship, 74 gross 38 net. on73335. Built at Pyrmont, Sydney, 1875. Lbd 96.6 x 15.1 x 6.5 feet. Originally a vessel of 53 gross, 36 net tons, lbd 81.2 x 15.0 x 6.9 feet., original owners unknown. She was extensively altered at West Devonport in 1898. Registered at Melbourne September 1904. Owned by W. Holyman & Sons - exact date unknown. Under Holyman's ownership, had sailed from Launceston for Hobart via St. Helens when her steering gear failed while passing over the St. Helenís bar and, she ran ashore 9 February 1911. Finally wrecked when a gale came in four days later. All saved
ANNIE 43 gross tons, 27 net. on53979. Wooden Paddle Steamship built and owned by J Sinclair at Yarra Bank Victoria. Ship registered at Melbourne 1867. Lbd 76' x 13'6" x 6.3". Held a 2 cylinder oscillating engine of 25 horsepower as constructed by Napier & Co, Glasgow. Owner intended vessel for the Schnapper Point - Dromana trade, and ran trials January 26th 1867 or 68. October 1868 owned by S Frankel, Launceston who intended her for use as a tug (which proved unsuccessful). March 1869 owned by Lewis Cohen (some say Coen) and William Wright, Launceston Tasmania. December 1871 owned by W Holyman and J Sayer. September 1873 owned by J M Sinclair (ship's builder although more likely owned by or in conjunction with Captain Irving, Port Darwin, with vessel registered Port Adelaide. At this point Darwin was under South Australia jurisdiction and vessel was placed upon the Darwin - Cooktown service at the height of the 'Palmer' goldrush. 1875 owned by Clifton & Alpin, Townsville with vessel's registry at Sydney. March 1880 given new steam engine and boiler and converted to single screw by J Sinclair, Melbourne. April 1881 owned by William Villiers Brown, Townsville. February 1884 owned by George Smith, Mackay with registry at Brisbane. No details since and register finally closed 1956 as 'No trace of vessel'.
AUSTRALIAN 362 gross tons, 191 net. Lbd: 160'3" x 22'5" x 10'5". Iron steamship built by Gourlay Bros, Dundee for B B Nicoll, Sydney. December 1879 of B B & G W Nicoll. November 1880 owned by John See. December 1891 owned by North Coast S N Co Ltd. February 1902 owned by Holyman & Sons Ltd., registered Launceston. 1907 of the West Coast Shipping Co Ltd, South Australia. May 8th 1912 stranded on Wardang Island, Spencer Gulf South Australia. All efforts in refloating her failed and she was stripped and abandoned where she lay
AWAROA 344 gross tons, 211 net. Lbd: 139' x 25'4" x 12'3". Wooden steamship built by Morrison & Sinclair, Balmain Sydney for R S Lamb of Sydney. 1905 owned by the Northern Union Steam Boat Co Ltd., Auckland New Zealand. 1907 owned by Kaipara Steamship Co Ltd. 1911 of the Wellington Harbour Ferries Limited. 1914 owned by L Wilson. 1915 owned by William Holyman & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. 1919 refitted with tonnage becoming 352 gross and 150 net. Sprang a leak when about twelve nautical miles south of Cape Liptrap, Victoria, and abandoned, 25th July 1925
BLAXLAND 399 gross tons. Lb: 144'4" x 32'2'. Steel twin screw steamship built by Mackie & Thomson Ltd., Govan, Glasgow for Allen Taylor & Co., Sydney. Two compounded engines set aft. Cargo vessel. Service speed 9 knots. Worked Camden Haven. Sold 1915 to William Holyman & Sons. Sold 1916 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith) and vessel's name changed to Innisfail. She then worked out of Townsville Queensland. Requisitioned during World War 2 and returned to owners in 1946. 1947 owned by W.R.Carpenter & Co Ltd, Port Moresby. 1949 sold to Lisin Nav Co Ltd, China. Deleted from Lloyd's Register 1960

Ed Ed Ed Ed
COLLIBOI
1916-32
DORSET
1883-1917
GLADYS
1889-97
KELPIE
1868-97
COLLIBOI image (gr000609) courtesy State Library Victoria
DORSET image courtesy Devonport Maritime Museum
KELPIE where is that ship?
COLLIBOI Twin-screw wooden coastal steamship, 310/144 tons. Built Balmain, Sydney. Lbd: 130.6 x 25.8 x 9.4 ft. Purchased by the Government of Tasmania in 1922 to maintain regular services to the Bass Strait Islands; sold to William Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd in 1929. Struck a reef close to Cape Grim, north- west Tasmania beached, dismantled where she lay, Woolnorth Point, 26 August 1932
DORSET 61 gross tons, 20 net. 82'1" x 17'4" x 6'9". Wooden steamship built by W Knight at Yarrabank Melbourne Victoria for the Launceston and Bridport S N Co., Launceston Tasmania. Compounded engine producing 30 horsepower. Worked out of Launceston to minor Tasmanian ports and as far as Strahan. Sold August 1884 to United Steamship Co Ltd. Remeasured to be 79 gross tons, 47 net with Lbd: 83' x 17'8" x 8'6". Sold September 1894 to W Holyman & Sons, Melbourne. 1896 lengthened to become 103'2" x 17'5" x 8'5" with tonnage of 105 gross and 45 net. Sold December 1907 to New Zealand interests, at some stage becoming a lighter and wrecked on 17th August off Kai-iwi, Wanganui New Zealand
GLADYS Auxilliary ketch. 50 gross, 45 net tons. on105683. Built Hobart, 1899 Registered Melbourne November 1915. Lbd: 73'4" x 17'6" x 6'8". Ship has been linked with Holyman ownership. Under Captain Burgess. Struck a rock off the northern corner of Three Hummock Island, West Bass Strait, 28 January 1923. Abandoned as a lotal loss. All four crew saved
KELPIE 13 gross tons, 5 net as built at Williamstown Victoria 1868. 1885 rebuilt and fitted with an engine by the Melbourne Coal Shipping Co's Engineering Works. Registered Melbourne late 1885. on88933 Lbd: 58'6" x 10' x 4'. Master-owner Thomas Holyman. 10 September 1897 when bound from Melbourne for Launceston, sprang a plank and foundered within ten minutes, sixty miles out of Port Phillip Heads. Crew escaped in the boat and made Penguin, North coast Tasmania

Ed Ed
KOOMEELA
1912-
KOONOOKARRA
1899-
KOOMEELA image (gr000113) courtesy State Library Victoria, KOONOOKARRA image at Dunelly (low resolution shown) available State Library Tasmania in higher resolution format
KOOMEELA Wooden steamer, cargo only. 191 gross tons. Built by D Drake Balmain Sydney 1912 for William Holyman & Son. Owned by the East Coast Steamship Company when she called at Port Albert Victoria. Acquired by the United States Army Small Ships Command in May 1942. Re- engined with 8 cyl. Diesel - G.M.C. rated 8 knots. She served in the Pacific and did not return to Australian waters. Sold by Commonwealth Disposal commission in 1945, registered Brisbane January 1946 and registry closed 1947. Sold to the Government of Portugal obviously for use in Timor
KOONOOKARRA Wooden steamship 165 gross tons approx. Built 1899 either at Singapore or traded from and for owner - H.W Stevens, with registry at Port Darwin. Owned by W. Holyman, in 1901 and registered Hobart 1905. Trade Melbourne to Tasmania. 1912 owned by Levers Pacific Plantations Ltd, registered Sydney later transferred to Tulagi, Solomon Islands. Fate unknown

Ed Ed Ed
KOORINGA
1902-26
KOORINGA
Gulf S.S. livery
KOORINGA
Holyman colours
1st image postcard at Hog Bay South Australia
centre image postcard in issue of her in Gulf Steamship colours
3rd image courtesy of State Library Victoria
KOORINGA 339 gross tons, 150 net. Lbd: 135'2" x 23'2" x 11'2". Steel steamship built by Napier & Miller, Glasgow in 1902 for the Yorke's Peninsular Steam Ship Co Ltd., Port Adelaide. Of Triple expansion engine producing 450 Ihp and capable of 12 knots. Designed as a passenger vessel for the South Australian coastal service. Of the Gulf Steam Ship Co Ltd, Adelaide 1907. Of the Coast Steamship Co Ltd., Adelaide 1914. Sold to William Holyman & Sons Ltd., Melbourne in August 1920 and placed upon the Tasmania - Bass Straits Islands - Melbourne service. Caught fire off Cape Schank, Victoria, and sank on the 14th January 1926

Ed
Launceston docks
1916
image courtesy of State Library Victoria
From right to left
TORORA, LARANAH, MONARA, WAKATIPU, and LOONGANA


Ed Ed Ed
LARANAH
1914-59
LARANAH
WW2
LARANAH
1st image courtesy of State Library New South wales
centre image courtesy of Australian War Memorial
3rd image courtesy of State Library Victoria
LARANAH 701 gross tons. Lb: 54.9 x 8.6 metres. Steel, single screw cargo ship built as the Island Queen by De Merwede at Hardinxveld for Shipping Investments Co Ltd (C.H.Pile), London, aka British Channel Island Shipping Co. Date of completion: 18 March 1914. Triple expansion engine making 8.5 knots. 1914 Sold to W.Holyman & Sons. Served WW2. Sold 1956 to Panama interests. Fate: hit object & sank 10nm N Lubang Island, South-West of Manilla 8th October 1959 (another source states sank 18 October 1959)


Ed Ed Ed
LANENA
1925-56
LEMANA
1956-75
LINDA
1887-1938
LANENA image courtesy of State Library Victoria
LEMANA image at Darling Hrbour Sydney 1967 (d7_26352r) courtesy State Library New South Wales and still subject to copyright
LANENA 1018 gross tons. Lb: 67.2 x 10.6 metres. Steel steamship, single screw cargo only as built by Nordseewerke at Emden for W Holyman & Sons. Triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Scrapped at Hong Kong 1st quarter of 1956
LEMANA 946 gross tons, 430 net, 1000 dwt. Lbd: 213'3" x 34' x 13'7" (65 x 10.4 metres). Cargo vessel built by George Brown & Co at Greenock, Yard No 265 for W Holyman & Sons, Melbourne (Another record stated registered Port Moresby). Intended name eas to be Barton and completed October 1956 as Lemana. British Polar Engines Ltd Glasgow. Propulsion: Oil 2SA 5cy 925bhp, machinery aft, Single screw, Service speed 11.5 knots. 1964 owned by Hethking Steamships Pty Ltd, Sydney. 1973 owned by Hua Seng Sawmill Co Bhd, Kuching Malaysia. 1974 owned by Leny Djoewita registered Panama and ship renamed Indah. 16 December 1975 during a storm foundered in Macassar Strait en-route Ujung Pandjang-Balikpapan, cargo of cement & general goods
LINDA 50 gross tons, 41 net. on79283. Originally built as a steamship at Dog Island, Bass Strait, 1887. Lbd: 72'5" x 17'8" x 6'2". Engine removed 1895 and auxilliary oil engine installed 1905 when sold to Holymans. Registered at Launceston July 1905. 1909 ran ashore at Little Dog Island in Bass Strait. April 1929, sank off Newnham Creek. Seems to have changed owners a few times until a return to Holymans in 1930. Hulked and scuttled on the west bank of the Tamar River, Tasmania with register closed 3 August 1939


Ed Ed Ed
LORINNA
1938-79
LOATTA
1938-63+
LUTANA
1922-56
LORINNA image (303546) courtesy Australian War Memorial
LUTANA image courtesy "Gordy"
LORINNA 1185 gross tons. Lb: 241' x 35' x 15'4" (70.3 x 10.7 metres). Steel hulled single screw motor vessel (diesel) built by Grangemouth Dockyard, Grangemouth for W Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Service speed 10.5 knots. Cargo only, as a timber carrier between Tasmania and the mainland. Was skippered by Elmer Malanot, who was an aristocratic Austro-Hungarian and former WWI U-Boat commander. Commandeered during WW2 in the 'Small Ships Fleet', as controlled by the U S Forces. Returned to owners post hostilities. Sold 1961 to J.Manners & Co renamed Brenda. 1968 renamed Union Brenda. December 1970 Accomodation badly damaged by fire at Brunei. Sold 1973 to Blanda Lines, Singapore reg. Panama 1977 same owners & renamed Luctor 1. Broken up at Gadani Beach October 1979
LOATTA 270 gross tons. Lbd: 106'8" x 25'0" x 8'5". O/N 152392 Wooden Sailing Vessel, Ketch (Auxilliary Oil Engine) Built 1938 by E A Jack, Launceston, Tasmania. Built for W Holyman & Sons and sold 1954 to R H Houfe & Co Pty Ltd. Was still trading during 1963. (Source: - David Mellhuish, Devonport Maritime Museum Tasmania with many thanks!)
LUTANA 918 gross tons. Lb: 63.0 x 9.8 metres. Steel single screw steamship built as the Machado by E J Smit, Westerbroek for F R Howe & Co, Cardiff. Registered Britain. ID No: 1145642. Triple expansion engine making 7.5 knots. 1924 purchased by W Holyman and renamed Lutana. 1955 sold to Philippines interests. Scrapped at Hong Kong January 1956


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MARRAWAH
1910-50
MARY HOLYMAN
1971-2005
MERILYN
1921-58
MARRAWAH art image courtesy State Library Tasmania, Black & white image courtesy State Library Victoria
MERILYN image as the Narrabeen
MARRAWAH 600 gross tons. Lb: 179.2' x 29.1' x 11.2' (50.3 x 8.6 metres). Steel steamship, passenger-cargo as built by Van Vliet at Hardinxveld for Shipping Investments Ltd (C H Pile), London. Single screw, triple expansion engine, 87 nhp. 19?? purchased by Holyman & Sons, Launceston. Began a regular service to Naracoopa jetty, King Island 1916. Known definitely December 1920 as trading between Melbourne and Stanley on Tasmania's North-west coast, via King Island in Bass Strait. Sold to Howard Smith in 1936. Serviced Bundaberg - Brisbane transporting sugar. November 1941 requisitioned as a minesweeper in Bass Strait. February 1943 and passed to U S Navy control (small ships). Returned to owners at War's end and laid up. 1947 sold to Riverside Dock & Engineering Co., Sydney. Stripped at Sydney 1950 and made as an Australian miltiary target off Sydney Heads 10th May 1951
MARY HOLYMAN 2577 gross tons. 3337 dwt. Lb: 101.2 x 17.9 metres. Cargo vessel (RoRo) built by Boeles Schps. & Mchf. N.V., Bolnes for Brandts Leasing Ltd and managed by Holymans under the Australian flag. Single screw, diesel engined making 15 knots. Was the last vessel operated under Holymans banner. 1888 sold, renamed Lisboa. 1992 owned by Cenk Denizcilik ve Ticaret Ltd. Sirketi, Turkey and renamed Cenk III. 1997 owned by Longview Navigation S.A., registered at St Vincent & the Grenadines and renamed Rana. January 2001 owned by Jazin Services S.A.R.L. and renamed Jazin I. Disposal Data: Demolition began 22 December 2005 at Aliaga
MERILYN 239 gross tons, 98 net. Lbd: 110' x 26'8" x 9'2". Wooden auxiliary ketch-rigged steamship, built as the Narrabeen and registered Sydney 1921 for use on Sydney Harbour. Came to Phillip Island & Westernport in and from 1928-32. Owned and registered Melbourne February 1933 by William Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd., and engaged in the Bass Strait Islands trade until sold to Adelaide interests in May 1948, when converted from a steamer. Sailed from Altona Victoria for Hobart, in fog, ran into rocks at the north-eastern end of Goose Island, Furneaux Group, Bass Strait 24th November 1958. Crew of seven landed safely on Goose Island. The cargo included 18 tons of explosives (gelignite), and as it was considered too dangerous to even attempt to salvage the vessel, she was blown up on 4 December 1958


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MONGANA
1908-
MONGANA
Maria Island, Easter 1912
ORION
sketch
ORION
1900-08
MONGANA 1st image personal collection
MONGANA 2nd image courtesy of National Library of Australia CATGNLWN an23796307 PIC/PIC-7485-164 LOC Album 947
ORION Leftside image when launched at West Devenport in 1900 (slt-PH3012495) couresy State Library Tasmania, Right side image courtesy State Library of Victoria
MONGANA Built by Purdon & Featherstone, at Battery Point, Tasmania. Serviced Maria Island, off Tasmania's East coast as a passenger - cargo vessel. Requisitioned World War 2 as an 'examination vessel' prefix S-27. June 7 1943 departed Cairns with Portable surgical hospital officers and bound for Portland Road, Iron Range Cape York. No further details known
ORION 214 gross tons, 114 net. Lbd: 123'9" x 21'5" x 10'2". Wooden steamship built by Harry Wood at Devonport, Tasmania for William Holyman & Sons Ltd, Launceston. Held a compounded engine producing 40 nautical horsepower. Built as a passenger vessel for the Northern coast port of Tasmania to Melbourne. Left the North-Western Tasmanian port of Smithson for Melbourne on 7 May 1908 but was not seen again, presumed lost in Bass Strait with a loss of 27 souls


Ed Ed Ed
TAMBAR
1912-60
TAMBAR
Darwin 1943
TAMBAR
Jemmys Point Gippsland
1st image courtesy of State Library Victoria
Darwin image courtesy Australian War Memorial
TAMBAR 456 tons. Lbd: 145'2" x 30'1" x 8'7". Steel twin screw steamship of 73 horsepower built at Grangemouth, 1912 for the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Operated on the New South Wales north coast run. Sold to New Guinea interests 1919. Sold to Tasmanian Government in 1928, then Holyman & Sons. WW2 was commissioned by R.A.N. as a minesweeper. Returned to Holyman's in 1946. Scrapped at Melbourne 1960


Ed Ed Ed
TARINNA
1955-92
TOROA
1899-1916
TOROA
at No 9 South Wharf Melbourne
TARINNA image personal collection
TOROA images courtesy of State Library Victoria
TARINNA1596 gross tons. 1890 dwt. Lb: 78.3 x 12.1 metres. Steel motorship (diesel) built by Grangemouth Dockyard, Grangemouth for this concern. Single screw cargo vessel making 11 knots. Sold 1971 to Unique Shipping & Trading Co and renamed Bonastar. 1982 sold to Apollo Transport and renamed Seng Hing. Foundered 1.15N/105.38E 1st December 1992 bound Sibu-Penang, with cargo of timber products
TOROA 388 gross tons, 174 net. Lbd: 140' x 24'2" x 10'. Steel single steamship built by Allsup & Co., Preston Tasmania. First owners Richardson & Co Ltd., registered at Napier, New Zealand. Held triple expansion engine. Owned by William Holyman & Sons Ltd from 1908. Serviced the Bass Strait islands as a limited passenger - cargo vessel. Wrecked upon Rabbit Island Bass Strait, April 12th 1916

,br>
Ed
WAREATEA (1) - 1883-1945
First Day Cover Commemorate under Union Steam Ship Flag


Ed Ed Ed
WAREATEA (1)
1883-1945
WAREATEA (11)
1952-84
leftside images courtesy of State Library Victoria, far right image personal collection
WAREATEA (1) Steamship, 512 gross tons. Built by H M McIntyre at Paisley Scotland, 1883 for the Westport Coal Co Ltd, Dunedin. Lbd: 170'2" x 26'1" x 11'4". Propulsion: Steam compound C2cy 70nhp. 1887 owned by Union Steamship Company, Dunedin. Sold to Holymans Ltd, Launceston in 1904. Used on the Melbourne - Tasmania run for many years as a one-class passenger ship. 1925 of W Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Later stripped down as a cargo only vessel (475 gross, 272 net). Scuttled off Port Phillip heads Bass-Strait, 16 March 1945
WAREATEA (11) 1430 gross tons. 1465 dwt. and 254 feet in length. 77.4 x 11.3 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel (refrigerated) built by Henry Robb Ltd of Leith for William Hollyman and Sons. Powered by an 8 cylinder 2scsa oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd of Glasgow. 1971 After nearly 20 years on the Adelaide to Hobart run and being replaced by a RoRo she was sold to Concordia Shipping of Singapore and renamed Bonahope. 1972 Sold once again to Poriental Navigation Co S.A. of Singapore. Her history is some what cloudy after this and her registry was deleted from Lloyds in August 1981 whilst her Singapore Registry was closed in 1984 and Lloyds registry deleted 1992

Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
WARRENTINA
1883-19__
WAUCHOPE
1905-19
WILLIAM HOLYMAN
1961-80
WARRENTINA left side image at Whales Head, West Coast, between Arthur and Pieman River - (PH3012500) image & right side image(MMT_P_GSL444_1_w) both courtesy State Library Tasmania
WAUCHOPE 2nd image (04966r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
WARRENTINA Wooden hull, single screw steamship built at Battery Point by James Mackay. Owned by Robert Hall in 1883, built by James Mackay. 162 tons 11 ft. long with a figurehead of an eagle with outstretched wings. The Warrentina traded from Hobart along the East Coast to Launceston and occasionally to Strahan. In 1902 Captain Hall sold the vessel to William Holyman. Involved in seagoing rescue 1913. No further details
WAUCHOPE 269 gross tons, 162 net. Lbd: 127'5" x 25'5" x 9'2". Twin screw wooden steamship, of limited passenger capacity as built by D Sullivan at Coopernook New South Wales for N Cain's Coastal Co-Operative Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney. Compounded engine making 43 horsepower. 1910 sold Stephenson & Gunn of King Island and registered at Launceston Tasmania. 1911 to King Island Steamers Ltd, a subsidiary of William Holyman & Sons. Whilst anchored at the quarantine station, Portsea, Port Phillip Bay, destroyed by fire and several explosions, on the 1st of August 1919. Petrol and bottles of acetylene gas added to the inferno. She drifted toward Sorrento and went aground 200 yards from the shore, a total loss
WILLIAM HOLYMAN 1975 gross tons, 2000 dwt. Lb: 78.4 x 14.5 metres. Steel single screw diesel engined motorship built at the State Dockyard, Newcastle New South Wales for W Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd., Melbourne. Cargo only and capable of 11 knots. IMO: 5390759 Regular berth at 18 South Wharf Victoria. Commenced service 1st August 1961, on the 290 mile run across the Bass Strait between Melbourne, Victoria and Launceston, on the north coast of island State of Tasmania. Was the first Australian ship built specifically as a container carrier and embodies special features to facilitate fast and efficient cargo handling - Most cargo was loaded pre-packed in steel containers 16 feet long, 4 feet and 6 inches wide, and 6 feet deep. Sold 1976 to Maldives Shipping Ltd., registered Maldives and renamed Maldive Swift Fate - trapped Khorramshahr (Caught in Shatt-Al-Arab Waterway) 14 September 1980 & written off

WONIORA
1913-59
823 gross tons. Lb: 59.4 x 9.5 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 8.5 knots. Steel hulled steamship built by Hall Russell at Aberdeen for owners Bellambi Coal Co, Sydney. Under Holyman ownership from 1926 and serviced Devonport - Melbourne. Was fired upon off Port Phillip heads at onset of World War 2. She failed to stop and be recognised on passing the fort at Point Nepean and was duly acted upon with a salvo fired across her bows. April 1958 laid up Appleton dock Melbourne and sold 1959 to for demolition at Hong Kong
WONIORA image courtesy State Library Victoria

YAMBACOOMA
1899-1917
184 gross tons. Single screw steamship. Length 110 feet. Built 1899 by E A Jack, Launceston, Tasmania. Possibly originally owned by Weston & Johnston, Sydney. Recorded as owned by the Gunn family of King Island purchased by Holyman's 1914. Also recorded as a Collier. Struck on the Skillion at Terrigal, New South Wales foundered, 24 February 1917
image courtesy of Gunn Bros Industries Tasmania


HEATHER BELLE
1905-37
55 gross tons. Wooden ketch built by Charles Lucas at Woods Point Slipway, Battery point Hobart for H Heather. o/n: 119238. 1907 acquired by William Holyman & Sons Pty Ltd. 7th October 1918 wrecked at Bannwell near Swanport Tasmania. Sold as a wreck, salvaged by new (unknown) owners and repaired. 18 May 1937 destroyed by fire at Wallaroo, South Australia
image courtesy of Devonport Maritime Museum, photo credit A W Marshall of Devonport


CATHERINE
c1877 ketch
COLLEEN BAWN
1878 Converted schooner
ALBION
ARISTIDES
Ketch
The above four vessels most likely sail only vessels. Information on this Shipping Line very obscure


as HOLYMAN OPERATIONS PTY LTD
subsidiary of Toll Holdings Ltd
ALL TRANS
1983-2___
27662 gross tons, 35218 dwt. Bulk carrier built by Hitachi Zosen, Innoshima. First owners TNT Bulkships. 189.1 x 29.4 metres. Single screw, diesel engine. Service speed 14.5 knots. 1994 renamed All Trans with Holyman Operations Pty Ltd as registered owners and ASP Ship Management as Managers. 2008 renamed Star Carrier for unknown owners. Still in service
image courtesy Matterson Marine/Shippingdatabase


ZINCMASTER
1975-
10820 gross tons, 15693 dwt. Lb: 165.2 x 21.3 metres. Ore carrier built by BHP Whyalla Shipbuilding South Australia for Holyman Operations Pty Ltd., Hobart . Single screw, diesel engine making 15 knots. (Particular requirements of Electrolytic Zinc Pty. Ltd., to carry zinc concentrate from Port Pirie in South Australia and Burnie in Northern Tasmania to their zinc refinery located at Risdon in Southern Tasmania, plus the transport of zinc ingots from Risdon to the mainland ports, presented a unique multi role shipping problem. The vessel developed to undertake this task was Zincmaster which combined bulk carrying capacity for concentrate, together with roll on roll off facilities for zinc ingots using a low ramp. Due to the physical separation of the roll on roll off operation from the ore handling activity, unloading of concentrate by wharf cranes equipped with grabs, is undertaken simultaneously with loading of bundled ingots by heavy fork lifts. This simultaneous discharge and loading capability significantly reduced port time compared to previous practice. A later requirement was that Zincmaster should have the capability of carrying 5000 tons of concentrated sulphuric acid, and so a 20 metre mid-body section containing the new acid tanks, pumprooms and auxiliaries were added. These modifications made this 15,000 ton dw vessel a very versatile, multi role carrier. 1979 Lengthened - 177.9 x 169.4 metres, 12703 gross tons, 17605 dwt. Under TNT/ASL was sold renamed J D Mitchell. Still in service
image courtesy Matterson Marine/Shippingdatabase


HOLYMAN FERRIES Pty Ltd
HOLYMAN - SALLY FERRIES
Both as subsidiaries of Toll Holdings Ltd
CONDOR EXPRESS
1996-___
5005 gross tons, 340 dwt. Ferry (RO/RO) built by Incat Tasmania, Hobart for Condor Ferries, that concern being joint owned by Commodore Shipping of Guernsey and Holyman. Vessel often known as HSC Condor Express. 86 x 26 metres. Quadruple screw, diesel engine. Service speed 44 knots. Flagged in Singapore. Holyman Operations Pty Ltd as as Managers. Operated under Condor Ferries on the service between Weymouth and the Channel Islands UK. Apart from occasional services for Brittany Ferries, runs regularly between Weymouth - Channel Islands - Poole - Channel Islands - Weymouth and is still in service
Image Postcard in Issue
CONDOR 12
1996-___
4112 gross tons, 310 dwt. Lb: 81.2 x 26 metres. Built by Incat Australia Pty. Ltd., Hobart for Holyman Ferries Pty Ltd. Flagged Singapore. Quadruple screw, diesel engine. Service speed 43 knots. December 1997 renamed Holyman Rapide. 1998 renamed Rapide for unknown owners and carried Luxemburg registry. 1905 under ownership of Hoverspeed Holyman Ltd., renamed Seacat Rapide with registry as Italy. November 2006 sold to Eurolineas Maritimas SAL renamed Jaume II and registered Spain. Still in service. Built for Holyman as Condor 12 she initially operated for Condor Ferries which at the time was part owned by Holyman. She was replaced by a larger fastcraft in 1997 and moved to Holyman Sally's Ramsgate - Ostend service. As was the case with the Diamant she was renamed Holyman Rapide as a result of a competition. In 1998 she was transferred to Holyman Hoverspeed along with her sister and the vessel's name was shortened to Rapide. She briefly returned to Condor Ferries to cover for the refit of Condor Express and operated between Poole and the Channel Islands for one month. As with the Diamant, Rapide came under Sea Containers Ltd ownership. She remained on the Dover - Ostend route until 2001 when she moved to the Sea Containers Ltd/IOMSPC Liverpool - Dublin service. In 2002 she moved to Heysham - Belfast and eventually replaced Seacat Scotland on the Belfast - Troon service in 2003 until the end of the 2004 season. In 2005 she transferred to Dover - Calais alongside her sister where she more or less remained until the closure of the service in the same year. She was renamed Seacat Rapide upon her transfer to the Italian register. She also received the Hoverspeed Union Flag livery. On 18 June 2006 she sailed from her lay-up spot at Tilbury, London to Algeciras. She has now been sold to Balearia Eurolineas and renamed Jaume II.
Image Postcard in Issue
HOLYMAN DIAMANT
1996-___
Purchased by Holyman before completion in 1996 she was launched as Holyman Express but was renamed Holyman Diamant in 1997 as a result of a competition to decide the names of the fast ferries for use on the Holyman Sally service between Ramsgate and Ostend. In 1998 Holyman Hoverspeed was formed and the vessel's name was shortened to Diamant. Her UK base of operations was moved to Dover and she received Seacat livery. Hoverspeed eventually purchased Holymans share and Diamant came under Sea Containers Ltd ownership. She remained on the Dover - Ostend route until 2001 where she operated on the Newhaven - Dieppe route for the summer season. In 2002 she briefly operated for IOMSPC before commencing her last summer on Newhaven - Dieppe. In 2004 she transferred to Dover - Calais where she more or less remained until the closure of the service in november 2005 [1]. For her last two seasons in Hoverspeed service she wore a distinctive Union Flag livery in an attempt to show how British Hoverspeed were, Diamant was built in Australia, owned by a Bermuda registered company and the vessel itself was registered in Nassau, Bahamas and later moved to the Italian Registry as Seacat Diamant. Along with her sister she has been reported as sold to Balearia. She left Liverpool (where she was chartered to the Isle of Man Steam Packet to provide additional capacity for the 2006 TT races period) for Oporto, Portugal (unlike Rapide which sailed to Algeciras) on 20 June 2006, two days after her sister left Tilbury. As of July 2006, she was chartered to Balearia Eurolineas of Spain and renamed Jaume III
Image Postcard in Issue


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2008-12 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved