FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

Quick jump

ADELONG
ALERT
ANGLIAN
BARWON (1)
BARWON (11)
BURRUMBEET
COLAC (1)
COLAC (11)
COOGEE
CORANGAMITE
CORIO (1)
CORIO (11)
DESPATCH
ELINGAMITE
EXCELSIOR
EXPRESS
FRAM (chartered)
GOULBURN
HEBBURN (1)
HEBBURN (11)
HYGEIA
LINDUS
LUNA
MANGANA
MEEINFERRY
MOORABOOL
MALAITA
MIOWERA
NAIRANA
NEMESIS
NELSON
NEWCASTLE (chartered)
NEW GUINEA (chartered)
NYORA (tug)
PELICAN (tug)
PIKEPOOL
RIVERINA
RIVER MURCHISON (managed)
RIVER MURRAY (managed)
ROCKTON (chartered)
SANTON
TAMBO
TASMANIA
ULIMAROA
VICTORIA
WANGANELLA
WASTWATER
WARRINGA
WARRIMOO
WATAMURRA
WEEROONA
WENDOUREE
WERRIBEE
WESTRALIA (1)
WESTRALIA (11)
WIMMERA
WOOMERA
YARRA
ZEALANDIA (1)
ZEALANDIA (11)

Fleet lists
Home



Port Australia

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


HUDDART PARKER
& Co Pty Ltd


Founded on August 1st, 1876 in Geelong as Huddart, Parker & Co. Pty. Ltd, by James Huddart, T.J. Parker, John. Traill, and Captain T. Webb. Earlier, in the 1850s, James Huddart's uncle, Captain Peter Huddart had made his fortune importing coal for use in the Victorian goldfields. He was the first major operator handling coal from the port of Geelong. Mr. T.J. Parker, was a merchant who arrived in Geelong from London in 1853. T J Parker commenced as a ship's agent for Howard Smith's steamship 'Express", trading between Geelong and Melbourne. 1862 saw T J Parker purchase Smith's half share and, in 1869 add a second vessel to his fleet, the 'Despatch'.
The separate trading activities of Parker and Huddart each built up through the gold-rush era and beyond led to a linking of the businesses of their descendants and successors, to become Huddart Parker & Company.
After 1876 Huddart Parker expanded rapidly. By 1886 it had inaugurated the Melbourne-Adelaide shipping service and in 1882 entered the Sydney Melbourne trade. During the early 1890s its steamers were running to the principal ports of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania, and in 1893 it was also trading with ports in New Zealand.
In 1892 James Huddart owned outright, two vessels in his name. the Warrimoo & Miowera and, appointing Huddart Parker & Co as managers, took on the trans-tasman service. Withdrawing from that trade the following year, focus was set upon a trans-pacific service taking in Vancouver, Canada as an indirect service to England. With a new Company name for James Huddart's own vessels on the Canada - Australia route, a new direction had evolved for Australasian shipping. The Canada - Australia Steamship Company is dealt with on a separate page. See Canada Australia Steamship Co
Huddart Parker & Co registered in Victoria in 1889 as a proprietary company and converted to a public company in 1911
In 1921 Huddart Parker came to an agreement with the Union Steam ship Company of New Zealand to establish a joint venture operation on the Bass Strait where both companies owned a 50% stake in the company Tasmanian Steamers Pty Ltd
During WW 1 five of the Huddart Parker company's vessels were requisitioned for the war. Then again in WW 2 three of the company's passenger ships, Zealandia, Westralia and Wanganella were pressed into war service. Huddart Parker was finally taken over by Bitumen and Oil Refineries Australia Limited (McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, Australia) in October 1961


HUDDART - PARKER & Co



Sail only vessels
OLIVIA DAVIES
1864-
MEDEA
c 1865
QUEEN EMMA
c 1865
OLIVIA DAVIES 523 gross tons. Wooden barque, built in United States and purchased by T J Parker, Traill and Webb in 1875. Placed on the coal trade from Newcastle, New South Wales to Melbourne, bringing them into direct competition with their later Company partner, James Huddart.
MEDEA 453 gross tons. Owned by James Huddart. Operated on the coal trade from Newcastle, New South Wales to Melbourne
QUEEN EMMA 314 gross tons. Owned by James Huddart. Operated on the coal trade from Newcastle, New South Wales to Melbourne
1st August 1876 the 'coal' interests of T J Parker, James Huddart, John Traill and Captain Thomas Webb merged forming Huddart Parker & Company, Melbourne


Ed Ed
HOUSE FLAG
early
HOUSE FLAG
modern

Ed
FUNNEL

Vessels listed A - Z


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ALERT
1877-93
ANGLIAN
1873-13
ANGLIAN 1st image courtesy State Library Queensland, far right image postcard of the era
ALERT 243 gross tons, 116 net. Lbd: 169' x 19'6" x 9'8". Built by Robert Duncan & Co Port Glasgow as a two funnel passenger-cargo vessel for the Melbourne - Geelong Trade. Came to Australia for T J Parker & Partners, Melbourne as a 3 masted schooner (barque). and upon arrival, had two masts removed. January 1889 owned by Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne. Early 1893 sustained another refit where one funnel was removed and net tonnage increased to 159. She was then placed upon the Gippsland Lakes trade and on her eighth trip, on the 28th December 1893 foundered in a storm off Jubilee Point, near Cape Schank. Fifteen lives were lost. One survivor, Robert Ponting, managed to grab a cabin door and clung to it in the water for sixteen hours before managing to get to shore on a beach near Sorrento
ANGLIAN 2,159 gross tons, 1,354 net. Lbd: 314'x 35'8" x 26'4". Built by Aitken & Mansell, Kelvinhaugh Whiteinch for Union Steamship Co Ltd, reg Southampton. Compounded engine producing 270 horsepower. Designed for the England - South Africa trade. Rebuilt in 1886 with engine of triple expansion and capable of 13 knots. Purchased by this concern when she was 20 years old. Built to carry 120 passengers. Worked the trans tasman trade as Auckland - Sydney service until withdrawn 1902 and placed on the Sydney - Hobart run. Reduced to a hulk in 1913 at Port Adelaide, towed to Sydney and eventually dismantled 1930. Scuttled off Sydney Heads 2nd August 1933


