FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA

 

Quick jump
A - Z

AI SOKULA (1)
AI SOKULA (11)
BOPPLE
COOMBAR
DURANBAR
DURIS
EDNA
INGA
INNISFAIL
KOMAIWAI
LAKEMBA
LAUTOKA (1)
LAUTOKA (11)
LEVUKA
MACQUARIE
MANUM
MEKLONG
NANDI
NOOREBAR
PARNDANA
PERIOD
RABAUL (1)
RABAUL (11)
SALAMAUA
SUVA

Fleet lists
Home




FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
AUSTRALIAN SHIPPING LINES


IMAGES POSTCARDS PHOTOGRAPHS EPHEMERA
OF
W. R. CARPENTER & Co Ltd
subsidiaries
Pacific Shipowners Ltd., Suva, Fiji
Island Industries Ltd, Fiji
Cocoanut Products Ltd., Rabaul

In 1914 W R Carpenter returned from Overseas to Sydney and in September registered W. R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd. This Company's first shareholders apart from himself, were P. A. Morris and (Sir J.) Maynard Hedstrom, who later founded Morris Hedstrom Ltd, Fiji. When World War I began Carpenter realized the importance of copra in making munitions and for food, and bought it wherever he could find it and raise credit, chartering 'almost anything that would float', including an old sailing ship (Quite probably the Olivebank a 4 masted barque) , to get it to England. He took enormous risks but made huge profits, and was ideally placed to expand into New Guinea after the Australian government had expropriated German property. Under his able management, the company helped to finance, and later took over, the plantations of some Australian ex-servicemen who became heavily indebted when copra prices fell; it became large storekeepers, traders and property owners in New Guinea and the Solomon Islands. In 1922 he had set up W. R. Carpenter & Co. (Solomon Islands) Ltd. Although much abused by some planters and small traders — W.R.C. was said to stand for 'Would Rob Christ' — Carpenters' also earned the gratitude of those who survived on long-term credit and who looked to it to transact all their business. Traded mostly northern Queensland, New Guinea and various Pacific islands. Preferring to purchase second hand vessels, he made long term use of them on various trade routes. Current status - believed still in existence as a business entity minus any fleet whatsover









Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
NOOREBAR
1904-37
DURANBAH
1905-194?
INGA
1904-45
DURIS
1918-37
SALAMAUA
1920-61
SALAMAUA
as LAUTOKA (1)
NOOREBAR image at Coffs Harbour (City of Muswellbrook 07-2901), DURANBAH image courtesy State Library Queensland
INGA image courtesy State Library New South Wales, SALAMAUA image courtesy Australian War Memorial, Lautoka image personal collection
NOOREBAR 670 gross tons. Built at Kinghorn UK. Lbd: 185'1" x 28'1" x 12'4". Originally owned by G. Nicoll, she was sold to the North Coast Steam Navigation Co on arrival in Australia from the UK. Operated on New South Wales north coast. Sold to Fiji interests (W R Carpenter) in 1920 then to Indonesian interests 1924. Was at Rabaul during the 1937 eruptions, possibly escaped, although may have been a victim to the Japanese during WW2
DURANBAH 284 gross tons. Lbd: 130' x 23'1" x 9'2". Steel steamship 37 horsepower 7 knots as built by Scotts of Kinghorn, England for G W Nicoll, Sydney. Sold on arrival in Australia as delayed part of total takeover by North Coast Steam Navigation Co., Sydney. Sold 1922 to W.R. Carpenter Co. Fitted with oil engines. Believed captured by the Japanese in WW2. Fate unknown
INGA 948 gross tons. Lb: 65.6 x 9.6 metres. Steel single screw cargo vessel built by Vuijk at Capelle a/d Ijssel Holland for A/S D/S Inga (Meier), Kristiania, Norway. Triple expansion engine. Chartered 1907 then purchased by J J Craig (New Zealand) and his Australian partner R Lamb in May of 1910, operating her through the Inga Steamship Company Pty Ltd of Sydney. 1926 sold, after 155 round voyages in intercolonial trade, to James Patrick and Company of Sydney, who employed her in the Melbourne trade. December 1927 sold to W R Carpenter & Co Ltd who used her largely in the Pacific Islands trade. 1930 sold to Madrigal & Co of Manila, renaming her Cetus December 1941 scuttled in the Philippine Islands. Raised by the Japanese who renamed her Hokuhi Maru. Sunk in an air attack in Formosa Strait 2 March 1945
DURIS 895 gross tons. Lb: 51.8 x 9.1 metres. Built as a Patrol frigate for the British Navy by Smith's Dock Co, South Bank England. Named Kildorrey, single screw, triple expansion engine making 13 knots. 1921 when purchased by "T" Steam Coasters Ltd, Newcastle GBR and renamed Dempster, she was converted into a cargo ship, tonnage reduced as 634 gross. 1928 purchased by W.R.Carpenter & Co Ltd who retained the registry at Newcastle GBR. Ship was renamed Duris and brought to the Pacific arena for Island trading. 29 May 1937 wrecked off Vulcan Island, Rabaul during volcanic eruption
SALAMAUA / LAUTOKA 6754 gross tons. 406'2" x 52'2". (123.7 x 16.5 metres). Steel twin screw cargo vessel built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow. as Glentara for Glen Line. Was laid down as the Salamanda. 2 x 6cyl diesels, twin screws, 2400bhp. Service speed = 10 knots, highest recorded rate 11.5 knots. 1928 sold to British & African S N Co., with Elder Dempster & Co., as managers & renamed Milverton. Sold 15th August 1932 to W.R. Carpenter & Co of Suva and renamed Salamaua. In 1947 transferred to Pacific Shipowners Ltd of Suva and, in 1947 renamed Lautoka (1). 12 September 1953 scrapping began at Japan


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
RABAUL (1)
1916-41
BOPPLE
1911-49
MACQUARIE
1909-45
COOMBAR
1912-95
SUVA
1938-63
BOPPLE image (169408p)courtesy State Library Queensland, MACQUARIE (04969r) image courtesy State Library New South Wales, COOMBAR image personal collection, SUVA image courtesy Australian War Memorial
RABAUL (1) 5618 tons. Lb: 129.7 x 16.9 metres. Built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen as the George Washington for A/S Borgaa (Fred Olsen), Kristiania. A steel hulled cargo only vessel, refrigerated, twin screw, diesel engine making 11 knots. Owned by W.R.Carpenter & Co from 1934 and renamed Rabaul. Shelled and sunk on 14 May 1941. The survivors being imprisoned in enemy hands until war's end
BOPPLE 267 gross tons. Lbd: 127'1" x 24'2" x 8'. Steel steamship built by Ardrossan Drydock & Engineering Co., Ardrossan. Held a compounded engine situated aft. Built for Robert Hart of Maryborough, Queensland. Later of Wilson, Hart & Co Ltd., Maryborough, carrying mainly timber. July 1936 chartered to AUSN Co for initially two trips carrying timber from Maryborough to North Queensland. Placed whilst still under charter on the sugar trade from Bundaberg and extended that run to Rockhampton in 1934. Further trips were made to southern ports under charter to AUSN Co including timber from Grafton New South Wales, (a first ever time visit for AUSN Co., as was a port 40 miles inland on the Clarence River) to Mackay Queensland. 1935 back with Wilson, Hart & Co, carrying timbers both North and South and made unavailable for charter thereon. August 1936 owned by W R Carpenter & Co., Sydney. March 1937 transferred ownership to their subsidiary, Cocoanut Products Ltd., Rabaul. October 1938 owned by George S White of Sydney. Sold 1949 to unknown owners and converted into a lighter. Fate unknown
MACQUARIE 493 gross tons. Lbd: 160'2" x 29'1" x 9'. Steel twin screw steamship, passenger-cargo and refrigerated as built by Earles at Hull, England for N Cain's Coastal Co-Operative Steamship Co Ltd., Sydney. Worked the Hastings River - Port Macquarie route. Upon liquidation, was sold during 1929 to North Coast S N Co., Sydney as N Cain's last remaining vessel, along with the service and goodwill. Ran the Port MacQuarie route until sold again in 1929 to A G Palser of Sydney and registered at Wellington, New Zealand. 1935 was owned by On Chong & Co Ltd., (Sydney). Purchased by W R Carpenter & Co., date unknown who since, in 1937 sold to her to N E A Moller registered Shanghai and renamed Marie Moller. Employed as a salvage vessel. Captured by Japanese forces off Ningpo on December 8th 1941, renamed Kyokko Maru. Mined and sunk 12.26N/98.38E 1st January 1945
COOMBAR 594 gross tons. Lbd: 172'8" x 29'7" x 10'10". Steamship, cargo only as built 1912 by Murdoch & Murray, Port Glasgow for North Coast S.N. Co, Sydney. Held compound 4 cylinder engine, coal fired. 1937 W R Carpenter & Co, Sydney. Early 1940 owned by Wm Crosby & Co, Melbourne. 7th November 1940 chartered to AUSN Co, Sydney and employed on their intrastate trade, Bundaberg - Brisbane. She was returned to her owners at Sydney on 6th January 1941. 1941-1946 converted into and serviced as RAN Minesweeper. 1946 sold to Singapore interests. 1948 renamed San David. 1949 sold to Haiphong registered owners & renamed Orion. 1956 sold to Vietnam interests & renamed Trung Thin. Deleted from register in 1967
SUVA 4873 tons. Lb: 128.6 x 17.3 metres. Steel single screw steamship built by Bartram at South Dock for W.R.Carpenter & Co Ltd, Suva. Cargo only, triple expansion engine making 11 knots. Served WW2. Broken up at Hong Kong May 1963


