FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


JOHN BURKE and Co Ltd

Commenced 1880
JOHN BURKE (1842-1919) and JOHN EDWARD BURKE (1871-1947)
were shipmasters and ship-owners on the Australian coast
When he first arrived from the Northern Hemisphere, John Burke jumped ship, worked briefly as a pilot, then joined the Australasian Steam Navigation Co., sailing as a deck-hand aboard the steamships Queensland and Telegraph
In 1864 he joined a partnership of A G Robinson and W H Smith in the ownership of the steamer 'You Yangs', that partnership also trading as the Melbourne Steam Ship Company. 1883 saw the main player (W H Smith) in that Company exit the business partnership and the company dissolved. Since, and after working for a time on Queensland river and bay vessels, Burke secured a master's licence restricted to sheltered waters, and commanded the Fanny, trading to the Logan and Albert rivers for Honeyman & Sons. In the Logan flood of 22 January 1887, Burke and his crew worked indefatigably to save over fifty lives and earned a public testimonial.
When his employers closed down that year, he bought the Louisa from them and traded first to Ipswich and the Logan and Albert rivers and later into Moreton Bay. The Louisa brought the first relief supplies to Ipswich after the 1893 flood. Burke acquired other small vessels and lighters for his fleet and in the early twentieth century added coal-bunkering plant. About 1910 he sold the lighters and bunkering plant and bought the Porpoise to establish a coastal service. He later added the Gundiah and the paddle-steamer Adonis for the Maryborough-Townsville timber trade. He retired in 1915 but served as a director of John Burke Ltd until his death from pneumonic influenza on 3 June 1919. He was buried in Toowong cemetery with Roman Catholic rites.

John Edward Burke
was born on 8 January 1871 in Brisbane. Educated at state schools, he began work as a plumber's assistant, then served as a deck-hand on the Fanny and, probably from 1887, shared ownership of John Burke & Son.
When his father retired, John Edward took over management of the company. Services were extended along the Queensland coast and in 1921 to the Gulf of Carpentaria, which was soon described by residents as 'Burke's flaming ocean'.

Difficulties created by waterfront strikes and cost increases in the 1920s and 1930s were compounded by the loss of two ships. The Douglas Mawson, chartered from the Queensland government, disappeared during a Gulf cyclone in March 1923 and twelve crewmen and five passengers perished; the company-owned Dorrigo sank off Double Island Point on 2 April 1926 with a loss of twenty-two lives. The paintwork of his ships, originally Irish green, was changed to black with green funnels after repeated black bans by striking unions. However, the firm held the respect of its men who argued that 'they fed us well and treated us well'; many employees became shareholders. He would have no truck with women, even in his office, because no lady would stand his language.
He saw a big future for the company in promoting Gulf settlement and became a provisional director of a proposed Karumba Co-operative Meat and Canning Co. The plan proved abortive but, when eventually in 1934 Shand's Gulf Meatworks were constructed, Burke's supplied the wharf at Karumba where the meatworks continued to operate until World War II.
Burke died on 8 October 1947 at his home at Kangaroo Point and was buried in Toowong cemetery with Roman Catholic rites. His estate was valued for probate at £48,264. His son John Augustine (1896-1972) managed the company in his turn until it was taken over by the Dillingham Corporation in 1968.
December 1989 receivers were appointed John Burke Ltd


Sydney - Cooktown - Brisbane - Bundaberg - MacKay - Cairns - Thursday Island - Gulf of Carpentaria




Ed
FUNNEL


CHRONOLOGICAL LISTING
where known

Ed Ed Ed Ed
LOUISA
c1887
PORPOISE
1875-1937
ADONIS
1883-1927
GUNDIAH
1901-19__
LOUISA (67299p), PORPOISE & ADONIS images courtesy State Library Queensland
LOUISA First vessel purchased. Was owned by Honeyman & Sons. Plied trade to Ipswich and the Logan and Albert rivers and later into Moreton Bay. No other details known
PORPOISE 91 gross tons. Lbd: 92'5" x 18' x 7'6". Iron steamship built at the Pyrmont workshops of ASN Co., Sydney. 1883 Lengthened to be 110 gross tons and Lbd: 103'8" x 17'9" x 6'9". Of AUSN Co 1887. Sold to John Burke & Co 1908. With this vessel he began coastal services outside of Moreton Bay and adjacent rivers to travel as far north as Cairns. At some later time was converted into a lighter. Removed from register 1937 and remains abandoned on the Norman River, North Queensland 1942
ADONIS 160 gross tons, 116 net. Lbd 109.8 x 21.6 x 7.1 feet. Composite paddle steamer. Was owned by Dath Henderson, Brisbane, who also owned a sawmill on the Noosa River at Tewantin. Built in Brisbane. Chartered June l915 to John Burke & Co., and by 1920 was employed carrying timbers from Maryborough to Broad Sound. (Was perhaps later sold to J Burke & Co) Register closed March 30, 1927 with 'Run ashore and burnt on Hercules Bank, mouth of Brisbane River, since renamed Bishop Island'
GUNDIAH 193 gross tons. Lbd: 117'9" x 24'5" x 7'4". Wooden steamship of limited passenger capacity built by D Sullivan of Coopernook New South Wales as the Hastings for Allen Taylor, Sydney. 1904 sold to N Cain. Since owned briefly by North Coast S N Co until sold (another record states chartered) to John Burke Ltd., Brisbane. Renamed Gundiah. Along with the Adonis, by 1920 was employed carrying timbers from Maryborough to Broad Sound. Last known to have ended her days in Tasmanian waters


Ed Ed Ed Ed
NAUTILUS
1879-1928
HOPEWELL
1900-34
GAYUNDAH
1884-1958
KALLATINA
1890-1931
HOPEWELL image (9695p) courtesy State Library Queensland
NAUTILUS 260 gross tons. Lbd: 135'5" x 23'1" x 10'3". Iron steamship built by J Walker & Co., Maryborough Queensland for the Queensland Government. Held a steam engine producing 47 nautical horsepower. Sold/acquired by the Townsville Harbour Board in December 1915. John Burke Ltd purchased her in May 1916. Refitted to read 288 gross tons in 1917. Foundered and sank north-west of Bustard Head Queensland 6th May 1928
HOPEWELL 337 gross tons. Lbd: 145' x 24'1" x 8'3". Steel steamship, signle screw built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley Scotland for R M Hyne, Maryborough Queensland. Triple expansion engine producing 65 nominal horsepower. Machinery aft. Chartered briefly for timber work by John Burke & Co 1920. Resumed as a timber carrier for R M Hyne and, upon his death, placed by the family under the title 'Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd'. Continued as a timber carrier until 1930 and laid off during the depression. 1934 placed again on the timber trade but found cost-prohibitive and stripped down to a hulk. Register closed 1938. Hulk believed ashore at Comboyuro
GAYUNDAH 360 gross tons. Lbd: 120' x 26' x 9'6" (36 x 7.8 x 2.85 metres). Gunboat as built by Sir W.G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Launched 13 May 1884. Commissioned 1884. Machinery Horizontal direct action compound steam engines, twin screws. Horsepower 400. Speed 10.5 knots. Range 700-800 miles. Bunkerage 75 tons coal. Acquired to deal with the perceived threat from the Russian Pacific fleet, Gayundah and her sister ship Paluma were the first vessels ordered by the Queensland government for the colony's Maritime Defence Force. Their names are aboriginal words for 'lightning' and 'thunder' respectively. Built at a cost of £35,000 each, the vessels were of a 'flat-iron' design and mounted a formidable armament for their size. Both ships carried out trials on 26 September 1884 and reached a speed slightly over 10.5 knots in full power trials over a ten mile course. Gayundah sailed from Newcastle-on-Tyne for Australia under the command of Captain Henry Townley-Wright, RN, on 13 November 1884. Wright had been appointed Senior Naval Officer of the Queensland Maritime Defence Force in 1881.Arrived at Brisbane on 28 March 1885. Being fitted with masts and yards, she carried sails to assist her during the long journey. Thereafter Gayundah's chief duties were the protection of Moreton Bay and training ship for the Queensland Maritime Defence Force. 9 April 1903 won some claim to fame when she carried out the first ship to shore wireless telegraphy experiments in Australia. The ship's aerial was kept aloft by tall bamboo pole lashed to the foremast. On 23 August 1918 Gayundah finally paid off in Melbourne. Sold in 1921 to Brisbane Gravel Pty Ltd, she returned to Queensland and began a long and useful career as a sand and gravel barge. N L McKellar in his book 'Derby round to Burketown' states sold to John Burke & Co 1921 and converted to carry cargo. She sank at her moorings at Melton Reach in October 1930 but was soon raised and back at work. Early in 1958 she was towed to Bulimba Wharf in Brisbane and stripped with the hull then sold to the Redcliffe Town Council. On 2 June 1958, after seventy-four years afloat, Gayundah was beached as a breakwater off the Woody Point cliffs on the Redcliffe Peninsula just north of Brisbane. Her remains are still visible
KALLATINA 646 gross tons, 380 net. Lbd: 179'1" x 28'2" x 11'4". Steel steamship built by D J Dunlop & Co., Port Glasgow, 1890. Built as a passenger vessel for the Clarence, Richmond & MacLeay River S N Co registered Sydney. September 1891 of the North Coast S N Co., Sydney working the north coast run. Sold to John Burke Ltd., Brisbane in June of 1921 and altered to measure 628 gross tons and 306 net. J Burke employed her on the Queensland coastal run and taking in the Gulf of Carpentaria ports until sold circa 1930 and hulked in 1931; lying as a breakwater on Moreton island, off Tangalooma. Replaced in the fleet by the Wandana in 1932


Ed
PALMER
1884-1927
PALMER image courtesy State Library Queensland
PALMER 267 gross tons, 133 net. Lbd: 140'2" x 26' x 8'5". Steel twin screw steamship, twin compounded engines of 74 horsepower built by J Fullerton, Paisley for ASN Co. As a passenger vessel, she frequented Queensland ports, especially Townsville, and also travelled as far as Fiji, possibly on the mail run. April 1887 of AUSN Co. 1890 her tonnage read 298 gross and 164 net. Sold April 1920 to J T Gray. November 1920 of the Victorian Shipping Co Ltd. March 1924 of John Burke Ltd., Brisbane. No doubt worked the North Queensland trade until converted into a lighter 1927. 1938 was still bunkering coal on the Brisbane River where and since, her remains are upon the South Bank near the Gray Street Bridge


Ed Ed Ed Ed
DOUGLAS MAWSON
1914-23
DORRIGO
1913-26
CANONBAR
1910-60
POONBAR
1913-51
DOUGLAS MAWSON image courtesy of National Archives Australia image E490 barcode 7516365 accession no E490/2
DORRIGO image courtesy of State Library Queensland
CANONBAR image courtesy State Library New South Wales
POONBAR image courtesy State Library Queensland
DOUGLAS MAWSON 333 gross tons, 167 net. Lbd: 141'6" x 30'7" x 7'8". Wooden twin-screw steamer built at Bawley Point, Sydney by A W Settree. Twin compounded engines producing 40 horsepower. Capable of 9 knots. Owned by A & E Ellis Ltd., Sydney. April 1918 owned by an un-named West Australian Syndicate. Later in 1918 bought by R W Miller, Newcastle, and sold 1919-20 to the Queensland Government. Had minimal passenger accomodation and was utilised for the passenger run from Cairns to the Gulf of Carpentaria by the Queensland Government. Found expensive to run and was laid up 1921 until chartered 1923 by John Burke Ltd., Brisbane. March 1923, on her first chartered run, went missing presumed foundered near Groote Island off the Gulf of Carpentaria during a cyclone
DORRIGO 715 gross tons, 333 net. Lbd: 180'5" x 29'6" x 13'6". Built as a passenger-cargo steamship at Smiths Dock Co Ltd, Middlesborough as the St Francois. Original owner unknown. Acquired 1921 by Langley Brothers Steamship Co., Sydney and renamed. May 1925 acquired by North Coast S N Co Ltd. August 1926 owned by John Burke Ltd and placed on the Sydney - Brisbane - North Queensland run. Sank off Double Island Point on 2 April 1926 with a loss of twenty-two lives
CANONBAR 708 gross tons, 363 net. Lbd: 185'8" x 32'1" x 11'. Steel passenger steamship built at Ardrossan Drydock & Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold 1926 to John Burke & Co Ltd., Brisbane. Worked the Sydney - Cairns service until 1933 when placed upon the Brisbane - Townsville run. Took in the ports of Maryborough, Bundaberg, Rockhampton and Mackay each way. Possibly had her passenger accomodation removed under this ownership. Requisitioned by U S Army small ships fleet 1943 and transferred to the Australian Commonwealth Government after hostilities ceased. Sold 1946 to Hong Kong interests and renamed Rosita. 1958 sold again and renamed Valiente and registered In Panama. Since, under the name Kettara 1V, reported missing in Mekong River, Vietnam, whilst another source states she was 'broken up' 1960
POONBAR 909 gross tons, 421 net. Lbd: 200'4" x 34'1" x 12'2". Steel twin screw steamship built 1913 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, Sydney as a cargo vessel. Was of 98 horsepower. At the time she was their largest cargo vessel and intended for the Lismore trade on the Richmond River. Sold during 1927 to S H Hammond, Tasmania. Placed upon the Hobart - Sydney - Brisbane service. Later same year ran a Brisbane - Northern Rivers of New South Wales Service fortnightly, alternating with a Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane service. A tough arena was the Brisbane - Northern Rivers trade and, he succumbed finanically with the Corrimal, his other vessel on the route, being sold in November 1927 whilst the Poonbar was laid up pending sale. Sold January 1928 Nelson & Robertson Pty Ltd., Brisbane, who almost immediately chartered her out long term to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. 1936 saw Ivan Nelson, Brisbane hold full ownership. Ran for John Burke & Co until 1947 (unsure if he ever purchased this vessel) when sold to Manners & Co, Hong Kong (Panama registry) renamed San Ernesto. 1950 to Wallem & Co., Panama. 1951 scrapped Hong Kong


Ed Ed Ed Ed
WANDANA
1913-48
TINANA
1901-50
CORRIMAL
1911-69
TINANA (165003p) (on the Mary River) & WANDANA images courtesy State Library Queensland
CORRIMAL as AYRFIELD image courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
WANDANA 974 tons. Steel single screw steamer built for the West Coast Shipping Co by Mackie & Thomson Ltd, in Glasgow, Scotland, in 1913. Passenger accommodation - 80 first class, 20 steerage. When first purchased by the West Coast Shipping Co after one run on the West Coast she was sent into Spencer Gulf. After the takeover of the Coast Steamships Ltd in 1915 was chartered by the Adelaide Steamship Co to run the mail around the Spencer Gulf ports, and did so for the next 12 years. Owned by John Burke - 1931-1948. Requisitioned WW2 1941. Wandana means "Along the coast"
TINANA 808 gross tons. Lbd: 210' x 31' x 13'2". Built by Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel. Sold 3rd July 1925 to W Collins & Sons, Brisbane. Sold 1933 to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. She ran the Sydney, Brisbane & Cooktown run. Replaced by the Mygreta in May 1936, she underwent repairs takin over one and a half years whilst the Mygreta came and went within that time being herself a bad acquisition mechanically and finacially. Resumed the Sydney - Cooktown service and survived WW2. 1946 sold to Foo Shin Steamship Co., Shanghai and renamed Foo Shin. 1947 sold to Ta Pei S N Co and renamed Ta Pei. 1949 sold to Tai Chong Hsiang and renamed Yung Yao. Appeared on Lloyd's shipping register in 1950 as Tinana but deleted owing to lack of real evidence. Fate unknown
CORRIMAL 1,140 gross tons, 682 net. Lbd 239'0" x 34'8" x 15'5". General cargo vessel built by Greenock and Grangemouth Dockyard Grangemouth for G S Yuill & Co Ltd Australia. 1926 sold to White Steamship Co Ltd Australia. July 1927 sold to Hammond & Co Australia. November 1927 sold to James Patrick & Co Ltd., Australia. Early 1935 chartered to John Burke & Co Ltd., Brisbane until the delivery of the Cardross as sold was delivered, that being mid 1935. November 1942 Requisitioned by Australian Government and purchased December 1944 with James Patrick as managers since November 1942. December 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. Laid up during 1949. Sold 1950 to Bitumen & Oil Refineries (Australia) Ltd., remained laid up. 1951 sold to R W Miller and Co., Australia, converted into a collier and renamed Ayrfield. sold for demolition 1969


Ed


Ed Ed Ed Ed
BIDELIA
1927-55
LEISHA
1936-54
MYGRETA
1930-55
ALAGNA
1928-55
BIDELIA image (303001) courtesy Australian War Memorial
LEISHA image (185943p) courtesy State Library Queensland
ALAGNA image courtesy R Priest
BIDELIA 1,385 gross tons. Lb: 69.2 x 10.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel as built by John Lewis at Aberdeen for J Patrick Ltd and named Cardross. Of triple expansion engine making 9 knots. Sold to J. Burke Ltd., Brisbane 1935 and renamed Bidelia. Under this name operated along the Queensland coast from 1935-1955. 1955 sold to Madrigal Shipping Co., and renamed Juno. Went missing - last radioed 18.20N/118.44E 10.10.64, for Brunei
LEISHA 84 gross tons. Lbd: 73'2" x 18'6" x 7'6". Wooden motor ship built by Norman Wright, Brisbane for John Burke Ltd. Fairbanks Morse diesel of 120 bhp. Sold August 1954 to Wide Bay Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Maryborough Queensland. Sunk after leaking about one mile south of Double Island Point Queensland in heavy seas on December 8th 1954. Salvage attempts failed and remains are present near where the mv Cherry Venture went ashore in 1973
MYGRETA 1,422 gross tons. Lb: 66.7 x 10.2 metres. Steel twin screw passenger-cargo vessel built by Kiousin at Shanghai as the Yung Ping for Ta Chen Nav Co Ltd, Shanghai. Diesel engine making 10 knots. Recorded as purchased 1936, arriving Australian waters in May. Required some refitting to be adaptable for the local service, that being the Sydney - Cooktown run in replacing the Tinana. Was out of service from October 1936 until February 1937 with serious engine trouble. Broke down again in August and having spent half her time inoperative, she was sold to Messageries Maritime in October 1937 and renamed Polynesien. Broken up at Hong Kong commencing September 1955
ALAGNA 730 gross tons. Lbd: 180' x 31' x 11'6". Built Grangemouth Dockyard, England as the Malake for Burns Philp (South Seas) Ltd., registered Suva. February 1939 sold to John Burke Ltd and renamed Alagna. Service the Brisbane - Northern Queensland ports. Scrapped late 1955


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
ELSANNA
1929-56
NYORA
1935-79
WYRALLAH
1934-2004
WAIBEN (1)
1940-73
KURANDA
1937-63
ELSANNA (30060p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
NYORA image (b45456) courtesy State Library Victoria
WYRALLAH image courtesy R Priest - Nautical Association of Australia
ELSANNA 1,567 gross, 795 net. Lbd: 240'6" X 40'2" X 12'3". Steel hulled twin screw motorship built by International Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Danzig. 1948 acquired from KPM (Dutch owned) line when this vessel was named El Libertador and renamed by John Burke & Co., Brisbane. Capable of accomodating 78 passengers in servicing Brisbane - Thursday Island. November 1956 sold to Panamanian owners and renamed Flying Dove only to steam to Hong Kong for scrapping purposes
NYORA 1,299 gross tons, 681 net. Lbd: 242'6" x 36'1" x 13'5". General cargo motor vessel built by Nordseewerke Emden G m b H., Emden Germany as the Adrian. 1938 transferred ownership to Ernst Komrowski, Reederei, Hamburg. Seized by Allies at Copenhagen 1945, handed over to Ministry of Transport (UK) and renamed Empire Conifer. Allocated (leased?) as war reparations to the Australian Government 1945. Arrived Australian shores New Years Day 1947, laid up from October at Sydney for extensive modifications. Registry transferred May 1948 to Australia and officially bought for one penny in September 1948 and renamed Nyora. Sold to John Burke & Co., December 1953. Owned by Robin & Co, Panama in 1963 renamed Selat Singkep. 64-Molopo, 64 Anban, 65 Basongo, 66 Medduno, 69 Mesawa, 76 Forevergreen, 77 Majullah, 78 Jayawang. 23rd July 1978 sank near Bangkok. 1979 Raised but sank again
WYRALLAH 1,049 tons. Lbd: 216'4" x 36'7" x 8'3". (66 x 11.2 metres) Steel motor vessel built by Burmeister & Wain at Copenhagen, 1934. Worked the Lismore run until commissioned by the Royal Australian Navy in 2nd September 1940. February 1942 renamed HMAS Wilcannia as a patrol vessel. Returned to owners post hostilities and reverted to her original name and service. Sold 1954 to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. Sold 1961 to Noumea interests (Captain Emile Savoie) in 1960 and renamed Colorado del Mar. Sold in 1964, to Fiji interests and renamed Tamata (ashore, beached at some time). Returned to Noumea ownership and renamed back to Colorado del Mar. Of Singapore owners in 1972 and renamed Union Pacific. 1973 renamed Ocean Life, in 1976 as Sri Mahkota, and in 1979 as Sinar Surya. Broken up at Chittagong 22nd March 2004
WAIBEN (1) 1,379 tons. Lbd: 219'5" x 39'1" x 13'. Steel motorship built by Caledon S B & E Co, Dundee for Adelaide Steamship Co as the Morialta, a passenger ship on the South Australian Spencer Gulf trades. Requisitioned by British Admiralty for WW2 duties. Returned to South Australian waters 1946. Sold September 1957 to John Burke Ltd, Brisbane and renamed Waiben. Was used along the coast of Queensland from about 1957 to 1964. Sold December 1964 to Noumea renamed Jacques Del Mar. Sold 1968 renamed Long Life. Early 1972 renamed Royal Martin later same year renamed Island Pearl. December 23rd 1973 struck a mine on a voyage from Phnom Penh to Singapore, capsized and sank
KURANDA 1,262 gross tons. Lb: 68.2 x 12 metres. Steel single screw steamship built as the Mulubinda by Robb at Leith for Newcastle & Hunter River Steamship Co Ltd, Newcastle New South Wales. Cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 12 knots. Was commissioned by the RAN during WW2. 1959 sold to J Burke & Co Ltd., Brisbane renamed Kuranda. 1963 sold to Jin Hoe Co renamed Jinsan. 1966 sold to Forward Shipping Co renamed Jetley. Renamed again in 1967 Edmaria. 1969 sold to Kin Wah Maritime Co renamed Kin Wah. Limpet-mined in Nha Trang port 15th October 1969