Ed


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ADELONG
1935-69
BARWON (1)
1901-31
BARWON (11)
1939-72
BARWON (1) image (gr000266) courtesy State Library Victoria
all other images personal collection
ADELONG 3,619 gross tons, 1,779 net. 5,383 dwt. Lbd: 359 x 48 x 22 feet. Steam triple expansion 3 cylinders 1850 ihp rated 10 knots. Built by Harland & Wolff Ltd Govan, Scotland. Was of the Huddart Parker Line until 1961 takeover by McIlwraith McEacharn Pty Ltd. Mid 1960's transferred to Associated Steamships Ltd. Sold 1967 and renamed Pacific King. Scrapped 1969 at Hong Kong
BARWON (1) 2,999 gross tons. LB: 99.1 x 14.3 metres. Steel single screw cargo steamship, triple expansion engine and built at Blyth Shipbuilding Cowpen Quay for Huddart Parker & Co Pty Ltd. Service speed = 9 knots. Sold 1930 to Emiris & Yeroyannis renamed Minas. Wrecked SW Phlera Island 13th December 1931
BARWON (11) 4,239 gross tons, 3,353 net. Lbd: 378'4" x 50'4" x 22'7". (111.86 x 15.33m). Steel single screw steamer built by Caledon Ship Building & Engine Co. Ltd., Dundee in 1939 to the order of Huddart Parker, Melbourne. 4th June 1942 attacked by a submarine when 35 nautical miles south of Gabo Island, hit by shells, but torpedoes fired at her missed and she managed to escape, Originally coal-fired, she was propelled by a 3- cylinder triple expansion and lp dr turbine by J. Kincaid, Greenock; was single screwed with a speed of 10 knots. She was converted to oil firing in April 1957. Mid 1961 transferred to McIlwraith McEacharn fleet. With the creation of Associated Steamships Pty. Ltd., Melbourne (ASP - the amalgamation of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd and The Adelaide Steamship Co. Ltd.) in November 1963, she became an ASP fleet member on 7 January 1964 from the McIlwraith McEacharn fleet. She entered service as a unit-loader in May 1966 and soldiered on until October 1969 when she was sold and delivered at Port Adelaide to the Wing On Steamship Co. SA, Panama, being renamed Ability. 1971 renamed New Ability. Wrecked off Kaohsiung 6th June 1972


Ed
BURRUMBEET
1884-1936
BURRUMBEET 2,419 gross tons, 1,516 net. Lbd: 300' x 40'1" x 19'7". Triple expansion engine = 180 nhp, coal fired boilers. Steel steamship was built by C.S. Swan & Hunter at Wallsend-on-Tyne, as a passenger vessel for for J Huddart & Partners Melbourne, who later formed as Huddart Parker Ltd. Described as a smart looking steamer, she made over 250 visits to Corio Bay, Geelong between 1890 and 1915. She was also very familiar on the Melbourne-Sydney-Newcastle route and in the west, out of Fremantle. Although a good workhorse on most of the company's routes she was sold in June 1915 to overseas interests, being registered at the Port of Shanghai. 1924 saw her renamed Nagasaki, later same year renamed Hoi Ping. 1928 renamed again as Tang Shan. Scrapped at Shanghai 1936


Ed Ed Ed
COLAC (1)
1884-1910
COLAC (11)
1920-59
COLAC (1) left image courtesy State Library New South Wales
COLAC (1) centre image courtesy State Library Queensland
COLAC (11) image (gr000256) courtesy State Library Victoria
COLAC (1) 1,479 gross tons, 958 net. Lbd: 245'2" x 34'2" x 17'2". Compound surface consensing engine 140 nhp. Iron steamship built as a collier by E Withy & Co West Hartlepool for J Huddart & Partners, Melbourne. Acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., October 1886. She was stranded in the vicinity of Derby West Australia September 17th 1910, dismantled and remains abandoned
COLAC (11) 3,341 gross tons. Lbd: 100.88 x 14.54 metres. Built Walsh Island Sydney for the Australian Government Line as the Dinoga. Sold to this concern in 1926 and renamed. Served World War 2. 1951 acquired by J Paterson & Co and renamed Easby. 1956 purchased by J.Manners & Co (Hong Kong) and renamed Clyde Breeze. Scrapped Foochow 1959


Ed Ed Ed
COOGEE
1887-1928
1st image seen here steaming along the yarra
2nd image revealing the damage after the collision
3rd image early postcard in issue
COOGEE 762 gross tons, 286 net. Lbd: 225' x 30'2" x 13'5". (68.5 x 9.1 x 7.1m). Built by J.L.Thompson & sons, Sunderland England. as the Lancashire Witch for the Isle of Man - Liverpool run. Acquired and renamed by J Huddart & Partners in 1888 when British owner went bankrupt. Of Huddart Parker & Co 1889. The Passenger steamship Coogee completed 961 round trips on the Bass Strait run until it was involved in an accident in the early hours of Christmas day, 1903. Within Port Phillip Bay, the Coogee was full with passengers, eager to reach Melbourne to celebrate Christmas Day with friends and relatives. At 2am, the ship ran into thick fog and immediately reduced to half speed. An hour later, the fog was so dense that the engine was stopped. At 4am the Coogee restarted its engine and steamed ahead at half speed. Through the fog, which had lifted a little, the ship's second officer spotted the masts of a sailing ship, a four masted iron ship, the Fortuna Figaro that was bound for Newcastle. The Coogee was only a few lengths away from the Fortuna Figaro and both vessels were on a collision path. The Captain, who was on the bridge, ordered the Coogee's engines to be stopped and its helm to be turned to star board. However there was so little time. The Coogee and the Fortuna Figaro collided and a great gash was ripped in the bow of the Coogee. As the larger sailing ship moved past, its jib boom swept along the Coogee from stem to stern carrying away all in its way including deck houses, the bridge, lifeboats, ventilators, and the funnel. The Captain and the man at the wheel were killed. Fortunately all passengers and most of the crew were below deck, otherwise, casualties would have been greater. Steam and smoke were pouring from the steamer and its whistle was continuously creating an atmosphere of panic. The crew and passengers were taken on board the Fortuna Figaro. Although water was pouring through the gash in the bow of the Coogee, the forward bulkhead was still intact and prevented water moving through the entire hull and sinking the steamer. 1910, it was refitted and recommenced sailing between Melbourne and Geelong. 1917, she was withdrawn from the Port Phillip Bay service and after lying idle for 12 months was taken over by the Royal Australian Navy and used as a mine sweeper. In 1921, she was chartered by the Telegraph Department and used to repair damage to the Bass Strait cable. In 1928, the steamer was considered redundant and was scuttled outside the heads at Port Phillip Bay. Now a popular diving site