Ed Ed Ed Ed Ed
EDNA
1912-47
PERIOD
1907-70's
LEVUKA
1945-77
LAUTOKA (11)
1945-72
INNISFAIL
1912-60
EDNA image possibly one and the same of this Company ownership. PERIOD (Howard Smith Livery) & LEVUKA images personal collection, LAUTOKA (11) image as Devanha of the P & O Line, INNISFAIL image (303421) courtesy Australian War Memorial
EDNA 2244 tons. Lb: 86.3 x 13.4 metres. Steel single screw steamship, built as John A. Hooper by Harlan & Hollingsworth AT Wilmington DE, USA for Sudden & Christenson, San Francisco. Single screw, triple expansion engine making 11.5 knots. Cargo only. 1917 owned by W R Grace & Co, New York and renamed Santa Alicia. 1920 Owners name altered as Grace Steam Ship Co Incorporated. 1922 owned by Western Marcantile Marine Corp, San Francisco & renamed Edna Christenson. 1925 owners Sudden & Christenson. 1937 owned by Yung Yung Steam Ship Co, Chefoo China. Vessel 'perhaps' renamed Kwang Yuan. 1941 renamed Edna when owned by W R Carpenter Overseas Shipping Co Ltd, Panama. Editors note: - Although a Panamanian registry is out of place for this owner, the likelihood of another owner of exact name and initials seems unlikely. Owing to the WW2 climate at the time, and, location to Country of vessel purchase, it can be understood that this was a safe port of Registry. 1943 sold to C S T Ltd, GBR Suva. 1946 owned by Shanghai Development Co Ltd, Shanghai China and renamed Hu Kiang. 24 January 1947 wrecked 39.45N/123.02E
PERIOD 2,791 tons. Lb: 100.7 x 13.8 metres. steel single screw steamship built by Dixon (Raylton) at Middlesbrough for Howard Smith Co Ltd, Melbourne. Cargo only, triple expansion engine making 10 knots. 1946 sold to W R Carpenter. 1947 sold to Tung An Shipping Co and renamed Tung Ziang. 1950 renamed Pacifico when owned by Chinese Government. 1952 renamed Ho Ping 41967 renamed Zhan Dou 4. Deleted from register 1970's
LEVUKA 7, 611 gross tons 8,580 dwt. Built as Dungeness by West Coast Shipbuilders, Vancouver, BC for the British Royal Navy. Fleet Role: Landing Craft Maintenance. Type: Victory Completion Date: October 1945. 1947 sold to W R Carpenter & Co. Ltd., Sydney and renamed Levuka. 1948 sold to British Phosphate Commissioners, London and renamed Triadic. Broken up at Shanghai March 1977
LAUTOKA (11) 7,130 gross tons. Built as Tarbat Ness by West Coast Shipbuilders, Vancouver, BC for the British Royal Navy. Fleet Role: Projected Maintenance Ship, sold and completed as merchant ship.Type: Victory. Completion Date: May 1945. 1947 sold to Pacific Shipowners Ltd., Suva, Fiji (W R Carpenter & Son Ltd., Sydney) and renamed Lautoka (11). Sold 1947 to Peninsula & Oriental S.N. Co. London and renamed Devanha. 1961 sold and renamed Fortune Canary. 1964 renamed Wing An. 1972 scrapped
INNISFAIL 399 gross tons. Lb: 144'4" x 32'2'. Steel twin screw steamship built as the Blaxland by Mackie & Thomson Ltd., Govan, Glasgow for Allen Taylor & Co., Sydney. Two compounded engines set aft. Cargo vessel. Service speed 9 knots. Worked Camden Haven. Sold 1915 to William Holyman & Sons. Sold 1916 to Australian Steamships Pty Ltd (Howard Smith) and vessel's name changed to Innisfail. She then worked out of Townsville Queensland. Requisitioned during World War 2 and returned to owners in 1946. 1947 owned by W.R.Carpenter & Co Ltd, Port Moresby. 1949 sold to Lisin Nav Co Ltd, China. Deleted from Lloyd's Register 1960


Ed Ed
LAKEMBA
1946-67
LAKEMBA left side image personal collection, right side image courtesy Australian War Memorial
LAKEMBA 7130 gross tons. Lb: Length 440 ft beam 57 ft . Laid down as HMS Spurn Point for the British Navy 1945. Built by Burrard at Vancouver as a single screw steamship, triple expansion making 11 knots. Cargo only. Acquired 1947 by Pacific Shipowners Ltd., Suva, Fiji (W.R. Carpenter Ltd., Sydney). She was refitted with accomodation for 98 passengers and placed on a run Vancouver, Honolulu, Fiji and Sydney. Service speed stated at 12 knots. 1967 5th October she ran aground on a reef off Vatulele - Fiji (18.36S/177.48E) and sank in deep water four days later


Ed Ed Ed Ed
RABAUL (11)
1946-65
NANDI
1943-72
MEKLONG
1945-96
Both RABAUL (11) images as P & O vessel Dongola, leftside as postcard in issue, 2nd image personal collection, NANDI image as zelengora
RABAUL (11) 7,371 gross tons, 4,397 net. Deadweight 10,353 tonnes (10,190 tons). Lbd: 129.37m (424.6ft) x 17.43m (57.2ft) x 10.63m (34.9ft). Triple-expansion steam engine 2,250ihp 9.5 knots. Steel single screw cargo steamship built as Orfordness by West Coast Shipbuilders, Vancouver, BC for the British Royal Navy. Fleet Role: Projected Maintenance Ship, sold and completed as merchant ship . Type: Victory. Completion Date: October 1946. 1947 sold to W.R. Carpenter & Co. Ltd., Sydney and renamed Rabaul. Sold 1947 to Peninsula & Oriental S.N. Co. London and renamed Dongola. Employed upon the Australia - India and later UK - Pakistan services. Sold 1961 renamed Apj Ashwini. 1965: Scrapped at Bombay, India
NANDI 7067 gross tons. Lb: 431x56 feet. Built by Gray at W Hartlepool as the Empire Nigel for the Ministry of War Transport, West Hartlepool. 1944 Archangel, U.S.S.R.(lend-lease), 1944 Archangel'sk, U.S.S.R.(lend-lease), 1946 Empire Nigel Ministry of Transport UK. 1947 renamed NANDI, when owned by W R Carpenter, Suva, Fiji. 1948 renamed Bristol City when owned by the Bristol City Line, Bristol. 1957 named Zelengora, for owner - Splosna Plovidba, Yugoslavia. 1971 enamed Taras, as owned by Cia de Nav. Portland, Panama. 1972 Scrapped at Split
MEKLONG 394 gross tons. Built by Bartram at South Dock as the Empire Mayrose for Ministry of War Transport, Sunderland. 1947 renamed Mawai, Straits Steamship Co.1954 renamed Meklong, for Pacific Shipowners Ltd, Australia (W R Carpenter). 1957 owned by Lanena Shipping Co, Hong Kong. 1960 renamed Karang Djawa under ownership of Tonglip Shipping Corp (Garina Line), Indonesia. Deleted from register 1996



Ed Ed Ed
AI SOKULA (1)
1941-58
AI SOKULA (11)
1945-95
PARNDANA/KOMAIWAI
1955-___
PARNDANA image courtesy Willem Schutter
AI SOKULA (1) 556 gross tons. Lb: 52.1 x 8.8 metres. Repair ship, steel hull single screw steam propulsion. Built as the Hotsu Maru by Mitsui at Tamano. Japan for Nippon Salvage K.K., Tokyo. Held triple expansion engine.1948 renamed Hotu Maru, when acquired by W R Carpenter (New Guinea) Ltd, under GBR registered Company via Port Moresby registry. 1950 ownership recorded as New Guinea Co Ltd. Later during 1950 renamed Manam under ownership of W R Carpenter, GBR Suva. 1952 renamed AI SOKULA for Pacific Shipowners Ltd, Australia. (W R Carpenter) GBR Suva. 1954 renamed Oliver Mac. 1956 owned by Hong Kong Rolling Mills Ltd, GBR Hong Kong. Broken up at the Hong Kong Rolling Mills 3rd quarter of 1958
AI SOKULA (11) 394 gross tons. Lb: 144 x 27 feet. Cargo vessel built as the Empire Maybury by Cook Welton & Gemmell at Beverley for the Ministry of War Transport, Hull. 1948 renamed Hong Ann, Ho Hong Steamship Co, Singapore. 1954 renamed AI SOKULA for Pacific Shipowners Ltd, Australia. (W R Carpenter). 1963 renamed Nei Raete II, Milne Bros, Marshall Islands. Deleted from register 1995
PARNDANA/KOMAIWAI 470 gross tons. Built by Scheepswerven Geb. Van Diepen N.V. in Waterhuizen, Holland, in 1955. Port of registry - Adelaide for Coast Steamships Ltd. Passenger accommodation - 1 berth, 2 passengers. Sold 15 May 1963 to Island Industries Ltd, Fiji, a subsidiary of W R Carpenter & Co. Sailed from Port Adelaide 18 May 1963. 1963 renamed Komaiwai. 1971 of Island Transport Ltd Fiji, Suva. 1974 owned by A V Groom, Suva Fiji. 1977 owned by Taoniu Williams Sg Co., Suva Fiji. 1985 owners Cathay International Sg Services Corp. Suva Fiji. 1987 owners Pan Pacific Sg Corp, Suva Fiji. 1989 owned by Seatrade (Fiji) Ltd, Suva Fiji


TOP of PAGE HOME!


2007-12 ©John E Hoskin/Flotilla- Australia
All Rights Reserved