FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

Port Australia

FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA
of


Lesser known fleets and individual owners registered in and operating out of ports of

TASMANIA

Known as Van Diemans Land and settlement began from 1804 while being part of the state of New South Wales. 1856 saw self government and official name as Tasmania

J Black, Hobart Daniel Brown, Hobart Derwent Steam Navigation Co, Hobart D & J Bryan, Launceston R Cleburne, Hobart L Cohen (Coen), Launceston
Cummings, Henry & Co., River Don East Coast Steam Navigation Company Eastern Steam Navigation Co., Hobart S Frankel, Launceston R Gardner & W A Gardner, Launceston M L Goodwin, Launceston
W A Guesdon & Partners, Hobart Haller
F Haller, Hobart Town
S H Hammond, Tasmania H Hart & Partner, Launceston H Heather, Tasmania Cummings, Henry & Co., River Don
Hobart Town, Launceston & Port Phillip Company Hobart S N & Trading Co D Hoy, Port Arthur Tasmania Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart Hydro-Electric Commission of Tasmania G M Jackson, Launceston
Rae, Kerr & others, Hobart Kerr & Partners, Hobart Launceston and Bridport Steam Navigation Co Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co Launceston and North West S N Co Launceston Steam Navigation Co
Captain Lawrence S J Lindsay, Hobart William Lyons, Hobart Andrew MacDowell, Hobart E T Miles & Partners T Nicols, Hobart Rae, Kerr & others, Hobart
Victor C Reeves, Hobart J Reid, Hobart Town T A Reynolds Roops & Brown., Hobart William Rout, Hobart
William ROUT & Partners
James Rowe & Sons Ltd, Hobart J Sayer, Tasmania L W Smith Pty Ltd, Launceston Tamar Steam Navigation Co, Launceston J Thompson, Launceston T Thompson, Hobart
T Thompson, & Daniel Brown, Hobart Dr. Alexander Thomson, Hobart Town S Tulloch, Tasmania United Steam Ship Co Ltd., Launceston G W Walker, Hobart Town
John Williams, Launceston J Wright, Hobart Town William Wright, Launceston .................. ..................


First known shipping concerns were Derwent Steam Navigation Co, which ran ferries across the river at Hobart. The Tamar Steam Navigation Co, listed below, didn't last long and a concern named Hobart Town, Launceston & Port Phillip Company also had a brief existence. The Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company of Hobart (see separate webpage) began in 1845 and was a leading concern operating ships between Tasmania and the mainland. Many individuals since created and re-created shipping companies, seemingly floating in and out of business ventures as it suited them. Where some the individual owners as listed below 'floated' in and out of these companies, accuracy of true ownership and company association is difficult for any maritime accuracy.
Latter years saw but a few concerns command Tasmanian coastal and Bass Strait services with expertise, namely Tasmanian Steamers Pty Ltd and William Holyman & Sons. (both with separate webpages) The latest and current shipping concern is the TT Line (see separate webpage) running a regular passenger service across Bass Strait


Dr. Alexander Thomson of Hobart Town Wright & Thomson, Hobart Town J Wright of Hobart Town
Ed Ed Ed Ed
SURPRISE
1831-34
GOVERNOR ARTHUR
1832-
WILLIAM MISKIN
1852-68
DERWENT
1864-1915
SURPRISE Launched 31st March 1831 at the yards of Mr. Millard at Neutral Bay, Sydney. Paddle steamer first ever constructed in Australia. Ten horsepower high pressure steam engine. Maiden voyage on Sydney harbour May 25th, 1831. Placed upon the Sydney - Parramatta River to Parramatta 'ferry' service soon after. Not too successful and was sold in January 1832 to Dr. Alexander Thomson of Hobart Town and arrived there under 'sail' power only. With her paddlewheels refitted, she worked the Hobart - Kangaroo Point Tasmania ferry service, at times taking in New Norfolk. Sold 1834 to unknown. According to Dickson-Gregory (esteemed Australian Maritime Researcher) she was cut down and altered after having her engines removed. As a topsail schooner, she traded between the Channel Ports and Hobart for a few years under her original name. Later went to Melbourne and renamed Anna Jane, becoming a 'lighter' until eventually broken up. Exact date unknown
GOVERNOR ARTHUR Built Britain and assembled on the banks of the Derwent River after transhipment in sections on the barque Platina in 1832. Built for Dr Alexander Thomson, Hobart Town and as a paddle steamer, commenced services along the Derwent River with her fleetmate Surprise. October 1833 was despatched to Launceston, becoming the first 'steam' vessel to ply the coast of Tasmania. Sold 1834 to unknown. Fate unknown. Dr. Thomson left for the Australian mainland, to the place now known as Melbourne. Eventually settled at Geelong, becoming the first Mayor of that town in 1850
WILLIAM MISKIN 124 gross tons, 74 net. Lbd: 100'6" x 17'6" x 9'9". Iron hulled steamship built by William Pimm, Hull for H C Cheesewright & W T Miskin, registered London. ON32479 Compounded engine, 30 horsepower. 1853 of Pegler & Co acting as trustees for the NSW Coal & Intercolonial S N Co. She ran from Sydney to Morpeth until that owner dissolved under a welter of accusations of improper business practices by 'some' of the directors. 1854 owned by J C Rossiter & Partners. Sydney. November 1854 ran regularly from Sydney - Maryborough - and Port Curtis (modern day Gladstone) in a passenger-cargo capacity. Found unprofitable, she was sent to Tasmania under the banner of Eastern Steam Navigation Co, operating locally. In January 1856, rescued crew from brigantine 'Catherine' wrecked off Goose Island Bass Strait, taking then to Hobart. Sold February 1856 to Wright & Thomson, registered Hobart. They went bankrupt in attempting to establish a regular Tasmanian coastal steamer service. May 1858 sold to Andrew MacDowell, Hobart. 23 October 1858 arrived Sydney from Port of Melbourne with approx 80 passengers and 20 crew. Burthen 74 tons under Captain Lovett. June 1859 jointly purchased by Howard Smith and Partners and placed upon the Melbourne - Geelong service with runs to Port Albert and the western districts of Victoria in direct competition with S G Henty's vessels. August 1861 Smith's share sold to S B Skinner & others, Melbourne. W H Smith set out for England with a view to purchasing larger vessels for the Australian trade. July 1862 of A Kerr and Partners. March 1863 of W Simpson and Partners. July 1863 owned by T Jenner and Partners, registered Dunedin. later 1863 owned by J B Godfrey (Oamaru). 1867 owned by R B Martin. February 4 1868 wrecked, driven ashore at Timaru New Zealand with the loss of one life.
DERWENT Iron steamer, 478 gross tons, 351 net. Lbd: 196' x 25'3" x 13'3". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow as a 3 masted barquentine ship and of a 2 cylinder engine producing 120 horsepower. First recorded owner J Alexander, London. During 1864 owned by J Wright, registered at Hobart Town, Tasmania. December 1864 owned by W Rout & Partners. October 1867 owned by Tasmanian S N Co, who continued her on the Bass Strait run. March 1879 owned by Howard Smith & Partners as Melbourne Steamship Co. Melbourne. Placed upon the Northern Queensland run ex Sydney. December 1883 of W H Smith & Sons Ltd. Employed on the western coastal districts of Victoria. 1891 re-engined, compounded producing 96 hp. July 1901 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1909 gross tonnage now measured at 459. 1913 of Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. October 1815 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1915-16 converted into a hulk and employed in North Queensland. 1925 scuttled off Townsville, Queensland


LAUNCESTON Steam Navigation Company
J Crookes & others, (G Fisher)
registered Launceston Tasmania
1853-57
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BLACK SWAN
1853-80
CLARENCE
1851-72
LADYBIRD
1851-80's
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
BLACK SWAN (108456p) image courtesy State Library Queensland
ROYAL SHEPHERD image courtesy State Library Victoria
BLACK SWAN 257 gross tons, 146 net. Lbd: 136'3" x 19'6" x 11'6". Iron steamship, 2 cylinders of 60 horsepower with 2 masts as schooner rigged. Built by Blackwood and Gordon, Paisley Glasgow for J Colquhoun of Glasgow. Sold February 1854 to Launceston Steam Navigation Co (for 12,500 pounds). Sold June 1957 to Launceston & Melbourne S N Co., Launceston who had her lengthened to be 157'6" x 20'5" x 11'4" and of 283 gross tons. July 1866 sold to W A Guesdon & Partners (they traded as Launceston Steam Company and variables of that name). As she had for the previous decade, she was regular on the Bass Strait run when collided with the Paddle steamer Luna in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria and sank. Raised, repaired and under the ownership of a C D Fonces, registered at Melbourne and purchased July 1868 by Australasian S N Co. Placed on most of their passenger services, she was also lengthened in 1874 to be of 309 gross tons and 210 net, whilst her dimensions became 174' x 20'5" x 11'4". Broken up November 1880
CLARENCE 346 gross tons, 214 net. Lbd: 150'8" x 22'5" x 11'1". Iron paddle steamer passenger capacity, built by John Laird, Birkenhead for J Thacker & Partners (who intended to form the Clarence S N Co) but upon arrival changed plans. Claiming she was too deep for the river, she was sent to the Hunter river for sale. September 1852 bought by A Rose of Launceston who, with others, formed the Launceston Steam Navigation Company in 1853. She was enrolled under that Company name in March of that year and worked the Bass Strait run. Sold January 1857 by ASN Co for their Sydney - Queensland run, being lengthened November 1862 as 377 gross tons and Lbd: 176'9" x 23'2" x 10'8". Wrecked 1st June 1872 off Port Macquarie New South Wales
LADYBIRD 248 gross tons, 176 net. Lbd: 153'7" x 21'3" x 10'8". Iron steamship of 2 cylinder engines producing 90 horsepower as built by W Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for H P Maples & Co., London. Arrived in the colonies of Australia during 1853 and J Cowie & Partners (Geelong S N Co., Geelong) quickly purchased her for their Geelong - Launceston run. Passengers for Launceston from Melbourne were transported to Geelong via the Duncan Hoyle and the Keera. Sold May 1855 to J Crookes & others, who traded as the Launceston S N Co., Launceston Tasmania. May 1856 sold to Green & Cleveland. November 1856 owned by S G Henty registered at Melbourne. About this time her superstructure was added to, changing her tonnage to be 431 gross and 287 net. S G Henty had intended her for the Melbourne - Port Adelaide passenger trade stopping at various minor ports along the western coast of Victoria. Made one run to Albany Western Australia on a mail run, but found too small. Sold to to New Zealand interests October 1864. During the 1880's she was hulked and her hull was sunk by gunfire from H M S Challenger in Cook Strait New Zealand 1905
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (after mizzen mast removed and main mast moved further forward late 1865) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853 for Major & Co of Greenock 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost


G Fisher and Partners
traded as
LAUNCESTON and MELBOURNE Steam Navigation Company
Formed July 1857 taking over the remaining assets of the Launceston S N Co.
Taken over by the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Company in 1866
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BLACK SWAN
1853-80
HAVILAH
1853-1900
CITY OF LAUNCESTON
1863-65
ROYAL SHEPHERD
1853-90
BLACK SWAN (ahead of the Kate) image courtesy State Library Queensland
ROYAL SHEPHERD image courtesy State Library Victoria
BLACK SWAN 257 gross tons, 146 net. Lbd: 136'3" x 19'6" x 11'6". Iron steamship, 2 cylinders of 60 horsepower with 2 masts as schooner rigged. Built by Blackwood and Gordon, Paisley Glasgow for J Colquhoun of Glasgow. Sold February 1854 to Launceston Steam Navigation Co (for 12,500 pounds). Sold June 1957 to Launceston & Melbourne S N Co., Launceston who had her lengthened to be 157'6" x 20'5" x 11'4" and of 283 gross tons. July 1866 sold to W A Guesdon & Partners (they traded as Launceston Steam Company and variables of that name). As she had for the previous decade, she was regular on the Bass Strait run when collided with the Paddle steamer Luna in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria and sank. Raised, repaired and under the ownership of a C D Fonces, registered at Melbourne and purchased July 1868 by Australasian S N Co. Placed on most of their passenger services, she was also lengthened in 1874 to be of 309 gross tons and 210 net, whilst her dimensions became 174' x 20'5" x 11'4". Broken up November 1880
HAVILAH 301 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 151' x 22' x 13'4". Iron steamship, 2 cylinder making 55 horsepower and schooner rigged of 3 masts. Built by C Mitchell & Co., Low Walker Tyne for Charles & J F Bowman of South Australia, and Hugh McMeckan - Master Mariner in partnership. Serviced the Melbourne and Adelaide in 1854 as a passenger vessel under agency of this concern, their first managed vessel. Owners since: May 1858 Samuel White, reg., Port Adelaide. June 1861 G Fisher & Partners who traded as Launceston & Melbourne S N Co of Launceston, Tasmania. July 1866 W A Guesdon & Partners reg., Hobart. October 1867 Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. May 1868 Mort & McArthur reg., Sydney. November 1869 ASN Co., Sydney. November 1873 French owners at Noumea. July 1878 J C Lloyd reg Sydney and November 1884 Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co. With her return to Australian registry from Noumea, she was converted into a collier by either J C Lloyd or ensuing purchaser and was converted into a hulk prior to 1900, effectively ending her status as a ship per se. Records state she was broken up in 1911. Havilah means "Land of Gold"
CITY OF LAUNCESTON 368 gross tons, 138 net. Lbd: 197'2" x 24'4" x 11'7". Iron steamship, passenger - cargo as built by Blackwood & Gordon, Port Glasgow for G Fisher & Partners, Launceston (trading as Launceston & Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Of a 2 cylinder engine producing 80 horsepower. Operated between Melbourne and Tasmania until sunk in a collision in Port Phillip Bay, Victoria with the inbound steamship Penola. This happening on the evening of November 19th 1865, in calm conditions. All passengers and crew were safely transferred to the Penola before the City of Launceston stood on end and sank, leaving only the topgallant mast visible above the waterline. Found at fault, uninsured and losing a resultant litigation battle, this concern folded, selling out to the Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co., Hobart
ROYAL SHEPHERD 265 gross tons, 184 net. Lbd: 148'1" x 19'8" x 10'5". Re-measured July 1857 (presumably when bowsprit removed etc) as 331 gross tons, 245 net. Lbd: 139'9" x 19'8" x 10'5". (42 metres long and 6 metres wide). Built by Blackwood & Gordon at Paisley, Scotland, in 1853. 3 masts and an oscillating engine producing 60 horsepower. Passenger vessel accomodating 60. Owned in 1854 by the Launceston Steam Navigation Co., registered in Launceston. July 1857 owned by G Fisher & Partners (Launceston and Melbourne Steam Navigation Co). Intended for the Bass Strait run, she had little success, and was sold December 1864 to Joseph Darwent of Port Adelaide. Has one mast removed 1866 and sold to Andrew Tennant & Others, Adelaide. Sold again in December 1876 to Spencer's Gulf S S Co, working the Spencer Gulf in South Australia even with the takeover/merger by Adelaide Steamship Co., Adelaide. H.J. Cattanach, W.A. Firth, and T. Elder have all been named by various sources as having ownership during her South Australia career. October 1885 sold to J Warburton and Son of Pyrmont, Sydney. Another source states J Mitchell, Sydney as owner from October 1885. (Comes across as a ship with a name that many wanted ownership of) Intended as a collier but found other work until converted into a collier October 1889. Was towing a sailing ship to Wollongong when she sank after collision the steamship Hesketh 14th july 1890 off Sydney Heads. No lives lost


EAST COAST Steam Navigation Company T NICHOLS
Hobart
Lewis Cohen (Coen) & William Wright, Launceston
Ed Ed Ed
FENELLA
1846-62
BEAUTIFUL STAR
1862-1907
ANNIE
1866-1956
FENELLA image courtesy Clarence Historical Society
FENELLA 261 gross tons, 179 net. Lbd: 159'4" x 19'3" x 11'1". Iron paddle steamer2 cylinder engines making 110 horsepower. 2 masts, schooner rigged, passenger carrying capacity. Built Liverpool 1846, for J Laidley of Preston. March 1850 owned by T Kemp, registered Fleetwood and later at London England. Arrived Australian shores late 1854 seeking a buyer. Worked the Portland - Warrnambool trade Victoria then in 1855 plied the Port Albert trade. July 1855 chartered to the East Coast S N Co (Tasmania) with option to purchase. She was found too expensive/unsuitable and returned to owners November 1855. Did a number of voyages from Melbourne to Hobart and Launceston until acquired and registered at Sydney 1856 for Hunter River New S N Co. Worked the Sydney - Hunter River trade until 1859 when tried unsuccessfully on a Grafton - Brisbane route. 1859 owned by T Sullivan. September 1859 sold to Jones & Sharpe (trustees for the Grafton S N Co). June 1860 of the Clarence & Richmond River S N Co. Sold to Shanghai interests in February 1862. Records end
BEAUTIFUL STAR 156 gross tons. Length 37 metres. IDNo: 1043602 Launched 19 December 1861. Single screw steamship. Speed 8.5 knots. Passengers 38. Iron hulled steamship built-completed 1862 by J Wigham Richardson at Low Walker on Tyne Northumberland. Visited Illawarra New South Wales 1862 taking coal. Possibly built for the Harbour Steam Company of New Zealand. Serviced the New Zealand coast particularly Oamaru and Dunedin. 1875 Harbour Steam Co taken over by Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. 1899 sold to Tasmanian owners (read: T Nichols) Hobart. Destroyed by fire at Hobart 25 December 1907 & consequentially broken up
ANNIE 43 gross tons, 27 net. on53979. Wooden Paddle Steamship built and owned by J Sinclair at Yarra Bank Victoria. Ship registered at Melbourne 1867. Lbd 76' x 13'6" x 6.3". Held a 2 cylinder oscillating engine of 25 horsepower as constructed by Napier & Co, Glasgow. Owner intended vessel for the Schnapper Point - Dromana trade, and ran trials January 26th 1867 or 68. October 1868 owned by S Frankel, Launceston who intended her for use as a tug (which proved unsuccessful). March 1869 owned by Lewis Cohen (some say Coen) and William Wright, Launceston Tasmania. December 1871 owned by W Holyman and J Sayer. September 1873 owned by J M Sinclair (ship's builder although more likely owned by or in conjunction with Captain Irving, Port Darwin, with vessel registered Port Adelaide. At this point Darwin was under South Australia jurisdiction and vessel was placed upon the Darwin - Cooktown service at the height of the 'Palmer' goldrush. 1875 owned by Clifton & Alpin, Townsville with vessel's registry at Sydney. March 1880 given new steam engine and boiler and converted to single screw by J Sinclair, Melbourne. April 1881 owned by William Villiers Brown, Townsville. February 1884 owned by George Smith, Mackay with registry at Brisbane. No details since and register finally closed 1956 as 'No trace of vessel'.


LAUNCESTON and BRIDPORT Steam Navigation Company
registered Launceston Tasmania
LAUNCESTON and NORTH WEST Steam Navigation Company
Tasmania
Ed Ed Ed Ed
DORSET
1883-1917
....................
DEVON
1876-94
....................
DORSET image courtesy Devonport Maritime Museum
DORSET 61 gross tons, 20 net. 82'1" x 17'4" x 6'9". Wooden steamship built by W Knight at Yarrabank Melbourne Victoria for the Launceston and Bridport Steam Navigation Co., Launceston. Compounded engine producing 30 horsepower. Worked out of Launceston to minor Tasmanian ports and as far as Strahan. Sold August 1884 to United Steamship Co Ltd. Remeasured to be 79 gross tons, 47 net with Lbd: 83' x 17'8" x 8'6". Sold September 1894 to W Holyman & Sons, Melbourne. 1896 lengthened to become 103'2" x 17'5" x 8'5" with tonnage of 105 gross and 45 net. Sold December 1907 to New Zealand interests, at some stage becoming a lighter and wrecked on 17th August off Kai-iwi, Wanganui New Zealand

DEVON 191 gross tons, 130 net. Lbd: 123'7" x 19'4" x 9'5". Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley for S Tulloch of Launceston. Held a compounded engine producing 50 horsepower. August 1876 owned by W Hart & Partners. May 1884 owned by Launceston & North West Coast S N Co Ltd. August 1888 owned by United Steamship Co Ltd. Serviced the Tasmanian coastal ports all her life until December 19th, 1894 when wrecked upon the bar at Macquarie Heads Tasmania. Although she floated free, her propellor broke away and she was driven ashore and totally wrecked



EASTERN STEAM Navigation Co, Hobart DERWENT & HUON Steam Navigation Co, Hobart
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MIMOSA
1854-63
WILLIAM MISKIN
1852-68
CULLODEN
1854-71
....................
MIMOSA image courtesy State Library Tasmania
MIMOSA 163 gross tons, 105 net. Lbd: 140'6" x 17'9" x 9'. Iron paddle steamer built by Hoby & Co., Renfrew as a passenger - cargo vessel for unknown owners. Held a trunk type engine producing 60 horsepower. Arrived at Hobart Tasmania December 1854. 1855 owned by the Eastern S N Co., Hobart. Intended for coastal services from Hobart but proved not very successful and sold January 1858 to Edye Manning, Sydney. Sold in February 1861 to Illawarra S N Co and placed on the Clyde River run. At that time the Kiandra goldrush was in effect however it quickly petered out and she was despatched to trade out of Port Macquarie. Lengthened early 1863 as: 162'9" x 17'9" x 9". Switching trades she worked the Sydney - merimbula route until wrecked 9th September, 1863 on a rock north of Tathra new South Wales, that rock which today bears her name
WILLIAM MISKIN 124 gross tons, 74 net. Lbd: 100'6" x 17'6" x 9'9". Iron hulled steamship built by William Pimm, Hull for H C Cheesewright & W T Miskin, registered London. ON32479 Compounded engine, 30 horsepower. 1853 of Pegler & Co acting as trustees for the NSW Coal & Intercolonial S N Co. She ran from Sydney to Morpeth until that owner dissolved under a welter of accusations of improper business practices by 'some' of the directors. 1854 owned by J C Rossiter & Partners. Sydney. November 1854 ran regularly from Sydney - Maryborough - and Port Curtis (modern day Gladstone) in a passenger-cargo capacity. Found unprofitable, she was sent to Tasmania under the banner of Eastern Steam Navigation Co, operating locally. In January 1856, rescued crew from brigantine 'Catherine' wrecked off Goose Island Bass Strait, taking then to Hobart. Sold February 1856 to Wright & Thomson, registered Hobart. They went bankrupt in attempting to establish a regular Tasmanian coastal steamer service. May 1858 sold to Andrew MacDowell, Hobart. 23 October 1858 arrived Sydney from Port of Melbourne with approx 80 passengers and 20 crew. Burthen 74 tons under Captain Lovett. June 1859 jointly purchased by Howard Smith and Partners and placed upon the Melbourne - Geelong service with runs to Port Albert and the western districts of Victoria in direct competition with S G Henty's vessels. August 1861 Smith's share sold to S B Skinner & others, Melbourne. W H Smith set out for England with a view to purchasing larger vessels for the Australian trade. July 1862 of A Kerr and Partners. March 1863 of W Simpson and Partners. July 1863 owned by T Jenner and Partners, registered Dunedin. later 1863 owned by J B Godfrey (Oamaru). 1867 owned by R B Martin. February 4 1868 wrecked, driven ashore at Timaru New Zealand with the loss of one life
CULLODEN 147 gross tons, 75 net. Lb: 145' x 16'5". Iron Paddle Steamer & Tug built by Caird & Company Greenock. Engines by Shipbuilder. Propulsion: L1cy steeple 60 nhp 13kn. Owners; G & J Burns Ltd Glasgow. 1846 Glasgow & Liverpool Steam Shipping Co. 1851 H P Maples (Maples & Morris), London. 1852 William Denny & Bros, Glasgow. November 1853 arrived Hobart from England under sail, ownership being of the 1853 Derwent & Huon Steam Navigation Co., Hobart. Refitted during 1853-53 to be 151 gross tons, 81 net. 1866 E T Beiby, Sydney New South Wales. 1866 R Whittaker & John Broomfield. 1871 M Johnston. 28th April 1871 wrecked in Richmond River, New South Wales



ROOPS & BROWN, HOBART W BROWN Jnr, HOBART James Rowe & Sons Ltd, Hobart
Ed Ed Ed Ed
TASMANIA
1852-56+
MAID OF THE YARRA
1854-65
LINTROSE
1898-1932
....................
................ image courtesy ..................
TASMANIA 452 gross tons: 167'7" x 24' x 17'2". Wooden steamship built by B Lapham at Medford Massachusetts, USA for unknown owners registered at Boston and named the Rajah Wallie. Held a 250 ihp engine. Arrived Australian shores from Batavia upon the advent of knowledge of the goldrushes and has the distinction of being the first American owned steamship to arrive at Port Phillip Victoria and since, becoming the first regular steamer between Melbourne and Hobart. She was purchased April 1853 by this concern for that trade as a passenger vessel of 'elegent accomodation'. She became known as 'the wooden Tasmania' to differentiate her from iron hulled vessel owned by the Tasmanian S N Co., Hobart bearing the same name and operating in the same era. Sold October 1854 to Roops & Brown, Hobart. Constant problems with her machinery caused her to be a poor competitor in the trade and, in 1856 was despatched overseas for sale and sold to London based purchasers. Fate since unknown
MAID OF THE YARRA 116 gross tons, 82 net. Lbd: 100'4" x 18'0" x 9'0". Iron steamship built by J Robson at Blackwall in County Durham England for unknown owners who employed her as a self powered 'lighter' of 20 horsepower, on Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne. Soon sold in February 1855 to W Brown Jnr., Launceston, Tasmania and fitted with passenger accomodation. Employed on the Melbourne - Launceston service as well as some localised work along the Tamar River. Sold September 1857 to W H Smith & Partners, Melbourne and worked a variety of routes including the Port Albert, Victoria trade. October 1859 sold to Fowler & Partners, Melbourne who kept her on the Port Albert trade as well as occassional runs to the Gippsland Lakes. Short service saw her sold December same year, 1859 to Joseph Darwent, Port Adelaide where she was employed on the South Australian Gulfs' routes of Port Elliot and Wallaroo. Sold July 1862 to unknown owners in New Zealand and wrecked March 1865 at Hokitika, New Zealand
LINTROSE 148 gross tons, 100 net. Lb: 126'5" x 26'. Sternwheel paddle steamship built by Fleming & Ferguson Paisley, as the Premier for the Queensland Government Railways. Shipped in sections and reassembled by Walkers Ltd, Maryborough, Queensland; launched 21st June 1898 for the Gladstone/Rockhampton service. 1903 withdrawn and laid up. Sold 1908 Carmichael Bros, Brisbane and renamed Lintrose. Sold 1918 to James Rowe & Sons Ltd, Hobart. c1918 converted to twin screw. 10th March 1932 wrecked on iron Pot Reef (Norfolk Bay for Hobart with telegraph poles)



UNITED STEAM SHIP Co Ltd., Launceston
Ed Ed Ed Ed
KOONYA
1887-98
DORSET
1883-1917
HERBERT
1884-1933
DEVON
1876-94
DORSET image courtesy Devonport Maritime Museum
HERBERT image personal collection
KOONYA 118 gross tons, 80 net. Lbd: 107'2" x 19'4" x 9'6". Wooden steamship built by William Bayes at Hobart, Tasmania for the Risby Brothers who operated her out of Hobart. She was a passenger - cargo vessel engined HP 30 horsepower. Sold January 1889 to the United Steam Ship Co Ltd., Launceston who employed her on the northern and western coastlines of Tasmania. Sold April 1896 to E T Miles (Tasmania). September 1896 purchased by the Moruya S N Co Ltd., Sydney. On the 25th January 1898 when bound for Sydney from Moruya, she was wrecked off Cronulla, New South Wales. No lives lost
DORSET 61 gross tons, 20 net. 82'1" x 17'4" x 6'9". Wooden steamship built by W Knight at Yarrabank Melbourne Victoria for the Launceston and Bridport Steam Navigation Co., Launceston. Compounded engine producing 30 horsepower. Worked out of Launceston to minor Tasmanian ports and as far as Strahan. Sold August 1884 to United Steamship Co Ltd., Launceston. Remeasured to be 79 gross tons, 47 net with Lbd: 83' x 17'8" x 8'6". Sold September 1894 to W Holyman & Sons, Melbourne. 1896 lengthened to become 103'2" x 17'5" x 8'5" with tonnage of 105 gross and 45 net. Sold December 1907 to New Zealand interests, at some stage becoming a lighter and wrecked on 17th August off Kai-iwi, Wanganui New Zealand
HERBERT 233 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'3". Iron steamship built by McIntyre & Co., Hebburn on Tyne for William Villiers Brown, a Townsville merchant who was also part of the business known as Aplin, Brown & Co. This vessel, registered in Brisbane was capable of carrying 27 passengers, working the outports from Townsville. She held a compounded engine producing 60 horsepower. May 1888 sold to John Williams, Launceston and February 1889 of the United Steamship Co., Launceston. Her Tasmanian career was spent servicing the north-west coast of that island state. Sold in March 1896 to the Adelaide steamship Co., Port Adelaide who placed her back on the Queensland small ports and rivers service, where she begun. April 1897 saw her steam from Cairns to New Guinea for the 'goldrush' there, and the journey was not repeated. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross, 152 net. Lbd: 140'1" x25' x7'3". By 1907 she was working the South Australian gulfs' trades, taking in the ports of Turton, Minlacowie, Broughton, Victoria and Wallaroo. Since she was demoted to being a 'coal lighter' until July 1913 when she was refitted and placed again in the Spencer Gulf trade. Finally sold for scrapping purposes in 1932 and scuttled off Cape Cleveland, Queensland during January 1933
DEVON 191 gross tons, 130 net. Lbd: 123'7" x 19'4" x 9'5". Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley for S Tulloch of Launceston. Held a compounded engine producing 50 horsepower. August 1876 owned by W Hart & Partners. May 1884 owned by Launceston & North West Coast S N Co Ltd. August 1888 owned by United Steamship Co Ltd. Serviced the Tasmanian coastal ports all her life until December 19th, 1894 when wrecked upon the bar at Macquarie Heads Tasmania. Although she floated free, the propellor broke away and she was driven ashore, becoming totally wrecked

Ed
WAKEFIELD
1877-1920
WAKEFIELD image courtesy State Library Queensland
WAKEFIELD 104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. August 1910 British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked


T Thompson, Hobart Thomas Thompson, & Daniel Brown & Hobart Cummings, Henry & Co., River Don R Gardner, Launceston
W A Gardner, Launceston
Ed Ed Ed Ed
ANT
1854-66
MONARCH
1846-97
ARGYLE
1873-81
MANCHESTER
1851-56+
................ image courtesy ..................
ANT 121 gross tons, 82 net. 1856 -149 gross tons, 87 net and 1865 -161 gross tons, 87 net with recorded Lbd: 100'8" x 17'8" x 9'2" being the only measurements recorded. Iron single screw steamship, two masts. built by Scott & Co., Scotland. Engines: 30 horsepower, 2 cylinder inverted. Designed to carry a limited number of passengers. Owners: 1854 - Samuel Martin & Others, Belfast. April 1955 arrived Australia, Port Phillip Victoria reputedly as the first ship to sail direct from Ireland to Port Phillip. Owners intention was sale or service and in February (or thereabouts) Worked the Hobart - Launceston trade until 1856 sold to T. Thompson, Hobart. Placed upon various Tasmanian east coast ports until owner went bankrupt in September 1856 and eventually sold in May 1857 to Peter Le Page, Melbourne. October 1857 sold to George Ormerod, & Co. Guichen Bay, (South Australia) and traded the south-east coast of that state to Port Adelaide. February 1864 owned by J Fowler. July 1865 owned by Gippsland Steam Navigation Co. Wrecked 12 July 1866, in heavy fog on a rock three miles west by north of Barwon Heads when inbound from Tasmania. Captain found as negligent in placing reliance on defective compasses (source: Victorian Heritage Register )
MONARCH 128 gross tons, 69 net. Lb: 126'8" x 16'. Paddle Steamer built by Barr & McNab West Renfrew, for James Henderson & Alexander McKellar, Glasgow. Propulsion: steam steeple-type 60hp. Engines by Barr & McNab. 1854 Daniel Brown & Thomas Thompson, Hobart. 1856 Ed Luttrell & F H Wise. Status: Deleted from Register - 1897 Remarks: Register closed 1897 after several years laid up her remains were still identifiable in New Town Bay, Hobart in 1950s
ARGYLE 218 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 130'6" x 20'2" x 10'. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley as a passenger/cargo vessel. Compounded engine porducing 40 horsepower. Records of ownership obscure however the press of the day stated this vessel was ordered for Cummings, Henry & Co., River Don Tasmania. The official register states a Mr Andrew Lyall of Melbourne as first registered owner. If the press of the day were correct, then she worked the north west coast of Tasmania to Melbourne. Records show she definitely servicd the trade between Melbourne and Port Adelaide, including minor ports within. Considered too small a vessel she was sold in July 1880 to Nipper and See, of the Northern New South Wales notoriety and placed upon the Sydney - northern rivers services. June 25th 1881 she foundered in the Clarence River, New South Wales and subsequentially sold as a wreck
MANCHESTER 271 gross tons, 157 net. Lbd: 139'8" x 19'6" x 11'7". Wooden paddle steamer built at Aberdeen Scotland for R Gardner of Launceston Tasmania with ship's registry at Liverpool, England. Held a 2 cylinder engine producing 90 horsepower. Arrived Melbourne August 1853 reputedly able to carry 118 passengers in two classes and of great speed. Purchased that month and year by W A Gardner, and registered at Launceston. Serviced the Bass Strait trade, taking in Portland Victoria. Intention to form a shipping Company with Portland, Melbourne and Tasmania as the key ports of call was mooted during 1854-55 via some connection amongst W A Gardner and R Wendelstadt of Melbourne, who owned the vessel as from 1855. The proposed company didn't eventuate and the vessel was sold to interests based at Calcutta India in April 1956. No further trace of this ship since known


William Rout & Partners R Cleburne, Hobart
William Rout, Hobart
G W Walker, B Rout
& F Haller, Hobart
M L Goodwin, Launceston
Ed Ed Ed Ed
DERWENT
1864-1915
SOUTHERN CROSS
1863-89
DUNCAN HOYLE
1852-60
GAZELLE
1852-88
................ image courtesy ..................
DERWENT Iron steamer, 478 gross tons, 351 net. Lbd: 196' x 25'3" x 13'3". Iron steamship built by A & J Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow as a 3 masted barquentine ship and of a 2 cylinder engine producing 120 horsepower. First recorded owner J Alexander, London. During 1864 owned by J Wright, registered at Hobart Town, Tasmania. December 1864 owned by W Rout & Partners. October 1867 owned by Tasmanian S N Co, who continued her on the Bass Strait run. March 1879 owned by Howard Smith & Partners as Melbourne Steamship Co. Melbourne. Placed upon the Northern Queensland run ex Sydney. December 1883 of W H Smith & Sons Ltd. Employed on the western coastal districts of Victoria. 1891 re-engined, compounded producing 96 hp. July 1901 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1909 gross tonnage now measured at 459. 1913 of Australian Steamships Pty Ltd. October 1815 of Howard Smith Ltd. 1915-16 converted into a hulk and employed in North Queensland. 1925 scuttled off Townsville, Queensland
SOUTHERN CROSS 641 gross tons, 343 net. Lbd: 207' x 26'7" x 17'8'. Iron steamship built by J & G Thomson at Govan Scotland for R Cleburne of Hobart, Tasmania in 1863, as completed in November that year. A three-masted schooner rigged vessel equiped with an engine producing 120 horsepower. Registered in 1864 as a passenger vessel, she serviced Tasmania to Melbourne and various intercolonial ports, predominantly on the Bass Strait run. Sold in June 1864 to William Rout, Hobart. November 1867 to Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co. Lengthened at Sydney in 1878, re-engined, and the main-mast removed to give her a more modern appearance. New dinesions read - 779 gross & 477 net tons. Lbd: 234' x 26'7" x 17'8". From West Devonport for Burnie, Stanley and Melbourne, was impaled amidships by an uncharted rock off Rocky Cape, north-west Tasmania, about half a mile offshore, 22nd February 1889. Crew and passengers saved
DUNCAN HOYLE 188 gross tons, 131 net. Lbd: 139'6" x 17'7" x 8'6". Iron paddle steamer of passenger capability built by Scott & Sons, Greenock, Glasgow for Duncan Hoyle and registered at Greenock. February 1854 J Cowie & Others trading as the Geelong Steam Navigation Co., (of which Duncan Hoyle was Chairman) registered at Geelong Victoria. Worked between Geelong and Melbourne. November 1855 sold to G W Walker, B Rout and F Haller all of Hobart Town who had intentions of forming their own shipping concern. She saw little employment and that company didn't eventuate in name, the ship consequently being sold in September 1858 to ASN Co. Placed on the Sydney - Northern New South Wales coastal run she was soon sold to Grafton S N Co. (Note: No official register of ownership with Grafton S N Co recorded) Sold again 1960 to Hong Kong owners. Records end
GAZELLE 79 gross tons, 47 net. Lbd: 82' x 15'2" x 7'8". Iron steamship built by John Horn, Waterford England in 1852 and rebuilt by Anderson & Grubbs at Lytellton new Zealand during 1867. From the onset she was owned by A G Robinson of Melbourne although registered in London. In 1854 she was employed as a ferry so to speak operating between Williamstown and Melbourne, no great distance in any locals' eyes. (Especially mine). Also owned during that year of 1854 since A G Robinson by F E Liardet under whom the ferry service most likely took effect. A street in Melbourne carries the Liardet surname. 1856 saw ownership of M L Goodwin, registered Launceston Tasmania. He employed her on the passenger trade between Launceston and Georgetown until 1860 when sold to Lilly and Robinson, both of the Western districts of Victoria. Likely serviced the coastal ports south- west of Victoria to Melbourne, as was their domain until September 1861 when sold to J T Cockshott, Melbourne. From February 1862 until April 1879 she worked the New Zealand coastal trade under unknown New Zealand ownership. During that time she was rebuilt as per above. April 1879 owned by R Bright, of Melbourne and so registered there. One month later owned by W J Wischer and in March 1884 owned by H F Walker. Spending her last ten years plying the coast of Victoria under the ownership of the last three mentioned, she eventually sank at Apollo Bay Victoria on 25th February 1888


Ed Ed Ed
ROWITTA
1908-
DEVON
1876-94
AVON
1867-91
Unknown, Tasmania S Tulloch of Launceston
W Hart & Partners.
S Tulloch & G M Jackson
ROWITTA postcard personal collection
GEORGE H EVANS as the Hinemoa before conversion
ROWITTA 121 tons. Steamer. Built Hobart, 1908. 30 June, 1943 acquisitioned by Australian Armed Forces. Later underwent a rebuild and renamed Sorrento. Preserved as an exhibit at the Flagstaff Hill Maritime Museum at Warrnambool, Victoria
DEVON 191 gross tons, 130 net. Lbd: 123'7" x 19'4" x 9'5". Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co., Paisley for S Tulloch of Launceston. Held a compounded engine producing 50 horsepower. August 1876 owned by W Hart & Partners. May 1884 owned by Launceston & North West Coast S N Co Ltd. August 1888 owned by United Steamship Co Ltd. Serviced the Tasmanian coastal ports all her life until December 19th, 1894 when wrecked upon the bar at Macquarie Heads Tasmania. Although she floated free, her propellor broke away and she was driven ashore and totally wrecked
AVON 110 gross tons, 72 net. Lbd: 100'3" x 18'2" x 6'8". Iron paddle steamer rigged as a 2 masted schooner equiped with 2 diagonal oscillating engines of 30 horsepower, Built by T Wingate of Glasgow, she was reassembled by H J McGee, at Melbourne as a passenger - cargo vessel for the Gippsland Steam Navigation Co., Melbourne and used on their trades until sold in December 1876 to S Tulloch & G M Jackson. April 1885 sold to J F Tully. October 1885 sold to J R Miller. January 1887 owned by C Petersen. March 1887 owned by Bairnsdale Steam Navigation Co Ltd. May 1888 owned by John See. 1888 tonnage declared as 115 gross 83 net. Worked the Northern New South Wales rivers trade until wrecked on the Bellinger River bar when inbound on June 3rd, 1891. Abandoned, later salvaged and rebuilt as a lighter by Foster & Minty, at Balmain Sydney. 1896 Adelaide Steam Ship Co, Adelaide. 1908 Cleghorn, Hopkins & Co, Brisbane. 1956 register closed as "abandoned lower reaches Brisbane River, date unknown."


Ed Ed Ed
GEORGE H EVANS
1946-71
MARION
1854-62
WILLIAM MISKIN
1852-68
Hydro-Electric Commission of Tasmania Rae, Kerr & others, Hobart Town Kerr & Partners, Hobart
GEORGE H EVANS as the Hinemoa before conversion
GEORGE H EVANS ex HINEMOA of the Union Steamship Company of New Zealand as built by Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Barrow-in-Furness. Length 122 metres. Twin screw turbo-electric. Speed 20 knots. Passengers 914. GRT 6911. She was sold to the Hydro-Electric Commission of Tasmania and used as floating power house (porpellor removed) at Bell Bay in Tasmania and later at Dampier, West Australia. She was renamed 'George H Evans'. She was sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers in 1971.
MARION 177 gross tons, 133 net. Lbd: 114'2" x 19'6" x 10'0". Built at Whiteinch, Glasgow as an Iron passenger steamship for Messers Rae, Kerr & others all of Hobart Town, Tasmania. At the time she held a 2 cylinder engine producing 30 horsepower and remained under London registry. Employed on the Hobart - Melbourne trade, gaining little popularity and was sold June 1857 to H Glass, Melbourne and there registered. Her dimensions were altered as 197 gross tons and 124 net. Placed upon the Warrnambool-Port Fairy service until sold in October 1857 to the South Australian syndicate of Joseph Stilling, J R H Ward, Joseph Darwent and unknown others, registered Port Adelaide. Here she became the first 'regular' passenger steamship to ply the Port Adelaide - Port Lincoln - Port Augusta route. July 11th 1862 wrecked at Marion Bay, Southern Yorke peninsular, South Australia. Note : that bay was named after another vessel, an immigrant ship of the same name that also foundered, saw it's passengers land ashore at that bay
WILLIAM MISKIN 124 gross tons, 74 net. Lbd: 100'6" x 17'6" x 9'9". Iron hulled steamship built by William Pimm, Hull for H C Cheesewright & W T Miskin, registered London. ON32479 Compounded engine, 30 horsepower. 1853 of Pegler & Co acting as trustees for the NSW Coal & Intercolonial S N Co. She ran from Sydney to Morpeth until that owner dissolved under a welter of accusations of improper business practices by 'some' of the directors. 1854 owned by J C Rossiter & Partners. Sydney. November 1854 ran regularly from Sydney - Maryborough - and Port Curtis (modern day Gladstone) in a passenger-cargo capacity. Found unprofitable, she was sent to Tasmania under the banner of Eastern Steam Navigation Co, operating locally. In January 1856, rescued crew from brigantine 'Catherine' wrecked off Goose Island Bass Strait, taking then to Hobart. Sold February 1856 to Wright & Thomson, registered Hobart. They went bankrupt in attempting to establish a regular Tasmanian coastal steamer service. May 1858 sold to Andrew MacDowell, Hobart. 23 October 1858 arrived Sydney from Port of Melbourne with approx 80 passengers and 20 crew. Burthen 74 tons under Captain Lovett. June 1859 jointly purchased by Howard Smith and Partners and placed upon the Melbourne - Geelong service with runs to Port Albert and the western districts of Victoria in direct competition with S G Henty's vessels. August 1861 Smith's share sold to S B Skinner & others, Melbourne. W H Smith set out for England with a view to purchasing larger vessels for the Australian trade. July 1862 of A Kerr and Partners. March 1863 of W Simpson and Partners. July 1863 owned by T Jenner and Partners, registered Dunedin. later 1863 owned by J B Godfrey (Oamaru). 1867 owned by R B Martin. February 4 1868 wrecked, driven ashore at Timaru New Zealand with the loss of one life


T A REYNOLDS
Hobart - Tasmania
Ed Ed Ed Ed
BANKS PENINSULAR
1889-96+
BELLINGER
1884-1908
GLENELG
1875-1900

GLENELG image (a23991) courtesy State Library Victoria
BANKS PENINSULAR 171 gross tons, 34 net. Lbd: 120' x 20' x 7'9". Steel twin screw steamship built by Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Grangemouth for the Peninsula & Akaroa S N Co., Lyttelton, New Zealand. A passenger - cargo vessel of twin compounded engines producing 62 nautical horsepower. Machinery aft. Sold 1890 to the Union Steamship Co New Zealand. 1891 sold to T A Reynolds, Hobart. (Another record states sold August 1891 to Captain E T Miles of Hobart). September 1896 Reynolds taken over by Union Steamship Co New Zealand. Later sold to Northern SS Co., Auckland, and renamed Waitangi. Wrecked at Patea Bay New Zealand on on May 5th 1923
BELLINGER 225 gross tons, 134 net. Lbd: 125' x 22'1" x 8'7". Iron steamship, compounded engine producing 45 horsepower, 2 masts schooner rigged and rated at 9.5 knots. Built by J McArthur & Co., Paisley, Glasgow for G W Nicoll, Sydney. Passenger - cargo vessel on the New South Wales Northern river service. Sold December 1884 to the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports to Melbourne service. 1887 returned to Nicoll's ownership, this time to B B Nicoll. 1890 sold to Captain E T Miles, Hobart. September 1894 sold to T A Reynolds of Hobart. 1896 taken over by Union Steamship Co New Zealand with the rest of T.A. Reynolds, Hobart fleet, 1897 sold to Northern Steamship Co., Auckland, and renamed Muritai. Wrecked upon the New Zealand coast on May 27th 1908. NOTE: Not the Bellinger of North Coast S N Co built 1901
GLENELG 218 gross tons, 558 net. Lbd: 135'8" x 21'1" x 11'3". Iron twin screw steamship built by Aitken & Mansel, Glasgow for Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide. Twin compounded engines producing 80 horsepower. Held distinction of being the first 'southbound' ship to pass through the new Suez Canal on May 24th, 1875. Designed more as a tug - passenger tender vessel with cargo capacity, she worked out of Port Adelaide. Later worked the St Vincents Gulf. 1880 tonnage adjusted to read 210 gross and 76 net. SOld July 1881 to William Wells. Sold April 1882 to Thomas Hesselton, Sydney under whom she made a run to New Zealand for a cargo of salvaged railway equipment. Sold July 1882 to the Port Jackson Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as a Manly ferry. From January until end of March she was chartered to W Collins, Brisbane and placed upon the Brisbane - Bundaberg run. November 1891 sold to E T Miles & Partners, Hobart and placed upon the Hobart - Strahan run, at times extending from Stahan to Melbourne. At some stage she was sold to T A Reynolds or Reynolds was the active 'signature' partner of E T Miles when sold September 1896 to the Union SS Co, New Zealand, along with with T A Reynolds, Hobart fleet. Continued her Tasmanian services under her new owners until 1898 when sold to A Ellerker, Melbourne. Here she was placed upon the Gippsland Lakes service - Melbourne. March 25th 1900 foundered and sank in Bass Strait, approximately 40 miles west of Lakes Entrance, Victoria en route for Melbourne. A loss of 31 souls, including all passengers, with only three survivors
..................


E T MILES & Partners / Captain E T MILES
Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
GLENELG
1875-1900
BELLINGER
1884-1908
KOONYA
1887-98
ATHLETIC
1872-81
PIONEER
1889-91
GLENELG image (a23991) courtesy State Library Victoria
BELLINGER image (AUTAS001125641175) courtesy State Library Tasmania
GLENELG 218 gross tons, 558 net. Lbd: 135'8" x 21'1" x 11'3". Iron twin screw steamship built by Aitken & Mansel, Glasgow for Thomas Elder & Robert B Smith, registered Port Adelaide. Twin compounded engines producing 80 horsepower. Held distinction of being the first 'southbound' ship to pass through the new Suez Canal on May 24th, 1875. Designed more as a tug - passenger tender vessel with cargo capacity, she worked out of Port Adelaide. Later worked the St Vincents Gulf. 1880 tonnage adjusted to read 210 gross and 76 net. SOld July 1881 to William Wells. Sold April 1882 to Thomas Hesselton, Sydney under whom she made a run to New Zealand for a cargo of salvaged railway equipment. Sold July 1882 to the Port Jackson Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney and employed as a Manly ferry. From January until end of March she was chartered to W Collins, Brisbane and placed upon the Brisbane - Bundaberg run. November 1891 sold to E T Miles & Partners, Hobart and placed upon the Hobart - Strahan run, at times extending from Strahan to Melbourne. At some stage she was sold to T A Reynolds or Reynolds was the active 'signature' partner of E T Miles when sold September 1896 to the Union SS Co, New Zealand, along with with T A Reynolds, Hobart fleet. Continued her Tasmanian services under her new owners until 1898 when sold to A J Ellerker, Melbourne. Here she was placed upon the Gippsland Lakes service - Melbourne. March 25th 1900 foundered and sank in Bass Strait, approximately 40 miles west of Lakes Entrance, Victoria en route for Melbourne. A loss of 31 souls, including all passengers, with only three survivors
BELLINGER 225 gross tons, 134 net. Lbd: 125' x 22'1" x 8'7". Iron steamship, compounded engine producing 45 horsepower, 2 masts schooner rigged and rated at 9.5 knots. Built by J McArthur & Co., Paisley, Glasgow for G W Nicoll, Sydney. Passenger - cargo vessel on the New South Wales Northern river service. Sold December 1884 to the Belfast & Koroit S N Co., Port Fairy Victoria for their Western ports to Melbourne service. 1887 returned to Nicoll's ownership, this time to B B Nicoll. 1890 sold to Captain E T Miles, Hobart. September 1894 sold to T A Reynolds of Hobart. 1896 taken over by Union Steamship Co New Zealand with the rest of T.A. Reynolds, Hobart fleet, 1897 sold to Northern Steamship Co., Auckland, and renamed Muritai. Wrecked upon the New Zealand coast on May 27th 1908. NOTE: Not the Bellinger of North Coast S N Co built 1901
KOONYA 118 gross tons, 80 net. Lbd: 107'2" x 19'4" x 9'6". Wooden steamship built by William Bayes at Hobart, Tasmania for the Risby Brothers who operated her out of Hobart. She was a passenger - cargo vessel engined HP 30 horsepower. Sold January 1889 to the United Steam Ship Co Ltd., Launceston who employed her on the northern and western coastlines of Tasmania. Sold April 1896 to E T Miles (Tasmania). September 1896 purchased by the Moruya S N Co Ltd., Sydney. On the 25th January 1898 when bound for Sydney from Moruya, she was wrecked off Cronulla, New South Wales. No lives lost
ATHLETIC 43 gross tons, 29 net. Lbd: 80'2" x 13'2" x 5'3". Iron screw steamer, built at Sydney, 1872; registered Melbourne 1875. Originally a Port Phillip Bay steamer before being refitted as a cargo vessel between Hobart and Launceston. Captain Edward T. Miles. Stranded on a reef between Cape Portland and the Foster Islands, north-east Tasmania, 11 November 1881. After the crew threw most of the cargo overboard, beached on the south-western side of Foster Island. By the time the paddle steamer Avon reached the Athletic, she had slipped off the reef and sank
PIONEER 75 gross tons, 51 net. Lbd: 94'5" x 15'5" x 7'8". Composite twin screw steamer, built by DS McLarty at Yarrabank Melbourne, 1889. Held an oscillating engine = 40 hp. Owners: H Hart & Partner, Launceston, Tasmania who placed her on the passenger-cargo trade along the North-west coast of Tasmania. Sold 1879 to owners unknown and had many owners since, with runs to many ports of non-descript status, as well as visiting both Sydney and Newcastle. March 1889 owned by Captain E T Miles who placed her upon the Hobart - west coast Tasmanian ports service in passenger-cargo capacity. July 16th, 1891 wrecked at Trial Harbour, Tasmania


William Lyons S H Hammond, Tasmania also known as Hammond & Co
Ed Ed Ed Ed
OBERON
1853-62
....................
POONBAR
1913-51
CORRIMAL
1911-69
POONBAR image (02207r) courtesy State Library New South Wales
CORRIMAL image as AYRFIELD courtesy R Priest of the Nautical Association of Australia
OBERON 102 gross tons, 66 net. Lbd: 89'7" x 19'2" x 7'6". Iron steamship 2 cylinder 25 horsepower built by Alexander Denny, Dumbarton as a passenger vessel, 22 cabin & 15 steerage for J B Risk & Others., registered Glasgow. October 1854 purchased by Port Albert S N Co., Melbourne when offered for sale after arriving from Northern Hemisphere. 1857 re-measured to to 102 gross tons, 70 net. Lbd: became 100' x 19'2" x 7'6". Worked out of Port Albert until sold July 1858 to Captain Lyons, registered Hobart. After unsuccessful attempts to create a service to the east coast ports of Tasmania, Captain William Lyons sold her to New Zealand interests. There she was wrecked July 24th 1861 at the Bluff. Raised and repaired by new owners, she was renamed Guiding Star, only to be wrecked September 1862

POONBAR 909 gross tons, 421 net. Lbd: 200'4" x 34'1" x 12'2". Steel twin screw steamship built 1913 by Murdoch & Murray, Glasgow for North Coast S N Co, Sydney as a cargo vessel. Was of 98 horsepower. At the time she was their largest cargo vessel and intended for the Lismore trade on the Richmond River. Here then, with her twin screws and overall length, the narrow arms and bends of that river saw her oversized and stranded several times. Often her decks were scattered with tree branches and whatever lifeforms, coiled or nested in them also found the ship's deck. It spoke volumes about her being a pure ocean going vessel only. Sold during 1927 to S H Hammond, Tasmania. Placed upon the Hobart - Sydney - Brisbane service. Latersame year ran a Brisbane - Northern Rivers of New South Wales Service fortnightly, alternating with a Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane service. A tough arena was the Brisbane - Northern Rivers trade and, he succumbed finanically with the Corrimal being sold in November 1927 and the Poonbar being laid up pending sale. Sold January 1928 Nelson & Robertson Pty Ltd., Brisbane, who almost immediately chartered her out long term to John Burke & Co., Brisbane. 1936 saw Ivan Nelson, Brisbane hold full ownership. Ran for John Burke & Co until 1947 (unsure if he ever purchased this vessel) when sold to Manners & Co, Hong Kong (Panama registry) renamed San Ernesto. 1950 to Wallem & Co., Panama. 1951 scrapped Hong Kong
CORRIMAL 1,140 gross tons. 682 net. Lbd 239'0" x 34'8" x 15'5". General cargo vessel built as the Corrimal by Greenock and Grangemouth Dockyard Grangemouth for G S Yuill & Co Ltd Australia. 1926 sold to White Steamship Co Ltd Australia. July 1927 sold to Hammond & Co Australia. November 1927 sold to James Patrick & Co Ltd., Australia. Nov 1942 Requisitioned by Australian Government and purchased December 1944 with James Patrick as managers ongoing since November 1942. December 1947 transferred to Australian Shipping Board. Laid up during 1949. Sold 1950 to Bitumen & Oil Refineries (Australia) Ltd., remained laid up. 1951 sold to R W Miller and Co., Australia, extensively refitted at Morts Dock, Sydney into a collier for use on the "60 milers" route. Altered, making two holds from the original four holds. Renamed Ayrfield. 1969 sold for demolition and scrapped


TAMAR STEAM NAVIGATION Co, Launceston
D & J Bryan
Ed Ed Ed Ed
TAMAR
1833-73
GIPSY
1842-56
....................
....................
TAMAR image (67522p) courtesy State Library Queensland
GIPSY image personal collection
TAMAR 88 gross tons, 130 net. Lb: 96'3" x 17'8". Wooden paddle steamer, built by James McMillan & John Wood, Greenock Glasgow in 1833 for D & J Bryan (loosely the Tamar Steam Nav Co, Australia), based in Launceston Tasmania. Carried passengers from Launceston to Twofold Bay, New South Wales until 1834 when sold to J T S Wilson & T Burdekin, Sydney. They placed her on the Hunter River trade only to find she was too deep for that service. 1835 J T S Wilson sole owner. 1836 lengthened to reduce draught by Russell at Pyrmont, Sydney becoming 200 gross tons & 130 net. Lb:124'0" x 16'. Stated a passenger capacity of 140 with cabin space for about 70. 1840 General Steam Navigation Co, Sydney, 1842 Hunter River S N Co. 1850 traded to Moreton Bay Queensland without success and placed upon the Clarence River service. 1851 Australasian S N Co. 1852 rebuilt by L Corcoran, Sydney. 1860 engaged by the Queensland Government mail contract, the first ever awarded, and steamed from Brisbane to Gladstone via Maryborough. 1861 J & A Brown, Sydney. At times (1862) placed on passenger runs from Sydney to Brisbane in opposition to Australasian S N Co but most was employed as a tug. 1866 William Farthing, 1866 Stephen Foyle, Newcastle New South Wales. Wrecked Cabbage Tree Bay Norah Head, 11 January 1873 (sources - Clydebuilt Shipping, R Parsons & N L McKellar)
GIPSY 75 gross tons, 43 burthen. Lbd: 80'4" x 15'7" x 8'4". Wooden paddle steamship built by Chowne, Thompson & Chowne at Pyrmont, Sydney for the Tamar S N Co., Launceston. Held a 35 horsepower engine taken from the paddle steamer Maitland and installed by William Bourne, Sydney. Designed as a passenger tender and tug for use upon the Tamar River, Tasmania, even carrying passengers from Sydney to Launceston on her maiden voyage. 1847 owned by F A Ducroz, unknown registration. March 1852 owned by Gilmore & Henty, Melbourne. 1853 owned by the Victoria S N Co, Melbourne as owned by Broadfoot, Bonnar & Co. Used upon Hobsons Bay to Queens Wharf, Melbourne as a passenger/cargo tender until sold in September 1855 to J C Williamson, Sydney. Here then she was used as a passenger/cargo vessel servicing the Sydney - Manning River trade. 24th April 1856 wrecked on the Manning River bar. Note: sometimes known as 'Gipsey' and "Gipsay"




J Williams, Launceston Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart
Ed Ed Ed Ed
WAKEFIELD
1877-1920
HERBERT
1884-1933
CROYDON
1896-1919
....................
WAKEFIELD image courtesy State Library Queensland
WAKEFIELD 104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. August 1910 British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked
HERBERT 233 gross tons, 139 net. Lbd: 110'5" x 25' x 7'3". Iron steamship built by McIntyre & Co., Hebburn on Tyne for William Villiers Brown, a Townsville merchant who was also part of the business known as Aplin, Brown & Co. This vessel, registered in Brisbane was capable of carrying 27 passengers, working the outports from Townsville. She held a compounded engine producing 60 horsepower. May 1888 sold to John Williams, Launceston and February 1889 of the United Steamship Co., Launceston. Her Tasmanian career was spent servicing the north-west coast of that island state. Sold in March 1896 to the Adelaide steamship Co., Port Adelaide who placed her back on the Queensland small ports and rivers service, where she begun. April 1897 saw her steam from Cairns to New Guinea for the 'goldrush' there, and the journey was not repeated. 1899 refitted tonnage became 302 gross, 152 net. Lbd: 140'1" x25' x7'3". By 1907 she was working the South Australian gulfs' trades, taking in the ports of Turton, Minlacowie, Broughton, Victoria and Wallaroo. Since she was demoted to being a 'coal lighter' until July 1913 when she was refitted and placed again in the Spencer Gulf trade. Finally sold for scrapping purposes in 1932 and scuttled off Cape Cleveland, Queensland during January 1933
CROYDON 69 gross tons, 38 net. 76' x 16' x 6'7". Compound surface condensing engine 25 hp. Steel single screw steamship built by Riley, Hargrave & Co., at Singapore in 1896 for unknown owners. First registered in Australia by H Osborne & partners, Fremantle 1899. Sold 1901 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., with intention for service as a lighter at Cossack, Western Australia. Saw employment as a passenger ship on the Albany - Hopetoun - Esperance run in Western Australia on a government mail contract during 1904-5. Abandoned May 1905 to underwriters after sustaining structural strain brought on by bad weather when bound from Western Australia to Port Adelaide. 1913 refitted and re-registered to W R Cave & Co., Adelaide. How she was employed is unknown. Sold 1918 to Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart. May 13th 1919 'sprang' a leak and sank in Savage River west coast of Tasmania. No lives lost. Note: Not the same vessel formerly known as Gunga and renamed Croydon of AUSN Co



Hobart S N & Trading Co. Captain Lawrence
Ed Ed Ed Ed
WAKEFIELD
1877-1920
....................
NORTH STAR
1843-57
....................
WAKEFIELD image courtesy State Library Queensland
WAKEFIELD 104 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 95'2" x 16'5" x 7'4". Compound direct acting vertical steam engine producing 25 horsepower. Iron steamship built by J Fullerton & Co, Paisley for J J Osborne & Partners, Port Adelaide. March 1881 J Darling Jnr & others. January 1883 J Reid of Hobart Town. April 1883 Hobart S N & Trading Co. May 1886 J Williams. April 1889 United S S Co., Launceston. March 1896 purchased by Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., for the shallow rivers and bar harbours work in north Queensland. August 1910 British New Guinea Development Co Ltd, registered Brisbane. Register closed April 1920 and vessel hulked
NORTH STAR 453 gross tons. Paddle steamer built in England for unknown owners. Sent to Australian colonial shores in 1854 with a view to sell the vessel. Laid up for three years at Sandridge, Melbourne until purchased by a Captain Lawrence. Placed upon the run between Melbourne and Launceston, she lasted barely a few months before being despatched to Shanghai for sale. Records end




Derwent Steam Navigation Co, Hobart Town Hobart Town, Launceston & Port Phillip Company
Derwent Steam Navigation Co, which ran ferries across the river at Hobart. No known vessels to record as yet
Hobart Town, Launceston & Port Phillip Company. Ambitious name but as yet any vessels of this concern are so far unknown


J Thompson, Launceston J Black, Hobart
Ed Ed Ed Ed
PIRATE
1848-1861
....................
CERES
1875-1934
....................
CERES image (B10530) courtesy State Library South Australia
PIRATE 303 gross tons, 217 net. Lbd: 139'2" x 22'3" x 13'3". Iron steamship built by Smith & Roger at Govan for the Glasgow & Liverpool Steam Ship Co, registered Glasgow. Held a steeple type engine = 60hp. Had passenger capacity and was lengthened 1851 to read 166'8" x 22'5" x 19'3' with tonnage as 406 gross ans 285 net. New owner in 1851 was Potter & Co. June 1853 owned by J Thompson, Launceston whom placed her upon the Geelong - Launceston service, without much success. Infrequently sailed to Auckland New Zealand. 1856 worked between Sydney and Launceston and underwent refit later same year and serviced the Port Phillip bay trade. Took one venture far north to Rockhampton, Queensland with a compliment of ambitious goldminers. 1859 had poop cabin accomodation fitted and sold (either before or after) to J H Clough & Partners, Melbourne in June 1859. Chartered same year for a mail run to Otago, New Zealand, making several successful trips since until October 16th, 1861 when wrecked off the east coast of Tasmania. Recorded as the first steamship to be lost along the Tasmanian coast

CERES 86 gross tons, 58 net. Lbd: 90'1" x 16'3" x 6'7". Iron steamship built by Foreman & Co., Yarrabank Melbourne, with compounded engine = 28 horsepower also constructed by the shipbuilder. Built for C Heath reistered Port Adelaide. February 1876 owned by Coast Steamship Co Ltd running a regular passenger service to Stansbury and Port Vincent on Yorke Peninsula. 1907 of the Gulf Steamship Co Ltd. Spent her early years in the Spencer Gulf passenger trade, until sold to J Black, registered Hobart. Work ethic in Tasmania unknown. Arrived at Geelong, Victoria in May 1916 towing the barque John Murray. Served in Corio Bay for a number of years as a tug under ownership of Geelong Harbour Trust. Broken up in 1934



L W SMITH Pty Ltd, Launceston .......................
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MERINO
1949-1986
....................
....................
....................
image online source
MERINO 549 gross tons, 220 net. 700 dwt. Lbd: 187' x 33'2" x 10'11". General cargo vessel built by Scott & Sons, Bowling for L W Smith Pty Ltd., Launceston Australia. Order was placed for construction back in 1940. From October 1963 until December 1964 she was Bareboat chartered by this concern. Since then she was employed on seismic survey duties, for Geomarine Services. January 1969 saw her sold to Carpentaria Holdings Pty Ltd., Australia who modified her as a prawn freezer and supply vessel out of Brisbane. August 1972 sold to R F Mellor, Australia who left her laid up in Brisbane until March 1973 when sold to Northern Seafoods Pty Ltd., Australia. Fully converted into a prawn fishing service and freezer lighter. Late 1975 towed to Karumba for service. 1978 sold to Wright Prospecting Pty Ltd., Australia and sold again same year to K F V Fisheries (Queensland) Pty Ltd., Australia. Scuttled - 14.00.06S/140.00.02E 17th December 1986





TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-10 ŠJohn E Hoskin/Flotilla Australia
All Rights Reserved