Ed
CORANGAMITE
1885-86
CORANGAMITE 2,440 gross, 1,562 net tons. Lbd: 300' x 40'1" x 19'7". Passenger steamship built for J Huddart & Partners Melbourne - Sydney run by C S Swan & Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne, Great Britain. Carried 150 cabin and 80 steerage passengers in considerable comfort for the era. Serviced the Melbourne - Sydney run. Ashore and lost at St. George Head, Wreck Bay, New South Wales, during a fog, 6th December 1886. No loss of life


Ed Ed Ed
CORIO (1)
1898-1939
CORIO (11)
1919-51
CORIO (11) images courtesy State Library Victoria
CORIO (1) 2,061 tons. Lbd: 331' x 41'9: x 23'6". Iron steamship, cargo only, triple expansion engine, as built by Pickersgill at Southwick for F S Holland, London as the Frances Holland. Sold 1900 to this concern and renamed Corio. 1926 sold to Sen Chi Feng and renamed Tung Foong. 1930 sold to Chung Wei SS Co and renamed Tai Ping. Broken up at Chinhai 1939-41 period
CORIO (11) 3,346 tons. Lbd: 331' x 41'9: x 23'6". Steel steamship, freighter, built Walsh Island Sydney for the Australian Government Line as the Delungra. Sold 1926 to this concern. Served World War 2. 26th February 1951 outbound from Rapid Bay with 4,075 tons of BHP mined limestone destined for Port Kembla, she foundered upon Cape Banks (Carpenter's Reef) during foggy conditions. She had run the Backstairs Passage between Kangaroo Island and the St Vincents Gulf when the fog enveloped her. Sending out distress signals, BHP's steamship Iron 'Yampi' also bound for the east coast responded and picked up the survivors who had taken to a lifeboat. It was reported that the lifeboat soon smashed up in heavy seas whilst in tow. Survivors dropped off at Portland Victoria


Ed Ed
DESPATCH
1869-1911
DESPATCH 2nd image courtesy State Library Victoria
DESPATCH 237 gross tons, 114 net. Lbd: 151' x 20'1" x 10'3". Iron steamship built by Thomas B Seath & Co., Rutherglen. Had two funnels upon completion, however one was later removed. The second steamship owned by T J Parker & S B Skinner, later of Huddart Parker & Co from January 1889 . Entered the Port Phillip Bay passenger trade to Geelong in 1869 until 1877. She then served as a Victorian Government steamer and lighthouse tender under charter until 1893. Laid up until 1902 when she was extensively refitted for the Melbourne to Lakes Entrance run. 29 September 1911 struck the Lakes Entrance pier, Gippsland coast, floating clear and sinking outside the entrance after the crew had abandoned her. No loss of life


Ed Ed Ed
ELINGAMITE
1887-1902
EXCELSIOR
1882-1919
ELINGAMITE 1st image courtesy State Library New South Wales
ELINGAMITE 2,585 gross tons, 1,675 net. Lbd: 310'5" x 40'8" x 19'7". Steel steamship built by C S Swan & Hunter, Newcastle on Tyne for Huddart & Parker, registered Melbourne. Of triple expansion engine = 250nhp. January 1889 of Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne. As a passenger ship, she worked the Sydney - Newcastle - Melbourne trade until transferred to to the trans-tasman route. Had voyaged to West Australia in 1897. Outbound from Auckland to Sydney she was wrecked off Three Kings Islands, New Zealand, 9 November 1902. 45 souls were lost and and inquiry found and exonerated the ship's master with the discovery that charts of the area were incorrect by as much as 3 miles. She was also carrying gold bullion worth 17,320 pounds sterling and since, only a small percentage has been recovered
EXCELSIOR 350 gross tons, 172 net. Steel steamship, built at Southampton and registered at Melbourne 1882. Came out in 66 days. Began servicing the Melbourne-Geelong run on 15 January 1883. Very popular vessel. On 11 July 1899, she was rammed by the Edina in Hobsons Bay, Port Phillip. Holed on the port side near the funnel, the Excelsior sank in five fathoms forty-five minutes later, after all passengers had been transferred to the Edina. She was raised seven months later, February 1900. Broken up in 1919, at which time her engines were put into the hulk Malaita, also of this concern. Register finally closed 1943


Ed
EXPRESS
1853-69+
EXPRESS image courtesy State Library Victoria
EXPRESS 199 gross tons, 136 net. (tonnage records vary) Built likely in England / Scotland. Steam/sail vessel brought out under sail arriving Melbourne 7th July 1854 under command and part ownership of Captain Howard Smith. The ship's engineer, S B Skinner owned the other half share. This is where it all began for William Howard Smith as he commenced passenger services between Melbourne and Geelong, some records stating this was also the 'first regular' passenger service in Australia. 1855 based at Geelong, T J Parker (Later becoming Huddart-Parker & Co). acted as ship's agent, advertising under the banner 'Express Steamer Agency. 1861-62 saw W H Smith's share sold to Thomas J Parker. S B Skinner's share, upon his death, was sold to John Traill and Captain Webb. The Port Phillip bay trade continued for this vessel until sold to New Zealand interests based at Dunedin in 1869. From there records end, except the knowledge that her career also ended in these waters at a later unknown date



Ed Ed Ed Ed
GOULBURN
1915-61
HEBBURN (1)
1915-64
HEBBURN (11)
1925-43
HYGEIA
1890-1931
GOULBURN image courtesy State Library New South Wales
HEBBURN (yet to ascertain which Hebburn) image courtesy State Library Victoria
GOULBURN 2,363 gross tons. 305 feet in length. Lb: 89.9 x 13.7 metres. T 3-cylinder by George Clark Ltd of Sunderland. 1915 Built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co Ltd of Sunderland for Huddart Parker Ltd of Melbourne and named Goulburn for their Melbourne to Hobart run. 1942 July 27th was in a collision with the collier William McArthur off Point Hicks Victoria. 1955 sold to the Manners Organisation of Hong Kong who allocated her to the Cambay Prince Steam Ship Co Ltd of Hong Kong. She was converted to oil and given a new funnel at Kobe and renamed Yarra Breeze. 1959 She was once agained transferred within the group and renamed San Jeronimo and was registered in Panama. 1960 Laid up in Hong Kong in December. January 1961 she was sold to a local shipbreaking firm and scrapped
HEBBURN (1) 3900 gross tons. Lb: 112.8 x 15.5 metres. Iron steamship, triple expansion engine. Built Blyth Shipbuilding at Cowpen Quay for Huddart Parker Ltd, London. Designed as a cargo vessel. Stores vessel during WW1. Was at Fremantle during 1915, troop related. 1919 sold to J McElvie and renamed Graziella. 1922 sold to Geral de Comercio and renamed Mello. Wrecked 33.41N/7.26W 27th November 1964
HEBBURN (11) 4,211 gross tons. Lb: 112.8 x 15.6 metres. Iron hulled steamship, cargo as built by Blyth Shipbuilding at Cowpen Quay for Huddart Parker & Co. Triple expansion, twin boilers. 1931 sold to the USSR Government and renamed Sergey Kirov.Torpedoed by submarine 20 nautical miles from Izvestiya Island, Kara Sea 1st October 1943
HYGEIA 986 gross tons, 427 net. Paddle steamer. Lb: 300 x 32 feet. Transferred to Bay Steamers Ltd 1912 for the Port Phillip Bay traffic. 1931 bought by H W Morris, hull gutted and on 25th August 1931 hulk broke adrift from tug Eagle outside of Port Phillip heads (from Melbourne to be scuttled) and went ashore at Rosebud. Refloated and scuttled near Barwon Heads 2nd June 1932


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
LINDUS
1881-99
LUNA
1864-70's
MANGANA
1875-1901
MEEINDERRY
1883-1922
MOORABOOL
1899-1930
MEEINDERRY image courtesy State Library South Australia
LINDUS (b41875), LUNA & MANGANA images courtesy State Library Victoria
LINDUS 1,678 gross tons, 1,080 net. Lbd: 257'4" x 34'6" x 17'8". Iron steamship built as a collier by E Withy & Co., West Hartlepool for T J Parker & Partners, Melbourne. Rigged as a 2 masted schooner and equiped with a compounded engine producing 160 nhp. Not long after arrival upon Australian shores she was fitted at Mort's Dock Sydney with passenger accomodation. Ran the Melbourne - Sydney - Newcastle route. Was known to have run to Fremantle with the 'goldrush' transport demand in 1891. February 1899 owned by Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne. In her latter years she was downgraded to cargo only status. June 4th 1899 wrecked upon Oyster Bank, Newcastle New South Wales
LUNA 252 gross tons, 163 net. Lbd: 170'1" x 24' x 8'5". Iron paddle steamer, built at Greenwich, England for J Harbottle of London. Oscillating engine producing 120 horsepower. Built and operated as a blockade runner in the southern states of America during their civil war. Later bought by the Parker family in 1866 who operated her on the Melbourne-Geelong run. Whilst pending sale, and on 16th July 1867, she ran down and sank the steamer Black Swan off Gellibrand Point, Port Phillip. No lives lost. Incurred debts possibly led to her being seized and sold at auction, 1868 owned by Parker & Skinner. August 1868 sold to Captain William Marshall and placed on the Sydney - Manning River trade. 1869 her tonnages increased to 311 gross and 196 net. May 1870 she was sold to the New Zealand Government. Ended her service in New Zealand, being scuttled off Lyttelton Heads late 1870's
MANGANA 752 gross tons, 28 net. Lbd: 208'3" x 27'1" x 19'3". Iron steamship built by D & W Henderson, Glasgow for the Tasmanian Steamers Pty Ltd. Of 2 decks and powered by a compounded engine producing 350 horsepower. As a passenger vessel, she serviced the Hobart - Sydney run, also taking in the Melbourne - Hobart service on occassion. 1891 taken over by Union SS Co of New Zealand. 1892 sold to Jouve & Co., (Syndicat Calédonien) Noumea. 1897 E F A Knoblauch, Sydney. December 1900 purchased by Huddart Parker and used as a storage vessel/hulk. Properly hulked 1901 at Port Adelaide. Finally abandoned ashore North Arm, Port Adelaide South Australia 1931
MEEINDERRY 217 gross tons, 111 net. Lbd: 120'2" x 20'1" x 8'7". (36.62x6.28m) Steel single screw passenger-cargo vessel rigged initially as a 3 masted schooner and built Rutherglen Glasgow by T B Sheath & Co. Imported by D Berry of the Berry Estate, New South Wales. July 1892 acquired by Anton Schlink and registered at Port Adelaide. July 1895 owned by this concern for Tasmanian and Victorian port trades. August 1919 sold to R W Miller & Co. Lost after collision with the collier Wallsend off Wanderers Reef, Newcastle New South Wales 1922. Wreck was sold to that state government who had her dismantled
MOORABOOL 2,996 gross tons. Lb: 98.9 x 14.3 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Blyth Shipbuilding at Cowpen Quay as a cargo - collier for Huddart, Parker & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Triple expansion engine. Known to have incurred losses for this concern during a strike in February 1901. Sold 1928 to Moller & Co and renamed Nancy Moller. Wrecked Zhupanova, Kamchatka 14th October 1930


Ed Ed Ed Ed
MALAITA
1893-1927
MALAITA
bathside
MALAITA
backside
MALAITA
on the beach
MALAITA images courtesy State Library Victoria
MALAITA 940 gross tons, 511 net. Lbd: 200' x 30'2" x 12'3". Steel single screw steamship, built at Grangemouth, 1893 as the Antilla. As the Antilla, she ran for some years in the West Indies fruit trade before being badly damaged by fire. Reconditioned, registered at Melbourne 1919. and renamed by Burns, Philp & Co., she was purchased for their trade in the Pacific islands. Eventually hulked and towed to Melbourne where the engines of the steamer Excelsior were installed. In her new role she made a number of voyages to the pacific islands. Bought by Huddart Parker in 1914. Where she worked is unknown however In 1926, she blown ashore in Port Phillip Bay and demolished the South Melbourne baths. Refloated, partly dismantled and scuttled in the ships graveyard, off Port Philip heads, 20 November 1927


Ed Ed
MIOWERA
1892-1916
NAIRANA
1915-51
MIOWERA image (a638540r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
NAIRANA image personal collection
MIOWERA 3,393 gross tons. Lb: 105.2 x 12.9 metres. Steel hulled passenger - cargo vessel built by Swan Hunter at Newcastle upon Tyne for James Huddart, Melbourne. Put under management of Huddart Parker & Co, she traded the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand, under the Company name 'New Zealand & Australian S N Co. Thinking big, James Huddart soon after decided upon a service from Australia to England via Canada and, changed Company name to Canadian - Australian Steamship Co. Taking in Vancouver as part of it's trans-pacific run until 1908 when the Company was sold to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. 1908 renamed Maitai. Wrecked South Reef, Avarua, Rarotonga 25th December 1916
NAIRANA 3042 gross tons, 330 feet length and 46 ft beam, twin screw, 4 steam turbines and built by William Denny & Brothers Dumbarton. Launched: Monday, 21 June 1915 as a passenger Vessel for Huddart Parker Ltd., Melbourne, intended for the Bass Strait services. 1916 commissioned by War Cabinet and converted as a seaplane carrier for the Royal Navy as completed 1917. Served admirably including being part of Russian campaign at Archangel. 1921 returned to Huddart Parker, Melbourne, finally arrived Australian waters and converted back to passenger vessel. 1922 of Tasmanian Steamers, Melbourne as Huddart Parker's contribution to the new 'joint-ownership' concern with the Union Steam Ship Co of New Zealand. She operated on the Bass Strait service for the next twenty-seven years, mostly with a companion ship, ss Taroona, but on her own for four years during the Second World War. Laid up in Melbourne in 1948, and on February 18th 1951 broke moorings during a heavy gale and beached. Found impossible to refloat so was cut up where she lay by the new owners, William Mussel Pty Ltd


Ed Ed Ed
NEMESIS
1880-1904
NELSON
1876-90
NEMESIS & NELSON images courtesy State Library Victoria
NEMESIS 1,392 gross tons, 886 net. Lbd: 240'2" x 34' x 17'9". Iron screw steamship, built by Turnbull & Sons, Whitby, England. Built for this concern as a cargo vessel, with compounded engine producing 120 nhp. Entered Port Phillip Bay, 1st May 1881 after a voyage of seventy six days, brigantine rigged. She was intended to work as a collier on the Melbourne - Newcastle intercolonial trade, although at a later she was fitted for passenger accomodation and placed on the Melbourne - Sydney run. Later placed on the West Australian run upon the advent of the goldrushes of the 1890's. During the 1890's she was again converted into a collier on the east coast. Left Newcastle for Melbourne on 8 July 1904 with a cargo of coal and was last seen on the 9th of July, east of Wollongong. Her officers and crew numbered 32. There were no survivors
NELSON 648 gross tons, 344 net. Lbd: 200' x 25'5" x 19'4'. Compounded engine producing 150 horsepower. Iron passenger steamship built at Port Glasgow by Blackwood Gordon & Co., for the Warrnambool Steam Packet Co Ltd., and registered in that Western Victorian coastal town. 1878 acquired by the Western Steam Navigation Co Ltd. June 1890 purchased by Huddart Parker & Co who had intended her for their Bass Strait run. Lost 9 June 1890 on her first crossing when she struck Porpoise Rock in the Tamar River, Tasmania


Ed
NEWCASTLE
1884-1928
image courtesy State Library Victoria
NEWCASTLE 1,251 gross tons, 587 net. Lbd: 264'6" x 32'9" x 15'9". Steel hulled Paddle steamer, compound type oscillating engine of 500 horsepower. Built by J Key & Sons, Kinghorn for the Newcastle Steamship Co. She originally had 3 funnels, and worked the Sydney - Newcastle passenger run with a reputaion for speediness. She proved rather expensive to operate and later had one funnel removed along with a boiler. Became part of the Newcastle Hunter River S N Co in December 1891. Had a brief time working the Bass Strait run under charter to Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne, exact time unknown. She returned to her Newcastle - Sydney duties until withdrawn and hulked 1928. She was the last ocean going paddle steamer actively working at that time. June 1933 scuttled off Sydney


RIVERINA
1905-27
Ed Ed Ed Ed
Postcard Postcard at Queens Wharf
Port Adelaide
Gabo Island
17 April 1927
RIVERINA 4th image courtesy State Library Queensland
RIVERINA 4,758 gross tons, 2,808 net. Lbd: 370' x 49'7" x 22'8". Passenger steamship built by J Laing & Sons Ltd., Sunderland England for Huddart Parker & Co., Ltd. Triple expansion engine producing 719 nhp. Designed to transport 160 first class, 120 second and 100 third class passengers on the various Australian coastal services. She saw most routes of the company, originating on the West Australian run until firmed as a regular Hobart - Sydney steamer. Beached wrecked at Gabo Island, off Victoria's coast near the border of New South Wales as above image shows


SANTON
1889-96
2577 gross tons. Lb:92.5 x 11.9 metres. Launched 1st June 1889, completed July 1989 by Swan & Hunter (Yard No: 141), Wallsend for Huddart, Parker & Co Ltd, Melbourne. Steamship cargo only of triple expansion engine. IDNo: 1096607. 1994 Sold to L J Mathias renamed Glanayron. Wrecked Outer Diamond Shoal, Hatteras 22 May 1896
This ship and information added 11 March 2009


Ed
Tourbook


Ed Ed
TAMBO
1892-1919
TASMANIA
1892-97
TAMBO & TASMANIA images courtesy State Library Victoria
TAMBO 732 tons. Lbd: 190' x 30'1" x 14'6". (57.9 x 9.2 metres). Steel steamship built by Ardrossan Shipbuilding Co., Ardrossan for Huddart, Parker Ltd., Melbourne. November 1902 acquired by Burns-Philp & Co Ltd., Sydney. Wrecked at Apamama, Gilbert Islands, Pacific Ocean, 10th September 1919
TASMANIA 2,252 gross tons, 1,265 net. Lbd: 286' x 38'5" x 20'9" Steel passenger steamship built by C S Swan & Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne for this concern. Triple expansion engine producing 290 nhp. It was intended she compete with the New Zealand shipping concern Union Steamship Co., for the Sydney - Hobart passenger trade, but after agreements were made, she ended up on the Trans-Tasman run. 1893 she serviced the Western Australia - Melbourne run. Foundered off the New Zealand coast, at Table Cape on the Mahia Peninsula , 29th July 1897


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ULIMAROA
1908-34
VICTORIA
1902-42
ULIMAROA 2nd image courtesy State Library Queensland
VICTORIA colour image - postcard in issue, Real Photo image (1920 under China-Australia S N ownership)courtesy Ross Ibbotson (22.07.2009) with many thanks
ULIMAROA 5,777 gross tons, 2,986 net. Lbd: 400'3" x 52'2" x 23'2". Steel twin screw passenger vessel built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee for this concern. Of twin triple expansion engines producing 1,095 nhp. Accomodated 190 first, 120 second and 120 third class passengers for the trans-tasman run. Also frequented Australian coastal routes. Sold to Japanese breakers 1934
VICTORIA 2,969 gross tons, 1,870 net. Lbd: 335' x 43'2" x 20'6". (102.1 x 13.2 metres). Steel steamship built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee for this concern. As a passenger ship, serviced mostly the trans-tasman route but also employed on Australian coastal port to port runs. 1918 sold to China-Australia Mail Steamship Co Ltd., Hong Kong. 1925 sold to Indochinois and renamed Gouvernuer General Roume. Sold 1936 to Fernandez Bros and renamed Basilan. Scuttled at Cebu 10th April 1942 by the Japanese. At that time she was employed by the Philippine Navy


Ed Ed


Ed


Ed Ed Ed
WANGANELLA
1929-70
WANGANELLA 9,576 gross tons, 5,625 net. Lbd: 461'2" x 63'9" x 29'1". Two 4-stroke Burmeister & Wain 8 Cylinders Diesels (6750 BHP) Maximum speed 17 knots Service speed 15 knots Crew 160 Passengers 304 First Class and 104 Second Class Registered Port of Melbourne Steel twin screw motor vessel built 1929 by Harland and Wolff as the Achimota. Launched for Elder Dempster Lines but after a trial (and their inability to pay for her) , she was laid up until 1932 when bought by Huddart Parker & Co Ltd., and renamed Wanganella. An excellent acquisition for this concern, she was fitted as built with twin diesels, 6,750 brake horsepower and capable of 16 1/2 knots. Of her twin funnels, one housed machinery whilst the other contained refrigeration. She could carry up to 400 passengers on the trans-tasman trade, occassionally working Australian port-to-port routes. Acquisitioned 1941 for the Allied war effort and converted into a hospital ship. Survived unscathed Bombay harbour April 14th 1944 when a nearby ammunition ship exploded. Her wartime journeys accounted for over 250,000 knots and 13,875 passengers. Postwar she was refitted for normal duties and travelled Sydney to Vancouver 1946. Her return saw planned resumption of trans-tasman duties however on the first postwar journey there she struck Barrets Reef, Wellington, survived but removed from service until 1948. With the merger/takeover in 1961 of this concern by McIwraith McEacharn Ltd., she flew their colours and was subsequently sold 1963 to New Zealand interests. In 1963 a last-minute reprieve from the scrapyard came from engineers tendering for the contract for construction of the Manapouri Power Station. Between 1963 and 1970 the Wanganella was moored in Doubtful Sound to be used as a hostel for workers building the tailrace tunnel, and the Wilmot Pass access road. At this juncture she was utilised as a floating hostel for the workers on a hydro-electric scheme in southern New Zealand. Upon completion of the scheme she was sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers
Clean up and investigate alleged owners Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co of Hong Kong who operated her under the same name as depicted on the present slide before she became a floating accomodation ship in New Zealand

Ed Ed Ed
WANGANELLA
1929-70
ACHIMOTO
WANGANELLA 3rd image as Achimoto - courtesy State Library Queensland
all others as postcards personal collection


Ed
WANGANELLA
Menu-


Ed Ed


Ed Ed Ed
WARRIMOO
1892-1918
WARRIMOO images all postcards as issued in the era
WARRIMOO 3,628 gross tons. Lb: 105.2 x 12.9 metres. Steel hulled, single screw triple expansion engine. Passenger - cargo vessel built by Swan Hunter at Newcastle upon Tyne for James Huddart, Melbourne. Service speed = 14.5 knots. Put under management of Huddart Parker & Co, she traded the Tasman Sea between Australia and New Zealand, under the Company name 'New Zealand & Australian S N Co. Thinking big, James Huddart soon after decided upon a service from Australia to England via Canada and, changed Company name to Canadian - Australian Steamship Co. Taking in Vancouver as part of it's trans-pacific run until 1901 when the Company was sold to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. From then she was employed on the Trans-Tasman route. Sold October 1916 and registered in Singapore to unknown owners. 18th May 1918 sunk after a collision off the coast of Tunis North Africa


WASTWATER
1889-1947
2,862 gross tons. Lb: 320 x 40.1 feet. (97.5 x 12.2 metres) Steel single screw, steamship built 1889 by E Withy & Co, West Hartlepool (Yard No.159) for Huddart, Parker & Co, Melbourne. Triple expansion engine. on: 95891 Cargo/collier servcing Newcastle New South Wales to various east coast ports. Short career having steamed to England 1899 with cargo of wool. 1893 owners Wastwater SS Co (Sandy, Simpson & Co), Newcastle. 1907 sold to N M Filinis, Syra, Greece renamed Filinis. 1915 sold to P Vaglianatos, Syra renamed Dionysios Vaglianatos. 1916 Imperial Russian Navy requisition, renamed Rize as Black Sea transport. 1919 renamed Inkerman. 1922 owned by National Navigation Co of Egypt, Alexandria (Costi Xydia & Son) renamed Costi. 1927 seized by USSR at Odessa renamed Krasnaya Kuban for the Soviet Naval transport. 1947 hulked
This ship and information added 11 March 2009


Ed
WARRINGA
1955-80
WARRINGA image (28971r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
WARRINGA 2716 gross tons. 4255 dwt. Lb: 103.5 x 15.1 metres. Steel single screw refrigerated cargo motorship built by Burntisland Shipbuilders. Burntisland for Huddart Parker Ltd., Melbourne. Diesel engine. 12 knots. Sold 1968 renamed Ngan Chau. Managed by Hong Kong Islands Shipping Co. Ltd. 1977 Eftychia. 1978 Merak. Broken up at Perama March 1980


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
WATAMURRA
1947-77
WEEROONA
1910-51-
WENDOUREE
1882-98
WERRIBEE
1909-43
WENDOUREE & WERRIBEE (b42050) images courtesy State Library Victoria
WATAMURRA 1,894 gross tons. 319 feet in Length. Powered by a 5 cylinder 2scsa oil engine by Atlas Diesel of Stockholm. 1947 Built by Gavle Varv and Verks Nya A/B of Sweden for Ruben Olsson of Verkeback and named Fred Olsen. 1956 Purchased by Huddart Parker Ltd of Melbourne and renamed Watamurra and was on the Sydney to Hobart run replacing the Adelong. 1961 She was purchased by McIlwraith McEacharn Pty Ltd of Melbourne along with the rest of Huddart Parker's fleet. Transferred to the Melbourne-Hobart run in 1962. 1963 chartered to the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand for general trading on the Australian Coast. 1964 She was transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd of Melbourne. 1967 sold to Isabel Navigation Co., Panama with John Manners & Co as Managers and renamed Isabel Brenda and chartered to Djakarta Lloyd for the Australia-Indonesian trade. 1968 She just about sunk the tug Argos that was assisting her departure from Sydney. 1969 Her name was changed to Jaguar. 1975 A further name change to Asia Hero. 1976 caught fire in Singapore and repairs deemed too costly and sold to the breakers. 1977 On the 14th December demolition commenced at Jurong
WEEROONA 1,412 gross tons, 623 net. Paddle Steamer. Transferred to Bay Steamers Ltd, Melbourne also owned by Huddart Parker. Operated as an excursion steamer under Bay Steamers Ltd., colours in the Port Phillip Bay trade from 1910-1942. Served as a hospital ship in World War II. 1942 requisitioned by the US Army small ships fleet. 1945 Australian Government took control. Dismantled at Berry's Bay, New South Wales in 1951
WENDOUREE 1,640 gross tons, 1,066 net. Lbd: 273'8" x 36'4" x 19'3". Steel steamship, built by S & H Morton & Co., Leith Scotland. Compounded engine producing 169 nhp. Designed as a collier and refitted to carry passengers for the Melbourne - Sydney trade. Wrecked on Oyster Bank at the mouth of the Hunter River while leaving Newcastle for Adelaide, 20th July 1898
WERRIBEE 3871 gross tons. Lbd: 108.1 x 15.2 metres. Steel steamship, built by Blyth Shipbuilding at Cowpen Quay. Single screw, powered by triple expansion engine. Service speed of 10 knots. Designed as a general cargo vessel for this concern. 1931 sold to San Peh S N Co and renamedHwa Shan. 1933 renamedHua Shan. 1938 sold to Chinese Italian Navigation Co., and renamed Granatiere Padula. 1941 acquired (captured) by the Japanese Government and renamedHaryu Maru. In a collision & wrecked NW Korea 2nd September 1943


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WESTRALIA (1)
1897-27
WESTRALIA (11)
baggage tag
WESTRALIA (11)
1929-61
WESTRALIA (1) black & White image courtesy State Library Victoria
WESTRALIA (1) 2,884 gross tons, 1819 net. Lbd: 327'4" x 41'2" x 20'5". Steel steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger vessel for the West Australian trade. Triple expansion engine producing 412 nhp. Served most of this company's ports of call. Sold November 1927 to W R Carpenter who hulked her that year. The hulk was towed to Rabaul and used as a storeship until sunk January 1942
WESTRALIA (11) 8,108 gross tons, 4,717 net. Lbd: 431'1" x 60'2" x 28'. Steel twin screw motorship built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow for this concern. As a passenger vessel carried 440 in three classes on the Melbourne - Adelaide - Fremantle run. With twin diesels (6750 bhp) she was capable of 16 knots. Commissioned as Armed Merchant Cruiser in January 1940. Served mainly in Indian Ocean and Pacific Islands until March 1943. Recommissioned and converted as Landing Ship (Infantry) . Whilst undergoing refit at Sydney in 1946 was called by the Navy and spent 2 years trooping/transportation the Army of Occupation in Japan. As conversion restarted was again called upon for service in the Mediterranean eventually handed back to owners in 1950. 1959 sold to Asian & Pacific Shipping Co, Fiji for service as a sheep carrier. Renamed Delfino in 1959 and Woolambi in 1960. Scrapped by Japanese shipbreakers from December 1961


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WIMMERA
1904-18
WOOMERA
1952-74
YARRA
1907-59
WOOMERA image personal collection
YARRA image courtesy Australian War Memorial
WIMMERA 3,022 tons. Lb: 335.3 x 43.2 feet. (102.2 x 13.2 metres). Passenger/cargo vessel built by Caird & Company Greenock for this concern. Left Auckland for Sydney with seventy-six passengers, hit a mine laid by the German raider Wolf, off Cape Farewell, New Zealand, 26 June 1918. After leaving Auckland the previous day, she struck two mines in the early hours of the morning within sight of the coast. This caused significant damage and she began to sink. Boats got the majority of passengers to safety, however Twenty-six lives were lost, as drowned or killed by the explosion. including her captain (Kell), chief officer and chief steward.
WOOMERA 4,033 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" X 53'2" X 22'6". (123.6 x 16.2 metres). Steamship general cargo vessel built at the New South Wales Government State Dockyard, Newcastle New South Wales on order from Evan Deakin & Co, Brisbane for the Australian Shipping Board as one of their "D" class vessels. No "D" name allocated and purchased on the stocks November 1950 before her launching by Huddart Parker & Co Ltd., who named her Woomera. Completed July 1952. November 1961 sold to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, Australia. Transferred January 1964 to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia. From January 1966 until January 1967 underwent vast reconstruction to become a unit load container carrier as well as conversion to oil fuel capability by their own engineering division based in Sydney. Gross tonnage increased to 5,614. June 1973 sold to Shin Shin Navigation Co., S.A. Panama and renamed Blue Jade. These owners later renamed themselves as the Blue Diamond Navigation Co., S.A. Panama. 1974 sold for demolition at Kaohsiung
YARRA 2257 or 2140 tons. Lb: 89.0 x 13.4 metres. Steel hulled single screw steamship built by Furness Withy at Middleton. Triple expansion engine, 10 knots service speed. Cargo vessel built for Huddart Parker & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne. 1946 sold to United Corp of China and renamed Kuo Lien. 1948 sold to Tai Chong Cheang and renamed Tai Sung. deleted from register 1959


Ed
ZEALANDIA (1)
1899-1928
ZEALANDIA (1) image (a639053r) as the Paloona courtesy State Library New South Wales
ZEALANDIA (1) 2,771 gross tons, 1,736 net. Lbd: 327' x 42' x 20'5". Steel steamship built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee as a passenger ship for this concern. Triple expansion engine producing 437 nhp. Designed for the trans-tasman trade with spells of Australian port-to-port passenger services, including the run to West Australia in 1899. September 1908 sold to Union Steamship Co of New Zealand and renamed Paloona. 1922 laid up, 1928 as a hulk, scuttled in forming a mole off Otago Heads New Zealand


Ed Ed Ed Ed
ZEALANDIA (11)
1910-42
1st image personal collection
above 2nd & 4th image courtesy State Library New South Wales
camouflage image courtesy Australian War Memorial
ZEALANDIA (11) 6,660 gross tons, 3,482 net. Lbd: 410'3" x 54'7" x 23'4". Steel twin screw passenger steamship built by J Brown & Co., Clydebank for this concern's trans-tasman trade. Twin quadruple expansion engines producing 1157 nhp. The largest vessel of the fleet at the time. After delivery she was chartered to the Union Line for their Vancouver service. Upon return resumed with this concern operating out of Fremantle. Requisitioned by the Admiralty in May 1918 and carried American troops from New York to Liverpool and British troops from India to London. She also carried Australian troops back to the Commonwealth. Resumed services Sydney - Western Australia in December 1919. Replaced by the Westralia in 1929 and serviced the trans-tasman trade up until the Wanganella arrived taking over that trade. Switched to the Sydney - Hobart trade where she gained popular notoriety until the outbreak of World War 11. 1940 engaged in trooping and re-supply, in the Darwin area in December that year transporting troops Brisbane-Port Moresby March 1941, Darwin-Koepang in December. The first Japanese air-raids on Darwin 19 February 1942 made her a target and she was lost, having being bombed and strafed with incendiary bullets. The huge amount of spot fires within left no option but to abandon ship, all saved however two later died from resultant wounds


TUGBOATS & other craft
Ed Ed Ed Ed
PELICAN
1898-1920
NYORA
1909-17
....................
....................
NYORA image as a model on display at Melbourne Museum of 1950
PELICAN 222 gross, 30 net. Lb: 115' x 22'1". Tug built for McIlwraith McEacharn & Co Ltd and Huddart Parker & Co, Melbourne by Fleming & Ferguson Paisley, at Yard No 273 Engines by Fleming & Ferguson Paisley.Propulsion: 2 x T3cy 40nhp 460ihp 2sc. 1909 Sold to Geelong Harbor Trust, Geelong and renamed G F HOLDEN in 1910. Hulked 1920
NYORA 306 gross tons. Lbd: 135' x 25' x 14'6". Steel single screw tug built and engined by J P Rennolsaon & Sons, South Shields England for Huddart Parker & Co., Melbourne. Serviced the Port of Melbourne in a familiar role for most of her career. 9th July 1917 foundered approx 50 miles west of Kingston, South Australia having passed Kangaroo Island with the auxiliary schooner 'Astoria' in tow



Chartered & Managed Vessels
Ed Ed Ed
NEW GUINEA
1884-1911
FRAM
1885-1900
RIVER MURCHISON
1944-63
RIVER MURCHISON image courtesy Matterson Marine
NEW GUINEA image courtesy State Library Victoria
NEW GUINEA 2,674 gross tons, 1,700 net. Iron hulled single screw steamship of 300' X 40'1" x 24'5". Built by W Doxford & Sons, Sunderland predominantly as a cargo vessel for McIlwraith McEacharn & Co Ltd, London. 1885 - 1889 chartered to British India S.N. Co., London. Returning to original owners, she was employed on the Melbourne - West Australian run during the 'goldrush' era early 1890 onwards and carried passengers bound for the goldfields. Ship's registry transferred to Melbourne 1893. Was on a voyage from Melbourne to Sydney, whilst under charter to Huddart-Parker & Co., Melbourne when she foundered and was wrecked in Disaster Bay, off Green Cape New South Wales, 13th February 1911
FRAM 2,224 gross tons, 1,405 net. Lbd: 285'3" x 36'5" x 18'8". Steel steamship, Passenger/cargo as built by E Withy & Co., West Hartlepool as the Washington City for C Furness. Carried 'Fram' as a name under the ownership of S M Khunle & Son, Bergen Sweden as at 1894. Chartered by Huddart Parker & Co for use on the West Australian run, taking in the ports of Albany, Bunbury, Fremantle and Geraldton whilst carrying steerage passengers. Length of charter unknown. Wrecked Seaton Rocks, Blyth 26th October 1900
RIVER MURCHISON 5,062 gross tons. 2,623 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". (136.85 x 17 metres) Built at the BHP Ltd., shipyards, Whyalla for the Australian Government with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers until October 1947 when management was transferred to the Australian Shipping Board. In February 1957 the Australian National Line under took management. In February 1963 sold through Mitsubishi Shoji Kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K K for demolition. Left Sydney in tow of tug Nissho Maru (with River Fitzroy) for Japan. In May 1963 demolition began at Yokosuku


<
Ed Ed Ed
RIVER MURRAY
1945-59
ROCKTON
1882-1923
PIKEPOOL
1942-67
RIVER MURRAY & ROCKTON images courtesy State Library Victoria
RIVER MURRAY 5,032 gross tons. 2,901 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built at the BHP Ltd., shipyards, Whyalla for the the Australian Government with Huddart Parker Ltd as managers. October 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. August 1959 sold to Albert Sims Ltd., Australia with registry taken in Hong Kong. July 1959 transferred to Hang Fung Shipping & Trading Co Ltd of Hong Kong. December 1959 demolition begun at Osaka
ROCKTON1,971 gross tons, 1,189 net. Lbd: 27-'3" x 37'2" x 22'7". Iron steamship 2 masted schooner rigged, compounded engine producing 400 horsepower. Built as a passenger vessel for ASN Co., by Napier, Shanks & Bell, Yoker Scotland. Of AUSN Co April 1887. On charter from AUSN in 1898 in replacing the Burrumbeet from Melbourne to Newcastle. Sold 1904 to Osaka Shosen Kaisha and renamed Kanko Maru. Sold 1917 to Hara Shin-ichi and renamed Shinsei Maru No. 5. Scrapped Japan 1923
PIKEPOOL 7,178 gross tons, 10,490 dwt. Lb: 134.4 x 17.1 metres. Steel steamship, cargo only as built by Todd Bath Iron S.B. Corp., Portland as the Ocean Pilgrim for the Ministry of War Transport, Cardiff. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. Purchased 1947 by Ropner Shipping Co Ltd, England, renamed, and owned from 1947 until 1959. Bareboat chartered by the Australian Shipping Board from 19th January 1949 until 8th March 1950. Bareboat chartered by Huddart Parker Ltd., Australia from 7th April 1951 until unknown date. 1959 sold to J Livanos & Sons, Greece and renamed Marigo. 1966 sold to Amfitriti Shipping Co, Cyprus renamed Amfitriti. November 1967 scrapped at Kaohsiung



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved