FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

 

PAGE ONE
Single Voyage
A to Z
quick jump
Balmoral Castle
Canberra
Carpentaria
City of Karachi
Dorset
Dunluce Castle
Ellenga
Essex
Field Marshall
Gaika
Gracchus
Hawkes Bay
Indarra
Karoola
Katoomba
Mahana
Makarini
Malta
Pakeha
Port Darwin
Port Lyttleton
Port Napier
Port Nicholson
Ruahine
Wyreema
Zealandic





Flotilla Australia

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

of


HMAT
TRANPORT SHIPS
Hired Military Australian Transport

'SINGLE VOYAGE'
VARIOUS SHIPS
chartered as
TRANSPORT SHIPS

The Great European War
The Great War
World War 1
5th August 1914 - September 1918


*A Maritime Tribute*

NOTE: Not all militiary divisions, ranks, artilliery and others are listed per ship as per embarkation from the various Australian ports. To do so would create a page as voluminous as a book.
Information as a 'Factsheet' of a complete listing of Militiary Divisions as embarked on a given HMAT ship and, where practible, a photographic image or two can be made available upon request. see HMAT Ship Factsheet Webpage




PAGE 1
HMAT
A1 - A28
PAGE 1b
HMAT
A29 - A54
PAGE 1c
HMAT
A55 - A74
PAGE 2
HMNZT
New Zealand Transports
PAGE 3
RMS
Royal Mail Steamships
PAGE 5
Hospital Ships - All

PAGE 6
Anzac related postcards of the era




SINGLE VOYAGE CHARTERED STEAMSHIPS
Engaged for single voyages as required, some taking more than one contract in transporting troops of the First AIF





BALMORAL CASTLE

1910-39

13,361 gross tons. Lb: 180.1 x 19.7 x 9.6 metres (509'9" x 64'6" x 31'5"). Passenger steamship built 1909, completed 1910 by Fairfield Govan for Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company, London. Twin screw, 2 x Quadruple expansion engines making 16.5 knots and capable of more. 12.5000 ihp engines made by builder. Placed upon the South African Mail Service and, after only two voyages she was commissioned by the Admiralty to carry the Royal Family (Duke and Duchess of Connaught) for the inauguration of the Union of South Africa. For this one special trip she was painted white overall, apart from yellow funnels, flew the White Ensign and was manned with Royal Navy crew. At the beginning of the First World War she remained on the mail service but carried troops northbound to Europe. During March through to May 1915 she carried troops to the landings at Gallipoli

13 April 1918 as part of Convoy 39, departed Sydney with 7 AIF personnel and 73 Munitions workers. Had also embarked Medical Corps General Reinforcements and One Chaplain
2nd May 1918 departed NZ (Auckland or Wellington) with 437 military personnel
Likely convoy 39 commenced as a fleet at Albany Western Australia 8th May 1918
Post hostilities
Assisted in the repatriation of the Australian and American troops. She made two trips from Liverpool to New York on charter to Cunard in 1919 and then reverted to her normal mail service where she remained for the next twenty years. Scrapping began at Newport, Monmouthshire upon arrival 19 June 1939
image personal collection



CANBERRA

1913-59

Australian Steamships Ltd (Howard Smith & Sons) Melbourne. 1913 built as a coastal passenger steamship. Serviced Melbourne - North Queensland

1917 requisitioned as Australian Troopship. 16th October - 16th November 1917 refitted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 1080 troops
16 November 1917 at Sydney embarked 723 AIF personnel as:- 1st Field Artillery Brigade 32nd Reinforcements (part), 25th Infantry Battalion 21st Reinforcements, 1st Light Horse Regiment 33rd Reinforcements, 4th Light Horse Regiment 33rd Reinforcements, 6th Light Horse Regiment 33rd Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment 33rd Reinforcements, 12th Light Horse Regiment 23rd Reinforcements, Camel Reinforcements (part), 1st Field Squadron Engineers (August & September) Reinforcements, 1st Signal Squadron Engineers (August & September) Reinforcements, 1st to 4th Signal Troops (August & September) Reinforcements, Two Medical Officers (1 Major & 1 Captain), Dental Details, 6 miscellaneous, 2 Red Cross workers, 56 Nurses and Two Chaplains
23 November 1917 at Fremantle embarked 16th Infantry Battalion 27th Reinforcements, Railway Unit (November) Reinforcements, Medical Corps General Reinforcements, Dental Details, Nurses and One Chaplain
1918 of the 'flying convoy' transporting troops from Egypt to France
1920 returned to owners and peacetime services 1941 - 1947 requisitioned as military transport 1947 sold to Goulandris Bros, Greece 1954 renamed Espana 1954 from October 1959 scrapped in the Dominican Republic
6x4 inch postcard as modern production of 1926 painting by AV Gregory available for purchase



CARPENTARIA

1904-39

5766 gross tons. Lb: 133 x 16.2 metres. ID No: 1120471 Passenger/Cargo steamship (Refrigerated) built 1904 completed December that year by Dixon (Raylton), Middlesbrough for A Hughes (as Nominee for U.K. - Australia Freight Conference), London. When launched 13 August 1904 she was recorded as owned by the Gulf Line, Greenock and possibly named Gulf of Carpentaria either then or when initally on the stocks or back in 1901 when in blueprint design. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 12 knots. 1905 under ownership of British-India Line, Glasgow


7th November 1918 at Sydney embarked Army Pay Corps General Reinforcements (part), Staff Sergeant Dispensers (as One Staff Sergeant), Dental Details, Medical Corps General Reinforcements, One Medical Officer (Captain) and One Chaplain. (All subsequently recalled on 11th November 1918)

POST HOSTILITIES

1924 owned by Stefano Censini, Genoa and renamed VegaA

1925 owned by Comm. Andrea Zanchi, Genoa and renamed Mar Bianco. 1938 same owner, vessel renamed Capo Nord
1939 1st quarter scrapped in Italy
image in Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1919 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard



CITY OF KARACHI

1905-35

5547 gross tons. Lb: 126.1 x 15.7 metres. ID No: 1120846 Passenger/cargo steamship built 1905 by Workman Clark, Belfast for Ellerman Lines Ltd subsidiary as City Line (G.Smith), Liverpool. Single screw, quadruple expansion engine making 13 knots

30 November 1918 of Convoy 44 departed Melbourne with 12 AIF Officers, 4 Imperial Officers & 3 RAN personnel and Fifteen Medical Officers (Captains)
POST HOSTILITIES
1934 transferred to Ellerman Lines and renamed Karachi for voyage to Japan
31 January 1935 arrived at Yawata for scrapping purposes
image personal collection




DORSET

1903-27

7630 gross tons. Lb: 460' x 58' (140.2 x 17.7 metres). Passenger-cargo steamship (refrigerated) built 1903 by John Brown Clydebank for Birt, Trinder & Bethell, London. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. 1911 owned by Potter, Trinder & Gwyn, London. Generally accepted as being owned by Federal Steam Navigation Company as they held partial shareholdings in first named owners. 1912 saw New Zealand Shipping Company take over Federal S N Co however, left that as a separate shipping concern. 1916 saw P & O take over New Zealand Shipping Co but allowed continuity of that and Federal S N Co as separate shipping entities

21 July 1918 departed Sydney on single charter to Australian Government as an AIF Troopship
1921 ownership reverted to Federal Steam Navigation Company
25 January 1927 Arrived for Scrapping at Bothness
image in all grey wartime livery c1914-19 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard




DUNLUCE CASTLE

1904-45

8114 gross tons. Lb: 144.9 x 17.3 metres (475'5" x 56' 8"). Passenger/cargo steamship (Refrigerated) built 1904 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co Ltd (D.Currie), London. Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine making 14.5 knots
January 1910 undertook the first London-Cape-Delgoa Bay- Mombasa sailing

In August 1914 she became a troopship and took part in the famous six ship Union-Castle convoy which brought 4000 troops to Europe. She was commissioned as a hospital ship for 755 patients on 6th July 1915 and at Gallipoli and Mudros acted as transfer ship to White Star's Britannic before going to East Africa for duty with the Indian Government. In 1916 she was back in the Mediterranean for service which included voyages from the Adriatic to North Africa with wounded Serbs. On 23rd February 1917 she was stopped by a U-boat and after checking that she was complying with the Hague Convention was allowed to proceed

No Official Troop embarkations from Australia AIF related. May well have been recognised as an official requisition for Troop Transport back to Australia as she did in 1919. Listing kept here pending a new webpage on the ships that returned Australian & New Zealand Troops whether or not they were 'official' Transports

Serviced the Britain - South Africa Intermediate route until the outbreak of hostilities
Single charter data to follow
Became a Hospital Ship
13 May 1919 in convoy with Dongola and Shropshire arrived at Outer Harbour Port Adelaide with 78 returning AIF members
23 August 1919 in company with Morvada and Dongola arrived at Outer Harbour Port Adelaide with a total of 243 AIF members being landed from the three transports
Subsequent History:
Returned to commercial service on 2nd April 1919 and resumed her original run until 1931 when she was transferred to the Round Africa service. In July 1939 sold for breaking up but acquired by the Admiralty for use as an accommodation ship for small vessels first in the River Humber and then at Scapa Flow. She was finally broken up by T W Ward and Inverkeithing July 1945
image personal collection



ELLENGA
1911-48

5196 gross tons. Lb: 410' x 52'5" (125 x 16 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built 1911 by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow for British India Steam Navigation Company Glasgow. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 15 knots

1915-18 under 'single charter' to the Australian Government transported AIF Troops. Australian ports of call and dateline not stated in Official AIF Sea Transport Register. Likely transported horses and/or supplies only. Was a Troop Transport out of El Mina Wharf, Tripoli, Lebanon
Scrapped at Bombay 1948
image in light grey wartime livery available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard




ESSEX

Federal SN Co Ltd, London. 1902 built as a passenger-cargo steamship for this Company's service to Australia & New Zealand

28 September 1918 departed Sydney on a Single Voyage charter to the Australian Government, transported 7 Officers (Imperial) to Bombay and 2 RAN Officers

POST HOSTILITIES:
1927 sold to Cie Internationale de Commerce et d'Armement, Antwerp Belgium and renamed Van
18 January 1933 arrived at Bothness (P & W MacLellan Ltd) for scrapping
image in peacetime livery at Port melbourne available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard



FIELD MARSHALL

1903-47

6142 gross tons. Lb: 126.7 x 15.4 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built 1903 by Reiherstiegwerft, Hamburg as the Feldmarschallfor Deutsche Ost-Afrika Linie, Hamburg (Woermann Line). Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots
1916 captured at Dar-es-Salaam, placed under control of the British Admiralty and vessel operated by Union-Castle Mail SS Co, as the renamed Field Marshall


On single charter for the Commonwealth Government of Australia -
9 June 1918 departed Sydney with 1116 AIF, 3 miscellaneous & 7 Nurses as part of Convoy 40
1922 owned by Chunghwa Navigation Co, China and renamed Ling Nam
1928 owned by Ho Hong Steam Ship Co and renamed Hong Kheng
19 July 1947 wrecked 22.39N/115.34E
image shown as artist rendition as Feldmarschall, Real Photo image wanted



GAIKA

1908-29

Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co, London
Passenger-cargo steamship built 1898 for the Union Steamship Co, Southampton. 1899 of the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co


30 July 1918 on Single Charter to the Australian Government departed Sydney as part of Convoy 41 with 421 AIF personnel as Army Pay Corps General Reinforcements (part), Medical Corps General Reinforcements, Sea Transport Staff No 5 Section (part), Dental Details plus Staff In Charge of Italian Reservists as 173 'Italian Draft Reservists'
6th August 1918 at Adelaide embarked a further 286 AIF personnel as Army Pay Corps General Reinforcements (part), Two Chaplains embarked Adelaide, Medical Corps General Reinforcements, Dental Details & Four Medical Officers (1 Colonel, 1 Lieutenant-Colonel & 2 Majors) plus 7 'Italian Draft'. All bound for England
Subsequent History: - 1929 scrapped
image in Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1919 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard



GRACCHUS

British-India S N Co, London. 1902 built as a Passenger/cargo steamship for A Currie & Co, Melbourne. 1913 sold to British India S N Co, London


24 September 1916 departed Melbourne in Convoy 24 carrying personnel of the AIF in a 'Single Voyage' charter (not stated in official AIF records)
10 November 1917 at Melbourne embarked Melbourne Australian Remount Unit (India) (part) (not stated in official AIF records)
Both images in peactime livery & Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1919 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcards



HAWKES BAY

1912-43

10,641 gross tons. Lb: 149.4 x 18.7 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built by Workman & Clark, Belfast for the Tyser Line. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots
....................


October 1914 as HMNZT 09 departed Port Chalmers New Zealand with Otago Mounted Rifles Regt. (less 1 Squadron), Otago Infantry Battalion (2 Companies and Machine Gun Section) 40 Officers, Naval Transport Officer, Medical Officers, Chaplain. 930 Men and 569 Horses

23 October 1915 departed Sydney with the 1st Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 5th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 6th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements & 12th Reinforcements (part), 11th Light Horse Regimente 6th Reinforcements (part) & 7th Reinforcements (part), 12th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part) & 7th Reinforcements (part)
28 October 1915 departed Melbourne with the 3rd Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part), 8th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements (part), 9th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part), 11th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part) and the 13th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part)

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

FURTHER TRANSPORT VOYAGE - Single Charter
20 April 1916 departed Sydney with 9th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 12th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 15th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 47th Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements, 49th Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements and the 52nd Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements

1916 renamed Port Napier when taken over by Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd (Port Line)

As PORT NAPIER


17 November 1916 departed Sydney with 7th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 8th Infantry Battalione 22nd Reinforcements, 14th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 30th Infantry Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 33rd Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 34th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements and the 46th Infantry Battalione 7th Reinforcements

1936 owned by T & J Brocklebank Ltd and renamed Martland
1938 owned by A Zanchi and renamed Martano
1938 under same ownership renamed Mar Bianco
7th December 1943 bombed, sunk by aircraft at Zara

image as HMNZT 09 as a Modern reproduction of 1914 image at Wellington, New Zealand now available here as 6x4 inch postcard. Click on image for details



INDARRA

9,735 gross tons. Lbd: 451' x 60'1" x 37'4". Twin screw 2 funnel passenger ship built by W Denny & Bros., Dumbarton for Australasian United S N Co, Sydney. Carried 470 passengers

23 November 1917 departed Melbourne with 1 AIF Officer as part of Convoy 36
Post hostilities
Sold August 1920 to Lloyd Royal Belge, renamed Pays De Waes. Repossessed during 1923 by AUSN Co and sold to Osaka Shosen Kaisha, Japan. Renamed Horai Maru. Sunk in Sunda Strait by American aircraft 1st March 1942 at 5.56 S., 106.12 E
image pending



A63    KAROOLA

1909-37

Built as a passenger steamship for McIlwraith, McEacharn Co Pty Ltd, Melbourne
Operated out of the major ports around the Australian coast

May 1915 requisitioned as a Troop Transport given A63 as HMAT identification
12 June 1915 of Convoy 8 departed Brisbane with 381 AIF
16 June 1915 departed Sydney with 631 AIF as 1st Infantry Battalion 6th Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 6th Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 6th reinforcements & Medical Officers
25 June 1915 departed Fremantle with 204 AIF
August 1915 converted into a hospital ship
18 December 1915 of Convoy 16 departed Melbourne with 165 AIF and 69 Nurses
24 December 1915 departed Fremantle with 9 Nurses
7th March 1916 of Convoy 18 departed Melbourne with 245 AIF and 14 Nurses
14 March 1916 departed Fremantle with 52 AIF and 2 Nurses
20 May 1916 of Convoy 22 departed Sydney with 16 AIF, Medical Officers and 7 Nurses
26 May 1916 departed Melbourne with 72 AIF, Medical Officers and 16 Nurses
19 August 1916 of Convoy 24 departed Melbourne with 248 AIF and 45 Nurses
25 August 1916 departed Fremantle with 2 AIF Officers
9th December 1916 of Convoy 28 departed Melbourne with 92 AIF and 16 Nurses
25 April 1917 of Convoy 31 departed Melbourne with 95 AIF, Medical Officers and 50 Nurses
2nd May 1917 departed Fremantle with 2 AIF
7th September 1917 of Convoy 34 departed Melbourne with 24 AIF as 'ships staff'
23 January 1918 of Convoy 36 departed Melbourne with 91 AIF, 3 RAN and 19 Nurses
23 March 1918 of Convoy 38 departed Melbourne with 94 AIF, Medical Officers and 19 Nurses
12 June 1918 in 'Single Voyage' charter and of Convoy 40 departed Melbourne with 99 AIF, Medical Officers and 19 Nurses
18 September 1918 as Hospital Ship of Convoy 42 departed Melbourne with 93 AIF and 19 Nurses
24 September 1918 departed Fremantle with 1 AIF
Made 10 separate voyages out of Australia with Medical personnel



1919 returned to Australian coastal passenger services mostly on the East coast
1936 laid up in Sydney
1937 sold to Shanghai interests for scrapping
Upper left side image as A63 at Fremantle June 1915, upper right as Hospital ship at Port melbourne and lower right as a painting by A V Gregory, Melbourne- all available for purchase as a modern 6x4 inch postcards & larger prints. Click on image for details


KATOOMBA

Passenger liner built 1913 for McIlwraith-McEacharn Line, Melbourne. Serviced Australian coastal ports

Requisitioned by the Australian Commonwealth Government and on 25 May 1918 departed Melbourne for England with 1 AIF Officer as part of Convoy 40
image in Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1917-19 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard



MAHANA

1917 by Workman Clark, Belfast as a passenger/cargo steamship for Shaw, Savill & Albion Co Ltd, Southampton. 11,796 grodd tons, 7,509 net. Twin screw, 4 x Parsons geared turbines by builder, 6,000 SHP, 13 Knots. Passengers: 12 1st Class, 450 3rd Class. Launched 11th January 1917, completed July 1917

31 August 1918 as part of Convoy 42, departed Sydney with Three persons of Imperial ranks and Three persons as 'Indulgence'. All six were recorded as civilians Recorded as a ship of Single Charter voyage by the Commonwealth Government of Australia, there is as yet no record of what AIF troops she carried apart from 'Indulgence', a classification that yet remains unsolved. There is also the likelihood that she also carried supplies only

POST HOSTILITIES

26 September 1919, returning troops for Australia and New Zealand as well as 'War Brides' embarked at Devonport, England as third-class passengers. Some disembarked at Sydney on 12th November 1919, after an 8 week voyage. The Mahana was commonly referred to at the time as the “Bride Boat”, since many of it’s passengers were newlywed female post-war emigrants and their partners.

Serviced in convoys during WW2
image (reproduction) in peacetime livery c1919 at Wellington available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard



MAKARINI

1912-17

10624 gross tons. Lb: 149.4 x 18.7 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship, refrigerated, built 1912 Belfast by Workman & Clark for G D Tyser Line Ltd, London. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. ID No -1132703

30th - 6th September 1915 refitted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 1010 troops

10 July 1915 departed Melbourne with 1st Field Artillery Brigade 8th Reinforcements, & the 1st Divisional Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 8th Reinforcements
10 - 16 September 1915 departed Melbourne with 2nd Field Artillery Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 3rd Field Artillery Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 5th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements (part), 8th Infantry Battalion 9th Reinforcements, 12th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements (part), 14th Infantry Battalion 8th Reinforcements, 26th Infantry Battalion 3rd Reinforcements (part) & the 3rd Light Horse Regiment 9th Reinforcements (part)
1st April 1916 departed Sydney with 1st Infantry Battalion 16th Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 16th Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 16th Reinforcements & the 4th Infantry Battalion 16th Reinforcements
1916 taken over with fleet by Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) and renamed Port Nicholson

8 November 1916 departed Sydney with 1st Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 22nd Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 22nd Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 22nd Reinforcements, 4th Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 22nd Reinforcements & the 45th Infantry Battalion 12th Infantry Brigade 7th Reinforcements
15 January 1917 Mined and sunk 15 miles West of Dunkirk 51.02N/1.58E
image as an AIF Transport 10 Sept 1915 at Port Melbourne availabe as a Modern 6x4 inch postcard




MALTA (2)

1895-1922

6064 gross tons. Lb: 430' x 50' (131.1 x 15.3 metres). Passenger/cargo steamship built 1895 by Caird & Company Greenock for Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company, Greenock. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 14.5 knots

16 October 1918 departed Sydney with 289 AIF personnel and on 27 October 1918 departed Fremantle with 278 AIF personnel when under 'Single Voyage' charter to the Australian Government

Arrived at La Spezia 21 December 1922 for scrapping purposes
image in peacetime livery available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard




PAKEHA

8115 gross tons. Lb: 477 x 63 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship (refrigerated) built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Shaw Savill & Albion Line, London. Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine making 13 knots

TRANSPORT VOYAGES
initially as
HMNZT 65 & 82


25 September 1916 as HMNZT 65 departed New Zealand with (part) 17th Reinforcements NZ Expeditionary Force in conjunction with Devon HMNZT 64. Also carried 8th Reinforcements Maori Contingent, 11th Reinforcements 1st & 2nd Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade and 8th Reinforcements 3rd & 4th Battalion NZ Rifle Brigade. Combined total of troops aboard both vessels - 2,181. Troops aboard Pakeha under command of Captain Columb
19 November 1916 arrived at Devonport England

26 April 1917 as HMNZT 82 departed New Zealand with (part) 24th Reinforcements NNZ Expeditionary Force [roll No.59] in conjunction with Devon HMNZT 81. Total troop number across both vessels - 2,141. Troops aboard Pakeha under command of Major Murphy
28 July 1917 arrived at Devonport England

Post Hostilities

Resumed cargo services between England and New Zealand

1939 Acquired by the British Admiralty, converted to dummy 'lookalike' vessel of the HMS Revenge
1941 Renamed Empire Pakeha by Ministry of War Transport (MOWT) converted to cargo ship and managed by Shaw, Savill & Albion

Post Hostilities (WW2)

1946 Renamed Pakeha when handed back to Shaw, Savill & Albion Line. Converted into a meat storage hulk
1950 Scrapped Briton Ferry

images as both HMNZT 65 & 82 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcards




PORT DARWIN

1918 completed as a cargo steamship for the Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line, London)Twin screw making 14 knots

30 April 1918 departed Sydney with 493 AIF personnel
8th May 1918 departed Albany 233 AIF personnel
14 September 1918 in Convoy 42 departed Sydney with 389 AIF, 22 RAN, 1 Imperial staff and 2 New Zealand Chaplains
21 September 1918 departed Albany with 12 AIF & 1 Clerk for AIF
Post hostilities
Scrapped 1949
image in Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1919 available as a Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard




PORT LYTTELTON

1902-24

6444 gross tons. Lb: 137.2 x 16.8 metres. Cargo steamship (ref) built as the Niwaru 1902 by Workman Clark, Belfast for Tyser Line Ltd, London. Twin screw, triple expansion engines making 12 knots. 1914 fleet taken over by Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) name retained until 1916 when changed to Port Lyttelton


7th December 1916 as HMNZT 71 departed New Zealand with 20th Reinforcements NZ Expeditionary Force first draft and NZ Rifle Brigade 11th Reinforcement to 4th Battalion 18 February 1917 arrived at Plymouth England 24 June 1918 departed Sydney with 104 AIF personnel under Single Charter to Australian Government

POST HOSTILITIES

10 October 1924 scrapping began at Genoa (L.E.Conti), after stranding damage
both images in Dazzle paint at Port Melbourne c1917-19 available as Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcards




PORT NAPIER

1912-43

10,641 gross tons. Lb: 149.4 x 18.7 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship built as the Hawkes Bay by Workman & Clark, Belfast for the Tyser Line. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots

October 1914 as Hawkes Bay - HMNZT 09 departed Port Chalmers with Otago Mounted Rifles Regt. (less 1 Squadron) Otago Infantry Battalion (2 Companies and Machine Gun Section) 40 Officers, Naval Transport Officer, Medical Officers, Chaplain. 930 Men and 569 Horses

1st November 1914 assembled with the first convoy at King George's Sound, Albany Western Australia in transporting the First Detachment of the Australian and New Zealand Imperial Expeditionary Forces

23 October 1915 as Hawkes Bay departed Sydney with 1st Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 5th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 6th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements, 7th Light Horse Regiment 11th Reinforcements & 12th Reinforcements (part), 11th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part) & 7th Reinforcements (part) and the 12th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part) & 7th Reinforcements (part)

28 October 1915 as Hawkes Bay under 'single charter' to Australian Government, departed Melbourne with 3rd Light Horse Regiment 1st Light Horse Brigade 11th Reinforcements (part), 8th Light Horse Regiment 3rd Light Horse Brigade 11th Reinforcements (part) & 12th Reinforcements (part), 9th Light Horse Regiment 3rd Light Horse Brigade 11th Reinforcements (part), 11th Light Horse Regiment 4th Light Horse Brigade 6th Reinforcements (part), 13th Light Horse Regiment 6th Reinforcements (part)

FURTHER TRANSPORT VOYAGE - Single Charter

20 April 1916 under 'single charter' to Australian Government departed Sydney with 9th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 12th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 15th Infantry Battalion 17th Reinforcements, 47th Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements, 49th Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements and the 52nd Infantry Battalion 2nd Reinforcements

1916 taken over by Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd (Port Line) and renamed Port Napier

as PORT NAPIER

17 November 1916 under 'single charter' departed Sydney with 7th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 8th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 14th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 30th Infantry Battalion 10th Reinforcements, 33rd Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements, 34th Infantry Battalion 5th Reinforcements and the 46th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements

Post Hostilities

1936 owned by T & J Brocklebank Ltd and renamed Martland
1938 owned by A Zanchi and renamed Martano
1938 under same ownership renamed Mar Bianco
7th December 1943 bombed, sunk by aircraft at Zara

image available as Modern digital 6x4 inch Photo Postcard. Click on image for details


PORT NICHOLSON

10624 gross tons. Lb: 149.4 x 18.7 metres. Passenger/cargo steamship, refrigerated, built 1912 Belfast by Workman & Clark for G D Tyser Line Ltd, London as Makarini. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. ID No -1132703

10 July 1915 departed Melbourne with 1st Field Artillery Brigade (formed New South Wales) 1st Division Artillery 8th Reinforcements & the 1st Division Ammunition Column 1st Division Artillery 8th Reinforcements

10 September 1915 departed Melbourne with 2nd Field Artillery Brigade 1st Division Artillery 8th Reinforcements, 3rd Field Artillery (Army) Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 5th Infantry Battalion 2nd Infantry Brigade 8th Reinforcements (part), 8th Infantry Battalion 2nd Infantry Brigade 9th Reinforcements, 12th Infantry Battalion 3rd Infantry Brigade 8th Reinforcements (part), 14th Infantry Battalion 4th Infantry Brigade 8th Reinforcements, 26th Infantry Battalion 7th Infantry Brigade 3rd Reinforcements (part) & the 3rd Light Horse Regiment 1st Light Horse Brigade 9th Reinforcements (part)

1st April 1916 departed Sydney with 1st Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 16th Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 16th Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 16th Reinforcements & the 4th Infantry Battalion 1st Infantry Brigade 16th Reinforcements

1916 taken over with fleet by Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) and renamed Port Nicholson

8th November 1916 at Sydney embarked the 1st Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 2nd Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 3rd Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 4th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements, 13th Infantry Battalion 22nd Reinforcements & the 45th Infantry Battalion 7th Reinforcements. A total of 1,017 Officers & Troops as part of Convoy 26

15 January 1917 Mined and sunk 15 miles West of Dunkirk 51.02N/1.58E
image as AIF Troopship departing Sydney 1916 available as a Modern 6x4 inch postcard



RUAHINE

10758 gross tons. Lb: 480'6" x 60'4" (146.5 x 18.4 metres). Passenger/cargo (refrigerated) steamship built 1909 by William Denny & Brothers, Dumbarton for New Zealand Shipping Co Ltd, Plymouth. Twin screw, triple expansion engine making 15 knots. IDNo: 1124582

Australian Govt Single Voyage charter troop Transport data to be added
18 August 1917 as HMNZT 92 departed New Zealand with (part) 29th Reinforcements NZ Expeditionary Force [roll No.70] - in conjunction with Mokoia (HMNZT 91) and the 21st Reinforcements Maori Contingent. Troops aboard Ruahine under command of Captain T M Charters
2nd October 1917 arrived at Glasgow
17 August 1918 as HMNZT 110 departed New Zealand with 43rd Reinforcements NZ Expeditionary Force (1st draft) and the 27th reinforcements Maori Contingent. A total of 520 troops under command of Lieutenant Colonel D Colquhoun
31 August 1918 under 'single charter' to the Australian Government, departed Fremantle with 3 AIF troops as part of Convoy 41
29 October 1918 arrived at London
1949 sold to Ragruppamento Armatore Fratelli Grimaldi, Naples (Grimaldi Bros). Renamed Auriga and extensively rebuilt at Genoa to carry emigrants to South America
1953 transferred to Fratelli Grimaldi, Naples
Scrapped at Savona March 1957
image personal collection




WYREEMA

6,338 gross tons. Lbd: 400'4" x 54'2" x 30'6". Passenger vessel built by Alexander Stephen & Sons of Glasgow in 1908 for the Australasian United S N Co Ltd, Sydney. She served on the east coast Trunk Route from Melbourne to Cooktown until 1925

4th September - 14th October 1918 refitted at Cockatoo Island Drydock, Sydney to transport 926 troops

14 October 1918 as part of Convoy 43 departed Sydney with 709 AIF, 2 miscellaneous & 40 Nurses
22 October 1918 departed Fremantle with 2 AIF

Post hostilities

Unable to run profitably against rail competition she was laid up in September 1925 pending sale. No buyer came forward and she returned to her old route 10 months later. Shortly afterwards an offer was received and accepted from Lloyd Braziliero in July 1926. She was renamed Pedro 1 and sailed for Rio de Janiero. 1935 renamed Dom Pedro 1 by same owners. She plied the South American coast until 1958 when broken up at Rio De Janeiro
image personal collection



ZEALANDIC

10,898 gross tons, 6973 net, 10560 dwt. Lb: 145.5 x 19.2 metres. Passenger steamship built 1911 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Oceanic S N Co Ltd (Ismay, Imrie aka White Star Line) London. Twin screw, quadruple expansion engine making 13 knots. 30 October 1911 maiden voyage from Liverpool to Wellington

22 January 1913 departed Wellington with a then new tonnage record of wool for England. Later 1913 chartered by the West Australian Government as an Immigrant Carrier. 2nd July 1915 pursued by enemy submarine U39 but her speed allowed her to escape unharmed
July 1917 - June 1919 operated under the 'Liner Requisition Scheme' between Australia and England


4th October 1918 departed Melbourne with 114 AIF personnel in Convoy 42

Post hostilities

15 June 1919 returned to owners as White Star Line and resumed her trade to Wellington, this time via Panama Canal
1926 Taken over by G Thompson & Co (Aberdeen Line) operated under Aberdeen - White Star Line and renamed Mamilius
1934 transferred to Shaw Savill & Albion and renamed Mamari. (third vessel to carry name for Shaw Savill)
1939 under control of British Admiralty, converted into 'dummy' lookalike HMS Hermes class Aircraft Carrier
2nd June 1941 stranded, beached off Cromer after hitting a submerged wreck. At the time she was making for Chatham Docks for re-conversion into passenger-cargo vessel when she was attacked by German Aircraft
4th June 1941 torpedoed 53.22.30N/1.00.2E by German E-Boat
image personal collection




TOP of PAGE HOME!



2007-18 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla-Australia
All Rights Reserved