A to Z
quick link

Andania
chartered 1898

Ashridge-1905
Asphodel
chartered 1898

Cloncurry-1884
Cooeyanna-1902
Coolgardie1896
Eddystone-1892
Egremont Castle
chartered 1898

Federal-1890
Flinders-1893-4
Hetton Bank-1934
Hexham Bank-1953
Kalgoorlie-1897
Kanimbla-1936
Karoola-1909
Katoomba-1913
Kerangie
Komura-1905
Kooliga-1928
Kooliga-1958
Koolonga-1914
Koolonga-1918
Koomilya-1929
Koomilya-1961
Koonda-1912
Kooralya-1946
Koorawatha-1948
Kooringa-1902
Kooringa-1938
Kooringa-1964
Kooyong-1907
Kooyong-1958
Mortlake Bank-1937
Muriel-1883
New Guinea-1884
Norkoowra-1885
Pelton Bank-1937
Polly-1879
River Loddon
managed 1944

Scottish Hero-1895
Strathleven-
Chartered 1879
Tagliaferro-1885
Taldora-1881
Taramung
Tenterden-
Chartered 1893
Wanganella-1961
Watamurra-1961
Woomera-1961


FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


McILWRAITH McEACHARN Ltd
Melbourne


Ed

FOUNDED 1875
Andrew McIlwraith came from the port of Ayr, Scotland and after making frequent visits to Australia, satisfied with Company progress, returned to England 1885 to conduct the London end of the business
Malcolm Donald MacEacharn settled in Melbourne Australia from Islay, Scotland and took many offices including parliament.
The firm of McIlwraith MacEacharn was originally founded in London on February 1st 1875 by Andrew McIlwraith and Malcolm MacEacharn when they began business as shipping and insurance agents. A year later they entered the ranks of ship owners following an agreement with the State of Queensland for the carriage of migrants from Britain to Queensland ports north of Maryborough. Their first vessels, eleven in all, were sail only, when they were also known as the 'Scottish Line'. In 1879, they chartered, the steamship Strathleven. Fitted with experimental refrigeration device aboard, she departed London and, on the return passage from Australia a shipment of 30 tons of frozen beef plus 2 tons of butter were carried. This cargo was found to be in excellent condition upon arrival on the 2nd October 1880
With the expansion of the company's interests in Australia Malcolm MacEacharn had settled in Melbourne about the time that a branch was opened and during his years in this country he took a leading part in public affairs, becoming a Commissioner of the Melbourne Harbour Trust in 1893 and in the same year was returned as a member of the Melbourne City Council ultimately becoming the city's second Lord Mayor. He was also Vice Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce and Consul-General for Japan. In 1900 he was knighted and in 1901 elected to represent Melbourne in the first federal parliament. Four years later Sir Malcolm returned to Scotland and died in 1910 at the age of 58. His business partner Andrew McIlwraith outlived him by many years dying in 1932 in his 90th year
Early years saw their business partnership with other concerns in the Queensland Steam Ship Co that untimately merged with (took over) the Australasian Steam Navigation Co in 1887, becoming the Australasian Steam Navigation Co., Sydney.
Retaining a healthy share in that entity, they were virtually the only Australian connection left with any ownership
Latter years saw them active along most ports of call in and around Australia, surviving two world wars and stepping grand scale into purpose built passenger liners of world standard
The innovation of 'containerisation' as cellular cargo also saw them involved before and since, in 1964 in their business combine as Associated Steamship Pty Ltd (see text below)
1961 saw this company buy out the Huddart Parker Line

On 1st January 1964 Adelaide Steamship Co's interstate fleet was merged with that of McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd in a new company, Associated Steamships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship Co held a 40%. Bulkships Ltd in which Adelaide Steamship held a 40% interest in 1965, acquired all the shares in Associated Steamship Ltd in 1968. This effectively ended McIlwraith McEacharn as a named entity completely. In 1977 Adelaide Steamship Company's interest in Bulkships was disposed of, and Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd also ceased its connection with ship owning and operating.

Included here are vessels owned by J. McIlwraith & Co., Melbourne A McIlwraith and M McEacharn prior to the formation of this major shipping concern




Ed
FUNNEL



Ed Ed
KERANGIE
1878-79
TARAMUNG
1880-91
TARAMUNG (a23960) image courtesy State Library Victoria
KERANGIE 1035 gross tons. Lb: 252'1" x 33'5". (76.8 x 10.2 metres) Iron cargo steamship built by London & Glasgow Shipbuilding & Enfineering Co, Govan Glasgow for J McIlwraith & Co., Melbourne. Single screw. Compounded engine. Wrecked Cape Everard, Victoria 7 February 1879
TARAMUNG 1,281 gross, 814 net tons. #79517. Lbd: 246'5" x 33'6" x 16'5". Iron screw steamship, Built by Russell at Cartsdyke, Glasgow, Scotland, 1880 for Carson & McIlwraith, Melbourne and registered Melbourne. Later 1880 of James Paterson & Co. On her usual run from Newcastle to Melbourne, disappeared near Twofold Bay, southern New South Wales, 31 May 1891. Twenty-three lives lost. She was last sighted off the southern New South Wales coast on May 31, but failed to pass Gabo Island. Lost in or near Wreck Bay. Several days later wreckage from her washed ashore


Vessels listed as acquired chronologically


Ed Ed Ed
POLLY
1879-89
TALDORA
1881-1914
MURIEL
1881-1931
TALDORA image personal collection
POLLY 194 gross tons. Lbd: 120' x 20'7" x 8'5". Iron steamship built by Campbelltown Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow for Andrew McIlwraith. Became McIlwraith McEacharn's contribution to the Queensland Steam Ship Co., London. Of AUSN Co., Sydney April 1887. 17th November 1889 wrecked in Johnstone River North Queensland
TALDORA 232 gross tons, 126 net. Lbd: 130'6" x 23'2" x 8'8". Iron steamship limited passenger capacity/cargo vessel built by Campbelltown Shipbuilding co., Campbelltown for McIlwraith McEacharn ( another source states built for Parbury, Lamb & Co). 1882 acquired by Queensland Steam Shipping Co. Of AUSN April 1887. Sold December 1913 to W R Black & Co., and converted into a lighter 1914. W R Black & Co subsequently bought out by AUSN Co and came under their ownership as a lighter. Abandoned/sank Brisbane river, possibly Aquarius Stream in 1932
MURIEL 108 gross tons. Lbd: 91'5" x 18'4" x 7'3". Steamship built by Hodgson & Soulsby, Cowpen Bay, Blyth for owners in Colchester, England. Service speed of 6 knots. Acquired by McIlwraith McEacharn circa 1883. August 1889 Registered Melbourne for Charles Douglas & Partners. December 1890 W Cowper & Partners. August 1894 Adelaide Steamship Co. Engaged in Queensland port trades, as likely a tender to the larger vessels where practible. Sold 1926 to Hayles Magnetic Island pty Ltd., Queensland and register officially closed 1931 after she had been stripped and beached at Townsville


Ed Ed Ed
NEW GUINEA
1884-1911
CLONCURRY
1884-1911
NEW GUINEA & CLONCURRY images courtesy State Library Victoria
NEW GUINEA 2,674 gross tons, 1,700 net. Iron hulled single screw steamship of 300' x 40'1" x 24'5". Built by W Doxford & Sons, Sunderland predominantly as a cargo vessel for McIlwraith McEacharn & Co Ltd, London. (Sistership Cloncurry) 1885 - 1889 chartered to British India S.N. Co., London. Returning to original owners, she was employed on the Melbourne - West Australian run during the 'goldrush' era early 1890 onwards and carried passengers bound for the goldfields. Ship's registry transferred to Melbourne 1893. 11909 under charter to Burns Philp & Co, Sydney, details unknown. 1910 reverted to original owners. Was on a voyage from Melbourne to Sydney, whilst under charter to Huddart-Parker & Co., Melbourne when she foundered and was wrecked in Disaster Bay, off Green Cape New South Wales, 13th February 1911
CLONCURRY 2,579 gross tons, 1,639 net. Lbd: 300' x 40' x 24'4". Iron steamship built by W Doxford & Sons, Pallion Sunderland for this concern and registered London. Compounded engine = 260hp. (Sistership New Guinea) 1885 - 1888 chartered to British India S.N. Co., London. (3rd January 1890 sunk in collision with the steamship Maplebranch in Suez Bay. Refloated, repaired) May 1892 commenced a service to Noumea transporting live cattle from Gladstone, Queensland, making regular voyages until December that year. Registration transferred to Melbourne 1893. She had limited passenger capacity as steerage and worked the West Australian service from Melbourne, up to 1897 as known, in capacity of 'goldfield' passengers and supplying coal for the Government railways under contract. July 1898 chartered to Adelaide Steamship Co. and chartered again from mid 1899. History unknown since until 1904 when sold to Itaya GK, Japan and renamed Yoneyama Maru. Wrecked at Kinkazan, Japan 12 January 1911


Ed Ed Ed Ed
NORKOOWA
1885-1912
TAGLIAFERRO
1882-1911
FEDERAL
1890-1901
EDDYSTONE
1886-94
NORKOOWA, TAGLIAFERRO FEDERAL & EDDYSTONE images courtesy of State Library Victoria
NORKOOWA 1,643 gross tons. Passenger-cargo vessel built by Edwards & Sons at Howden for Carson & McIlwraith, Melbourne. Single screw, triple expansion engine. 1902 - 1906 under charter from McIlwraith McEachearn. 1892-1898 served the east - west trade, as Melbourne - West Australia. Broken up at Bombay 1912
TAGLIAFERRO 1,598 gross tons, 1,036 net. Lbd: 260' x 35'2" x 20'5". Iron steamship built by Shlesinger, Davis & Co., Wallsend on Tyne. Compound Steam engine 150hp. Passenger-cargo vessel built for the Trading Steam Ship Co Ltd., London (Harrison & Wood). Registered Melbourne December 1885 to J McIlwraith. Then September 1890 to M D McEacharn and of McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd., in December 1891. Mostly worked the West Australian coast, particularly when the goldrush boom saw many passengers. Sold to M Ikeda Japan September 1906. As the Kyushu Maru wrecked 24th October 1911 at Rokkasho, Mutsu
FEDERAL 2,403 gross tons. Lbd 290' x 40' x 19'6". (88.4 x 12.2 metres). Iron steamship built by Doxford, Pallion Sunderland for McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co Ltd, Melbourne. Cargo only, triple expansion engine Was chartered to Adelaide Steamship Co in July 1898. Foundered between Rams Head, Gabo Island and Point Hicks on Ninety Mile beach, about March 21st 1901 with a loss of all hands. Was bound from Port Kembla - Albany, with cargo of coal
EDDYSTONE 2,040 gross tons, 1,313 net. Lbd: 275' x 36' x 20' Iron single screw steamship built by M Pearse & Co., Stockton. Compounded engine producing 200 horsepower and coal fired boilers = 160psi. Recorded as owned by Farrar, Groves & Co, registered London. 1892 owned by McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co, Melbourne and placed upon the West Australian run (Melbourne to Fremantle), carrying passenger and cargo. Later placed upon the Fremantle - North west coastal run until wrecked near Cossack, off Depuch Island Western Australia September 8th 1894. No lives lost


Ed
FLINDERS
1878-1911
image courtesy State Library Victoria
FLINDERS 948 gross tons, 499 net. Lbd: 227'1" x 28'3" x 20'1". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow for Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart. Compounded engine producing 200 horsepower. As a passenger vessel, was designed for the various Tasmania - mainland routes undertaken by that company. May 1891 taken over by Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. February 1894 sold to McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd., Melbourne after being chartered from 1893, and placed upon the Western Australian 'Goldfields' run. Visited mostly Albany with passengers only, and returning at times via the western coastal ports of Victoria, which she ultimately traded out of once the goldrush traffic phased itself out. November 1896 owned by J McIlwraith Snr. July 1907 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co and placed upon their South Australian coastal trades. 1911 caught fire resulting in irrepairable damage and hulked. Sold 1927 and totally stripped, finally abandoned on the North Arm, Port Adelaide


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
SCOTTISH HERO
1895-1917
COOLGARDIE
1881-1922
KALGOORLIE
1880-1933
COOLGARDIE 2nd image courtesy State Library New South Wales
1st KALGOORLIE image courtesy State Library Victoria
KALGOORLIE sepia image courtesy State Library New South Wales
SCOTTISH HERO 2202 gross tons. Lb: 90.5 x 12.2 metres. Steel (turret) hull, single screw steamship built by Doxford, Pallion as a cargo vessel for Scottish Line Ltd (McIlwraith, McEacharn), London. Quadruple expansion engine. Serviced the West Australian coast. Sunk by gunfire from submarine 46.59N/18.12W 10th June 1917. Note: A wooden Barque of this name for this concern traded from 1876 until 1903 when sold, renamed Saturnus and abandoned in the North Atlantic 12th October 1915
COOLGARDIE 2,542 gross tons, 1,653 net. Lbd: 329'1" x 38'3" x 26'. Iron steamship built as a passenger-cargo vessel by R Dixon & Co., Middlesborough England as the Bothwell Castle for the Castle Steam Ship Co. (T Skinner, London). Compounded engine producing 304 horsepower. Acquired by this concern 1896 yet renamed much later, in May 1899. Serviced the West Australian run from the eastern seaboard ports of Australia. 1913 December sold to C Crosby & Partners. 1916 W J Wardle. 1920 Eastern Shipping Agents Ltd. September 1922 to Italian interests for demolition at Genoa
KALGOORLIE 2,985 gross tons, 1,936 net. Lbd: 360'4" x 43'3" x 24'5". Iron steamship built as a passenger-cargo vessel by Glasgow & London Shipbuilding Co Ltd, Glasgow. Named Glenfruin for McGregor Gow & Co, Glasgow. Propulsion: Compounded 2 cylinder engine making 530nhp. In 1891 a triple expansion 3 cylinder engine installed by Wallsend Slipway & Engineering. Was trading to China early 1897 when acquired by Andrew McIlwraith and registered London. June 1897 renamed Kalgoorlie when owned by by McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne and placed upon the West Australian trade from Melbourne carrying passengers and cargo. After useful service, laid up in 1910 until November 1912 when sold to Singapore interests (McAllister & Co), and converted into a hulk. 1916 engine (triple expansion unit) and boilers from another wreck were fitted, tonnage increased to 3,081 gross, and she resumed life as the Hong Hwa, registered Singapore for the Ho Hong Steamship Co., Singapore, trading in Asian waters. 1932 owned by Thomas Wilkinsin, Singapore. 1932 again owned by Ho Hong Steamship Co., Singapore. 1933 Midoni Shokai, Osaka. Scrapped Japan January 1934


Ed Ed Ed
COOEYANNA
1902-24
KOORINGA (1)
1902-38
ASHRIDGE
1905-48
COOEYANNA image courtesy State Library Victoria
ASHRIDGE image [302956] courtesy Australian War Memorial
COOEYANNA 3,922 gross tons, 2,496 net. Lbd: 375' x 47' x 17'6". Steel single screw steamship vessel built as passenger-cargo vessel by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co., Newcastle on Tyne for this concern. Triple expansion engine producing 458 horsepower. Designed for and placed upon the Australia - India service. Was purpose fitted for the transportation of 'Walers' a particular breed of horse specific to 'cavalry' and exported from New South Wales for the Indian Army. Also known for passenger services to Western Australia when working the Australian coast. 1913 Sold to British India S N Co. 1922 sold to D Pittaluga, Genoa and renamed Tasmania. Abandoned when in a sinking condition, and foundering in the Gulf of Genoa, January 1924
KOORINGA (1) 3,174 gross tons. Lb: 98.8 x 14.3 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Hamilton at Glen Yard for this concern. Triple expansion engine making 9 knots. 1911 from Bunbury Western Australia loaded timber for Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. (On one of these voyages Mid February 1911 John Simpson Kirkpatrick, aka Simpson-and-his-Donkey of Gallipoli fame) worked aboard as a crew member (messman then stoker). Simpson continued on with this ship and at May 1911 ran Melbourne Sydney and Newcastle with knowledge of the vessel resuming previous run between Port Kembla and Fremantle. October 1911 quote 'We have had a very bad passage to the West this time we have been 20 days instead of about 14 we have had two life boats washed away coming across the "Bite" (Great Australian Bight) and the second cook was washed oboard and drowned'. unquote 1912 serviced Geralton as known. 1912 serviced Port Kembla - Bunbury. Clearly this vessel virtually 'tramped' the Australian coastal ports. taking whatever cargoes were available as contracted. With the great depression and age factor, she was sol in 1931 to Chung Hsing Steamship Co and renamed Hsin Taiping. 1934 sold to Chung Wei Steamship Co and renamed Hsin Tai Ping. 1938 of the Japanese Goverment renamed Shin Taihei Maru. Wrecked Ohshima, 40nm WSW Yokohama 31st October 1938
ASHRIDGE 2,884 gross tons. Lb: 99.3 x 14.3 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Hamilton at Glen Yard for McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. Evacuated service personnel from Singapore and Java in 1942. Broken up at Calcutta August 1948


Ed Ed Ed
KOMURA
1905-38
left & centre images courtesy State Library New South Wales
rightside image courtesy State Library Victoria
KOMURA 2112 gross tons. Lb: 90.1 x 12.3 metres. Iron single screw (turret hull) steamship as built by Doxford at Pallion, Sunderland for McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Cargo ship, triple expansion engine. 10.5 knots. 1931 sold renamed Hwah Sung when purchased by Hwa Sung Steamship Co. Scuttled Upper Yangtse 1938


Ed Ed Ed
KOOYONG (1)
1907-48
KOONDA
1910-46
KOONDA
WW2
KOOYONG (1) & KOONDA 1st image courtesy State Library Victoria
KOONDA 2nd image courtesy Australian War Memorial
KOOYONG (1) 2,296 gross tons. Lb: 89.9 x 13.4 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Clyde Shipbuilding, Glasgow for this concern. Triple expansion engine service speed 10 knots. July 1928 commenced cargo services from Newcastle, New South Wales to West Australia. Requisitioned during WW2. Sold off 1946 to China Pah Dar Steamship Co and renamed Pah Dar. Scrapped China 1948
KOONDA 1,631 gross tons. Lb: 80.8 x 11 metres. Steel single screw steamship, cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 10 knots service speed. Built by Gray at West Hartlepool, Sunderland as the Hargrove for Harrison, Tidswell & Co, London. 1912 owned by McIlwraith McEacharn and renamed Koonda 1946 owned by United Corp of China and renamedChung Lien. Scrapping began August 1947


KAROOLA
Ed Ed Ed Ed
Hospital Ship 1909-1937 circa 1930
left image courtesy State Library Victoria
KAROOLA 1930 image courtesy State Library South Australia
KAROOLA 7,391 gross tons, 4,324 net. Lbd: 420'5" x 56'3" x 24'5". (128.2 x 17.2 metres) Steel twin screw steamship built for McIlwraith, McEacharn Co Pty Ltd. Melbourne by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast and was the largest (at the time) passenger liner on the Australian interstate trade. Twin quadruple expansion = 1140nhp. Became familiar with the Fremantle-west coast area until May 1915 when she was requisitioned as a troop transport carrier, and given A63 as identification. August she was converted into a hospital ship. At the cessation of hostilities, she returned to Australian shores and worked the East coast of Australia until laid up in Sydney 1936. Sold to Shanghai interests and scrapping began March 1937


KATOOMBA
1913-59
Ed Ed Ed Ed
Whitsunday Passage postcard postcard Smokers room
KATOOMBA all images postcards in circulation
KATOOMBA 9,414 gross tons, 5,499 net. Lbd: 450'4" x 60'3" x 34'2". Steel hulled triple screw passenger ship built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1913 for McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd of Melbourne. Twin triple expansion 4 cylinders, 6 coal fired boilers 215 psi. Single funnel, two masts, and a speed rating of 16 knots. Her first voyage started 2nd September 1913 when she sailed from Sydney to Melbourne, Adelaide, Albany then Fremantle. Requisitioned as a troopship in May 1918, given ID D610 for Imperial Transport Department and sent to New York via Panama with a view to transporting US troops to Europe. Returned April 1920 and refitted at Sydney . Continued passenger services including the Queensland and West Australian coastal services and some cruising between 1932-1939. February 1942 was again converted to a troopship. 4th August 1942 she was shelled by a submarine approx., 300 miles off Albany, Western Australia. Surviving this, she saw much service in her role as a transport vessel. Returned to her owners in 1946, she was sold to Goulandris Bros., of Greece in July of that year and registered in Panama. Operated by the Greek Line, she was converted to burn oil, and renamed Columbia in 1949. Transferred to the Bremen - Montreal sevice in June 1950. Made one voyage to Australia with migrants. Laid up at Piraeus in March 1958 and scrapped at Nagasaki in 1959


Ed Ed Ed Ed
KOOLONGA (1)
1914-44
KOOLONGA (11)
1918-36
KOOLIGA (1)
1928-53
KOOLONGA (1) [b42538] image courtesy State Library Victoria
KOOLIGA (1) 1st image courtesy Australian War Memorial
KOOLIGA (1) 2nd image courtesy of State Library Victoria
KOOLONGA (1) 4,260 gross tons, 2632 net. Lbd: 364' x 50'7" x 26'1" (110.9 x 15.5 metres). Steel single screw cargo ship built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., South Dock Sunderland as the Koolonga for McIlwraith, McEacharn Line Pty Ltd, Melbourne. Held triple expansion three cylinder engine manufactured by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co Ltd., Sunderland. 344 nominal horsepower. 6th August requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy as a collier. May 1915 returned to owners and occassionally empoyed on BHP cargo trades from South Australia - Newcastle New South Wales. October 1917 co-purchased by Scott Fell & Co., Newcastle New South Wales(11/64th shares) and BHP Ltd.,(Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd) via Sydney solicitor as nominee for BHP., Edward Simpson (53/64th shares). Renamed Iron Monarch and registered at Sydney. 1920 sold to Interstate Steamships Ltd (Scott Fell & Co) yet remained in registered ownership of Simpson and Fell. 1928 registered to Interstate Steamships Ltd.On July 7, 1933, vessel ran into breakwater at Port Kembla, NSW during 100 mph squall. Towed free by Newcastle tugs Rollicker and St. Giles. On Oct. 23, 1934, ran aground in dense fog at Cape Three Point, Broken Bay. Vessel quickly freed itself; damage £1,763; Captain T. J. Wilson, found guilty at inquiry of 'poor navigation', & had his licence suspended for 3 months. On Nov. 26, 1934, ran aground approaching Newcastle Steelworks (on 'Stockton rock breakwater') when loaded with 6,600 tons of iron ore from Whyalla, South Australia. Almost half the load had to be dumped; vessel seriously damaged; temporary repairs were effected; repaired at Cockatoo Dock, Sydney, NSW, at cost of £8,985. 1937 owners renamed as Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd. Sold in 1937 to Madrigal & Co., Philippines and renamed Paz. March 1942 scuttled at Sourabaya Harbour, later salvaged by Japanese forces and owned by the Government of Japan and renamed Hatsu Maru. Bombed by USA carrier based aircraft in Manila Bay, Philippines, on November 13, 1944 & sunk
KOOLONGA (11) 5,277 gross tons. Lb: 400' x 52'4". (122 x 16 metres), Designed as a steel single screw steamship, cargo only. November 1918 construction began as the War Aspen by Doxford at Pallion, Sunderland for the Ministry of Transport but completed as the Sutherland for Sutherland Steamship Co, (A M Sutherland) Newcastle, England. 1920 renamed Southmead, for Western Counties Shipping Co, London (E Edwards Sons & Co). 1921 renamed Koolonga, McIlwraith, McEacharn Co Pty Ltd., Melbourne. 1929 Caithness, B.J Sutherland Co, Newcastle UK. 1935 David Dawson, Jubilee S N Co, (F S Dawson) Newcastle, England. 1936 River Avon, Avon Steamship Co Ltd (M Whitwill & Son ) Bristol. 16th September 1936 wrecked Hudson Bay at 62.06N 80.18W
KOOLIGA (1) 2,495 gross tons. Lb: 90.2 x 13.5 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Caledon Shipbuilding, Dundee for this concern. Triple expansion engine with service speed of 10 knots. Owned by this concern from 1928-1953. July 1928 commenced cargo services from Newcastle, New South Wales to West Australia. Scrapping began at Shibaura on 2nd July 1953



Ed Ed Ed Ed
KOOMILYA (1)
1929-61
HETTON BANK
1924-62
MORTLAKE BANK
1924-68
PELTON BANK
1924-68
HETTON BANK image courtesy State Library Victoria
KOOMILYA (1) & MORTLAKE BANK images courtesy Australian War Memorial
PELTON BANK image courtesy R Priest at Nautical Association of Australia
KOOMILYA (1) 2,780 gross tons. Lb: 99.9 x 14.17 metres. Steel single screw steamship (cargo) built by Caledon Shipbuilding at Dundee for this concern. Triple-expansion, exhaust turbine, service speed 11.5 knots. 1958 Lengthened to be 107.5 metres overall and 3875 gross tons. 1955 sold to F Longobardo and renamed Rosapelagi. Broken up at Trieste 14th January 1961
HETTON BANK 1,375 gross tons. Lb: 71.7 x 11 metres. Steel single screw steamship cargo only as built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend, England as the Coralstone for Stelp & Leighton. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. 1934 of this concern and renamed Hetton Bank. 1961 sold to San Raimundo and renamed La Union. Broken up at Hong Kong early 1962
MORTLAKE BANK 1,375 gross tons. Lb: 71.7 x 11 metres. Steel single screw steamship cargo only as built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend, England as the Elfstone for Stelp & Leighton. Triple expansion engine. 9 knots. 1937 of this concern and renamed Mortlake Bank. Broken up at Sydney early 1970
PELTON BANK 1,375 gross tons. Lb: 71.7 x 11 metres. Steel single screw steamship cargo only as built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend, England as the Dewstone for Stelp & Leighton . Triple expansion engine making 9 knots. 1934 of this concern and renamed Pelton Bank. Broken up at Sydney early-mid 1968




KANIMBLA
1936-1974
Ed Ed Ed Ed
Postcard at Sydney Troop Carrier Postcard


Ed
Stan Stefaniak painting


Ed
Menu

KANIMBLA 10,985 gross tons, 6,585 net. Lbd: 468'8" x 66'3" x 30'2". Passenger ship 400 capacity. Steel hulled twin screw motorship built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast specifically for this concern. She rated 17 knots with twin diesels & 10,000 ihp. 1939 saw her commissioned into the Royal Navy and refitted as an armed merchant cruiser. She saw action in the Persian Gulf and was later transferred to the Royal Australian Navy in 1943. In the Southern Hemisphere war arena she was converted into an Infantry landing ship and took part in all major landings in the South-West Pacific. Post war she was retained by the Australian Government running to Japan for the Occupational Forces. She also completed one journey to England, returning with migrants. 1950 she resumed interstate passenger services and underwent a major refit in 1953 with a reduction in cargo space, while passenger berths were also reduced and re-arranged into two classes. Tonnage increased to 11,004 gross and 6,225 net. Was sold to Toyo Yusen K K line (as Pacific Transport Co., Monrovia) in January 1961 and renamed Oriental Queen. Eventually registered in Japan. She was sold for demolition 1973 and scrapped at Kaohsiung 1974


Ed
ORIENTAL QUEEN
ex Kanimbla


Ed Ed Ed Ed
KOORINGA (11)
1938-68
KOORALYA
1944-68
KOORAWATHA
1947-74
KOOYONG (11)
1958-80
KOORINGA (11) [b42976] & KOOYONG (1) image courtesy State Library Victoria
KOORAWATHA images personal collection
KOORALYA image as Fawkner Park unknown source
KOORINGA (11) 3,292 gross tons. Lb: 110.8 x 15.1 metres. Steel single screw steamship built at Caledon, Dundee for this concern. Cargo only. triple-expansion, exhaust turbine making 11 knots. 1959 sold to J Manners & Co and renamed Straits Breeze. 1965 under J Manners & Co renamed San Eduardo. 1965 sold to Teh Foo Navigation Co and renamed Teh Foo. Broken up at Kaohsiung beginning March 1968
KOORALYA 2,882 gross tons, 1,654 net. Lbd: 328' x 46'6" x 20'10". Steam triple expansion engine. Completed by St John Drydock and Shipbuilding Co Ltd of St John, Canada for the Canadian Government, and named Fawkner Park (Park Steamship Co). Delivered to the Commonwealth of Australia on 21 January 1944 under lend-lease arrangement with the Goverment of Canada. Modifications made in Sydney for Australian conditions. Commissioned for Coastal service with Interstate Steamships Pty Ltd (Scott Fell) as Managers. Post War, managed by McIlwraith McEacharn who eventually purchased her late 1946. She was renamed Kooralya 1947. 1956 Converted to burn oil and refitted. 1960 Sold to Theta Shipping Co Ltd of Hong Kong and renamed Mandarin Star. 1964 Transferred to Mandarin Shipping Co Inc of Liberia. 1967 Sold to Fortune Bay Shipping Co Ltd of Liberia and renamed Fortune Bay. 1967 Sold to Dragon Seatransport Co S.A Panama and renamed Dragon Boat. 1968 Sold to Sangyo Shinko for demolition in Izumiotsu
KOORAWATHA 4,054 gross tons. Lbd: 403'4" x 53'3" x 22'7". (122.93 x 16.2 metres) General cargo design steamship, coal fired. Built as the Barrigun by the Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd, Whyalla shipyard in South Australia for the Australian Shipping Board. December 1948 sold to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd., Australia and renamed Koorawatha. January 1964 transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia. September 1964 sold to San Fernando Steamship Co S.A. Panama, converted to burn oil as fuel and renamed Visaya Regidor. November 1966 sold to Cia de Nav Buena S.A. Panama. 1968 renamed Holly Trader. Sold 1973 to Union Seafort Nav Co S.A. Panama and renamed Union Industry. Early 1974 scrapped at Kaohsiung
KOOYONG (11) 2,881 gross tons, 3,450 deadweight. Lb: 95.3 x 13.8 metres. Built by Grangemouth Dockyard, Grangemouth for this concern as a cargo vessel. Steel hulled, single screw diesel engine making 12 knots. Ran from Melbourne to Fremantle January 1960 with one hold full of containers and palletised cargo, a first at the time and almost embryonic to 'cellular' cargo methods that followed. Transferred to Associated Shipping Ltd (ASP) 1964 as a unit load carrier. Laid up July 1972 and sold mid 1973 to overseas interests being renamed Japri Progress. Demolished for scrap at Kaohsiung from May 80


Ed Ed Ed
HEXHAM BANK
1953-78
KOOLIGA (11)
1958-80
KOOMILYA (11)
1948-76
HEXHAM BANK image courtesy R Priest at Nautical Association of Australia
KOOLIGA (11) B20235 image courtesy of State Library South Australia
KOOMILYA (11) image as the Coramba (129465) courtesy State Library Queensland
HEXHAM BANK 1,600 gross tons. Lbd: 263' x 39' x 16'. Steel single screw cargo vessel as built by Evans Deakin in Brisbane for McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd. Single screw, diesel engine making 10 knots. Chartered 1974 by R W Miller & Co, for some four years for the "60 miler" run. Also used to transport blue metal to Blackwattle Bay, Sydney from Bass Point. On Wednesday 21st June 1978, whilst performing such an operation, at a point near Shellharbour New South Wales, caught fire, which completely destroyed the engine room. The crew abandoned ship without loss of life or injury. Declared a "constructive total loss" and towed to the Jubilee Engineering Yard at Balmain. In December 1978, the fire-blackened and damaged "Hexham Bank" was sold to Goldsworth Mort, who broke it up. The hulk was sunk outside Sydney Heads (although another reliable source states - made into a barge at Manila)
KOOLIGA (11) 2,881 tons gross, 1,396 tons net and 3,550 tons deadweight. 95.24 x 13.84 metres. steel single screw motor vessel built 1958, by Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Ltd., Grangemouth. 1 deck; 7 bulkheads; fitted with echo sounding device, gyro-compass, radar & radiotelephony on VHF. Water ballast. Quarter Deck 175 feet; Forecastle 24 feet. Propulsion: 2-stroke, single acting oil engine with 6 cylinders of 500 mm diameter each; stroke 700 mm. 1,900 brake horsepower; engine by British Polar Engine Ltd. in Glasgow. Service speed: 11.5 knots. Transferred to ASP 1964 as unit load carrier. Laid up from December 1972 and sold Mid 1973 to overeseas interests and renamed Japri Venture. Broken up at Kaohsiung May 1980
KOOMILYA (11) 3,551 gross tons. Lbd: 381'4" x 51'1" x 20'1". (116.57 x 15.85 metres) Cargo vessel built by Short Bros, Sunderland as the Coramba for the Australasian United Steam navigation Co. Sold February 1961 to McIlwraith McEacharn & Co., Melbourne and renamed Koomilya in May of that year. Sold November 1966 to San Francisco Steamship Co., Hong Kong (John Manners & Co as managers) and renamed San Francisco. Sold 1970 to Haisen Navigation Co, Panama and renamed High Star. Sold to An Lee Navigation Co., Panama in 1974 renamed An Kuo. Scrapping began at Kaohsiung 10th March 1976



Ed
KOORINGA (111)
1964-92
KOORINGA (111) Originally 3,373 gross tons. 5,976 gross tons, 6,694 deadweight. Lb: 110.6 x 15.15 metres. Steel hulled motorship built 1964 at the State Dockyard, Newcastle New South Wales for this concern. Single screw diesel making 16 knots. Converted into World's first cellular container vessel under Associated Steamships Pty Ltd (ASP). being 5,976 gross tons, 6,694 deadweight. Lb: 126.2 x 19.1 metres. 30th April 1976 sold to a Bulkships subsidiary, Hull Investments Ltd., Hong Kong and sailed for Singapore. Sold again 1976 to Hong Kong Island Line renamed Island Container (335 teu). 1989 renamed Fair Union. 1989 renamed United Way. Scrapped at Nantong November 1992


Ed Ed Ed
WANGANELLA
1929-70
WATAMURRA
1947-77
WOOMERA
1952-74
WANGANELLA & WOOMERA images personal collection
WANGANELLA 9,576 gross tons, 5,625 net. Lbd: 461'2" x 63'9" x 29'1". Steel twin screw motor vessel built 1929 by Harland and Wolff as the Achimota. Launched for Elder Dempster Lines but after a trial (and their inability to pay for her) , she was laid up until 1932 when bought by Huddart Parker & Co Ltd., and renamed Wanganella. An excellent acquisition for this concern, she was fitted as built with twin diesels, 6,750 brake horsepower and capable of 16 1/2 knots. Of her twin funnels, one housed machinery whilst the other contained refrigeration. She could carry up to 400 passengers on the trans-tasman trade, occassionally working Australian port-to-port routes. Acquisitioned 1941 for the Allied war effort and converted into a hospital ship. Survived unscathed Bombay harbour April 14th 1944 when a nearby ammunition ship exploded. Her wartime journeys accounted for over 250,000 knots and 13,875 passengers. Postwar she was refitted for normal duties and travelled Sydney to Vancouver 1946. Her return saw planned resumption of trans-tasman duties however on the first postwar journey there she struck Barretts Reef, Wellington, survived but removed from service until 1948. With the merger/takeover in 1961 of this concern by McIwraith McEacharn Ltd., she flew their colours and was subsequently sold 1963 to New Zealand interests. At this juncture she was utilised as a floating hostel for the workers on a hydro-electric scheme in southern New Zealand. Upon completion of the scheme she was sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers
WATAMURRA 1,894 gross tons. 319ft in Length. Powered by a 5 cylinder 2scsa oil engine by Atlas Diesel of Stockholm. 1947 Built by Gavle Varv and Verks Nya A/B of Sweden for Ruben Olsson of Verkeback and named Fred Olsson. 1956 Purchased by Huddart Parker Ltd of Melbourne and renamed Watamurra and was on the Sydney to Hobart run replacing the Adelong. 1961 She was purchased by McIlwraith McEacharn Pty Ltd of Melbourne along with the rest of Huddart Parker's fleet. Transferred to the Melbourne-Hobart run in 1962. 1963 chartered to the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand for general trading on the Australian Coast. 1964 She was transferred to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd of Melbourne. 1967 sold to Isabel Navigation Co., Panama with John Manners & Co as Managers and renamed Isabel Brenda and chartered to Djakarta Lloyd for the Australia-Indonesian trade. 1968 She just about sunk the tug Argos that was assisting her departure from Sydney. 1969 name was changed to Jaguar. 1975 under ownership of Euro-Asia Line renamed Asia Hero. 1976 caught fire in Singapore. Repairs deemed too costly and sold to the breakers. 1977 on the 14th December demolition began at Jurong
WOOMERA 4,033 gross tons. Lbd: 405'5" X 53'2" X 22'6". Steamship general cargo vessel built at the New South Wales Government 's State Dockyard at Newcastle, New South Wales on order from Evan Deakin & Co, Brisbane. No "D" name allocated by the Australian Government's Australian Shipping Board who initially ordered construction of 10 "D" class ships. Purchased on the stocks November 1950 before her launching by Huddart Parker Ltd., who named her Woomera. Completed July 1952. November 1961 sold (taken over with Company purchase) to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, Australia. Transferred January 1964 to Associated Steamships Pty Ltd., Australia. From January 1966 until January 1967 underwent vast reconstruction to become a unit load container carrier as well as conversion to oil fuel capability by their own engineering division based in Sydney. Gross tonnage increased to 5,614. June 1973 sold to Shin Shin Navigation Co., S.A. Panama and renamed Blue Jade. These owners later renamed themselves as the Blue Diamond Navigation Co., S.A. Panama. 1974 sold for demolition at Kaohsiung


Managed &/or chartered vessels
Ed Ed Ed
ASPHODEL
1890-1903
STRATHLEVEN
1876-1901
EGREMONT CASTLE
1890-1910
STRATHLEVEN image courtesy Wollongong City Library
RIVER LODDON image courtesy Matterson Marine
ASPHODEL 2,674 gross tons, 1,730 net. Lbd: 310' x 41" x 23'5". (94.5 x 12.5m) Steel single screw steamship built by A Stephen & Sons, Linthouse for J B Murray & Co., Glasgow. Held a triple expansion engine producing 240 nhp. As a 'freelance tramper' she was chartered by H C Sleigh in January 1896 and advertised for passengers to Fremantle along with her coal carrying obligations. With the coal strike by Newcastle miners in February 1896, H C Sleigh faced the improbability of supplying the coal contract to Western Australia and sought out W R Cave & Co, Port Adelaide in turning over that contract. April 1896 charter transferred to W R Cave & Co and in August 1896 transferred again to Intercolonial Steam Ship Co, Adelaide, all the while continuing her run in that trade. She was advertised under the banner 'Blue Star Line' to the agency of H C Sleigh up until August 1896. January 1898 Intercolonial Steam Ship Co wound itself up and sold it's Fremantle shore based holdings to McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd, transferring the charter of Asphodel simultaneously. Upon the charter being complete in April 1898, she sailed to England, never to return. 1900 owned by Luckenbach and renamed Norfolk. 1902 converted into a oil tanker and renamed S V Luckenbach. Missing - cleared Sabine Pass 23rd March 1903 (Port Arthur-Marcus Hook, crude oil)
STRATHLEVEN 2,436 gross tons. Lb: 97.8 x 11 metres. Irin single screw steamship built by Blackwood & Gordon, Port Glasgow. Compounded engine. 1879 McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd chartered from Burrell & Son, Glasgow the steamship Strathleven. Fitted with experimental refrigeration device aboard, she departed London and, on the return passage from Australia a shipment of 30 tons of frozen beef plus 2 tons of butter were carried. This cargo was found to be in excellent condition upon arrival on the 2nd October 1880. The first shipment of frozen food undertaken at the time. Her sailing record since unknown. Foundered 35N/25W 7th January 1901
EGREMONT CASTLE 2,877 gross tons. 5,000 dwt. Lb: 95.7 x 12.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Palmers, Jarrow for J.Chambers & Co, Liverpool. Triple expansion engine = 9 knots. Worked the West Australian service under charter by this concern circa 1898. Full details obscure. Was in 1901 renamed Agremont Castle and renamed again 1907 as Heimdal when owned by Wilhem Wilhelmsen . Wrecked Sable Is, Nova Scotia, 20th June 1910 (Santos-Campbeltown New Brunswick, when steaming on ballast)


Ed Ed Ed
ANDANIA
1895-1904
TENTERDEN
1883-93
RIVER LODDON
1944-63
RIVER LODDON image courtesy Matterson Marine
ANDANIA 2,876 gross tons. Lb: 94.5 x 13.1 metres. Cargo vessel steel hulled, single screw as built by Pickersgill at Southwick for Andania Steamship Co Ltd (E F & W Roberts), Liverpool. Records state worked the West Australian service possibly under charter by this concern. Was definitely under charter to the Intercolonial Steamship Co., Adelaide circa 1895. Wrecked Elbow Cay, Cuba 29th December 1904
TENTERDEN 1,339 gross tons, 867 net. Lbd: 246'5" x 33'5" x 19'9". Iron steamship, 2 masted schooner rigged built by Campbell, McIntosh & Bowstead, Spotswood-on-Tyne for Henry Simpson & Co (Black Diamond Line) registered Port Adelaide. Designed as a collier vessel with limited passenger capacity working between South Australia and Newcastle, taking in Sydney and/or Launceston on the return journey. Was so popular her passenger accomodation was increased at Mort's Dockyard, Sydney during 1883. June 1884 acquired by Australasian S N Co and of AUSN Co April 1887. Early 1890's travelled further to the Western Australia ports during the goldrush years. Was under charter to McIwraith McEacharn when she was wrecked at MacDonnell Bay, South Australia on 23rd December 1893
RIVER LODDON 5,001 gross tons. 2,780 net. Lbd: 449'2" x 56'8" x 24'7". Built at the Commonwealth Naval Dockyard, Williamstown Victoria for the Australian Government with McIlwraith McEacharn Ltd., appointed managers. Oct 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. Transferred March 1957 to the Australian National Line. In 1957 during the Suez Crisis was chartered by the Bank Line's subcontinent and Africa trade. Sold through Mitsubishi Shoji kaisha to Amakasu Sangyo Kisen K K in March 1963 for demolition at Osaka


TOP of PAGE HOME!

2008 ©John E Hoskin/Port Australia
All Rights Reserved