FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

Quick jump
A - Z

CARADALE
CARDROSS (1)
CARDROSS (11)
CARDROSS (111)
CARDROSS (1V)
CARLISLE
CORRIMAL
CRAIGEND
CULCAIRN
DAYLESFORD
DURANBAH
EUGOWRA
GABO
INDUNA
INGA
KINDUR
LADY ISOBEL
MAWATTA
NORTHERN FIRTH
NORWEST
POOLTA
RIVER NORMAN
SEALARK 111
TIMARU

Fleet lists
Home



Port Australia
FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA ESSENTIAL DATA

OF


PATRICK STEAMSHIP Company Limited (1919)
also known as
JAMES PATRICK & Co Ltd (1925)
Became JAMES PATRICK & Co Pty Ltd from 1937 onwards

After several years at sea, James Patrick (later Captain) arrived in Australia by sailing ship in 1900, at the age of 20. From some point forward of this time, he served aboard the Archibald Currie fleet, the known as Currie Line, Melbourne. Qualified as a Master Mariner in 1908 he continued at sea, mainly in Asian trade. 1913 saw Currie Line sold to British-India Line, London. 1914-18 James Patrick served with the Royal Australian Navy, reaching the rank of Lieutenant-Commander. He then sought over the next decade to establish his own Australian shipping line, relying on old ships discarded by others. May 1919 purchased the Timaru and placed her in service between Tasmanian ports - Melbourne - Brisbane. September 1919 in partnership with Mr. F W Radford founded and established Patrick Steamship Co. Ltd
Purchased the Sealark 111 from the Royal Navy in 1920 and later the Induna and the schooner Abermama that was built 1918
In a complicated arrangement with A H Hassell (who chartered vessels from the North Coast S N Co, Sydney and placed them on the Tasmanian - mainland run), W Collin & Sons, Queensland, Gibson & Murdoch who owned the steamship Musgrave and the Brisbane based firm of Nixon-Smith & Bellgrove, Port agencies occurred. This concordance saw the Sealark 111 venture as far North as Townsville 1921 under the agency of Nixon-Smith & Bellgrove
This arrangement may have possibly seen James Patrick either charter or act as agent for the steamser Merimbula which then chartered by A H Hassell from the Illawarra Steamship Co
1920 chartered the Mawatta from the AUstralian Government, 1921 purchased the steamer Gabo from China-Australia Line. Continued operating the Tasmanian run from the main land as well as the servicing the Melbourne - Brisbane range
August 1921 he began to cut freight charges on certain lines of cargo plus, gave other concessions as the loading and discharging of vessels outside of wharves and /or alongside overseas vessels. This began a 'freight War' with other shipping Companies operating on the Australian coast
During 1924, went into voluntary liquidation yet quickly reformed in January 1925 as James Patrick & Company Limited in directing their coastal shipping fleet and stevedoring operations of their vessels
Problems mainly of competition from larger companies, beset the path to the late 1930s. Where undercutting the more established shipping concerns helped gain footing, later agreements with those shipping competitors in certain trading areas decided survival of this concern.
World War II saw James Patrick ships requisitioned by the Australian Government for the war effort. During that period, the stevedoring of other Australian Government requisitioned vessels as well as acting as ship agents as per Australian Government’s request realised greater experience in operations.
1941-42 J R Patrick was appointed the the Shipping Control Board, a Committee set up by the Australian Government at the outbreak of World War 2
Was also in 1942 a representative of The Independant Shipowners Association
Original founder Captain James Patrick died in 1945
1946 saw vessels chartered from other shipping concerns and Management duties granted by the Australian Government of post WW2 constructed vessels. This gave greater scope in operational procedures and applications with the then 'modern' design cargo vessels
A driving force with in the Company from the 1950's was Sir Reginald Reed who developed the stevedoring side of the business into the largest in Australia. From 1962 with the increasing rationalisation of the Australian coastal trade, they sold their last two vessels. The company continued to provide ship agency services but also added to its operations shipwrighting services, line haul trucking and travel services.

Since the 1980's a string of mergers, joint business ventures and takeovers saw involvements with Howard Smith Ltd, ANL, Strang Stevedoring, Holyman Ltd, Mayne Nickless, TDG Logistics Ltd, CSX World Terminals, Toll Holdings Ltd, Virgin Blue, Brambles, Alpens Transport, and Ansett Ground Services Division
While some of those names were previously involved in Australian Shipping, none of the joint interests or takeovers saw any new shipowning by Patricks, where transport logistics and port setevdoring were the main embodiment of Company holdings.
August 2005 saw a hostile takeover of Patrick Holdings by Toll Holdings Ltd with success achieved 2006. From this juncture Patricks name ceased to exist whilst Toll Holdings divided operations into two listed entities on the ASX as Toll and Asciano

This webpage is dedicated to the Ships of the fleet, all those who sailed in them, their combined contribution to Australia and of course, the Master mariner Captain James Patrick and his vision.
Both Holymans and Howard Smith were founded by Master Mariners. Former Ship Captains where their resultant Company's evolved into great diversity of business holdings and product services




Ed Ed
FUNNEL HOUSE FLAG


Chronologically Listed - Year - Time-frame


1919
TIMARU
1883-1922
459 gross tons. Lbd: 150' x 27' x 10'6". Iron steamship, compound engine of 70 horsepower, three masts as built by R Thompson, Southwick Sunderland, England for Timaru Steamship Co, New Zealand. Several 'unknown' owners since and eventually of the obscure New South Wales concern known as Brisbane & Clarence Rivers S N Co. May 1919 sold to Patrick Steamship Co Ltd. Used Tasmanian ports - Melbourne - Brisbane until sold to the North Coast S N Co., Sydney July 1922. Sold December 1922 to Adelaide interests and hulked January 1923


1920
SEALARK 111 / NORWEST
1879-1926
ON: 1080262. 560 gross tons. Yacht built by R Steele, Cartsburn as the Wanderer for C J Lambert, Cowes. Launched 12 December 1878 completed 1879. Of composite construction, iron and wood complete with a compound engine, single screw, rated knots unknown. Lb: 56.5 x 8.9 metres. Registered with the Royal Yacht Squadron she was known as RYS Wanderer and based at Cowes, Isle of Wight. As arguably the most luxurious private yacht purpose built in that era, to wit designed for the lavish comfort of one family and supplimented with a crew of fifty, she completed several world voyages. 1889 sold to Prince de Torlonia and renamed Vagus. 1900 renamed Consuelo when purchased by the American millionaire William Kissam Vanderbilt. 1903, she was purchased by the Royal Navy and initially commissioned as HMS Investigator. 1904 after refitting as a survey vessel, at a cost of £20,000 she was renamed HMS Sea Lark and sailed from Portsmouth in September 1904 to serve with the China Station. In 1910, she sailed from Penang for the Australia Station. She undertook various hydrographic survey work around Australia and the South Pacific between 1910 and 1914. As known between 1910 -14 undertook survey work in the Torres Strait and Solomon Islands. At the outbreak of World War I, and the threat of German Empire expansion in the South Pacific, she sailed to Suva, Fiji with a cargo of coastal guns, for a gun emplacement on a hill in Suva. Upon her return to Sydney from Fiji via New Zealand, she was paid off in 1914
1919-20 purchased by Captain J. H. Patrick for £2500 and converted into a merchant ship at a cost of £15,000 and either continued with name as Sea Lark or renamed as Sealark 111. Worked the Sydney - Brisbane trade. 1921 under the agency of Nixon-Smith & Bellgrove worked the Townsville trade. By loading up with Blair Athol coal at Broad Sound, Mackay, she was able to make a shorter economical run closer to the coast and enabled her (and Owners) to undercut the 'Railway Business' cargo that was held by the more established firm of AUSN Co. When Nixon-Smith & Bellgrove chartered the purpose built collier 'Beulah' that had twice the cargo capacity of the Sealark 111, she then went back to the Sydney - Brisbane trade. 1923 renamed by J Patrick as Norwest. 1924 she was seized by the English, Scottish and Australian Bank to repay debts owed. After James Patrick Steamships Ltd failed, she was sold by that bank to William Waugh Ltd., Balmain, Sydney for about £500 where she was dismantled and converted into a hulk. Deleted from Register 1926
Left image Artist's rendition as Wanderer, right image as HMS Sealark


SHARE CERTIFICATE
   1920

   


1920
INDUNA
1891-1932
703 gross tons, 429 net. Lbd: 190'4" x 28'5" x 11'2". Steel steamship built by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen. Triple expansion engine producing 98 horsepower. Built as a passenger-cargo vessel for J Rennie & Co., Aberdeen. 1904 sold to Henry Edwin Campbell, London, with tonnage reduction to 699 gross. 1904 sold to Burns, Philip & Co., Sydney, Australia, who placed her on their Lord Howe Island and Norfolk Island run. 1905 until 1916 placed upon the Gilbert, Marshall and Caroline Islands' run as well as the New Hebrides. 1920 sold to the Patrick Steamship Co., Sydney. Declared tonnage reduction to 678 gross. 1925 sold to the Railway Commissioners for New South Wales, Sydney and converted into a train-ferry. 1932 laid up and sold for use as a wharf at Grafton, 1957 remains cut up as scrap. Historical note: Winston Churchill travelled this ship after his escape from the Boers at the time when she was employed on the South African coastal route
INDUNA image courtesy State Library Victoria

PATRICKS LETTER
   1924
Sailing schedule
MAWATTA


MAWATTA
1904-45
1,086 gross tons, 539 net. Lbd: 210'6" x 32'7" x 14'6". (64.2 x 10 metres) on: 139034. Steel steamship cargo only, built by Fred Krupp A G., Germania-Werft, Kiel Germany as the Germania for J Jaluit Gesellschaft AG, Hamburg. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 10 knots 158 nhp. She worked the German owned and controlled South Pacific islands and ports as well as running Hong Kong - Australia - Marshall Islands in a passenger-cargo capacity. Being dockside Sydney at the outbreak of hostilities, she was taken as a war prize Australian Government August 1914. Renamed Mawatta and leased to Burns Philp from February 1915 until June 1920. Handed back to Australian Government who chartered her 1920 to James R Patrick, who then purchased the vessel 1924 as Patrick Steamships Ltd. Transferred to James Patrick & Co Ltd in August 1925. Rebuilt 1926 Cockatoo Island Dockyards Sydney, new midships added. Sold July 1928 to Noumea interests. Sold 1937 to Mollers Towages of Shanghai, converted into a salvage ship and renamed Elsie Moller. Captured 1941 by japanese navy renamed Esashi Maru. Sank 29 March 1945, raised and written off
MAWATTA image courtesy State Library Victoria
1921
GABO
1883-1925
2,060 gross tons, 1,246 net. Lbd: 279'7" x 38'4" x 20' Steel steamship built by J Key & Sons, Kinghorn, Scotland. Passenger cargo vessel fitted with compounded engine = 300hp and rated at 11 knots. Serviced Melbourne - Queensland trade, latter years saw her work most coastal runs for W H Smith & Sons Ltd including name change in 1913 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. December 1917 sold to W J Lumb Liu (China-Australia Mail S S Co) and registered at Hong Kong at the later date of November 1920. May 1921 owned by The Patrick Steamship Co Ltd, registered Sydney and employed as cargo only vessel. Later of the new Company, after liquidation and reformation, namely Patrick Steamship Co Pty Ltd. Hulked 1925. Scuttled 18 miles off Sydney Heads, November 30, 1933
GABO image postcard in issue
LADY ISOBEL
1921-62
1453 gross tons. Lb: 73.7 x 11.3 metres. IDNo: 1144246 Steamship, cargo only as built by Jonker Bros, Kinderdijk and completed March 1921 as the Kampen for Olsen Bros. Lb: 73.7 x 11.3 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 8.5 knots. 1921 owned by Nobel's Explosives and renamed Glenora. Same year Company name changed to Nobel Industries with this ship renamed Millewa. Yet again 1921 renamed Lady Isobel and ownership linked to Patrick Steamship Co although high possiblity of being chartered. 1955 renamed Manly Breeze when owned by J Manners & Co, Hong Kong. Later that year renamed San Carlos and either owned or managed by J Manners & Co. 1957 owned by 'Lanena' and renamed Lian Hin. Scrapped at Hong Kong 4th quarter of 1962
LADY ISOBEL image courtesy State Library Victoria

1922
DURANBAH
1905-43
84 gross tons. Lbd: 130' x 23'1" x 9'2". Steel steamship 37 horsepower 7 knots as built by Scotts of Kinghorn, England for G W Nicoll. Sold on arrival in Australia as delayed part of total takeover to North Coast Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. 1919 stranded for 3 days off Point Danger Tweed Heads. Refloated and since, that section of beach is known as Duranbah Beach. Acquired by Patrick Steamship Co. Ltd in 1922 Sold to W.R. Carpenter Co in 1925. Fitted with oil engines and placed upon their Pacific Islands route. Believed captured by the Japanese in WW2. Fate unknown. Another source states scrapped 1930s
DURANBAH image (LS-LSP-CD079-IMG0036-MR & ashore off Point Danger 1919) courtesy Gold Coast City Library

1923
EUGOWRA
1922-64
3,345 gross tons, 1,909 net, 6,170 dwt. Lbd: 331' x 47'9" x 26'1". (100.9 x 14.6 metres). Steel single screw steamship built Poole & Steel, Port Adelaide for Australian Government's Commonwealth Government line. Triple expansion three cylinder engine built by the shipbuilder. 516 nhp, service speed 10 knots. Crew: 46. Originally laid down as the Erina on the stocks for Australian Government's Commonwealth Line of Steamers, but launched and completed as Eugowra when commissioned 13th June 1923. Was chartered out to James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., who employed her on some voyages carrying BHP cargoes. Sold 1925 to Broken Hill Pty Co (BHP) Australia and renamed Iron Warrior. 1957 sold to V B Bendix and renamed Zeus. 1963-64 sold to Lee Shek Tung and renamed Dorar. Wrecked E Chau Island, Hong Kong 5th September 1964
EUGOWRA image (b41399) courtesy State Library New South Wales

1924
POOLTA
1926-61
1,675 gross tons. (73.3 x 12.5 metres) on151547. Launched as the Graaf Jan for Oranje Nassau. Burgerhout's Mach. & Scheeps. Naamlooze Vennootschap, Rotterdam. Sold on the stocks to Tasmanian Government, Hobart and named Poolta. Intended for Sydney - North-West Tasmania service and was notoriously slow. In 1924 placed under the management of Patrick Steamship Co, which soon after went into liquidation and the vessel sold in 1925 to the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand, name retained. Laid up in Wellington in 1950. Sold to Mrs E J Chandris, Piraeus in 1952, renamed Despo Chandris. Sold to Emin Sadikoglu, Istanbul in 1953, renamed Arif. Broken up Istanbul in 1961
POOLTA image (a639180r) courtesy State Library New South Wales

1926
INGA
1904-45
948 gross tons. Lb: 65.6 x 9.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Vuijk at Capelle a/d Ijssel Holland for A/S D/S Inga (Meier), Kristiania, Norway. Triple expansion engine. Chartered 1907 then purchased by J J Craig and his Australian business partner, R Lamb in May of 1910. They operated her through the Inga Steamship Company Pty Ltd of Sydney. 1926 sold, after 155 round voyages in intercolonial trade, to James Patrick and Co, Sydney, who employed her in the Melbourne trade. December 1927 sold to W R Carpenter & Co, Limited who used her largely in Pacific Islands trade. 1930 sold to Madrigal & Company of Manila, renaming her Cetus. December 1941 scuttled in the Philippine Islands. Raised by the Japanese who renamed her Hokuhi Maru. Sunk in an air attack in Formosa Strait 2 March 1945
INGA image (a637801r) courtesy State Library New South Wales


1927
CARDROSS (1)
1927-55
1,385 gross tons. Lb: 69.2 x 10.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel as built by John Lewis at Aberdeen for J Patrick Ltd and named Cardross. Of triple expansion engine making 9 knots. Schedule as known December 1933, departed melbourne 8th December 1933 bound for Brisbane (18th December 1933) via Sydney and Newcastle. Sold to J. Burke Ltd., Brisbane 1935 and renamed Bidelia. Under this name operated along the Queensland coast from 1935-1955. 1955 sold to Madrigal Shipping Co., and renamed Juno. Went missing - last radioed 18.20N/118.44E 10.10.64, for Brunei
CARDROSS (1) image as bidelia (303001) courtesy Australian War Memorial


CORRIMAL
1911-69
1,140 gross tons, 682 net. Lbd 239'0" x 34'8" x 15'5". General cargo steamship built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Grangemouth for G S Yuill & Co Ltd Australia. 1926 sold to White Steamship Co Ltd Australia. July 1927 sold to Hammond & Co Australia. November 1927 sold to James Patrick & Co Ltd., Australia. Schedule as known December 1933, arrived Melbourne 11th December 1933 bound from Brisbane. Departed 15th December 1933 for Sydney, Newcastle and Brisbane. Early 1935 chartered to John Burke & Co Ltd, Brisbane until the delivery of the Cardross and sold when that ship was delivered mid 1935. November 1942 Requisitioned by Australian Government and purchased December 1944 with James Patrick as managers since November 1942. December 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. Laid up during 1949. Sold 1950 to Bitumen & Oil Refineries (Australia) Ltd., remained laid up. 1951 sold to R W Miller and Co., Australia, converted into a collier and renamed Ayrfield. sold for demolition 1969
Image as AYRFIELD courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia

1930
KINDUR
1928-56
1,288 gross tons. Lbd: 230' x 38' x 151'3". Built Ayrshire Dockyard, Scotland. Owned by the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. Between 1929 and 1931 was chartered to AUSN Co but specificially during 1930 was chartered out to J Patrick & Co (Patrick Steamships) and placed on the Sydney - Brisbane run. Purchased by R W Miller and Co in July 1956. Quickly sold in September 1956 to be broken up
KINDUR Image courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
NORTHERN FIRTH
1921-32
1931 gross tons. Lb: 85.4 x 12.8 metres. IDNo: 1145599. Steel steamship built by Grangemouth DY, Grangemouth as the Willowpark for J & J Denholm. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 9.5 knots. Renamed Northern Firth when owned by G T Gillie & Co (North British Shipping Co, Glasgow) in 1930. Chartered September 1930 and placed upon the Sydney - Brisbane run. 21 February 1932 at 3.30 pm when bound from Melbourne to Sydney she was wrecked upon Brush Island, 15nm South of Ulladulla New South Wales. She initally struck an unknown submerged object which smashed her rudder and propellor. With no steering she drifted onto the rocks off Brush Island, within 2 miles of the coast and 15 miles South of Ulladulla. Once upon the rocks water entered the engine room thus disabling all power and an ensuing North-Easterly wind of considerable strength blew her further onto the rocks where she sank in 10 metres of water. Her crew of 30 landed safely. Within days heavy seas broke the vessel completely leaving her cargo as a hazard in the shipping lane
NORTHERN FIRTH Image (0_177788) courtesy State Library of Victoria

1932
CRAIGEND
1905-37
948 tons. Lbd: 275'1" x 36' x 19'3" (83.8 x 11 metres). Steel steamship, Passenger/cargo built by Grangemouth & Greenock Dockyard Co., Grangemouth as the Samuel Hough for R G Hough. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 10 knots. Acquired 1913 by Burns Philp & Co Ltd., renamed Marsina. Sold February 1932 to James Patrick & Co., Sydney and renamed Craigend in replacing their wrecked steamship Northern Firth. Typical schedule - 11 December 1933 departed Nixon-Smith's Wharf Brisbane bound for Newcastle, Sydney, and Melbourne. Sold February 1937 to Z F Yih, a Chinese National and renamed Hai Ping. She foundered on her delivery voyage off Double Island Point Queensland, March 15th 1937
CRAIGEND Image as MARSINA courtesy State Library of Victoria

1934
CARLISLE
1919-62
1,876 gross tons. Lb: 290' 42'5". Cargo vessel as built and completed November 1919 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend on Tyne and Sunderland as the Merganser for Cork Steam Ship Co, Cork. Originally laid down under orders of Shipping Controller Britain. 1922 owned by British & Continental Steam Ship Co, Liverpool; 1934 renamed Carlisle when purchased by James Patrick & Co, Sydney. Sold 1956 to Cambay Prince SS Co (John Manners & Co), Hong Kong and renamed Tweed Breeze. Sold 1961 to San Jeronimo SS Co, Panama and renamed San Jeronimo. 1962 scrapped Hong Kong
CARLISLE Image courtesy State Library of Victoria

1935
CARDROSS (11)
1919-40
1,896 gross tons. Lb: 290' x 42'5". Built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend on Tyne and Sunderland as the Kittiwake of Cork Steam Ship Co, Cork. Originally laid down under orders of Shipping Controller Britain. 1922 British & Continental Steam Ship Co, Liverpool. Purchased 1935 renamed Cardross. Sank after collision with the steamship Fiona about 30 kms north-east of Port Jackson, Sydney 15 December 1940
CARDROSS (11) Image as KITTIWAKE personal collection

1936
CARADALE
1921-58
1881 tons. Steamship, cargo only built by Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson at Low Walker on Tyne as Lestris for Cork Steamship Co. Lb: 88.4 x 13 metres.
Single screw triple expansion engine. 11.5 knots. Purchased by Patrick Steamship Co Pty Ltd 1936, renamed and, replaced the Craigend on the Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, and Melbourne run. 29 January 1937 at 11 pm when outbound from Melbourne she was in a collision with the Union Steam Ship vessel Kakariki just off the Gellibrand Light in Hobsons Bay. the Kakariki sank within 2 minutes as her starboard bow was smashed in leaving the No 1 hold open to the sea. Tragically 5 lives were lost aboard her. Caradale herself was heavily damaged with her bow plates severely fractured and 6 metres of water at her forepeak. After picking up the 21 survivors from the Kakariki she was able to steam back to Melbourne. A board of Inquiry found the Skipper of the Kakariki to blame, in making in incorrect course alteration just before the collision. Repairs to the Caradale no doubt carried out at Melbourne, which dry dock is not known. (there were a few then). Was struck by a torpedo off the New South Wales coast on 12 May 1943, however no explosion and she serviced until 1958. Early 1959 scrapped at Hong Kong
Left Image personal collection, right image as restored - courtesy 'Gordy'

1941
CARDROSS (111)
1919-54

2,515 gross tons. Lb: 92.4 x 13.1 metres. Cargo steamship. Built by Hill & Sons, Bristol under orders of the Shipping Controller, England. Purchased on the stocks by the Australasian United SN Co Ltd, Sydney in 1919 and named Mackarra. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11.5 knots.
Purchased 1941 by J Patrick & Co Pty Ltd and renamed Cardross. 1954 renamed Ardross after sale to Osaka shipbreakers and departed Australian shores under that name. Demolition began September 1954
Both CARDROSS (111) Images courtesy 'Gordy' as restored

1946
CULCAIRN
1930-66
Built by Scots Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Greenock as the Anshun for the China Navigation Co., (Swires). August 1939 requisitioned by Royal Navy. June 1940 handed back to owners. 10 December 1941 damaged by Japanese aircraft in Manila Bay. March 1942 escaped from Java to Australia where she was commandeered by the Royal Australian Navy as Stores Issuing Ship renamed Y-1. 6 September 1942 sank on starboard side alongside wharf at Milne Bay SE tip of New Guinea after shelling by Japanese Cruiser while discharging. June 1944 salvaged and towed to Sydney. 1 November 1946 hulk purchased by James Patrick and Co Ltd, Melbourne and completely refitted. 3188 gross tons. Lb: 103.1 x 15.3 metres. Single screw, diesel engine making 12 knots. August 1948 entered service as Culcairn. 1 May 1962 sold to Pan Norse SS Company. S.A. 1964 renamed Lombok. Destroyed by fire at Surabaya 7 January 1966 Scrapping of remains at Hong Kong commenced 9 May 1966
Image courtesy State Library of Victoria
DAYLESFORD
1946-72
2,351 gross tons. 1,124 net. Lbd: 291"4" X 46'4" X 19'0". General cargo steamship built by BHP Shipyard, Whyalla for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd., as appointed managers. Transferred October 1947 to the Australian Shipping Board. Early 1955 converted to burn oil. 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. 1960 sold to Fung Shing Nav Co Ltd., Panama and renamed Asia Star. 1969 renamed Asia Life. Later, exact date unknown, renamed Lady Grace. 1971 sold to China interests for demolition and scrapped 1972
Image courtesy State Library of Victoria
RIVER NORMAN
1946-62
6,458 gross tons. 3,782 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built Evans Deakin & Co Ltd., Brisbane for the Australian Government with James Patrick & Co. Pty Ltd appointed managers. October 1947 transferred to the Australian Shipping Board (ASB) and transferred February 1957 to the Australian National Line. 1959 sold to Wallem & Co Hong Kong renamed Tung Feng. September 1962 she was driven ashore on Green Island Hong Kong by Typhoon `Wanda`. The vessel was refloated in October 1962 but declared a total loss and scrapped that year
Image courtesy Matterson Marine

1954
CARDROSS (1V)
1948-77
2298 gross tons, 3420 dwt. Steamship, cargo only as built by W Gray at West Hartlepool England as the Virginia for Rederi A/B Virginia (O.M.Thore), Jonstorp, Sweden. Lb: 102.3 x 14.3 metres. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 12 knots. Purchased 1954 by James Patrick & Co Pty Ltd, Sydney and renamed. 1962 owned by Cronulla Shipping Co Ltd, British flag and registered Hong Kong. Name retained. 1967 owned by Wallem & Co Ltd, British flag and registered Hong Kong. Name retained. 1969 owned by Kian Hin Leong Enterprises Ltd, British flag and registered Hong Kong. Name retained. 1973 registered at Mogidishu flying Somalian flag. Broken up at Foochow 1977
CARDROSS (1V) Image personal collection



TOP of PAGE HOME!


2012 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved