301 gross tons, 166 net. Lbd: 151' x 22' x 13'4". Iron hulled steamship, 2 cylinders making 55 horsepower and schooner rigged of 3 masts. Built by C Mitchell & Co., Low Walker Tyne for Charles & J F Bowman of South Australia, and Hugh McMeckan - Master Mariner in partnership. Serviced Melbourne and Adelaide in 1854 as a passenger vessel under agency of McMeckan, Blackwood & Co., Melbourne, their first managed vessel. Owners since: May 1858 Samuel White, Port Adelaide. June 1861 G Fisher & Partners who traded as Launceston & Melbourne S N Co of Launceston, Tasmania. July 1866 W A Guesdon & Partners reg, Hobart. October 1867 Tasmanian Steam Navigation Co, Hobart. May 1868 Mort & McArthur, Sydney. November 1869 ASN Co, Sydney. November 1873 French owners at Noumea. July 1878 J C Lloyd reg Sydney and November 1884 Mount Kembla Coal & Oil Co. With her return to Australian registry from Noumea, she was converted into a collier by either J C Lloyd or ensuing purchaser and was converted into a hulk prior to 1900, effectively ending her status as a ship per se. Records state she was broken up in 1911. Havilah apparently means "Land of Gold"
|Left side image (108456) seen here portside (on the left), as moored to the Auckland of ASN Co, c1869-73, fully dockside, courtesy State Library Queensland|
Right side image as a modern production of 1889 painting by W J Forster, Sydney now available for purchase here as 6x4 inch postcard format and larger size print. Click image for details