FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

VARIOUS AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES
Past and Present
QUEENSLAND based shipping concerns


Aplin, Brown & Co, Townsville W H Barham,, Brisbane J Barker, Brisbane Berthelsen Bros, Maryborough George Blonde & Joseph McGee, Brisbane
C Blick, Brisbane James Bogue C C Breslin, Gladstone Brisbane Steamship Co
Brisbane
Brisbane Tug Company
Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company Ltd J Broadfoot & Sons Ltd, Townsville Bundaberg Shipping Company James Campbell and Sons Cairns Timber Ltd Carpentaria Lighterage Co Ltd
Carpentaria Shire Council H Carr, Brisbane Cement Australia Pty Ltd CLIFTON & Aplin, Townsville W Collin & Sons
Brisbane
Doomba Shipping Co., Brisbane
J G Fearnley, Cairns R Hart, Maryborough John Garrick Snr., Brisbane George Harris, Brisbane Dath Henderson, Brisbane Hetherington & Rylance Ltd, Brisbane Samuel Hodgson, Ipswich
Keith Hollands Shipping Pty., Cairns James Honeyman, Brisbane Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd., Maryborough Humpybong Steamship Co
Brisbane
R M Hunter, Rockhampton
Hyne & Son, Maryborough Joseph McGee, Brisbane Charles Mathieson, Maryborough Moreton Bay Development Co Pty Ltd Ivan Nelson, Brisbane
Henry O'Reilly H & R Peters, Brisbane R A Phillips, Redcliffe James Canning Pierce, Brisbane-Ipswich Pocksley, Brisbane Charles Powell, Maryborough
Queensland Freezing & Export Co.,
Brisbane
Queensland Lime & Cement Co
Brisbane
Redcliffe & Sandgate Steam Ferry Co Nelson & ROBERTSON Pty Ltd., Brisbane T W Robinson, Burketown
J Sanderson, Maryborough George Smith, MacKay J W Sutton & Co, Brisbane W Walsh, Port Douglas Wide Bay Shipping Co Pty Ltd of Queensland Williams Keith & Roy aka Wide Bay Shipping Co Wilson & Hart, Maryborough







BRISBANE Steamship Co, Brisbane
Began in October 21st 1883.
Renamed on December 3rd 1891 as the HUMPYBONG Steamship Co.
Renamed again in May 1907 as the H. SS Co
Ceased operations 1928
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
PEARL
1883-96
GARNET
1883-1930
EMERALD
1889-1914
BERYL
c1910-28
OLIVINE
c1900-28
PEARL (9320p), GARNET, EMERALD & OLIVINE (35661p) images courtesy State Library Queensland
PEARL October 1883 commenced runs between Woody Point & Sandgate. January 13th 1896 Ferry "Pearl" capsizes in Brisbane River. {The steamer Pearl moored above the Victoria Bridge (second temporary structure ) in 1896. On Thursday 13 February 1896, at 5.05pm, the Pearl left Queen's Wharf for the Musgrave Wharf, South Brisbane with between 80 and 100 passengers, following the closure of the temporary bridge structure as a result of flood damage. Passsing between the steamer Normanby, and the Government steamer Lucinda, the Pearl was carried onto the Lucinda's anchor chains and capsized. Approximately fifty people drowned. The hulk of the Success is in the background. (Information taken from: The Queenslander, 22 February, 1896) }
GARNET was owned by the Brisbane Steamship Co., and was brought to Brisbane from Sydney in 1884. Her first voyage from Brisbane to Humpybong was on the 28th August of that year and her period of service continued until 1900. Garnet was a small screw steamer of 50 gross tons, 86 feet long and with a 17 feet beam. Purchase price of the vessel was 3000 pounds and she had a speed of ten knots. Garnet left Birkbeck's wharf for Redcliffe every day, including Sunday. She took around two hours to reach Woody Point and became the creator of excursion steamer traffic in the district. Garnet had a life-span of 47 years which ended when she caught fire on the Williams River, New South Wales on 12 March 1930. (Information taken from Brisbane Courier, 2 January, 1894, p.6 and Redcliffe Herald, 1 July, 1970
EMERALD Her first voyage to Woody Point and Redcliffe, from Brisbane on August 28th, 1900. Travelling time, Brisbane to Woody Point was two and a half hours. Owners: Humpybong Steamship Company Limited. Registered 15 October, 1889. Withdrawn from service May 1st 1914. No further details known
BERYL 1910 - 1928 "Olivene" & "Beryl" Sandgate to Woody Point.
OLIVINE 1900 Pocksley runs "Olivene" Sandgate-Woody Point. 1910 Humpy Bong Steamship Co buys "Olivene". 1910 - 1928 "Olivene" & "Beryl" Sandgate to Woody Point


W COLLIN & Sons, Brisbane
William Collin was a Master mariner who involved his activities in lightering and salvage work. He also traded the Queensland ports using sail only vessels until 1874 when he salvaged and rebuilt the wrecked steamshipNorseman. Continued trading until 1884 when he was able to order a purpose built steamship which he named Lady Musgrave. From his successful efforts, the largest shipping concerns began to take notice and he found trade agreement with the A S N Co., of Sydney from about 1888. Where flexibility of operations as well as an established reputation in Queensland ensured his survival, he became W Collin & Sons Ltd., in 1900 and that concern continued, in harmony with ASN Co later known as AUSN Co, up to 1937
Ed Ed Ed Ed
NORSEMAN
c1884
LADY MUSGRAVE
1884-1904
LADY NORMAN
1884-1918
ESSEX
1880-1932
LADY MUSGRAVE image with 'Mary' (181512p) & LADY NORMAN (46692p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
NORSEMAN 1879 Steamer 'Norseman' starts visits to Woody Point. Origins unknown. Was wrecked upon the Bunker Group of Islands, Queensland and salvaged by W Collin, refitted and placed upon the Queensland coastal cargo service
LADY MUSGRAVE 160 gross tons, 88 net. Lbd: 111'2" x 20'2" x 9'2". Iron steamship built by J W Sutton & Co., Kangaroo Point Brisbane for W Collin's passenger/cargo trade from Brisbane, Maryborough and Bundaberg. Held a compounded engine producing 45 horsepower. Was William Collin's first purpose built vessel. Lengthened in 1891 tro read Lbd: 137'1" x 20'5" x 9'1'. Tonnage became 204 gross and 129 net. July 1900 of W Collin & Sons Ltd. Toward the latter part of her career, she was placed upon the Northern New South Wales river service and subsequently wrecked on the bar at Richmond River on 27th March 1904
LADY NORMAN 176 gross tons. Lbd: 130' x 22' x 7'4". Iron paddle steamship built by Walker & Co., Maryborough Queensland as the Seahorse for unknown owners in 1884. Purchased 1895, refitted with the engine salvaged from the stranded German built vessel Dicky and converted into a single screw steamship. Renamed Lady Norman and set for the purpose of carrying sugar from Maryborough, Queensland. Converted into a lighter during 1918. Scuttled Feb. 15, 1969 Curtin Artifical Reef
ESSEX 79 gross tons. Lbd: 91' x 18'6" x 6'3". Iron steamship built by J W Sutton & Co., Kangaroo Point Brisbane for unknown owners. Probably built as an unpowered lighter until circa 1888 (engine built) 1895 when boiler was built. April 1903 saw her first registered by W Collin & Sons Ltd, Brisbane. She serviced Maryborough Queensland although her career is mostly unknown. Her engines were removed in 1932 and she was sold to the partnership of C A Berthelsen (Maryborough) & W A Berthelsen (Scarness). Register finally closed 1956 upon owners' request. The lighter found ownership under A A Kuskie of Marybourough and eventually scrapped 1960

Ed Ed Ed Ed
GLENELG
1875-1900
MARY
c1866-1909
LADY LAMINGTON
1864-1912
TINANA
1901-50
GLENELG image (a23991) courtesy State Library Victoria
MARY image with 'Lady Musgrave' (181512p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
LADY LAMINGTON as GUNGA (189989) image courtesy State Library Queensland
TINANA (90652) image courtesy State Library Queensland
GLENELG 218 gross tons, 558 net. Lbd: 135'8" x 21'1" x 11'3". Iron twin screw steamship built by Aitken & Mansel, Glasgow for Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide. Twin compounded engines producing 80 horsepower. Held distinction of being the first 'southbound' ship to pass through the new Suez Canal on May 24th, 1875. Designed more as a tug - passenger tender vessel with cargo capacity, she worked out of Port Adelaide. Later worked the St Vincents Gulf. 1880 tonnage adjusted to read 210 gross and 76 net. Sold July 1881 to William Wells. Sold April 1882 to Thomas Hesselton, Sydney under whom she made a run to New Zealand for a cargo of salvaged railway equipment. Sold July 1882 to the Port Jackson Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as a Manly ferry. From January until end of March she was chartered to W Collin, Brisbane and placed upon the Brisbane - Bundaberg run. November 1891 sold to E T Miles & Partners, Hobart and placed upon the Hobart - Strahan run, at times extending from Strahan to Melbourne. At some stage she was sold to T A Reynolds or Reynolds was the active 'signature' partner of E T Miles when sold September 1896 to the Union SS Co, New Zealand, along with with T A Reynolds, Hobart fleet. Continued her Tasmanian services under her new owners until 1898 when sold to A J Ellerker, Melbourne. Here she was placed upon the Gippsland Lakes service - Melbourne. March 25th 1900 foundered and sank in Bass Strait, approximately 40 miles west of Lakes Entrance, Victoria en route for Melbourne. A loss of 31 souls, including all passengers, with only three survivors
MARY 89 gross tons. Lbd: 96' x 18' x 7'. Iron paddle steamer built by P N Russell under sub contract from John Cuthbert, Sydney for Queensland Government. June 1890 W & W J Collin, Brisbane. June 1984 Adelaide Steamship Co. 1901 to J G Fearnley of Cairns, whom at the time was this company's agent. She was sheathed in wood Townsville June 1901. Whilst employed as a tug, sank at her moorings in Cairns August 2nd, 1909
LADY LAMINGTON 357 gross tons, 198 net. Lbd: 180'6" x 22'1" x 10'8". Iron steamship built as the 'Gunga', a passenger/cargo vessel constructed at the yard of T Wingate & Co., Glasgow for A J Shepherd, Bombay, and registered at Glasgow. November 1881 of the British India S N Co., London and presented as a fleet contribution to the Queensland SS Co., in their 'war' against the Australasian S N Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co fleet. Renamed 'Croydon' in February 1890. Sold 1898 to W Collin & Sons, Brisbane and renamed Lady Lamington. Acquired by H Carr, Brisbane during 1900 and renamed Moreton. 1934 stripped and hull abandoned upon Bishop's Island, Brisbane
TINANA 808 gross tons. Lbd: 210' x 31' x 13'2". Built by Caledon Shipbuilding Co., Dundee as a cargo vessel. Sold 3rd July 1925 to W Collin & Sons, Brisbane. Sold 1933 to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. She ran the Sydney, Brisbane & Cooktown run.1946 sold to Foo Shin Steamship Co., Shanghai and renamed Foo Shin. 1947 sold to Ta Pei S N Co and renamed Ta Pei. 1949 sold to Tai Chong Hsiang and renamed Yung Yao. Appeared on Lloyd's shipping register in 1950 as Tinana but deleted owing to lack of real evidence. Fate unknown

Ed Ed Ed Ed
FLINDERS
1874-1928
MYORA
1890-1956
MUSGRAVE
1883-1930
GRAZIER
1924-49
MUSGRAVE image as the 'Fiona' courtesy State Library Queensland
GRAZIER image (131487p) courtesy State Library Queensland
FLINDERS 489 gross tons, 278 net. Lbd: 195'7" x 25' x 12'1". Iron steamship built by J Laing, Sunderland as a passenger/cargo vessel for Thomas Elder & Partners., Port Adelaide. Held compounded engine producing 90 horsepower. December 1876 of the Spencer's Gulf Steamship Co Ltd working the Spencer Gulf. Acquired 1886 by the Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd and made the occassional 'intercolonial' voyages. Sold November 1900 to W Collin & Sons Ltd., Brisbane and employed on the Brisbane - Maryborough - Bundaberg run. At times was chartered to the Australasian United S N Co., Sydney. Laid up during 1925 and register finally closed 1928 upon advice the vessel had been demolished
MYORA 38 gross tons. Lbd: 60'1" x 12'5" x 7'7". Iron steamship built by Tooth & Co., Maryborough Queensland as the Teal for the Queensland Harbours & Rivers Dept. Sold 1913 to W Collin & Sons, Brisbane and renamed Myora. December 1936 sold to A J D Histed. 1956 register closed stating 'lying derelict at Kangaroo Point, Brisbane
MUSGRAVE 904 gross tons, 467 net. Lbd: 211'1" x 30'2" x 15'4". Steel twin screw steamship built by J Reid & Co Port Glasgow as the Fiona for Colonial Sugar Refining Co., Sydney New South Wales. Sold 1908 W Collin & Sons Ltd, Brisbane and renamed Musgrave. March 1910 owned by Musgrave Steamship Co Ltd., a subsidiary of W Collins & Sons Ltd. Worked the Gulf of Carpentaria on a mail service as chartered by AUSN Co. 1920 sold to George T Bell, Melbourne. 1923 owned by William. J. Gibson, Melbourne. 1930 R. Kennedy & Sons Pty., Melbourne. Scrapped - 1930 hull reported scuttled in Storm Bay, near Leura
GRAZIER 107 gross tons. Lbd: 114'6" x 23'8" x 10'3". Wooden steamship built at Drummoyne, Sydney for the Grazier Steamship Limited. Her appearance is on more of an early ferry vessel, however at some stage, unknown she came under ownership of W Collin & Sons Pty Ltd, Brisbane. Recorded as 'lost' in Moreton Bay Queensland 1949 with her register closed in September of that year. While working as a coral dredge in Moreton Bay, capsized and swamped January 15th 1948, a total loss, near Mud Island (not far from Bishop Island). 1 life lost


DOOMBA Shipping Co., Brisbane
Ed
DOOMBA
1919-47
DOOMBA image (37288p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
DOOMBA Reg. No. 147468, and originally built in 1919 by William Simons & Co., of Renfrew, as H.M.S. Wexford, a minesweeper for the Royal Navy. She had a length of 219.4 feet, a width 28.6 feet and a depth of 16.8 feet. Displacing 750 gross register tons and 264 net, her 1800hp engines afforded her a maximum speed of some 16 knots. She was sold to the Doomba Shipping Co., of Brisbane in 1921 and was brought out to Australia. She was renamed 'Doomba' and put into service in the Moreton Bay passenger excursion trade. In 1923 she was transferred into the hands of the Brisbane Tug & Steamship Co. for use as excursion steamer. She was requisitioned for wartime service in the Royal Australian Navy on 3 September 1939, one of the first for the war. She served as an Auxiliary Minesweeper from 1939-1946 with a complement of 74 men. In mid-1942, she was refitted as an anti-submarine vessel and became a part of the anti-submarine escort force based in Sydney. She was sold by the R.A.N. in February 1947 and converted into a lighter named Meggol. She was laid up in 1970 and scuttled near the Dee Why, N.S.W., on 9 December 1976, at Latitude 33,43.2,00, Longitude 151,20.5,00.


QUEENSLAND LIME & CEMENT Co., Brisbane
Cementco Shipping was part of Queensland Cement and Lime (QCL) which in turn is owned by Cement Australia and Cement Australia already was part of the Swiss Holcim Group. CSL Pacific Shipping Ltd now owns the vessels (paper Ownership more likely) and management is under CSL Ship Management.
Since - as 'Cement Australia' three vessels, the Cementco, Alcem Calaca and Goliath carry product from Gladstone to various facilities across Australia. In 2003 Cement Australia shipped approximately 860,000t Clinker, 460,000t Cement, 120,000t Fly Ash, 46,000t Limestone and 5,000t Gypsum. June 2007 the Cementco, Alcem Calaca and Goliath were purchased by CSL (Australia) whom are actually Canada Steamship Lines, with offices worldwide. Australian crews and Australian registration remains
Ed Ed Ed Ed
KYOGLE
1901-51
CEMENTCO (1)
1945-84
DARRA
1967-
CEMENTCO (11)
1978-
CEMENTCO (1) (b40817) image as the Crusader courtesy State Library Victoria
CEMENTCO (11) image personal collection
KYOGLE 702 gross tons. Lbd: 180'1" x 30'1" x 12'. Cargo vessel built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow for the North Coast S N Co., Sydney. Sold in 1924 to Department of Navigation, Australian Government for use as a lighthouse tender. Resold 1930s to Queensland cement & Lime Co, Brisbane. Ended her days carting coral from Moreton Bay to the cement works at Darra Queensland Registry closed July 1951. Hull sunk l0 km east of Cape Moreton by RAAF bombing practice May 12, 1951
CEMENTCO (1) 1,471 gross tons, 816 net. Lbd: 197'x 50' x 19' approx. (69.72m x 15.42m ) Steel motor vessel built 1945 at the Melbourne Harbour Trust Workshop & Slip, Williamstown Victoria. for the Australian Army and named Crusader. 6 screws and diesel engines by Ruwold Melbourne, ea 6.cy. 8 x 10', 204 bhp. Owners: Queensland Cement & Lime Co, reg. Brisbane. Renamed 1949. Used as a coral hopper barge. Scuttled July 27, 1985 off Flinders Reef, about 4 miles from Moreton Island light
DARRA Bulk carrier. No details known
CEMENTCO (11) 12,077 gross tons, 6,084 net. 16,331 dwt. Lbd: 148.01 x 23.12 x 8.73 metres. Bulk Carrier built as Lake Eildon for Australia National Line by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Hiroshima. Sold to Queensland Lime & Cement Co in 1978 and renamed Cementco. June 2007 the Cementco, Alcem Calaca and Goliath were purchased by CSL (Australia)


Ed Ed Ed
WARDEN POINT
1978-
ALCEM CALACA
1979-
GOLIATH
1993-
GOLIATH image courtesy of Matterson Marine
WARDEN POINT 3,895 gross tons, 1,978 net. Bulk carrier built by Gotaverken Solvesborg, Solvesborg (1987) probably as the Red Sea Of Hudson Steamship Co 1980 and renamed Warden Point. Sold 1990. Was operating from Port Kembla - Melbourne 1999 carrying 'fly ash'.
ALCEM CALACA 8,960 gross tons, Net 4,548 net, 12,274 Mt. deadweight. Lbd: 134.50 x 20.50 x 8.66 metres. Main Engine: Pielstick. Speed: 13.5 knots. Bulk carrier built by Nippon Kokan K.K., Shimizu for Belden Shipping, a loosely owned consortium Singapore based. Cementco Shipping have under charter until 2009. Taken intially for a period on the Australian coast with foreign-crew to test the capacity of the ship’s self-discharge equipment to handle cement and other cargoes as required by Queensland Cement Ltd (now Cement Australia Pty Ltd). Since re-registered in Australia and an Australian crew engaged on her. Status: current. June 2007 the Cementco, Alcem Calaca and Goliath were purchased by CSL (Australia)
GOLIATH (11) 11,754 gross tons. Note: as at December 2006 came under Cementico Shipping as Australian operator. June 2007 the Cementco, Alcem Calaca and Goliath were purchased by CSL (Australia)


H CARR, Brisbane
J Barker & W H Barham, (shipwrights), Brisbane
Charles Mathieson, Maryborough

Ed Ed Ed Ed
MORETON
1884-1904

HEATHER BELLE
1876-1949

MORETON image courtesy State Library Queensland
MORETON 357 gross tons, 198 net. Lbd: 180'6" x 22'1" x 10'8". Iron steamship built as the 'Gunga', a passenger/cargo vessel constructed at the yard of T Wingate & Co., Glasgow for A J Shepherd, Bombay, and registered at Glasgow. November 1881 of the British India S N Co., London and presented as a fleet contribution to the Queensland SS Co., in their 'war' against the Australasian S N Co. April 1887 of AUSN Co fleet. Renamed 'Croydon' in February 1890. Sold 1898 to W Collins & Sons, Brisbane and renamed Lady Lamington. Acquired by H Carr, a contractor and registered Brisbane during 1900 and renamed Moreton. 1934 stripped and hull abandoned upon Bishop's Island, Brisbane

HEATHER BELLE 92 gross tons, 73 net. Lbd: 97'8" x 20' x 6'7". Wooden steamer built at Doughboy Creek Brisbane for unknown owners. Eventually owned by J Barker & W H Barham, shipwrights with a Brisbane registry. Acquired June 1892 by this company and sold March 15th 1915 to Charles Mathieson, a lighterman of Maryborough Queensland. Re-engined 1917 at Mort's Dockyard, Sydney with diesel engine 4 cylinder, producing 40 horsepower. Probably operated as a lighter and definitely operated at Maryborough, Queensland. Records state she was broken up and register closed 1949



George Blonde & Joseph McGee, Brisbane R M Hunter, Rockhampton
Ed Ed Ed Ed
AGNES
1880-1922
....................
ANT
1871-1905
....................
AGNES image courtesy State Library Victoria
AGNES 78 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 87'6" X 20'8" X 5'7". Wooden Steamship built and registered Brisbane 1884 in the name of George Blonde & Joseph McGee. Various unknown owners since until 1907 when acquired by the Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. Either 1915 or 1918 sold to A. Jackson of Bunbury then A E Brown shipbuilder Fremantle. No records since 1922

ANT 17 gross tons. Lbd: 42'2" x 6'8" x 4'. Iron steamship built at the ASN Co's Pyrmont workshops, Sydney. Vertical steam engine of a mere 5 horsepower. Sold April 1878 to Whitehead & Co. Sold January 1882 to Whitney & Co. Sold November 1883 to R M Hunter of Rockhampton, Queensland. Wrecked Rockhampton 1905



HYNE & Son, Maryborough
originally had the schooners 'Agnes' & "Mayflower'
Shipping subsidiary being
Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd
Ed Ed Ed
PELICAN
1880-1967
HOPEWELL
1900-34
KGARI
1897-1954
HOPEWELL image (9695p) courtesy State Library Queensland
KGARI image as the 'Carroo"
PELICAN 81 gross tons. Lbd: 80'2" x 17' x 6'7". Iron single screw steamship/tug built by Johnson & Co (Tyne Foundry) Yarrabank Melbourne for the Melbourne Harbour Trust. May 1895 owned by the Adelaide Steamship Co and employed on the North Queensland coast. September 1941 sold to Berthelsen Bros, Maryborough Queensland and employed in the logging trade. Circa 1945 owned by Hyne & Son being re-engined with International truck engines. Laid up 1967. Fate unknown although believed scuttled off Woody Island, Hervey Bay Queensland
HOPEWELL 337 gross tons. Lbd: 145' x 24'1" x 8'3". Steel steamship, signle screw built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley Scotland for R M Hyne, Maryborough Queensland. Triple expansion engine producing 65 nominal horsepower. Machinery aft. Chartered briefly for timber work by John Burke & Co 1920. Worked as a timber carrier for this concern and, placed by the family of R M Hyne upon his death under the title 'Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd'. Continued as a timber carrier until 1930 and laid off during the depression. 1934 placed again on the timber trade but found cost-prohibitive and stripped down to a hulk. Register closed 1938. Hulk believed ashore at Comboyuro
KGARI 272 gross tons, 122 net. Lbd 130'5" x 25'1" x 8'9". Built by Edward Bros., North Shield for G S Yuill of London. Steel twin screw steamer. Held twin compound steam engine of 140 inverted horsepower and rated at 7 knots. Acquired September 1897 by Adelaide Steamship Co and rebuilt, refitted, lengthened August 1904 to read: 130' x 25'1" x 8'9". Burnt out 1920 when cargo of case oil caught fire, sold to underwriters, re-bought and refitted 1921. Requisitioned by the Royal Australian Navy June 1942. Returned to owners at the end of hostilities. Sold 1954 and made a lighter/logging barge for Maryborough interests (Hopewell Steam Shipping Co Ltd). Renamed Kgari - the aboriginal name for 'Fraser Island' or 'paradise'. Scuttled at Roy Rufus Reef, Hervey Bay, September 19th 1976. (Carroo = aboriginal word for 'creek')


APLIN, BROWN & Co., Brisbane
Operated out of Townsville
CLIFTON & APLIN, Townsville
William Villers BROWN Townsville
George Smith, MacKay
R HART & Co, Maryborough
WILSON & HART, Maryborough
Ed Ed Ed Ed
HERBERT
1884-1933
....................
QUEENSLAND
1884-1917
....................
HERBERT image personal collection
HERBERT 233 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'3". Iron steamship built by McIntyre & Co., Hebburn on Tyne for William Villiers Brown, a Townsville merchant who was also part of the business known as Aplin, Brown & Co. This vessel, registered in Brisbane was capable of carrying 27 passengers, working the outports from Townsville. She held a compounded engine producing 60 horsepower. May 1888 sold to John Williams, Launceston and February 1889 of the United Steamship Co., Launceston. Her Tasmanian career was spent servicing the north-west coast of that island state. Sold in March 1896 to the Adelaide steamship Co., Port Adelaide who placed her back on the Queensland small ports and rivers service, where she begun. April 1897 saw her steam from Cairns to New Guinea for the 'goldrush' there, but the journey was not repeated. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross, 152 net. Lbd: 140'1" x25' x7'3". By 1907 she was working the South Australian gulfs' trades, taking in the ports of Turton, Minlacowie, Broughton, Victoria and Wallaroo. Since she was demoted to being a 'coal lighter' until July 1913 when she was refitted and placed again in the Spencer Gulf trade. Finally sold for scrapping purposes in 1932 and scuttled off Cape Cleveland, Queensland during January 1933

QUEENSLAND 461 gross tons, ON99249, Lbd: 160' x 25'6" x 11'2". (48.8 x 7.8 metres) Steel steamship built, completed August 1894 by J Scott & Co Kinghorn for R Hart & Co, Maryborough (Wilson & Hart). Triple expansion engine. Single screw. Sold 1917 to Cleghorn Hopkins Ltd, Brisbane and made gravel barge. and eventually abandoned on Bishop Island



CARPENTARIA Lighterage Co Ltd
Officially registered at Brisbane December 1900 with the unision of Burns Philp & Co, the Australasian S N Co and Captain T W Robinson. in providing steamships and lighters Atlas and Hercules and Samson to service Normanton and Burketown. 1888 intially saw Burns philp and AUSN work together pooling vessels and lighters, later including Captain T W Robinson with his lightering holdings that included the lighter 'Samson' and the hulk 'Bells'. The Francis Cadell, of AUSN Co was in the 'pool' until wrecked 1898. This concern - Carpentaria Lighterage Co Ltd in captial was owned 50% by Burns Philp, 33% by AUSN Co and 16.5% by T W Robinson, who was also company superintendent. By 1920 the Dugong was sent to Brisbane for scrapping purposes whilst the two lighters, Atlas and Hercules were sold to the respective Shire Councils. The Company ceased by 1926
Ed Ed Ed Ed
WATER LILY
c 1888
AMY
1863-1926
DUGONG
1875-1920
WHANGAROA
c 1900
AMY image courtesy Gold Coast City Council Local Studies Library
DUGONG (18406p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
WATER LILY No real details known. Although recognised as a small steamer operating out of Burketown under Burns Philp, she was never officially recorded on any Australian shipping register
AMY 34 gross tons. Lbd: 53' x 15'2" x 6'4". Iron steamship built (or assembled from portions imported) by G McLean Brisbane for M B Orr of Glasgow & James Honeyman of Brisbane, with her registry at Brisbane. 1872 (early) Henry O'Reilly, October 1872 J Honeyman. August 1877 James Burns in his independant merchant capacity at Townsville. February 1884 owned by Burns Philp & Co., Ltd. July 1901 of the Carpentaria Lighterage Co Ltd. April 1920 Carpentaria Shire Council. 1926 she sunk at her moorings in Normanton Queensland, disintegrated and washed out to sea
DUGONG 83 gross tons. Lbd: 91'6" x 17'8" x 6'5". Iron steamship single mast built at the Pyrmont workshops of ASN Co Sydney. Lengthened 1884 to be 116 gross tons and Lbd: 109'4" x 17'8" x 6'5". Of AUSN Co 1887 and sold June 1901 to Carpentaria Lighterage Co. Scrapped 1920 after stranding damage Brisbane
WHANGAROA Purchased 1900 on at the formation of this concern. No other details known


John Garrick Snr., Brisbane
Samuel Hodgson, Ipswich
Charles Powell, Maryborough
James Bogue, Queensland
Hetherington & Rylance Ltd, Brisbane
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BARBARA and JANE
1867-84
....................
BOBBIE TOWNS
1894-1924
CENTIPEDE
1913-60
BELLE
1883-1956
................ image courtesy ..................
BARBARA and JANE 64 gross tons. Lbd: 86'3" x 19' x 5'4". Wooden stern wheel paddle steamer built Logan River Queensland for John Garrick Snr., registered Brisbane. High presure engine producing 14 horsepower. May 1870 Samuel Hodgson, Ipswich Queensland. August 1877 Charles Powell of Maryborough. March 1881 James Bogue. September 1882 Robert Philp. Sunk alonside Aplin's wharf, in Ross creek Townsville, after a collision during flood conditions February 1884. Remains dynamited

BOBBIE TOWNS 135 gross tons, 75 net. Lbd: 98'2" x 23'3" x 7'5". Wooden steamship built by G Frost at Kincumber New South Wales for this company. Compound surface condensing engine producing 21 nhp. Worked out of Townsville, Queensland. A tough little ship, she survived 1903 when the much larger vessel Wodonga broke free from her moorings during cyclonic conditions and struck her. Sold October 1915 to Hetherington & Rylance Ltd, Brisbane. She was eventually scrapped at Brisbane July 1924
CENTIPEDE 133 gross tons. Lbd: 82' x 22'2" x 8'8". Steel hulled steam powered tug. Built at the Brisbane workshops of Australasian United S N Co in 1913. Sold to Hetherington & Rylance, Brisbane 1923. Ownership records vague at least, although she was rebuilt and re-engined 1958-60 the by Moreton Tug & Lighterage Co., Brisbane. She was still in service 1976 on the Brisbane River as a motor driven powered lighter. Scuttled February 2, 1990 at Curtin Artificial Reef, Moreton Bay
BELLE 101 gross tons. Stern wheel paddle steamer built 1883 at Sandgate, Redcliffe Queensland. Early owners unknown. Last owners J W Hetherington & P D Rylance. Became or was a wooden barge with this ownership. Registry closed January 1956 as 'No trace', reportedly abandoned in Brisbane River, date unknown


C Blick, Brisbane
W Walsh. Port Douglas
Ivan Nelson, Brisbane
Nelson & Robertson Pty Ltd., Brisbane
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BEE
1865-85+
....................
POONBAR
1913-51
....................
POONBAR image (02207r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
BEE 43 gross tons. Lbd: 64' x 15'9" x 5'8". Iron steamship, 3 masted schooner rigged built and owned by C Blick, Brisbane. Steam engine capable of 12 horsepower. October 1865 purchased by Australasian S N Co., registered at Brisbane and used there possibly as a passenger vessel and later as a steam barge. Sold October 1884 to W Walsh of Port Douglas who had her re-engined (to 14 horsepower) and re-rigged as a 2 masted schooner. For what duration she lasted is unknown, however it is recorded she was abandoned on the bank of Port Douglas. Her 'Official" register was finally closed June 1956 stating 'no trace'

POONBAR 909 gross tons, 421 net. Lbd: 200'4" x 34'1" x 12'2". Steel twin screw steamship built 1913 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, Sydney as a cargo vessel. Was of 98 horsepower. At the time she was their largest cargo vessel and intended for the Lismore trade on the Richmond River. Here then, with her twin screws and overall length, the narrow arms and bends of that river saw her oversized and stranded several times. Often her decks were scattered with tree branches and whatever lifeforms, coiled or nested in them also found the ship's deck. It spoke volumes about her being a pure ocean going vessel only. Sold during 1927 to S H Hammond, Tasmania. Placed upon the Hobart - Sydney - Brisbane service. Latersame year ran a Brisbane - Northern Rivers of New South Wales Service fortnightly, alternating with a Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane service. A tough arena was the Brisbane - Northern Rivers trade and, he succumbed finanically with the Corrimal being sold in November 1927 and the Poonbar being laid up pending sale. Sold January 1928 Nelson & Robertson Pty Ltd., Brisbane, who almost immediately chartered her out long term to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. 1936 saw Ivan Nelson, Brisbane hold full ownership. Ran for John Burke & Co until 1947 (unsure if he ever purchased this vessel) when sold to Manners & Co, Hong Kong (Panama registry) renamed San Ernesto. 1950 to Wallem & Co., Panama. 1951 scrapped Hong Kong



Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company Ltd
February 3rd 1911 as renamed. Originally named
Brisbane Tug Company
as formed August 28 1903.
Moreton Bay Development Co Pty Ltd
In 1952 acquired the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Co Ltd. In 1952
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
BOKO
1877-49
KOOPA
1911-60
DOOMBA
1919-47
BOKO images ( 93077p & 118181p) courtesy State Library Queensland
KOOPA b & w image as H M A S Koopa
DOOMBA image (37288p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
BOKO 203 gross tons, 70 net, Lbd: 125' x 21'1" x 10'4". Paddle steamer built Hebburn on Tyne by A Leslie & Co., and registered at Liverpool for the voyage out to Brisbane, Queensland. The Brisbane newspaper - Courier October 8th 1877 said it arrived the day before with cargo of 100 tons of pig iron whilst rigged as a schooner, for Bright Bros., Melbourne. August 1903 to Brisbane Tug company in 1881. Press of the day stated - is usually tug tender but now being used to take cargo and mail to Rockhampton for the homeward mail steamer. held a river certificate to carry 471 passengers soon after completion. At some later stage worked as a tug only, until downgraded to be an Iron dumb lighter, under ownership of Peters Slip, Brisbane. Registry closed December 1949 as 'broken up'. Remains reported in Aquarium Passage in 'Annual Dogwatch' No.23, 1966 p. 74.
KOOPA 416 gross tons. Lbd: 192'7" x 28'1" x 8'7". Built by Ramage & Ferguson Ltd, Leith, Scotland as a passenger ferry for the Brisbane Tug and Steamship Company Ltd. Machinery Ramage & Ferguson Triple expansion engines, 6 cylinders - 176 nhp. Serviced Moreton Bay, Queensland, running pleasure cruises. On 10 August 1942 the vessel was requisitioned for naval service. She commissioned at Brisbane on 14 September 1942 as HMAS Koopa under the command of Lieutenant-Commander George W.T. Armitage, RAN (Emergency List). Fitted armament 2 x 20 mm Oerlikons, 4 x .303 machine guns. Until late 1943 Koopa was used as a depot ship for combined operations training at Toorbul, Queensland, and then became the mother ship for Fairmile motor launches operating in the Milne Bay area of New Guinea. After returning to Brisbane in February 1945 she was handed over to the Royal Navy on 26 July 1945 as a floating source of steam and electrical power. Koopa reverted to the Royal Australian Navy on 24 September 1945 and was returned to her owners on 10 January 1947. Broken up along the Brisbane River 1960
DOOMBA built in 1919 by William Simons & Co., of Renfrew, as HMS Wexford, a minesweeper for the Royal Navy. She had a length of 219.4 feet, a width 28.6 feet and a depth of 16.8 feet. Displacing 750 gross register tons and 264 net, her 1800hp engines afforded her a maximum speed of some 16 knots. She was sold to the Doomba Shipping Co., of Brisbane in 1921 and was brought out to Australia. She was renamed Doomba and put into service in the Moreton Bay passenger excursion trade. In 1923 she was transferred into the hands of the Brisbane Tug & S.S. Co. for use as excursion steamer. She was requisitioned for wartime service in the Royal Australian Navy on 3 September 1939, one of the first for the war. She served as an Auxiliary Minesweeper from 1939-1946 with a complement of 74 men. In mid-1942, she was refitted as an anti-submarine vessel and became a part of the anti-submarine escort force based in Sydney. She was sold by the Royal Australian Navy in February 1947 and converted into a lighter named Meggol. She was laid up in 1970 and scuttled near Dee Why, NSW, on 9 December 1976, at Latitude 33,43.2,00, Longitude 151,20.5,00.


................................ James Campbell and Sons
Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
NATONE
1884-1911
MAVIS
1883-
NATONE image at Kangaroo Point 1894 courtesy ..................
MAVIS image (APA-114-0001-0007p) courtesy State Library Queensland


NATONE Built at Morts Dock, Sydney for the Tasmanian S N Co. Double ended paddle steamer that worked the Derwent River in a tender capacity. Could carry up to 800 passengers. Sold October 1885 to unknown interests at Sydney for usage as a ferry. SInce, she went to Queensland circa 1890 being owned by James Campbell & Sons and serviced the Redcliffe area as a passenger ferry to Brisbane. Also ferried passengers to an aquarium in Doughboy Creek, Doboy. Sold again to Melbourne interests and renamed Queen, working out of Port Phillip Bay Victoria. 1911 converted into a lighter
MAVIS At Landsborough in 1883 Campbells launched the steamer 'Mavis' which brought supplies up the river passage. Of 47 tons gross measurement, she was the first steamer to run to Bribie. The Mavis, was a paddle wheel steamer. She was built in 1883 by J. W. Sutton and Co., Kangaroo Point for James Campbell and Sons, and was used to convey timber from the Coochin Sawmills to Brisbane, taking back general cargo and supplies for residents in the Bribie district.
'The little steamer Mavis made her first trip on the 26th January 1883, and with regularity and punctuality, be the tide ebb or flow, continued her service until the year 1890 when the Coochin sawmills were closed. Captain Tutty was always in command of the Mavis. During these seven years trading was never known to “stick" the Mavis on any bank inside or outside the passage. There were no lights or leads for him. He steered by self-known landmarks and his well-known local knowledge. He knew the southern end of the bay equally as well as the north. Mavis ran weekly to Woody Point, Scarborough. & Bribie from 1883. Logan river - In November 1887, the steamer Mavis discontinued its service. According to the Logan Witness, this was the last steamer to operate and its departure left the river trade to the punts and sailing boats which had started it so many years earlier'


REDCLIFFE & SANDGATE Steam Ferry Co
established 1882 although vessel/s unknown. Guess work via logical association to vessels in operation in the area since are 'Arakoon', The "Redcliffe", The "Bribie", "Mystery" & "Roxana"
Further information pending request (as asked 2008 and still waiting) from Redcliffe Historical Society
Ed Ed Ed Ed

....................
.................
....................
courtesy ..................






WIDE BAY Shipping Co Pty Ltd of Queensland
owners Keith & Roy Williams
Operated cargo services Maryborough - Brisbane from June 1949 until 1960s
Ed Ed Ed Ed
CEREGO
c1949
SARAWAK
1944-68
HAVANNAH
1916-73
LEISHA
1936-54
Havannah image as Hokitika photo by D Brigham
LEISHA image (185943p) courtesy State Library Queensland
CEREGO First vessel owned by this Company. Formerly a wooden hulled Army Supply motor vessel of approx 60 x 13 feet, 51 tons gross, 60 tons dwt. She was stranded South of Sandy Cape, salvaged by Peter Lewis and acquired early 1949. Ran the Brisbane service until 1951-52 when sold to the Bundaberg Shipping Co. Believed registered at Bundaberg, record of operations unknown except sold 1962 to Sydney interests. Fate unknown
SARAWAK 115 gross tons. 121 deadweight. 92 x 22.5 x 7.4 metres. on91469. Wooden motor vessel built as a Royal Navy Minesweeper, MFV1501 class by Richards ironworks Ltd, Lowestoft. I Crossley diesel engine. Actual name as a minesweeper unknown, some just carried the 'class' number so perhaps MFV1501 was applied. Post war seems to have been owned by Kuching Borneo as was purchased in 1952 from them by Wide Bay Shipping Co and registered at Maryborough that year. Serviced Maryborough - Brisbane one a weekly basis carrying general cargo, timber and bagged sugar. Unknown date (1960+) sank in the Brisbane River and then sold to R A Phillips, Redcliffe for salvage purposes. Subsequently, was operated on a ten day service between Brisbane and Mackay, owner possibly the R A Phillips. Customs advised vessel was scrapped in July 1968
HAVANNAH 205.43 gross tons, 76.35 net. Lbd: 101' x 23'1" x 7'6". Steamship passenger-cargo as built 1916 by J.McGregor and Co., Dunedin for Northern Steamship Co and named Waipu. Serviced their Auckland - Waipu run. 1935 Laid up at Auckland and bought by K D Boxes Ltd (M.A.Scott) of Auckland. Extensively rebuilt and cargo capacity increased with the removal of the passenger accomodation. She was also converted to a twin screw motor vessel. 1936 Ownership transferred to Eclipse Shipping Co., of Auckland and renamed Hokitika. She was used for trading between West Coast Ports of the South Island and North Island Ports carrying timber products. 1941 Acquired by the Anchor Company as a replacement vessel for their ships that were requisitioned for war service. 1942 Sold to New Zealand Government for U.S. Navy employment in the Pacific area. She was mainly used as supply vessel. 1945 Acquired by Aspden Shipping Co of Auckland who used her on their bagged cement trade between Portland and Auckland. 1954 Sold to Captain E. Savoie of Noumea and renamed Colorado Del Mar. Resold her same year to Etablissements Ballande of Santu. New Hebrides and renamed Havannah. 1959 Once again sold this time to Wide Bay Shipping Co Pty Ltd of Queensland. 1960 She was Sold to Blue Pacific Charter Pty Ltd of Brisbane and renamed Blue Pacific. She was converted for passenger cruises.1965 Saw her being sold to Captain Hugh Williams of the Pacific Islands who renammed her Havannah. 1972 She grounded on a sand bar in Efate New Hebrides near the village of Male. 1973 She was towed out to deep water and sunk by explosives
LEISHA 84 gross tons. Lbd: 73'2" x 18'6" x 7'6". Wooden motor ship built by Norman Wright, Brisbane for John Burke Ltd. Fairbanks Morse diesel of 120 bhp. Sold August 1954 to Wide Bay Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Maryborough Queensland. Sunk after leaking about one mile south of Double Island Point Queensland in heavy seas on December 8th 1954. Salvage attempts failed and remains are present near where the mv Cherry Venture went ashore in 1973


......................... James Honeyman & Sons, Logan River
Ed Ed Ed Ed


AMY
1863-1926
LOUISA
c1887
LOUISA (67299p) image courtesy State Library Queensland


AMY 34 gross tons. Lbd: 53' x 15'2" x 6'4". Iron steamship built (or assembled from portions imported) by G McLean Brisbane for M B Orr of Glasgow & James Honeyman of Brisbane, with her registry at Brisbane. 1872 (early) Henry O'Reilly, October 1872 J Honeyman. August 1877 James Burns in his independant merchant capacity at Townsville. February 1884 owned by Burns Philp & Co., Ltd. July 1901 of the Carpentaria Lighterage Co Ltd. April 1920 Carpentaria Shire Council. 1926 she sunk at her moorings in Normanton Queensland, disintegrated and washed out to sea
LOUISA Owned by Honeyman & Sons. Plied trade to Ipswich and the Logan and Albert rivers and later into Moreton Bay. Sold to John Burke 1887. No other details known


James Canning Pierce, Brisbane-Ipswich J W Sutton & Co, Brisbane
Shipbuilder & Ship Owner
Ed Ed Ed Ed
EXPERIMENT
1832-48
....................
CANAIPA
1884-1909
....................
....................................
EXPERIMENT 37 gross tons. 80 tons deadweight. Lbd: 79'8" x 12'6" x 5'5". Paddle steamer built at Deptford Shipyard and launched on the Williams River New South Wales 1832 by Marshall and Lowe for Benjamin Boyd. When launched, the unusual vessel was propelled ‘by the rotary movement of four horses over paddlewheels’. This was not a success for a number of reasons which do not defy imagination. 1834 sold to Mr. Edye Manning who installed a steam engine. She worked at Parramatta from 1835. In June 1846 she was sent to Moreton Bay and was the first steamer to ply on the Brisbane River. Registered as owned by James Canning Pierce, she plied as far as Ipswich (in the Bremer) until foundering in the river January 1848. (Sank in the Brisbane River alongside the Queen’s Wharf early in the morning, 20 January 1848. Jack Loney notes that one version of her loss says she was never raised although her engine and boiler were salvaged and installed in the steamer Hawk. Another claims she was refloated, then sold in October to be broken up. Bateson confirms the second option, and suggests she was refloated and resumed her ferry service, but was sold on 16 October 1848 and broken up)
CANAIPA 161 gross tons, 109 net. Lbd: 120'4" x 20' x 6'4". Iron stern wheel paddle steamer, built and owned by J W Sutton & Co, Brisbane. Held compound horizontal surface condensing engine of 60 hp and ship registered at Brisbane. Desinged for the Brisbane River - Moreton Bay service and the Brisbane - Southport trade. 1886 lengthened to 152'5" x 20' x 6'4" with tonnage as 206 gross and 140 net. Sold August 1888 to the Newcastle Steam Ship Co., and registered at Newcastle NSW. Serviced the Hunter River trade in drogher capacity. June 1891 sold to Burns Phiklp & Co Ltd, Sydney who converted her into a lighter out of Townsville. 1909 register closed as 'Broken up' at Townsville




J Broadfoot & Sons Ltd, Townsville
Ed Ed Ed
COMUS
c 1923
GARTMORE
1923-1956
NELSON
c 1923
No images available
COMUS Owned by J Broadfoot 1923. Possibly a Ketch, built in Glasgow. More info to be uploaded
GARTMORE 339 tons. Lbd: 150' x 29' x 7'. Built 1894 by J Scott & Co Kinghorn and refitted 1923 by Poole & Steele, Sydney. Original name Gartmore original owners unknown. From refit in 1923 owners registered as J Broadford & Sons Ltd, Townsville Queensland. 1924 serviced Innisfail in the sugar trade. July 1926 purchased via liquidators of J Broadfoot & Sons (along with the steamer 'Tully') by the Adelaide Steamship Company and renamed Goondi. Sold 1956 renamed Goori and converted into a lighter registered at Maryborough Qld (Goondi- Aboriginal word for 'Bark shelter')
NELSON Purchased by J Broadfoot 1923. Probably the cargo steamship built by B Einerson, Sydney. 146 gross tons. Wooden hull.

Ed Ed Ed
RIPPLE
c 1923
SEYMOUR
c 1923
TULLY
1910-27
SEYMOUR image - Loading bananas at Maria Creek, Townsville district 1909 (24493) & TULLY image (32553p) courtesy State Library Queensland
RIPPLE
SEYMOUR
TULLY 115 gross tons. Wooden steamship built by D Sullivan, Manning River New South Wales for James Broadfoot of Townsville. Later J Broadfoot & Sons Ltd. Service speed of 7 knots. Purchased by the Adelaide Steamship Company (along with the steamer 'Goondi') in July 1926. Wrecked Johnstone River North Queensland 1st September, 1927


Keith Hollands Shipping Co Pty Ltd, Cairns
Ed Ed Ed Ed
KATOORA
1927-1987
EUROA
1950-80
....................
....................
EUROA image courtesy State Library Victoria
KATOORA 327 tons. Lbd: 135'3" x 26'2" x 8'7". Built G A Brown & Co Greenock, Glasgow. Cargo vessel of 8 knots and worked as a sugar carrier North Queensland coast. November 1942 under the United States Small Ships Command during WW2. Sold 1962 Keith Hollands Shipping Pty., Cairns. 1969 Mornington Island fisheries Pty Ltd Townsville, who converted her into a trawler 1968-9. and listed as 'condemned' in Lloyds Register - 1987
EUROA 584 gross tons, 264 net, 642 dwt. Lbd: 182"10" x 29'7" x 11'2". (55.7 x 9 metres) General cargo vessel built by Walkers Ltd., Maryborough for the Australian Shipping Board. February 1957 transferred to the Australian National Line. March 1965 sold to Keith Hollands Shipping Co Pty Ltd., Australia and renamed Maluka. January 1974 sold to Nuigini Pacific Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1975 sold to Seafreight Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. 1976 sold to Bishop Shipping Services Pty Ltd., Papua New Guinea. Reported stranded off Ragrave reef (9.41S/150.03.24E ) New Guinea, 1st June 1977. Refloated, towed to Lae, left at anchorage up until december 1980 and scrapped Salamaua Bay




TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-09 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved