FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

Page 1
A to Z
quick jump

Aeon (1)
Aeon (11)
Age (1)
Age (11)
Age (111)
Amanda Miller
Balarr
Balmain
Barrabool
Bass Reefer
Bellarine
Bombala
Boveric
Buninyong
Burwah (1)
Burwah (11)
Burwah (111)
Caldare
Caledon
Caltex Kurnell
Caltex Liverpool
Caltex Manchester
Caltex Port KemblaCaltex Sydney
Camira
Canberra
Canopus
Century (1)
Century (11)
Cheviot
Chillagoe
Chronos
Conara
Cooma
Cycle (1)
Cycle (11)
Cycle (111)
Cycle (1V)
Dandenong
Dawn
Derwent
Dispatch
Dromana
Dubbo
Eastern Enterprise
Page 2
A to Z
quick jump
Edina
Ellen
Era (1)
Era (11)
Era (111)
Eskdale
Ethel Jackson
Eumeralla
Express (1)
Express (11)
Express (111)
Fiado
Franklin
Gabo
Gambier
Geelong
George Rennie
Gerringong
Governor Blackall
Howard-Smith (tug)
Howard-Smith (oil/bulk 1964)
Howard-Smith (bulk 1981)
Iceberg
Innisfail
Island-Seaway
Julia Percy
Keilawarra
Kintore
Konoowarra
Kotuku
Kowarra
Kuaka
Lady Isobel
Lass O'gowrie
Leura
Lindesay Clark
Lomavita
Macedon (1)
Macedon (11)
Macedon (111)
Maggie L Weston
Maid Of The Yarra
Malachite
Manawatu
Marrawah
Page 3
A to Z
quick jump
Moreton
Moruya
Mount Elliot
Mourilyan (1)
Mourilyan (11)
Myall
Myarra
Myola
Nancy Heath
Nelson
Omeo
Pacific Explorer
Pacific Mariner
Pacific Navigator
Pacific Rover
Pacific Shell
Pacific Spirit
Pacific Trader
Pacific Voyager
Peregrine
Period
Portland
Queen
Ready
River Derwent
River Glenelg
Robert Miller
Rodondo
Sampson
Sandra Marie
Saros
Sphene
Stolt Australia
Taiko
Taranui
Time (1) 1890
Time (11) 1913
Toanui
Trio
Tyrian
Wallarah
Wallsend
William Miskin
You-Yangs
Yuloo

PORT AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES



IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA ESSENTIAL DATA

OF

Ed Ed Ed

HOWARD SMITH
Limited

also traded as
W Howard Smith Ltd.
W H Smith & Sons Limited


AUSTRALIAN STEAMSHIPS Limited

became
HOWARD SMITH INDUSTRIES
Proprietary Limited from June 1964


Captain William Howard Smith arrived in Melbourne 7th July 1854 aboard the steamer 'Express' as Captain and part owner with engineer S B Skinner. From 3rd October 1854 commenced working the Melbourne - Geelong Port Phillip bay trade, considered as the first regular passenger service on the Australian coast.
1862 sold his half share in the Express to T J Parker of Geelong and set out to England, returning with the steamship 'Kieff" in 1864.
Along with A G Robinson of London, and Melbourne coalfactor, J L Burke, as part owners the 'Kieff' was renamed 'You Yangs' and serviced from late 1864 the Melbourne - Sydney - Newcastle service. The service was advertised under the title 'Melbourne Steam Ship Company and proved popular with the limited accomodation provided for passengers.
This brought about the purchase of a second vessel, 'Dandenong' in 1867, again a commercial success as a passenger-cargo vessel.
These partners formed the Melbourne Steamship Company (unincorporated) 1869 acquiring several vessels until 1883 when a dissolution of the company saw each business partner going their own way.
William Howard Smith took with him at least two steamers, the Edina and the Rodondo, and in October 1883 W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., was formed.
July of 1901 Howard Smith Limited came into being and December 1913 evolved into Australian Steamships Limited.
By 1868 services were extended to Newcastle and in 1880 regular services operated to Maryborough, Adelaide, Brisbane and Rockhampton. Coastal routes rapidly expanded until 1947 when the company's involvement in the inter colonial passenger trade ceased.
June 1964 name changed to Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd.
Following a prolonged takeover battle, Howard Smith Ltd, Ampol Petroleum Ltd and Bulkships Ltd emerged in 1973 as the major shareholders in R. W. Miller. In 1979 the firm became a subsidiary of Howard Smith

Ironically whatever was left of the 'second' Melbourne Steamship Company, which name changed to Melbourne Steamships Limited, was bought out during 1961 by this concern.
The company was also heavily involved in the towage, salvage and stevedoring industries. Howard Smith withdrew from the traditonal shipping business in 1996 and from the towage industry in 2001 and the company was taken over by Wesfarmers Ltd., Perth.
This webpage details all known vessels under W H Smith's ownership
Page 2
Ee-Ma
THIS IS PAGE 1 Page 3
Mo-Yu



Ed Ed Ed
Funnel - early Handbook Funnel - traditional



Ed Ed
AEON (1)
1905-08
AEON (11)
1913-55
AEON (1) image courtesy of State Library Victoria
AEON (11) image courtesy of State Library New South Wales
AEON (1) 4,221 gross tons. Lb: 109.8 x 14.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo steamship built by Northumberland at Howden England for Howard Smith Co Ltd, Melbourne. Triple expansion engine. 18th July 1908 wrecked on coral reef at Christmas Island
AEON (11) 3,763 gross tons. Lb: 111.3 x 15.4 metres. Steel single screw cargo steamship built by Dixon (Raylton) at Middlesbrough for Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith), Melbourne. Quadruple expansion engine making 11 knots. 1955 sold to John Manners & Co., Hong Kong renamed Nepean Breeze. 1957 sold to Wheelock Marden and renamed Lisboa. Broken up at Taiwan 1960


Ed Ed Ed
AGE (1)
1888-1933
AGE (2)
1923-72
AGE (3)
1936-70
AGE (1) image courtesy of State Library Victoria
AGE (11) & (111) images courtesy Australian War Memorial
AGE (1) 2,284 gross tons. Lb: 88.3 x 11.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Withy at Middleton for W H Smith & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Laid down as the Melbourne on the stocks but launched and completed as the Age. Held triple expansion engine. 1920-21 sold to Cia. de Lota y Coronel (Lota & Coronel), Valparaiso renamed Don Thompson. Broken up at Chile 1933
AGE (11) 4,718 tons. Lb: 114.6 x 16.1 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by J L Thompson, North Sands Sunderland. Triple expansion engine making 10.5 knots. 1934 sold to USSR Govt Russia renamed Kazan. 1936 renamed Lensovet. 1939 sold to the Spanish Govt renamed Castillo Bellver 1961 sold to Maritima Colonial renamed Kogo. Broken up at Spain 1971-2
AGE (111) 4,734 tons. Lb: 88.3 x 11.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Hawthorn Leslie at Hebburn for Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith), Sydney. Time chartered by BHP July 1959 intially for 12 months. Subsequentially for a further four years, ultimately becoming nine years. 1968 sold to Collin Navigation Co., Panama renamed Collin Rose in 1969. Wrecked Paluan Bay, Mindoro 17th October 1970


Ed Ed Ed Ed
AMANDA MILLER
1971-96
BALARR
1948-76
BALMAIN
1883-1904
BARRABOOL
1874-1912
AMANDA MILLER image courtesy of Mattmar Marine
BALARR image personal collection
BARRABOOL (b38695) image courtesy State Library Victoria
AMANDA MILLER 39,059 gross tons. 66803 dwt. Lbd: 780' x 109' x 43'. (239.3 x 32.3 metres) Oil tanker built at the BHP Whyalla Ship Building and Engineering Works, Whyalla, South Australia specifically for the R.W. Miller and Co., and was the largest ship built in Australia at that time. Single screw, diesel engine service speed of 16 knots. She was fully controlled by a computer on the bridge. In April 1970 whilst under construction a disastrous fire destroyed the partially completed hull. Damage estimated at $3,000,000.00. The rebuilt "Amanda Miller" was finally launched in February 1971. The ship had a crew of 37 seamen including the officers. She lifted her first cargo, Bass Strait crude oil, in early September 1971. Came under management of Howard Smith Industries. Sold 1987 to the Revay shipping group, renamed Amity Star. 1988 Derby. 1991 Seapanther. 1994 Primo. 94 Lido II. Broken up at Alang commening 1st October 1996
BALARR 4,053 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'2" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo steamship, coal fired. Built at the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, shipyard at Whyalla, South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. Sold upon completion to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith Ltd) Australia. June 1964 owner name change to Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. 1966 converted to burn oil as fuel and side port vehicle doors fitted. March 1970 sold to Cia Nav Pearl S.A. Panama renamed Suying. 1973 Teh-Hu Cargo-ocean Management took over administration of vessel. 1974 sold to Pontos Freighters Ltd Panama and renamed Pontos Princess. March 1976 scrapped Gadani Beach, Pakistan
BALMAIN 604 gross tons, 377 net. Lbd: 186' x 27'1" x 10'8". Steel steamship built by Dobie & Co., Glasgow for W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Sydney. Held a compounded engine producing 85 horsepower, 2 single ended coal fired boilers, 90 psi as constructed by James Jack & Co., Liverpool. Designed with passenger carrying capacity, she serviced the Melbourne and Sydney run as well as travelling as far as Fremantle and Queensland on occassion. August 1892 sold to A Sneddon, Sydney who utilised her as a collier with passenger accomodation, servicing Sydney - Newcastle. Sneddon embraced the title 'Balmain Line of Steamers' and offered reduced fares in enticing passengers. Sold October 1904 to B Einerson & Partner, who converted her into a hulk. Sold in 1906 to Scott Fell Shipping Co., fate unknown
BARRABOOL 942 gross tons, 588 net. Lbd: 224'8' x 30'5" x 14'8". Iron steamship built at Palmers Ship & Engineering Co., Jarrow-on-Tyne for W H Smith & Partners who traded as the Melbourne Steamship Co., Melbourne. Designed as a passenger-cargo vessel, 2 funnels machinery aft and being 2 cylinders producing 140 horsepower. February 1881 engine compounded and reboilered and one funnel removed. 1883 owned by Howard Smith & Sons Ltd, Melbourne. Her registry was later transferred to Port Adelaide and since to Sydney. Collided with three ships in her travels, sinking two and gaining the nickname "The Great Australian Ram" and was said to steer so badly that other ships got out of her way when they saw her approaching. Her 'victims' were - the steamship 'Queensland' of the E & A Line on August 3rd 1876, the 'Bonnie Dundee' on March 10th 1879 and the 'Birksgate' on August 9th 1884. 1912 Barrabool was blown ashore in Fitzroy River, Queensland and seriously damaged. Later converted as a coal storage hulk at Sydney, 1944 sold to K Selvinen, Sydney, 1950 scuttled off Sydney Heads


Ed


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BASS REEFER
1978-2003
BELLARINE
1877-1900
BOMBALA
1904-35
BOVERIC
1898-1933
BELLARINE image courtesy State Library Victoria
BASS REEFER 2,414 gross tons, 668 net, 2,745 deadweight. Lbd: 99.52 x 17.84 x 5.77 metres. Cargo carrier as completed by Ube Dockyard Co Ltd., Osaka Japan for Dillingham Australia Pty Ltd (john Burke Shipping), Brisbane as the Sid Mcgrath. Machinery 2 x eight cylinder 4SA oil engines. Service speed of 16.25 knots and 18 crew. 1988 transferred to Coral Sea Shipping Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea with registry at Port Moresby. August 1989 known to have serviced Townsville - Brisbane. 26th November 1989 laid up at Brisbane. December 1989 receivers appointed to John Burke Ltd. 6th September 1990 acquired by Bass Express Ships Ltd (Sea Containers Ltd., Bermuda), with Linerbulk Shipping Pty Ltd., Melbourne acting as agents. She was renamed Bass Reefer and registered at Geelong, Victoria. BHP Transport Ltd appointed managers same year. Refitted at Brisbane and on 30th September 1990 entered service between Geelong and Stanley, Tasmania. 1991 owners named changed to Bass Reefer Pty Ltd. 31st January 1992 Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd appointed as managers until July 1992. September 1992 owners became Boxer 2 Ltd., Bermuda (Sea Containers Ltd) with vessel registered at Nassau, Bahamas. 1997 renamed Coral Trader. Deleted from register 2003/4
BELLARINE 117 gross tons. Built as Dispatch at Milang in less than 9 weeks in 1877 by Thomas Smith and Frank Potts for A H Landseer. She was 111.6 feet (324m) long, had a draft of 18 inches (457mm), could accomodate 60 passengers with bunks for 8 females and 12 males. Serviced the Milang-Meningie mail service across the lakes. She was a Royal Mail vessel and a vital link in the overland service between Adelaide and Melbourne. November 1888 sold to W H Smith & Sons Ltd of Melbourne and steamed to Port Phillip under her own power. 1889 renamed Bellarine, worked on Corio Bay Geelong until when 1900 sold to A Phillips, Melbourne and converted to a lighter. {Notoriety: - In November 1877, soon after she was built, the Governor of South Australia (Sir W F D Jervois) travelled on the Dispatch to Goolwa after visiting Milang. In 1881 Prince George (later King George V) and Prince Albert travelled on the Dispatch, skippered by Captain George J Wallace, to the Bowman's property, Campbell Park, to join in a kangaroo hunt}
BOMBALA 3,540 gross tons, 1,752 net. Lbd: 348' x 44'2" x 17'6". Steel steamship built by J Laing & Sons, Sunderland, for Howard Smith & Co's Fremantle service. Powered by triple expansion (4 cylinders) = 746 nhp. 4 single ended coal fired boilers. Mostly serviced Melbourne - North Queensland route in passenger status. 1913 of Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith). Sold 1929 to London interests, renamed Aspasia. Sold 1935 renamed Christos. Scrapped 1935 at Savona Italy
BOVERIC 3,987 gross tons. Lb: 105.2 x 15.2 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Russell at Port Glasgow for SS Boveric Co Ltd (Andrew Weir), Glasgow. Cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 1889 purchased by W H Smith & Sons Melbourne, arriving 1900 Australian waters. 1901 owner changed trading name as Howard Smith, Melbourne. Vessel retained original name until 1906 when renamed Cycle. 1916 chartered to British Government. Duties within WW1 unknown. 1919 sold to Rederiaktiebolaget Transatlantic, Gothenburg (G Carlsson) renamed Svarten. Broken up at Gothenburg May 1933