Ed Ed Ed Ed
KORARA
1947-71
WAIBEN (11)
1949-87
DUNDAS
1969-
JOHN BURKE
1970-2006
KORARA image courtesy State Library Queensland
WAIBEN (11) image as the Elmore courtesy State Library Queensland
JOHN BURKE image courtesy R Priest - Nautical Association of Australia
KORARA 388 tons. Lbd: unknown. Steel motorship built by C R D Adrtiatico Monfalcone as the Egenes for T Johnsen. 1948 renamed Erdstaal when sold to the Erdstaal Co. 1951 owned by 'Gruno' and renamed Quirina. 1954 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co and renamed Korara. Employed on the Queensland coast as a motor powered lighter carrying sugar from Mourilyan and Goondi to Cairns. 1961 recorded as a sugar lighter and owned by John Burke Ltd of Brisbane. 1970 owned by Stannard Bros renamed Karoola. Mid 1971 she was taken to Sydney, stripped of valuable workings and as a hull, presented to the Royal Australian Navy who towed it out to sea and sunk it by gunfire (Korara - aboriginal word for 'Clouds')
WAIBEN (11) 584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built as the Elmore by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough, Queensland for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. January 1965 sold to John Burke Ltd., Australia and renamed Waiben. April 1966 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed in 1966 Nukumamu. 1970 sold to Bougainville Trading Co (1970) Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1973 sold to Morehead Shipping Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Sulpicio Lines Inc., Philippines and renamed Dona Lily. Deleted from registry 1990 believed scrapped Philippines by 1987
DUNDAS 305 gross tons, 344 deadweight. Lb: 41.4 x 10.6 metres. Twin scew diesel engine landing craft built at Cairns by North Queensland Engineers & Agents Pty Ltd. 1978 Lengthened 49.5m oa, 366 gross tons. No further details known
JOHN BURKE 1661 tons. 2147 deadweight. Lb: 72.4 x 15.5 metres. Cargo vessel built at Adelaide Shipbuilding, Port Adelaide for John Burke & Co. Roll on - roll off design, twin screw diesel engine making 12 knots. Served Thursday Island from the mainland on a regular basis early 1980's. Sold 1985 with numerous name changes and owners 'unknown' - Nuigini Kula - 1989 Ngamaru III - 2001 Black Bart - 2002 Southern Motu - 2004 Itac Express. Broken up at Alang from 9th May 2006


Ed Ed
SID MCGRATH
1978-2003
LEICHARDT
1981-
SID MCGRATH image shown as the BASS REEFER
LEICHARDT No information known on this vessel. Was a vessel working familiar J Burke services out of Thursday Island - Cairns as a cargo vessel for Mason Shipping.
SID MCGRATH2,414 gross tons, 668 net, 2,745 deadweight. Lbd: 99.52 x 17.84 x 5.77 metres. Cargo carrier as completed by Ube Dockyard Co Ltd., Osaka Japan for Dillingham Australia Pty Ltd (john Burke Shipping), Brisbane. Machinery 2 x eight cylinder 4SA oil engines. Service speed of 16.25 knots and 18 crew. 1988 transferred to Coral Sea Shipping Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea with registry at Port Moresby. August 1989 known to have serviced Townsville - Brisbane. 26th November 1989 laid up at Brisbane. December 1989 receivers appointed to John Burke Ltd. 6th September 1990 acquired by Bass Express Ships Ltd (Sea Containers Ltd., Bermuda), with Linerbulk Shipping Pty Ltd., Melbourne acting as agents. She was renamed Bass Reefer and registered at Geelong, Victoria. BHP Transport Ltd appointed managers same year. Refitted at Brisbane and on 30th September 1990 entered service between Geelong and Stanley, Tasmania. 1991 owners named changed to Bass Reefer Pty Ltd. 31st January 1992 Howard Smith Industries Pty Ltd appointed as managers until July 1992. September 1992 owners became Boxer 2 Ltd., Bermuda (Sea Containers Ltd) with vessel registered at Nassau, Bahamas. 1997 renamed Coral Trader. Deleted from register 2003/4


MANAGED VESSELS
Ed
DELAMERE
1946-73
DELAMERE image personal collection
DELAMERE 2,354 gross tons. 1,115 net. Lbd 291'4" x 46'4" x 19'0". Built at the BHP Shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Government with John Burke & Co Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred Oct 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. March 1957 sold to Western Australian Government's 'State Shipping Service' and given extensive refit over 11 month period. Tonnage gross increased to 2,385. 1971 sold to Century Shipping Lines S.A. Panama renamed Century Ruby. 1972 sold to Kwong Wah Nav Co, Panama and renamed Poly. 1973 sold for demolition


NOOSA- 31 gross ton schooner in the fleet from 1912 up until at least 1946


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2008 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved