A to Z
●City Of Brisbane
●City Of Newcastle
CITY OF NEWCASTLE
CITY OF BRISBANE later renamed SYDNEY COONANBARA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES
IMAGE POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA
NEWCASTLE & HUNTER RIVER
Evolved December 1891
from the merger of
Company with the
HUNTER RIVER NEW STEAM NAVIGATION Company
Hunter River Farmers created their own shipping company in 1852. This company was named the Hunter River New Steam Navigation Company. Their 'charter' was to trade between Hunter River and Sydney only! They provided new vessels for the service. namely the Hunter, Williams and Paterson. Fenella, purchased 2nd hand became another addition to the fledgling fleet. A rate war with rival ASN Co., ensued, until both found agreement and scheduled timetables and rates accordingly. In 1880 ASN Co withdrew from the Hunter River trade altogether
A meeting of Newcastle businessmen in June 1875 formed the Newcastle Steamship Company
with the idea of furthering their interests. This move was a reflection of an established
dislike for the Maitland – Morpeth commercial group, probably because of their priorities
in dredging the river channels rather than prioritising the needs of the Port of Newcastle.
The Newcastle Steamship Company in 1879, bought from Australian Steam Navigation Company its
Hunter River trade and the entire fleet engaged in it.
On 1 January 1892 as a result of merger negotiations, a new company was formed, the Newcastle and Hunter River Steamship Co., carrying each fleets' key names and ports conjoined
and decided upon Newcastle as it's terminus
The company’s operations continued until 1956, and obscurity of records since show
only trading under the name of Southern Shipping
Listed below in chronological order
170 tons as built. Remeasured 1864 to more accurately read 252 gross tons, 144 net. Lbd: 159'1" x 20'5" x 11'8". Iron Paddle steamer,120 horsepower built by Scott & Co., Greenock Glasgow for Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Fast and popular passenger steamer on the Sydney - Hunter River route. Sold June 1858 to R Haworth & Partners, (Kiama Steam Navigation Co) . April 1861 of the Illawarra Steam Navigation Co., Sydney and had her lengthened 1867 to be of 309 gross and 203 net tons, Lbd: 181'5" x 20'5" x 11'5". Sold June 1887 to P Hunter and converted into a hulk. December 1890 acquired by Adelaide Steamship Co for use as a hulk. Scrapped at Melbourne July 1904
image courtesy Wollongong City Library
326 gross tons, 219 net. Lbd: 155' x 20'8" x 10'2". Iron Paddle steamer of 60 horsepower, 2 decks and schooner rigged built by Scott & Co., Greenock Glasgow for Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Worked the Sydney - Hunter river trades as a passenger vessel until sold in July 1871 to William Summerbell & Others. Here then she was converted into a collier. Sold November 1872 to A Kennedy who refitted her back into passenger status with tonnage increase to 410 gross and 260 net. Her Lbd became 156'8" x 23'2" x 10'7". Sold January 1874 to John Billings, registered Wellington New Zealand. July 13th 1874 wrecked at the Waitara River entrance, New Zealand
No image available
270 gross tons, 219 net. Lbd: 155' x 20'8" x 11'. Iron paddle passenger steamer, two funnels built by Scott & Co., Greenock Glasgow for Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Purchased by ASN Co October 1862 after they initially chartered her in June to continue their Brisbane - Rockhampton run (when they lost the Prince of Wales). Placed on the New Zealand run when their 'goldrush' era occured, visiting Auckland as the main port of call. Once the rush ended, she was sold May 1872 to James Deane, (Hotelier) Melbourne. Mr Deane had her altered as a salvage tug and utilised as a part-time excursion steamer on Port Phillip Bay. Lengthened 1872 - 322 gross tons, 203 net with Lbd: 166' x 22'4" x 11'. Commencing excursions on 9 November 1872 to Queenscliff and Sorrento. Used as an excursion steamer in the summer and a tug in winter. Here then, where he owned a Hotel on the Penninsular, he was innovative enough to utilise this vessel as a weekend excursion vehicle from Melbourne to the nearest jetty to his Hotel. It is quite possible this was the first of the 'Bay Steamers" that became so popular on Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, Victoria. Sold October 1885 to Melbourne Coal, Shipping & Engineering Co Ltd., which itself merged with other parties in creating the Melbourne Steamship Co. 1894 this vessel was removed from the register as reported broken up
image courtesy State Library Victoria
NEW STEAM NAVIGATION COMPANY.
INCORPORATED BY ACT OF COUNCIL, 1852.
CAPITAL PAID-UP - - 55,000 POUNDS.
B. LEE, JUN., ESQ., M. L. A., CHAIRMAN
P. O’KEEFFE, ESQ. JAMES SCROGGIE, ESQ.
J. CAMPBELL, ESQ., M. L. A. J. B. R. ROBERTSON, ESQ., J. P.
G. VINDIN, ESQ., J. P.
MANAGER – F. J. THOMAS SECRETARY – J. W. LEE
BANKERS – THE COMMERCIAL BANKING COMPANY.
MORPETH – MR. J. W. LEE. NEWCASTLE – MR. H. E. HOPKINSON
RAYMOND TERRACE – MR. H. D. PORTUS. MILLER’S FOREST – MR. W. MARTIN
CLARENCE TOWN – MR. W. BROADRICK. PATERSON – MR. W. CORNER
“MAITLAND” 880 TONS BURTHEN, 250 N. H. P. – G. BUDD, COMMANDER
“MORPETH” 550 TONS BURTHEN, 185 N. H. P. – W. SUMMERBELL, COMMANDER
“CITY OF NEWCASTLE”, 393 TONS BURTHEN, 150 N. H. P. – J. CRAIGIE, COMMANDER.
“ANNA MARIA” 84 TONS BURTHEN, 25 N. H. P.
BETWEEN SYDNEY AND MORPETH, EITHER WAY, SALOON .. .. 1 POUND
.. .. .. .. .. ..
.. FORE CABIN .. .. 12s. 6d.
BETWEEN SYDNEY AND NEWCASTLE, EITHER WAY, SALOON .. .. 17s. 6d.
.. .. .. .. .. ..
.. FORE CABIN .. .. 10s. 6d.
RETURN TICKETS AT A FARE AND A HALF.
AN UNIFORM RATE, 2s. 6d. SALOON, AND 1s. 6d. STEERAGE, FOR ALL RIVER PASSAGES.
FOR HOURS AND DAYS OF STARTING, SEE DAILY PAPERS.
FREIGHTS TO AND FROM THE HUNTER
ACCORDING TO PRINTED LISTS OF FREIGHTS, WHICH WILL BE FORWARDED POST FREE ON
APPLICATION TO THE MANAGER OR AGENTS.
STEAMERS CALL AT NEWCASTLE, HEXHAM, RAYMOND TERRACE, CLARENCE TOWN, MILLER’S
FOREST, MORPETH, PATERSON, AND BOLWARRA.
STEAMERS TO CLARENCE TOWN AND THE PATERSON ONCE A FORTNIGHT.
BY ORDER OF THE BOARD, F. J. THOMAS, MANAGER.
OFFICES: FOOT OF MARKET STREET, SYDNEY, AND AT SWAN STREET, MORPETH.
261 gross tons, 179 net. Lbd: 159'4" x 19'3" x 11'1". Iron paddle steamer, 2 cylinder engines producing 110 horsepower. 2 masts, schooner rigged, passenger carrying capacity. Built Liverpool 1846, for J Laidley of Preston. March 1850 owned by T Kemp, registered Fleetwood and later at London England. Arrived Australian shores late 1854 seeking a buyer. Worked the Portland - Warrnambool trade Victoria then in 1855 plied the Port Albert trade. July 1855 chartered to the East Coast S N Co (Tasmania) with option to purchase. She was found too expensive/unsuitable and returned to owners November 1855. Did a number of voyages from Melbourne to Hobart and Launceston until acquired and registered at Sydney 1856 for Hunter River New S N Co. Worked the Sydney - Hunter River trade until 1859 when tried unsuccessfully on a Grafton - Brisbane route. 1859 owned by T Sullivan. September 1859 sold to Jones & Sharpe (trustees for the Grafton S N Co). June 1860 of the Clarence & Richmond River S N Co. Sold to Shanghai interests in February 1862. Records end
image courtesy Clarence Historical Society
393 gross tons, 247 net. Lbd: 192'5" x 23'3" x 11'6". Iron Paddle steamer, 2 cylinder of 150 horsepower built by Scott & Co., Cartadyke for the Hunter River New S N Co. As a passenger vessel, she worked the Sydney - Morpeth - Hunter River trade until, in thick fog on September 12th 1878, was wrecked near the Nobby's, Newcastle New South Wales. No injuries, no lives lost as all were able to walk ashore over the rocks per way of a 'gangplank'
No image available
527 gross tons, 360 net. Lbd: 212'9" x 25'4" x 12'8". Iron paddle steamer built by Mitchell & Co., Low Walker on Tyne for the Hunter River New S N Co. 2 funnels, 2 cylinder engine producing 185 horsepower. Designed as a passenger vessel for the Hunter River trade until sold October 1888 to W Summerbell and converted into a collier. Sold April 1891 to G S Power. Converted into a hulk that year and her fate remains unknown
image 'repro' postcard
84 gross tons, 57 net. on46438. Lbd: 91.9 x 17.4 x 6.5 feet. Iron hulled stern wheel paddle steamship built by P N Russell & Co, Sydney for the Hunter River New S N Co Ltd, Sydney. 23 August 1863 under Captain Craig and with Company Directors and Manager aboard, she departed Morpeth for West Maitland, becoming the first steamship to achieve that destination. Drogher. River work only. As likely, gathered stock and stores from the shallow reaches and transporting same to the Company's wharves. January 1892 owned by Newcastle and Hunter River S S Co Ltd, Sydney. 1933 converted into a lighter with register finally closed 1953
No image available
880 gross tons, 555 net. Lbd: 231'5" x 27'1" x 19'5". Iron paddle steamer, built by McCulloch, Paterson & Co., Port Glasgow in 1870 for the Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. Designed as a passenger vessel for the Hunter River trade. Held a oscillating engine producing 250 horsepower, 2 funnels, 2 masts fore & aft rigged. December 1891 owned by Newcastle and Hunter River Steam Ship Co Ltd. Under Captain Skinner, destroyed near Cape Three Points, Maitland Bay, New South Wales, 6 May 1898. Twenty-one lives lost. She left Sydney with 63 passengers and crew in the face of a tremendous gale and was soon battling through enormous seas which caused considerable damage to her superstructure. The master and crew were not alarmed as she was considered to be seaworthy and had battled through many storms during her career. Huge seas hit her just inside Sydney Heads, smashing her fanlights and extinguishing every light in the saloon. When well out to sea, she was damaged further, allowing water to sweep throughout and forcing the captain to jettison the deck cargo. Further deck cargo of machinery broke loose and stove holes near the paddle wheels. More water swept aboard, extinguishing the boiler fires and leaving her helpless. Passengers were assembled in the saloon, issued with lifebelts and told that the ship might not remain afloat for very long. She drifted helplessly until just before dawn. At 5.45 a.m. the Maitland swept on to rocks, breaking in two between the funnels, her fore section being rolled over and over by the giant waves, drowning most of the steerage passengers in the forepart of the ship. After several attempts a line was made fast to the shore, enabling most of the passengers and crew to reach safety through the icy waves. In 1957, two fishermen recovered her bell which is now incorporated in a memorial close to what is now known as Maitland Bay. Fourteen vessels were wrecked along the coast of New South Wales during that night (5th-6th May) in what is now known as the "Maitland Gale"
MAITLAND image (133916r) courtesy State Library Queensland
325 gross tons, 204 net. Lbd: 185'1" x 22'1" x 11'5". Iron paddle steamship built by J Reid & Co., Glasgow for the Illawarra S N Co., Sydney. Of 2 cylinder LP producing 165 horsepower and capable of 14 knots. As a passenger vessel, she worked the Merimbula trade until the Kiandra gold diggings ran out and, was despatched to New Zealand with a view to sell her in 1861. Without success she returned to Australia being mostly laid up. 1872 saw her servicing Sydney - Melbourne via Wollongong, Shoalhaven and Eden, but with little gain financially. Lengthened in 1873 becoming of 449 gross tons, 283 net with Lbd: 209'2" x 22'6" x 11'5". She was chartered by D Little in 1873 and serviced Brisbane - Maryborough - Mackay and later adding Sydney to her itinery. Advertised as the 'fastest ship in the trade' 14 knots being the quickest there and then, she was seen by shareholders in the rival company, Australasian S N Co as a disguised threat from Illawarra S N Co via D Little to their established trade routes. The fact that a Mr. C J Stevens, director of both Australasian S N Co and the Illawarra S N Co was seen as 'perhaps' working against the ASN Co with inside knowledge, led to the shareholders of ASN Co passing a resolution prohibiting any other shareholder holding shares in another shipping company. This led Mr C J Stevens to resign his post, sell his shares and actually purchase the Kembla outright in February 1874. He placed her on the Newcastle run, with intended direct opposition to ASN Co., and using cut-price fares. Both the ASN Co and the Illawarra S N Co banded together attempting to thwart Steven's efforts and both failed. The Kembla earned 20,000 pounds in 15 months, thus proving the loyalty of local support for a service that worked for them. In need of refitting, suddenly all shipyards of the ASN Co were closed to the Kembla, and so she she steamed to Melbourne for the necessary repairs. Upon this she resumed her Newcastle trade and, in February 1876 C J Stevens formed the Newcastle Steamship Co Ltd., Newcastle and forced the ASN Co out of the Newcastle trade completely. October 1890 sold to E Saber. Since various unknown owners until hulked 1917 and used by the New South Wales Government's Metal Quarries Division as a hulk. Register officially closed in 1934. Ended her days in the ‘disposal area’ off Sydney
image courtesy Wollongong City Library
330 gross tons. Lbd: 158'6" x 22'2" x 11'3". Iron paddle steamer built by J Laird, Birkenhead and purchased February 1854 by ASN Co on her voyage to Australia. As a passenger vessel she frequented the Hunter River trade. 1873 she was lengthened to read dimensions of 356 gross tons, 264 net with Lbd: 180'9" x 23'3" x 11'1". March 1873 she was fitted with extra passenger accommodation and a new spar deck. April 1879 sold to Newcastle Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney. Ran ashore at Narrabeen north of Sydney and remained there for nigh on two years. The current place now bears her name. From unsuccessful efforts to float her she was sold at auction March 1881 and finally refloated September 9th, 1884. At this stage she was owned by J Robertson. Towed to sydney for repairs, work history since reveals little except after being sold in February 1888 to A Burns, she was converted into a sailing ship, with engine removed. Wrecked at Eureka California USA July 1889 with a load of coal as cargo from Australia for the west coast ports of the USA
image (d1_20459) courtesy State Library New South Wales
109 gross tons, 65 net. Lbd: 120' x 18'3" x 5'5". Iron stern wheel paddle steamer, 2 masted schooner rigged built at ASN Co's Pyrmont works, Sydney. Of 25-30 horsepower, she was designed for the Hunter River service, having a shallow draught of 3'6" enabling her to navigate safely the Hunter River tributaries in feeding cargo to the main steamships at Newcastle. Sold October 1880 to Newcastle Steam Ship Co, Newcastle and employed in the same service. Records since reveal she was later hulked at an unknown date and finally removed from register 1930 as reportedly 'broken up' quite some years before
633 gross tons, 504 net. Lbd: 230'8" x 27'3" x 12'9". Iron paddle steamer, 2 masts schooner rigged and built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow for the Australasian S N Co., Sydney. 1877 saw her rebuilt to accommodate more passengers. Sold October 1880 to the Newcastle Steamship Co., and four years later, in 1884 renamed Sydney. Worked the Sydney - Hunter River trade. December 1891 of the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. 1911 sold to J & J Daley and hulked. Scuttled 21st March 1925
900 gross tons, 567 net. Lbd: 223'2" x 27'2" x 12'7". Iron Paddle steamer, schooner rigged, built by C J Mare & Co., Orchard Yard Blackwall, London for ASN Co. Designed as a passenger vessel for the Hunter River trade - Sydney. Had also visited some Queensland ports in her travels. 1874 re-boilered with 4 of such replacing original two and adapted to burn Newcastle coal. Trials then revealed her to be the fastest vessel in the colonies. October 1880 sold to Newcastle Steamship Co Ltd., Newcastle. June 1894 sold to C H Guy, registered Sydney and hulked. Scrapped 1914
466 gross tons. Lbd: 173'6" x 27'5" x 11'5". Iron steamship of 2 masts schooner rigged producing 45 horsepower. Built for G W Nicoll. October 1880 sold to Hunter River New S N Co., Sydney. December 1891 of the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. February 1907 sold to Jones Bros., Sydney. 19th February 1920 wrecked at Catherine Hill Bay, New South Wales
LUBRA (05330r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
324 gross tons, 193 net. Lbd: 170'1" x 21'3" x 11'3". Iron steamship built by T Wingate & Co., Whiteinch and Launched Greenock, 28 January 1854 for ASN Co. Sailed from Glasgow 7 May 1854 under Captain J Monroe Under Captain O’Reilly, operated on a monthly mail service from Melbourne to Wellington, New Zealand. Lengthened 1864 to be 655 gross tons and 445 net with Lbd: 211'9" x 21'8" x 19'. Worked most of this company's routes in Australia until 1881 when sold to W H Eldred. November 1881 sold to J J Ames & R H Willis. September 1882 sold to Newcastle Steamship Co Ltd, of Newcastle then transferred to the Newcastle and Hunter River Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. She worked the Sydney- Newcastle-Morpeth run until hulked 1894 when sold to T M Goodall, and scrapped 1898
Boomerang image (a636529r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
82 gross tons. Built Sydney Scrapped Jervis Bay 1894. Editors Note: am unsure if part of this fleet in the fledging years
No image available
527 gross tons, 425 net. Lbd: 210'5" x 25'7" x 11'5". Iron Paddle steamer, 2 cylinder oscillating 150 horsepower. 2 masts brigantine rigged. Built by A & J Inglis Glasgow for the Queensland S N Co's Sydney - Brisbane passenger trade. Of ASN Co as at 1868. December 1875 lengthened to 228'2" x 25'7" x 11'5". Tonnage became 702 gross and 442 net. Worked many of the Company's routes including the Hunter River. December 1882 sold to the Hunter River New S N Co. Sold again in October 1888 to W Summerbell and finally owned by B Corrigan as at January 1889. October 1889, she was converted into a fully rigged 4 masted schooner and was wrecked near Cardwell Queensland on Kennedy Shoal August 19th 1894
1880-1908 96 gross tons, 61 net. Lbd: 72'4" X 19'5" X 5'6". Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer built and owned by J Booth, Balmain Sydney. o/n: 75058. Held a 2 cylinder non-condensing engine of 25 hp from Morts Dock, Balmain. Single mast amidship. June 1884 owned by Hunter River New S N Co, Ltd Newcastle. November 1885 owned by John See. December 1891 owned by North Coast S N Co, Sydney. Employed as a drogher. Register closed 1908 as abandoned - irrepairable
image postcard in issue
at Kings wharf
Company gazette image>
1st & 2nd images as real photo postcards issued. 3rd image early Gazette advert, 4th image a rare photograph>
NAMOI 1,416 gross tons, 809 net. Lbd: 245'2" x 31'6" x 21'7". Steel paddle steamer built by J Key & Sons, Kinghorn for the Hunter River New S N Co Ltd., Sydney. 2 funnels, compounded oscillating engine producing 350 horsepower. December 1884 transferred over to the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. Worked the Sydney - Hunter River route as a passenger - cargo vessel all her career. Placed in reserve 1923 with register closed in 1925 when she was hulked. Remains scuttled June 1933 off Sydney Heads
image postcard in issue
161 gross tons, 109 net. Lbd: 120'4" x 20' x 6'4". Iron stern wheel paddle steamer, built and owned by J W Sutton & Co, Brisbane. Held compound horizontal surface condensing engine of 60 hp and ship registered at Brisbane. Desinged for the Brisbane River - Moreton Bay service and the Brisbane - Southport trade. 1886 lengthened to 152'5" x 20' x 6'4" with tonnage as 206 gross and 140 net. Sold August 1888 to the Newcastle Steam Ship Co., and registered at Newcastle NSW. Serviced the Hunter River trade in drogher capacity. June 1891 sold to Burns Phiklp & Co Ltd, Sydney who converted her into a lighter out of Townsville. 1909 register closed as 'Broken up' at Townsville
518 gross tons, 323 net. Lbd: 186'5' x 28'1" x 12'1". Steel single screw steamship,built by J Readhead & Co., South Shields, England for the Hunter River New S N Co. Held a compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. Designed for the Sydney - Hunter River trade as a passenger-cargo vessel. Registered at Newcastle, July 1892 when owned by Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co Ltd., as at December 1891. From Sydney to Newcastle, wrecked at Pelican Point, (Norah Head) New South Wales, in dense fog, 28th November 1894
No image available
(on94101), built in 1887 by W. Henderson at Newcastle. This vessel had a length of 80 feet and tonnage of 58 tons gross. Rigged with a single mast and powered by a steam engine built by Morrison & Bearby of Newcastle, generating 20 horse power. Running with the Newcastle and Hunter River Steamship Company Ltd. in 1891, the vessel was sold in January, 1901 and was out of commission on a beach at Windy Woppa before 1916. The vessel’s register was officially closed in 1953 (Parsons, 1961: 111). The day to day history of the vessel remains a mystery
image online source
76 gross tons. Single screw steamship. on94123. Built NSW, 1896; registered at Sydney 1897. Length 94 ft. Clearly a river steamship only, of low draught and taking cargo as required from the various minor docks riverside on the Hunter River and feeding same to the fleet based at Newcastle. Lost on Hunter River, at Paterson, 6 May 1914
image postcard in issue
694 gross tons, 440 net. Lbd: 200'2" x 29' x 13'2". Iron steamship built by London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for the Queensland Steam Shipping Co., London. Passenger vessel of 95 horsepower and capable of 10 knots. April 1887 of the AUSN Co., registered Brisbane. Sold September 1891 to H W Henderson's Circular Saw Line, registered Sydney. September 1898 sold to J Morrison, Newcastle. Sold January 1901 to the Newcastle and Hunter River S N Co., working the Sydney - Hunter River service. Sold January 1933 to Stacey and Williams. 1934 converted into a hulk. 1946 scuttled off Sydney Heads
image postcard in issue
1,840 gross tons, 985 net. Lbd: 255' x 40'2" x 20'7". Steel twin screw passenger vessel built by Ramage & Ferguson Ltd., Leith Scotland for the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. She could carry a total of 242 passengers in two classes. She made three round voyages a week and also did excursion trips out of Sydney to the Hawksbury River on Saturdays. Capable of 14.5 knots, she was very popular and always employed on the Sydney - Newcastle overnight run. By 1938 declining trade saw her sold to Miller & Co. of Shanghai. Renamed "Ariadne Moller" she traded on the China Coast and was suttled in Hong Kong in the face of the Japanese invasion in 1941. Raised by the Japanese and renamed "Chikuzan Maru" and was sunk by American bombers at Camphor Port in Vietnam in 1945
'Dufty' Postcard image - personal collection
399 gross tons, 185 net. Lbd: 130'2" x 27'1" x 7'9". Steel twin screw steamship built by Ramage & Ferguson Ltd., Leith Glasgow for the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co Ltd., Newcastle. Of twin triple expansion engines. Fitted with a poop deck and a bridge deck of 77 feet. Serviced the Sydney - Port Stephens, New South Wales trade as a passenger/cargo vessel. Sold for £17,000 to the Australian Government for lighthouse duties off South Australia in 1916 (another record says June 1917). Sold June 1927 to Singapore interests where records end, fate unknown
Postcard in issue - personal collection
119 gross tons. Steamship built at Stockton in 1912 for the Newcastle Hunter River S N Co. Register closed 1946. Remains now in 'duckhole' ships graveyard
No image available
1,929 gross tons, 1,108 net. Lbd: 240' x 40'3" x 14'5". Built by D & W Henderson Ltd, at Patrick Glasgow as the Morilata for the Adelaide Steamship Co., Port Adelaide. She was a twin screw passenger ship designed for and placed upon the Spencer Gulf run. Spent 3 years as interstate passenger vessel between Sydney and North Queensland during WW1. Sold 1919 to Hong Kong Interests and renamed Hai Loong. Sold again in 1922 to Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co Ltd., and renamed Gwydir. Worked the Sydney - Newcastle route February 14th 1942 beached after collision with the Neo Hebridais off Norah Head New South Wales & dismantled where she lay
Left image postcard in issue, right image personal collection
1,288 gross tons. Lbd: 230' x 38' x 151'3". Cargo vessel built at the Ayrshire Dockyard, Scotland for the Newcastle & Hunter River S N Co. September 1930 short-term chartered out to J Patrick & Co (Patrick Steamships) and placed on the Sydney - Brisbane run until as likely October. August 14 1934 chartered out to AUSN for a 5 month period in carrying timber from Brisbane to Sydney and chartered again for four months from 31 July 1935. Purchased by R.W. Miller and Company in July 1956 and quickly sold in September 1956 to be broken up
KINDUR image courtesy of R Priest and available for sale online at the Nautical Association of Australia
1,262 gross tons. Lb: 68.2 x 12 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Robb at Leith for Newcastle & Hunter River Steamship Co Ltd, Newcastle New South Wales. Cargo only. Triple expansion engine. 12 knots. Intended for and used upon the Newcastle- Sydney trade. 1941 made several trips northward from Sydney to Brisbane carrying general cargo and returned to Sydney with cargoes of timber owing to shortage of available coastal tonnage by the regular (AUSN) carriers. Was commissioned by the RAN during WW2. 1959 sold to J Burke & Co Ltd., Brisbane renamed Kuranda. 1963 sold to Jin Hoe Co renamed Jinsan. 1966 sold to Forward Shipping Co renamed Jetley. Renamed again in 1967 Edmaria. 1969 sold to Kin Wah Maritime Co renamed Kin Wah. Limpet-mined in Nha Trang port 15th October 1969
image (303659) courtesy Australian War Memorial
1353 gross tons. Length 241 feet. Propulsion Twin 3 cylinder by North Eastern Marine Engineering Co of Newcastle-on-Tyne. 1940 Built by the Whampoa Dock Co Ltd of Hong Kong and was the last vessel built for this Company which had principally traded between Newcastle and Sydney since 1892. By late 1940 road and rail had a devastating effect on the carriage of coal so the company sought an alternative run and the Karuah found her niche on the Sydney to Hobart run. Although she was designed with limited passenger accomodation, such was removed by 1953. 1956 The company changed their name to that of the Southern Shipping Co Ltd. 1962 She was sold to Savoie's Societe Maritime Caledonienne and renamed Milos Del Mar. 1965 She was sold to the breakers. Only in 1971 was she deleted from the Lloyds Register
KARUAH (111) image (b38409) courtesy of State Library Victoria
584 gross tons, 264 net. Lbd: 182'10" x 31'1" x 11'2". General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. From June 1951 until June 1953 bareboat chartered to the Newcastle and Hunter River Steamship Co Ltd. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. October 1965 sold to Bougainville Trading Co Ltd., Papua New Guinea and renamed in 1966 Nukutoa. 1969 sold to Kinley Navigation Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea.1972 sold to Madrigal Shipping Co Inc., Panama. Stranded off the Philippines december 1978 and refloated January 1979. Written off to underwriters owing to extensive damage and scrapped Cebu City later in 1979
image courtesy State Library Victoria
TOP of PAGE
2010 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved
CITY OF NEWCASTLE
CITY OF BRISBANE later renamed SYDNEY