FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA

OF


Minor shipping lines and Ship owners

registered in

WESTERN AUSTRALIA



Mr Bethell, Fremantle A E Brown, Fremantle Gallop & Laurie, Fremantle Mr Gwynn, Fremantle A Jackson, Bunbury
James Lilly and Co
Western Australian Shipping Co
McCorkill, Perth E F Millar, Fremantle W D Moore, Fremantle Mr Shenton, Fremantle


A Jackson, Bunbury
A E Brown, Fremantle
......................
Ed Ed Ed Ed
AGNES
1880-1922
....................

....................
AGNES image courtesy State Library Victoria
AGNES 78 gross tons, 53 net. Lbd: 87'6" X 20'8" X 5'7". Wooden Steamship built and registered Brisbane 1884 in the name of George Blonde & Joseph McGee. Various unknown owners since until 1907 when acquired by this company. Either 1915 or 1918 sold to A. Jackson of Bunbury then A E Brown shipbuilder Fremantle. No records since 1922





James Lilly and Company
(company likely were Anderson and Marshall )
known as
WESTERN AUSTRALIAN Shipping Company

LILLY, JAMES (1845-1905), businessman and shipping agent, was born on 2 February 1845 at Launceston, Van Diemen's Land, son of James Lilly and his wife Hannah, née Dillon. In 1869 he went to Victoria and married Mary Hannah Field of Hawthorn. He soon formed a business partnership with Charles V. Robinson, also of Launceston, and in 1871 they became established as shipping agents in Belfast (Port Fairy) Victoria
In 1876 James Lilly entered into negotiations with the Western Australian government for a subsidy to run a coastal shipping service to replace the irregular sailings provided by the Georgette, which had foundered at Busselton. In 1877 with his family he left for Fremantle in the ROB ROY, which became the first steamer to ply the Western Australian coastal trade on a regular basis. The Rob Roy made monthly visits to Geraldton, Fremantle, Vasse and other intervening ports, connecting at Albany with Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.'s steamers carrying mails to and from the colony. In 1879 the Otway was acquired from Victoria and brought into the service to provide the first direct link between Western Australia and the eastern colonies. Fortnightly sailings between Victoria, South Australia and Albany were arranged to coincide with the arrival of the Rob Roy from north-western ports. As trade expanded a third steamer, Macedon, was bought to increase the sailings, but she was soon wrecked and replaced by the Otway. When the second government contract expired in 1882, Lilly & Co sold their shipping interests to the Adelaide Steamship Co
Ed Ed Ed
ROB ROY
1867-1901
OTWAY
1872-1913
MACEDON
1870-83
OTWAY (b49655) & MACEDON (mp002583) images courtesy of State Library Victoria
ROB ROY 309 tons. Lbd: 148'2" X 21'5" X 15'1". Iron steamship built by Thomas Wingate & Co, Whiteinch for C V Robinson, Launceston Tasmania and J Lilly, registered Melbourne. Worked the Melbourne - Launceston run carrying 60 passengers in two classes. 1871 she was transferred to the western coastal run of Victoria under C V Robinson and J Lilly. November 1877-8 of J Lilly & Marshall, Melbourne as the Western Australian Shipping Co. 1879 worked the Western Australian coast under a Government mail contract Stranded Cossack February 1882. Registration cancelled, towed to Melbourne for repairs. Re-registered Melbourne for Lilly & Marshall in Sept 1882. Sold to Adelaide Steamship Co May 1883. Passenger accomodation increased to approximately 100 berths. Travelled as far as Queensland taking in the South and Western Australian coasts. Hulked 1901, isolated at Melbourne until fully scrapped 1910
OTWAY 446 tons. Lbd: 180' x 25' x 12'. Built Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for the Warnambool Steam Packet Co, Melbourne. May 1878 C V Robinson & Partners, Melbourne. November 1878 Lilly & Marshall. This concern folded selling all to Adelaide Steamship Co in May 1883. Refitted 1883 to 203' x 25'2" x 12' with tonnage 563 gross. 1892 sold to A Jouve & Co, Noumea. June 1897 E F Knoblauch, reg Sydney. October 1897 sold to Illawarra Steam Nav Co. June 1901 sold to North coast S N Co and in August renamed Nymboida. Hulked 1913 and scrapped 1930
MACEDON 826 gross tons, 532 net. Lbd: 220'6" x 29'8' x 15'8". Iron steamship, built as a passenger vessel by W H Potter & Co., Liverpool, England. Barque-rigged vessel with one deck was powered by 96-hp 2 cylinder inverted engines. Built for W H Smith & Partners as the Melbourne Steamship Co.1881 chartered, with the option to purchase, to Anderson & Marshall & Lilly, Melbourne. Worked the coast of Western Australia on that State Government's mail run until 21 March 1883 when she drifted onto Transit reef off Rottnest Island. Remaining there overnight and, the next morning, with engines full astern she coursed backward onto Phillip Rock, sustaining damaged stern and holing the hull. To save live and cargo, she was thrust forward onto transit reef, becoming a total loss. All lives saved


Gallop & Laurie, Fremantle H Osborne & partners, Fremantle
Ed Ed Ed Ed
MACGREGOR
1881-1916
....................
CROYDON
1896-1919
....................
MACGREGOR image courtesy State Library Victoria


CROYDON 69 gross tons, 38 net. 76' x 16' x 6'7". Compound surface condensing engine 25 hp. Steel single screw steamship built by Riley, Hargrave & Co., at Singapore in 1896 for unknown owners. First registered in Australia by H Osborne & partners, Fremantle 1899. Sold 1901 to Adelaide Steamship Co Ltd., with intention for service as a lighter at Cossack, Western Australia. Saw employment as a passenger ship on the Albany - Hopetoun - Esperance run in Western Australia on a government mail contract during 1904-5. Abandoned May 1905 to underwriters after sustaining structural strain brought on by bad weather when bound from Western Australia to Port Adelaide. 1913 refitted and re-registered to W R Cave & Co., Adelaide. How she was employed is unknown. Sold 1918 to Huon Shipping & Logging Co., Hobart. May 13th 1919 'sprang' a leak and sank in Savage River west coast of Tasmania. No lives lost. Note: Not the same vessel formerly known as Gunga and renamed Croydon of AUSN Co



McCorkill of Perth .............................
Ed Ed Ed Ed
RAMORNIE
1902-26
....................
....................
....................
RAMORNIE (04508r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales
RAMORNIE (11) 546 gross tons. Lbd: 148'2" x 28'1" x 9'6". Steel twin screw passenger steamship built by A and J Inglis on the Clyde at Glasgow for the North Coast Steam Navigation Company of Sydney . Of 86 horsepower and their second vessel bearing this name. Had passenger berths removed in 1916. 1919 Purchased by McCorkill of Perth, Australia. 1920 acquired by D. Reese of Christchurch New Zealand. 1925 Change of Name to Opua after being purchased by Opua Shipping Co of Christchurch with D.Reese as Managers. 1925 Bought by Anchor Shipping Co Ltd, of New Zealand. 2nd October 1926 lost off Tora near Pallister Bay New Zealand





Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
....................
....................
................ image courtesy ..................






Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
....................
....................
................ image courtesy ..................




Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
....................
....................
................ image courtesy ..................






Ed Ed Ed Ed
....................
....................
....................
....................
................ image courtesy ..................







TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007 ©John E Hoskin/Port Australia
All Rights Reserved