Ed
BOMBALA image artist postcard



Ed Ed Ed
BUNINYONG 1883-1926
BUNINYONG 2,070 gross tons, 1,279 net. Lbd: 279'9" x 38'1" x 20'2". Steel steamship built by Caird & Purdie at Barrow-in-Furness for W H Smith & Sons, Melbourne. Held Compounded engine = 300hp with 3 single ended coal fired boilers. Passenger-cargo vessel that worked Smith's services around Australia through the company name changes up to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd in 1913. 1914 believed passenger accomodation was removed. Saw little service after 1918 and in 1924 sold to J & E Hill, Melbourne, who probably began dismantling her from that time. February 11th, 1926 hull scuttled off Port Phillip Heads, Victoria


Ed Ed Ed
BURWAH (1)
1883-1908
BURWAH (11)
1908-51
BURWAH (111)
1956-86
BURWAH (111) image unknown online source
BURWAH (1) 982 gross tons, 568 net. Lbd: 220'4" x 30'1" x 19'6". Steel steamship built by J Key & Sons, Kinghorn for W H Smith & Sons Ltd., registered Sydney. Held compounded engine = 200hp. Coal fired boilers. 1901 of Howard Smith Ltd. Capable of 140 passenger capacity and serviced the Queensland trade, reputedly capable of 14 knots. 1905 sold to Japanese interests and renamed Ohio No. 3. 1907 renamed Fohning. Foundered off Hinghua 22nd March 1908 whilst steaming from Amoy to Ningpo
BURWAH (11) 2,273 gross tons. Lb: 84 x 13 metres. Steel hulled single screw steamship, cargo only as built by Priestman at Southwick for Howard Smith Co Ltd, Melbourne. Triple expansion engine making 12 knots. Serviced The east coast Between Melbourne and Cairns, taking in various ports including Flat Top, Bowen and Townsville each way along the trunk route "B' as it was known in the early 1920's. Between October 1924 and February 1925 ran the Adelaide - Rockhampton service. 1940's saw her placed upon the Sydney - Melbourne service. 1947 sold to Tsu-Yau Lin of China and renamed Chi Hwa. 1948 under ownership of Tai Ho SS Co and renamed Dah Tung. Scrapped 1951
BURWAH (111) 2,669 gross tons, 3,400 dwt. Lbd: 94.5 x 13.61 metres. Steel hulled, single screw motorship, diesel as built by Burntisland Shipbuiding, Burntisland for Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. Cargo vessel. Later converted as a self discharging bulk cement carrier. Service included Devonport Tasmania and Sydney. Was recored as having carried 1 million tons of bulk cement near the end of her career. 1978 sold to Zefyrus Maritime Co., Panama renamed Faros. 1978 renamed Evripos Express. Broken up at Piraeus commencing 16 May 1986


Ed Ed Ed
CALDARE
1930-56
CALEDON
1927-56
CALEDON 1st image courtesy State Library Victoria
CALEDON Aerial image courtesy Australian War Memorial
CALDARE 760 gross tons. Lb: 165' 5" x 36' 7" x 13' 3". (50.4 x 11.2 metres). Steel hulled twin screw coastal collier, as built by John Lewis, Aberdeen for Australian Steamships Pty Ltd, Sydney. Service speed 10.5 knots. Designed for the Sydney coal trade. 1956 sold to Cia. Naviera Lanena, Panama (T Engen) and renamed Vicky. From Sydney for Melbourne with coal, developed engine trouble in heavy seas, capsized and sank off Wilsons Promontory Victoria on 25 June 1956. Eight seamen lost their lives. She developed such a dangerous list that the crew could not lower the lifeboats and were forced to leap into the sea
CALEDON 1,083 gross tons. Lb: 65.6 x 9.9 metres. Cargo vessel, single screw triple expansion engine as built by Burntisland Shipbuilding, Burntisland Scotland for this concern. Although ordered as Aberdare she was launched and completed as Caledon. Service speed 10.5 knots. East coast cargo trade. Travelled Brisbane - Rockhampton March and July 1941. From October 1941 serviced Sydney - Gladstone - Rockhampton return with general cargoes. 27 February 1956 arrived Hong Kong for scrapping


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
CALTEX KURNELL
1965-2004
CALTEX LIVERPOOL
1952-68
CALTEX MANCHESTER
1953-72
CALTEX PORT KEMBLA
1955-83
CALTEX SYDNEY
1963-90
CALTEX KURNELL image courtesy Mattmar Marine
CALTEX KURNELL 4,190 gross tons, 5174 dwt. Lb: 111.9 x 14.5 metres. Oil tanker, built as the Olau Hog by Helsingborgs, Helsingborg. Single screw, diesel engine making 14.5 knots. 1967 purchased by Caltex from Olau Line, Copenhagen renamed Caltex Kurnell. Managed by Howard Smith Industries. 1976 sold to Dannebrog Rederi A/S, Copenhagen renamed Nordborg. Since, and for unknown owners - 1983 Recoil Prima 1989 Fair Lady 1989 Takis 1991 Prosperity. Broken up at Alang commencing 28 August 2004
CALTEX LIVERPOOL 11,814 gross tons, 17460 dwt. Lb: 165.9 x 21.4 metres. Oil tanker, built by Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn and owned by Overseas Tankship Ltd, London. Single screw, steam turbine engine making 14.5 knots. 1964 transferred to Australian registry, managed by Howard Smith Ltd 1967 sold to Texaco Ltd, London renamed Texaco Glasgow. Broken up at Sakaide July 1968
CALTEX MANCHESTER 11,804 gross tons, 17510 dwt. Lb: 165.9 x 21.4 metres. Oil tanker, built by Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn and owned by Overseas Tankship Ltd, London. Single screw, steam turbine engine making 14.5 knots. 1964 transferred to Australian registry, managed by Howard Smith Ltd. 1968 sold to Dai-ichi Kisen & renamed World Kim. 1970 sold to Pacific Marine Transport & renamed Hong Kong Crusader. Broken up at Hong Kong December 1972
CALTEX PORT KEMBLA 3,988 gross tons, 5325 dwt. Lb: 105.8 x 14.8 metres. Oil tanker, built by Stord Verft, Leirvik Norway as the Topaz. Single screw, diesel engine making 12.5 knots. 1964 sold renamed Petro Bordeaux. 1968 sold, renamed Caltex Port Kembla and managed for Caltex Oil (Australia) Pty, Ltd, Sydney when servicing Australian waters. 1975 sold to Singapore Bunkering Service Ltd renamed Asian Guardian in 1976. 1980 renamed Sirius II 1981 renamed Orange Energy 1981 renamed Bunga Mawar. Scrapped at Bangkok August 1983
CALTEX SYDNEY 3,859 gross tons, 5500 dwt. Lb: 114.4 x 14.8 metres. Single screw diesel engine making 15 knots. Oil tanker, built by Moss Vaerft, Moss as the Widan for W Neumann, Bergen. 1968 purchased by Australian Oil Refining Co., Sydney renamed Caltex Sydney and managed by Howard Smith Ltd. 1975 sold to Balboa Transport Corp, Panama renamed Bintang Utara. Scrapped at Piso April 1990


Ed Ed
CAMIRA
1980-....
as the
KERRY EXPRESS
CAMIRA 2,792 gross tons, 3453 dwt. Lb: 86 x 14.1 metres. Single screw, diesel engine. 12.5 knots. Built at Ube Dockyards, Ube as a coastal cargo vessel with container carrying capability for Coal and Allied Industries Ltd. Managed by Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd. 1993 sold to Labroy Marine Ltd, Singapore. 1994 converted into a livestock carrier, 3246 gt, 4186dwt. 1994 Renamed Kerry Express Gained notoriety as 'Ship of Shame' sheep carrier when taking live stock from Fremantle to the Persian Gulf. Still in service


CANBERRA
1913-59
Ed Ed Ed Ed
postcard cover lettercard - menu menu
contents
menu
rear


Ed Ed Ed
Dufty postcard
personal collection
baggage tag Canberra as the ESPANA
CANBERRA 7,710 gross tons, 4,094 net. Lbd: 410' x 57'2" x 38'4". (125.0 x 17.4 metres) Steel twin screw passenger ship built by Alex Stephen & Sons, Linthouse Glasgow for Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith Ltd) Melbourne. Quadruple expansion engine making 15 knots. Refrigerated. Designed for the Melbourne - North Queensland run and was known to have beaten the Sydney - Brisbane train on several occasions until their coastal railway opened. 1917 requisitioned as troopship, in 1918 she was one of the 'flying convoy' transporting troops from Egypt to France. 1920 returned to owners and peacetime services. 1941 - 1947 requisitioned as military transport, earning a nickname 'hungry-mary' by the stokers as she was a coal burner. 1947 sold to Goulandris Bros, Greek nationals and registered in Panama. She was employed on the trans-Atlantic migrant trade. Renamed Espana 1954 when sold and transported seasonal workers to the Dominican Republic from Europe until scrapped in the Dominican Republic October 1959


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CANOPUS
1986-2009
CANOPUS
as ELLI
ELLI images courtesy Lindsay Smith
CANOPUS 54,880 gross tons, 94347 dwt. Lb: 230 x 46 metres. Single screw, diesel engine making 14.5 knots. Oil tanker, ordered and laid down 1985 by Samsung at Koje Korea for R W Miller, Sydney. Prior to completion Howard Smith Industries had taken over R W Miller's holdings1996 and so acquired this vessel. sold to Golden Fleece Marine Inc., Liberia renamed Elli. Managed by Liquimar Tankers Management Inc.
Update January 2012
Yemen to Suez in ballast, hogged severely in the Red Sea near Suez Canal. All 24-crew was taken ashore safely 28-August-2009. The tanker was towed and beached. The former Howard Smith/RW Miller fuel tanker broke apart about 15 nautical miles from the port of Taufiq while awaiting a berth. The vessel was once known as Canopus before being sold to Liquimar of Greece in 1996 and renamed. Worldwide Green Tankers is said to manage a fleet of seven tankers. Brokers reported that the company purchased the vessel from Liquimar Tankers in December 2007


Ed Ed
CENTURY (1)
1906-38
CENTURY (2)
1956-83
CENTURY (11) image courtesy R Priest & Nautical Association of Australia
CENTURY (1) 4,218 gross tons. Lb: 109.7 x 14.6 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. Cargo vessel built Northumberland Ship Building Co, Howden-on-Tyne for Howard Smith Co Ltd, Melbourne. 1926 sold to G. N. Stathatos, Ithaca, Greece renamed Narkissos. Broken up at Ghent late 1938
CENTURY (2) 4,215 gross tons, 5548 dwt. Lb: 108.5 x 14.1 metres. Single screw, diesel engine making 12 knots. Cargo vessel as built by Hall Russell, Aberdeen for this concern. 1974 sold to Pacific International Line, Singapore renamed Kota Berkat. 1977 renamed Salina. 1980 renamed Maldive Amity. Broken up at Karachi December 1983


CHEVIOT 1870-87
Ed Ed
painting at point nepean
CHEVIOT Point Nepean image courtesy State Library Queensland
CHEVIOT 1,226 gross tons, 764 net. Lbd: 230'2" x 32'2" x 17'5". Iron steamship built as a cargo vessel by C Mitchell & Co., Low Walker on Tyne. Held a 2 cylinder engine = 170 horsepower. First owners - Watts, Milburn & Co., London. 1873 Laughlan & Gunn. 1876 purchased from Foley & Co., London, possibly acting as agents, by W H Smith & Partners (Melbourne Steamship Co). Fitted at Sydney August 1877 to carry passengers as well as cargo for the Melbourne-Sydney-Newcastle service. Possibly had her engine compounded at this juncture. October 1883 owned outright by W H Smith & Sons Ltd. Had a history of breakdowns and on the night of 19th October 1887, in stormy weather her tailshaft broke or was stripped and just outside of the heads at Port Phillip she set sails before the wind to no avail. Wrecked near Point Nepean after being blown ashore and breaking in two, with a loss of 36 souls. Cheviot beach remains as a reminder in the modern day


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CHILLAGOE
1900-34
CHRONOS
1915-62
CONARA
1977-....
CONARA
as Innsbruck
CHILLAGOE & CHRONOS images courtesy of State Library Victoria
CONARA 1st image courtesy of Mattmar Marine
CHILLAGOE 1,494 gross tons. Lb: 73.1 17.6 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine. Service speed of 9 knots. Cargo vessel built as the Maltese Cross by Londonerry Shipbuilding Co, Londonerry for Houlder Line Ltd (Houlder Bros)., London 1901 purchased by Howard Smith and renamed Chillagoe, 1931 sold to Madrigal & Co., Manila. Scrapped at China 2nd quarter of 1934
CHRONOS 4,364 gross tons. Lb: 111.2 x 15.7 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 8.5 knots. Cargo vessel built by Hamilton at Glen Yard for Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith), Melbourne. 1929 sold to Australia-China Navigation Co., Hong Kong renamed Cabarita. 1930 owned by the Bank Line. 1952 owned by United Oriental Steam Ship Co., Karachi renamed Maulbaksh. Broken up at Karachi June 1962
CONARA 2,851 gross tons, 3450 dwt. Lb: 86 x 14.1 metres. Single screw, diesel engine making 14,5 knots, Purpose built by Ube Dockyard Co. Ltd, Ube, Japan for J & A Brown & Seaham Collieries. Placed on their '60 miler' run from Newcastle (Catherine Bay) to Sydney with a service speed of 12.5-14 knots. 1986 - 1988 of Coal and Allied Industries Limited and managed by Howard Smith Industries. 1988 sold to Austrian connections (managment - Ostereichischer Lloyd/Krohn Shipping ) renamed Innsbruck. 2002 renamed Sider Inn. Still in service


Ed Ed
COOMA
1907-26
COOMA
postcard
Left image courtesy State Library Queensland
Colour image postcard personal collection
Ed
COOMA
ashore
image courtesy State Library Queensland
COOMA 3,839 gross tons, 2,121 net. Lbd: 330' x 46' x 21'4". (100.6 x 14 metres) Steel steamship built as a passenger vessel by A Stephens & Sons Ltd, Linthouse. Of triple expansion = 593nhp. 4 coal fired boilers, forced draught. Owner - Howard Smith Ltd., Melbourne and of Australian Steamships Pty Ltd 1913. Intended for and placed upon the Melbourne - North Queensland run, carrying passengers in two classes and capable of 15 knots. Popular on that service until, on 7th July 1926 wrecked upon North Reef near Rockhampton in calm weather. An unexplained explosion in No. 3 hold the following day, after all passengers had been evacuated left salvage attempts impossible and she was abandoned as a total loss

Ed


Ed Ed Ed Ed
CYCLE (1)
1896-1933
CYCLE (11)
1921-42
CYCLE (111)
1939-72
CYCLE (1V)
1974-94
CYCLE 1 image as the Boveric. CYCLE 11 & 111 images courtesy State Library Victoria
CYCLE (1) 3,987 gross tons. Lb: 105.2 x 15.2 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow for SS Boveric Co Ltd (Andrew Weir), Glasgow. Cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 1889 purchased by W H Smith & Sons Melbourne, arriving 1900 Australian waters. 1901 owner changed trading name as Howard Smith, Melbourne. Vessel retained original name until 1906 when renamed Cycle. 1916 chartered to British Government. Duties within WW1 unknown. 1919 sold to Rederiaktiebolaget Transatlantic, Gothenburg (G Carlsson) renamed Svarten. Broken up at Gothenburg May 1933
CYCLE (11) 4,676 gross tons. Lb: 111.1 x 16.1 metres. Cargo vessel, steel hull single screw as built by J L Thompson, North Sands Sunderland for this concern, Triple expansion engine. Initially laid down on the stocks as the Tello for J Lindvis but, completed as the Cycle for Howard Smith. Employed on the Australian coast until 1934 (another record says 1936) when sold to Lyle Shipping Co., Glasgow renamed Cape Wrath. Possibly named changed in 1936. 1937 sold to F.Grauds and renamed Everelza. Torpedoed and sunk by submarine at 19.55N/73.49W 13 August 1942
CYCLE (111) 3,952 gross tons, 5630 dwt. Lb: 113.1 x 15.4 metres. Cargo vessel built by Hawthorn Leslie, Hebburn on Tyne for Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith), Sydney. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. Serviced east coast of Australia. 1961 sold to Cia. de Nav. Victoria Neptuno, Panama (Teh Hu SS Co ) renamed Amita. Broken up at Kaohsiung commencing 30 January 1972
CYCLE (1V) 5,942 gross tons, 8129 dwt. Lb: 121.7 x 17.6 metres. Cargo vessel built as the Hansa by Neptun VEB, Rostock for Nord Transport, Bergen. Single screw, diesel engine making 15 knots. 1975 acquired by this concern and renamed Cycle, 1975 chartered and transferred to Singapore registry, 1980 renamed Timur Endeavour. 29 November 1980 detained in Basrah, Shatt-el-Arab in Iran / Iraq war, declared constructive total loss and sold. Finally scrapped at Gadani Beach, Pakistan January 1994



Ed
DANDENONG
1865-76
DANDENONG image courtesy State Library Queensland
DANDENONG 743 gross tons, 575 net. Lbd: 201' x 28'2" x 15'7". Iron steamship built by Palmer Bros at Willington Quay, Jarrow-on-Tyne as the Stella for A. G. Robinson, London. Held a 2 cylinder engine = 90hp. 1867 owned by the partnership of A G Robinson. W H Smith and J L Burke trading as the Melbourne Steamship Company. Registry transferred from London to Melbourne November 1869. A passenger-cargo vessel, she could accomodate approximately 80 persons in two classes. Serviced between Newcastle, Sydney and Melbourne. 11th September 1876 her propeller shaft broke off and punctured the hull during heavy gale conditions and ship sank the following day off Jervis Bay, New South Wales with a loss of 40 souls



Ed Ed
DAWN
1876-1928
DAWN 2nd image in danger at Toombul rocks, at the mouth of Breakfast Creek Brisbane March 1908 and courtesy State Library Queensland
DAWN 522 gross tons, 328 net. Lbd: 164'6" x 24' x 18'4". Iron steamship built by W T Pile & Co., Sunderland England for the Portland & Belfast S N Co., Portland Victoria. Passenger - cargo vessel, compounded engine producing 75 nhp. October 1885 owned by the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports trade. March 1896 owned by W Howard Smith & Sons Ltd., Melbourne. Sunk in a collision with the Macedon. (also of the fleet) on March 25th 1879 in the Yarra River Melbourne. The hole was 'patched' and she was refloated. repaired and resumed normal duties. Serviced many ports around Australia as the South Australian coast, and the Esperance to Albany mail run and took in Queensland trade routes. Was chartered by the Australasian United S N Co from October 1906 on the Queensland coastal run. May 1908 sold to E F Allen of Samoa and of Samoa Shipping Trading Co Ltd 1911. Scuttled 3rd March 1928 off Fiji



Ed
DERWENT 1864-1915
DERWENT image courtesy State Library New South Wales
DERWENT Iron steamer, 478 gross tons, 351 net. Lbd: 196' x 25'3" x 13'3". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow as a 3 masted barquentine ship and of a 2 cylinder engine producing 120 horsepower. First recorded owner J Alexander, London. 1864 owned by J Wright, registered at Hobart Town, Tasmania. December 1864 owned by W Rout & Partners. October 1867 owned by Tasmanian S N Co, who continued her on the Bass Strait run. March 1879 owned by Howard Smith & Partners as Melbourne Steamship Co. Melbourne. Placed upon the Northern Queensland run ex Sydney. December 1883 of W H Smith & Sons Ltd. Employed on the western coastal districts of Victoria. 1891 re-engined, compounded producing 96 hp. July 1901 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1909 gross tonnage now measured at 459. 1913 of Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. October 1915 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1915-16 converted into a hulk and employed in North Queensland. 1925 scuttled off Townsville, Queensland



Ed Ed Ed Ed
DISPATCH
1877-1900
DROMANA
1919-42
DUBBO
1947-69
EASTERN ENTERPRISE
1978-2003
DISPATCH as the BELLARINE, & DROMANA images courtesy State Library Victoria
DUBBO image courtesy Matterson Marine
DISPATCH 117 gross tons. Paddle steamer, 1888 purchased from A H Landseer, Adelaide. 1889 renamed Bellarine. 1900 sold to A. Phillips, Melbourne and converted to a lighter. full details click Bellarine
DROMANA 3,350 gross tons. Lb: 100.9 x 14.5 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo only as built at Williamstown Victoria for the Commonwealth Line of Steamers. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Sold 1926 Howard Smith Ltd., Melbourne. 1935 sold to Chung Hsing Coal, Shanghai and renamed Yih Hsing. 1938 sold to Java China Trading Co., renamed Beatrice. 1941 captured bu Japanese Government forces and renamed Biwa Maru. Sunk after a collision 3.54S/109.13E 1st November 1942
DUBBO 2.333 tons. Lbd 291' 5"x 46'1" x 19'. Built at the State Government dockyard, Newcastle, New South Wales for the Australian Government. Managed by this concern for Australian Dept. of Supply & Shipping. 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. Originally Coal fired, converted to burn oil as fuel in 1957. 1957 transferred to Australia National Line (ANL). 1965 sold to Australia Pacific Shipping Co (Hong Kong) Ltd., Panama and renamed Pacific Lady. Sold 1968 to Litonjua Shipping Co Phillipines and renamed Lord KL. 1969 sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers
EASTERN ENTERPRISE 55,465 gross tons, 81131 dwt. Lb: 231 x 44 metres. Oil tanker built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki as the Nordic Spirit for Anglo Nordic Bulkships, London. Single screw, diesel engine making 16.5 knots. Bareboat chartered 1981 initially for 3 years and in back to back arrangement was also time chartered to both Total and Amoco. Stopped over at Singapore upon delivery voyage for conversion into Australian crew conditions, and arriving Port Botany 15 November 1981 discharging oil for the "Total" Oil concern. Completed discharge at Shell Gore Bay Port Jackson. Employed on a six month service transporting Bass Strait crude along the Australian coast and, and six months transporting Persian Gulf crude to Australia. Charter extended to 1987 from (possibly acting as agents or, as existing owners since Anglo-Nordic Bulkships) - Killean Ltd, Bermuda. 1987 sold to Panilette Ltd, London renamed Rutland. 1987 renamed Constitution. 1999 renamed Aptera M. Broken up at Alang January 2003


TOP of PAGE Page 2
Ee-Ma
Page 3
Mo-Yu
HOME!


2008-12 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved